[VIEW FFRP FORUMS]
The RPG Consortium Free Form Roleplaying Forums Archives
Forums > Dragonlance Saga Roleplaying > The NEWBIE adventure

Pages: [1] 2
Ontarys
02/26/2002 10:46 AM

OOC: I took the liberty to read a couple of threads and noticed some ill treatment of some newbies, LOL some of the people complaining are'nt much out of the newbie stage themselves. Though not totally wrong in their critisism (sp) it's not a good idea to join a thread thats been on going for a while. I wont name names but.....I think it should've been handled differently.
So here it goes..........

Newbies if you wish here is an adventure for you, and all who wish to join.

OOC2: of course........I play Shantu >:) lol :D

Your characters are slaves in an underground retention camp controlled by ogres. The surrounding lands are under ogre control. You must escape (with the help of whoever wishes to join the thread) and lead a rebellion against the evil ogre lord 'Shantu' (gee lol already have a seque in mind).
OH.........Welcome to the forum :) I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

dylar
02/26/2002 10:49 AM

OOC: Can I join in? I'm not much of a newb anymore, but I always enjoy smacking around some orges!"The light at the end of the tunnel may only lead to darkness, but also at the end of that tunnel there will be...ME!"

-ME-

Ontarys
02/26/2002 10:51 AM

OOC: sure..its for everyone, just wanted to give them an oppurtinty to be a focal point in a thread.. lets see if they wanna join first before we proceed though lol.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

dylar
02/26/2002 10:58 AM


focal point

OOC:hmmmm.....that might get in the way with my char's personality, but I'll try to pen him in."The light at the end of the tunnel may only lead to darkness, but also at the end of that tunnel there will be...ME!"

-ME-

Dogar_Setton
02/27/2002 8:59 AM

"Ill treatment of some Newbies" !?! HEY, I'm a Newbie ! Why, I oughtta ....... *(shakes his fist in impotent rage) >:( j/k


Seriously though, I wouldn't mind joining this. I'm new here and I suppose I do have a lot to learn. Good idea Ontarys, I'm gonna check back here after you get the story kinda underway and drop in my Char......... NEWBIES UNITE!!!!!!!! :) :) :)


" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

Ontarys
02/27/2002 9:26 AM

"What do you mean production in the mines is down!!!!!!!!! Get those worthless retches to work harder or they will not be fed. ADD to there work time to make up for lost production. They will work for 18 hours now."

The servent nodded in obedience as his decree was pronounced and silently left the room.

Shantu was growing increasingly angry at the recent lax behavior of his slaves. They slowly began to become more resiliant and defiant of authority of late. "Someone is causing them to do this. I must make an example of one of them before they even THINK of rebelling, the ore is just too precious."

An intruiging idea came to mind as he overlooked the swarm of people slaving and grunting in the undergound mind that expanded for miles and miles. "They will pay for their insolence.................they will pay.........


OOC: ok.....I tried to start somthing for the new guys but........if they dont wanna join........im kinda starting to like this myself lol! Jump in whenever you want dylar and dogar.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

[Edited by Ontarys on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 9:35 AM]

Tiver_Neehigh
02/27/2002 9:30 AM

OOC: Ontarys this sounds alot like one of my first adventures I had in a Forgotten Realms campaign. Man I miss those days sitting around a table yelling at everyone as everyone tried to do one thing at the same time. Those days were great to bad their gone. Ontarys thanks for the memory recap, and as for being a newbie I know I am still but that half the fun of it.

Laters I'll keep reading this as long as it doesn't die off. Have fun!"If you think these are the sayings of insane mad man, then you've nevered messed with a kender with a cold." - Me

Dogar_Setton
02/27/2002 10:11 AM

OOC: I'll put in a new Character, ummmmmmm......... Ryle, yeh, that sounds good. He'll be a Human mercenary from Sanction, captured by the Ogres, when they sacked the merchant caravan he was guarding.


Ryle, rolled over wearily on the pile of straw that served as his bed in this cursed hole. He stared vacantly at the muddy, dripping ceiling above him, then closed his eyes and relaxed completely, trying to let his torn and stretched muscles find some comfort while they could. The mercenary's scarred, filth-encrusted hand brushed absently along the row of notches on the wall to his left; a long while ago, too long, when Ryle was first captured, he'd thought he would keep track of the days he was in here by scratching the wall at the bottom, once for each day. He stopped awhile ago, when he ran out of wall to scratch; the truth was just too depressing to face.

With a grunt and a curse Ryle sat up from his makeshift bed and walked stiffly around the cell, smiling grimly as the other prisoners scrabbled and fought for the swordsman's vacant resting place. They would give it back to him if he asked, he knew that, as did they; in their time below the ogre encampment they had come to respect and fear the barbaric-looking mercenary, and would give him his due. They didn't like him though, that much was apparent in the hateful looks and muttered curses they often hurled his way. Most of the prisoners in his cell were the merchants he had been captured trying to protect. They seemed to think that Ryle should have given his life in noble sacrifice to save them. Ryle thought otherwise.

Curling his lip derisively at the lead merchant, a pompous dandy named Felaris Clothenfeld, the fighter turned to lean heavily on the bars to his cell, peering through the dim lighting of the hallway into the multitude of other cells beyond. Maybe this was'nt so bad, Ryle began to think,trying to convince himself. After all, his father had been a miner, and he had seemed somewhat happy, at least from what Ryle remembered. He too, coulkd grow to like this life, living among the rocks and mud, the undisputed master of his cell. Yes he would come to like theis place, he ordered himself forcefully, and begin to whistle a merry tune.


A rotund ogre jailkeep named Grebik strolled jauntily, almost happily, down the hallway. Ryle whistle died on his lips as he saw the beast. He knew from long and painful experience that when Grebik was in a good mood, it meant dire news for somebody, usually him. He grimaced as the monster thrust his sadistic countenance up against his cell door.

"I have good news slave" the Ogre giggled, a thoroughly gruesome and ponderous sound " The master he want quota up. Need more ore, lots more. You gotta work 18 hours tomorrow, have fun, slave"

Ryle hung his head at the prospect of more work, kicked at the wall in fury. Whatever contentedness he hoped to find in this place would be long in coming, he was sure of that..............

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

dylar
02/27/2002 10:52 AM

Dylar fidjeted in his heavilly soiled robes. It had been all too long since he had been free. Curse those ogres for capturing his party and forcing his labor. His mind wandered back just far enough to remember his cool northern cottage before a whip cracked across his back.

He could bear it no longer......

OOC: Got a question....how do you feel about custome races? Mine is half feline with and alternate form......whould that work out? "The light at the end of the tunnel may only lead to darkness, but also at the end of that tunnel there will be...ME!"

-ME-

TolkaninFaznin
02/27/2002 7:48 PM

((OOC: okay, been rolling this around on my tounge for a bit and figured I'd better just say it . . . . I can have a rather quick temper (part Irish, what can I say?) , and though I'm not saying I should have not said anything at all, I probably could have said it a bit nicer. On that note, I hope you'll let me enter :: sheepish grin :: ))

ic; Bakitelithasan shifted the water bucket as she made her rounds. The large, iron weight strained her arms and the water usually sloshed out on her torn garments as she made her way from cell to cell, trying to make sure Grebick was always ahead of her.

Bakie was strong, like most elves, but her time here had dulled her eyes and disposition, and she wasn't the willful spirit that she used to be. True, she also wasn't recieving the whip's tounge as often either, which perhaps was part of the reason she now shuffled her feet and held her head low in a way her people would have been disgusted to see.

But here there were no other Silvanesti. She, being too willful for her father, had run off only to find how lucky she had been.

Grebick stopped to talk to one of the prisoners. Probably that quiet one, the one most others revered . . . his name? She could never remember names. It had been too long . . . she had seen too many fall to care anymore about knowing names. Losing faces had been hard enough.

Grebick turned his attention to another who had paused momentarily in his work. Bakie winced at the sound of the whip cracking . . . it never got easier . . . . she felt it with each crack she heard, remembered how it bit against her back. Watching the interchange with empathy, she approached the prisoner Grebick had been talking with and raised the ladel.

"Water, sir?" She asked quietly."Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

Dogar_Setton
02/28/2002 3:28 PM

"Water, Sir?"

Ryle looked up suddenly at the sound of the voice. It was the girl, the elven girl whom the ogres had forced into a life of oppression and drudgery. She was offering him a ladle of foul water, eyes downcast in a way learned from the sharp lectures of the lash, from months of beatings and confinement. Ryle recognized her, though he knew not her name......... at least, not her real name, he knew what the ogres called her.......

"WHORE!" Ryle watched the girl jump as Grebick bellowed to her from across the hallway. "What you do whore? You talk to Slave, to the Troublemaker? You think we let you live so you talk, stupid girl, Grebick show you how to talk. YOU TALK NOW!!!!" The bestial jailer brandished a whip, brought it shrieking down across the shoulders of the trembling girl. The blow flayed open the back of her tunic, drew blood like crimson tears. The fighter watched from his cell as the girl stumbled to the floor, gasping from the pain, dropping the water bucket. Gebicks eyes brightened as the dirty liquid flowed across the rough-hewn floor.

" You drop water, Girl. Grebick tell you never drop water. Stupid girl need lesson." The whip raised again, coiling and swaying in the dim torchlight like some malicious serpent. The girl tensed on the floor, weeping silently, awaiting the blow.

It never fell.

Quick as thought, Ryles wiry arm shot through the bars of the cage, grasped onto the brutal overseer's wrist like an iron clamp. Ryle had seen enough of Grebicks callous treatment of the girl, of his sadistic games. The ogre could beat someone with more fight in them if that was what he wanted, but he wouldn't touch the girl. With a sharp yank the fighter hauled Grebicks arm through the cell door, then threw his weight against it, shattering the elbow. He winked at the girl and grinned viciously as the huge slobs face contorted into an astonished shriek, as the ogre whimpered and gibbered like a captured goblin at the pain. Ryle had waited a long time for this. He kept hold of the now purple wrist, pounding savagely, mechanically upon the ogres broken bone, drawing squeals of pain from Grebick, cheers and hoots from the other prisoners. He let the beasts arm go at length, dealing the ogre a swift kick to the stomach as he stumbled back, to ensure he didn't get up right away. He turned to the girl, watched her as she shivered with shock at the melee.

"Run girl!" Ryle shouted to her. "They won't touch you now, they'll be occupied with me."

The girl turned to run, hesitated, as if unsure what to do. Pivoting back to face Ryle, she squeezed the mercenary's hand in thanks, then kicked the unconcious Grebick quickly and sharply in the face. Flashing the fighter a final, thankful smile over her shoulder, she bolted down the hallway and into the shadows.

Ryle turned his head to the far door, the door to the ogres chambers, as it burst open under the kick of two of the local..... Correctional Staff, as the ogre-lord Shantu had termed them. They searched for him in the semi-darkness, found him quickly enough; the majority of the damn merchants in his cell were pointing silently at him, he realized. They opened the door to his cell dragged him down the shadowed corridors to what was known among the ogres as the correctional room. And as Ryle was being strapped to one of the nameless contraptions his masters used to keep unruly slaves in line, he remembered the girls last thankful smile. "I've done my good deed for the day," the swordsman muttered to himself " perhaps whatever gods there are will recognize that and somehow make this turn on the rack less painful than the last."

They didn't. And Ryle screamed long into the night.........





" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

[Edited by Dogar_Setton on Thursday, February 28, 2002 3:35 PM]

Slyknife
02/28/2002 6:34 PM

((OOC: Because of my short fuse with impatience, I'll help out the newb's in any way I can, but I can only offer advicem, writing a novel for publishing is a tedious task, any questions and I'll help, I'll try to join in later!))"You know if there was one thing I think could help this, it'd be putting a gnome in a cannon" Solaris said.
"You always want to put a gnome in a cannon" Paedon said smiling.
"Yeah, but haven't you?" Solaris added.

dylar
03/01/2002 10:54 AM

OOC:Well....has anyone seen Ont? He's the DM of this shindig. I'd be glad to get started anytime now."The light at the end of the tunnel may only lead to darkness, but also at the end of that tunnel there will be...ME!"

-ME-

Ontarys
03/01/2002 5:01 PM

Overlooking the slaving masses Shantu could see almost everything. His eyes had grown accustomed to the darkness of the underground mines. He noticed not too far in the distance an old woman slowly making her way through the throng of people, carrying a jug of water much to large and heavy for her to be carrying at her old age. She stumbled over some debri lying on the ground, dropping the precious water that kept the slaves in her area going.

A pall of silence swiftly engulfed the small area occupied by the busy workers, sweat glistening off their ashen faces. The could hear the loud click of heavy boots slowly approach.

The old woman stood, teeth chattering as Shantu stooped to pick up a piece of the shattered jug in his hand. "FOOLISH old woman, because of your clumsiness the digmen in this section will have no water today. Even now they stop to look at what you have done.........costing me......MONEY"

"I i am sorry sir, its just that I am old. The jug was too heavy for me to carry. It will not happen again I promise. I refuse to have the burden of carrying such a thing any longer I will die first."

With a look of callousness and hatred in his eyes he spat on the floor and snickered. "I am sre you will not do it again, of this I am cetain."
With a swift movement of his hand he slit the old womans throat with the sharp edge of the broken jug. Lazily he let her fall to the groound in a heap as she took her last breath. "LET THIS BE A LESSON TO YOU ALL. All who oppose me face death."

Without a second thought he turned and continued on with 'importatnt 'matters at hand, like.....how much more he could make the slaves work.

His loyal servant in tow he proceeded to his quarters as if nothing ever happened. "Sire, you must know that actions like those will one day cause a revolt. To murder one of her age in full veiw of everyone will only make their rage burn as never before. Take care that you do not tempt them to your own destruction."

Shantu had come to respect the advise of his overseer but this time he had overstepped his bounds. A swift fist to hisnose caused the unsuspecting servant to fall over backwards in shock.

"FOOL! do you know why I need more ore???? Have you forgotten the Red dragon to the east of my borders has asked for a tribute or she shall raze my lands........as well as myself? I could care less for thos pitiful slaves and their hardships..........They are pawns. Imagine the power I will weild if I can forge an allegiance with this dragon...With her blessing I cold rule more than just these small villages and barbarian lands that I know control. I want more. AND I WILL HAVE IT! When the time is right I wont need these slaves anymore......or these filthy mines,,,,,Then.....then they will see how cruel I am...................................when I offer them to the dragon......"

OOC: I know........he's cruel isnt he LOL >:) but thats a loooong ways down the road.
I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

Ontarys
03/01/2002 5:02 PM

OOC: oh...........and custom races are fine DylarI put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

Dogar_Setton
03/02/2002 7:45 AM

He should have been dead. Indeed, death would most likely be preferable to the pain he was going through. Ryle lay spread-eagled on the stone floor of the Isolation Cell, his muscles twitching spasmodically as the spasms overtook him, his face a mask of blood. His ogre torturers had left him to lay on the floor of the cell, left him to think on how stupid he had been to defy them. The swordsman groaned and reached to his brow, wiping the blood away from his brow with a shivering hand.

Once Ryle had thought of Ogres as being stupid, dull, moronic beasts; only little more intelligent than animals. He had believed fervently that the ogres had no culture, no scientific advancements, no technological marvels because they were too dense and unimaginative to develop them, now he realized he had been wrong. The reason, Ryle thought miserably, that they appear to have absolutely no advancements in their society is that they have put all their energy into a single field, a field that the hulking beasts pursued lovingly and enthusiastically; torture. The mercenary took stock of his injuries, marvelling at the ogres cunning even as his mind burned with hatred for them. His torturers had beaten and battered him, stretched, burned, pulled and twisted various portions of his anatomy, yet they had not injured him; at least, not in any way that would impede his ability to work. 'It was his mind they wanted broken,' one of his brutish hosts had told him while oiling its beloved tools of the trade, 'his mind and spirit, not his body. They had a need for that.'

A need for that, Ryle mused. Well if they needed his body perhaps he'd deprive them of it, deny them the luxury of having him work for them. All he would was a dagger, or some poison, a sharp rock even. The swordsman had seen a man take his life in that way before, right before a battle with a minataur regiment. He could do it too, all he'd have to do was..............

Ryle was startled from his revery by a scuffling noise outside the door of his cell. Someone was out there! Not the Ogres, his pain fogged mind told him, too quiet to be the Ogres, someone different, someone who is perhaps in the same position as I. Gathering his courage and will about him Ryle gasped out a question too the stranger he could'nt see.

" Who.... who is there?...... Do I..... know you?...... speak.......please...." .............................................




(( OOC: I thought I'd leave the way open for someones character to speak with mine, Dylar? Tolk? Or perhaps a new character would like to jump in?........))

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

Ontarys
03/02/2002 10:30 AM

OOC: Very good post Dogar.... You will definatly need help and hopefully at least one of them will come to the door.Now whee gonna get things rolling >:) :oI put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

icedragon
03/04/2002 6:53 AM

((ooh I'd like to join. My character is really a dragon, a silver dragon. But she is trapped in human form because of a spell placed on her by a magi. Hmm, I haven't thought in too much detail how it happened, but I can think of that later. She was captured by the ogres and is now kept in the mines. They can barely get any work out of her though and the amulet she has around her neck (part of the curse) prevents her from using too much of her magic. I'm knida new so if anyone wants to offer advice that eb great!...but be kind ;)))

There came a groan from the cell across from Ryle. Kilihan pulled her self off of the cold stone floor. She put her hand up to her head and felt warm blood .

"Damn" she hissed, she had paid once again for her stubborness. Her whole body ached.

The ogres rather enjoyed torturing this defiant woman, who seemed to be able to endure so much. She was dressed in once light blue robes, now torn and dirty. Her beautiful silver hair had lost some of it's glow beneath the grime from the mines and her eyes were a light blue. She was slight of frame but there was something about her that seemed...... so much more powerful, her light eyes pierced the soul of any she looked at. Kilihan could see a slight outline of a man across from her, her vision slightly blurred from the blood.

"Who is there...do I...know you....speak please....

"What do you want human" Kilihan snarled in no mood for conversation, but intrigued never the less of hearing something other then sound of ogre's ramblings.



[Edited by icedragon on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 4:29 AM]

[Edited by icedragon on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 5:58 AM]

Dogar_Setton
03/05/2002 7:47 AM

Ryle grinned sarcastically to himself as he listened to Kilihan's voice floating to him through the cracks in the door. " 'What do I want?' , she asks me, what does she think I want, a cup of tea?!" Ryle pulled himself up to the barred window of the Isolation Cell, peered into the oily darkness. " I want freedom, woman, or the means to take that freedom. I want a sword, a tunnel to the surface, a magic ring to teleport me to some tavern with a wench on my lap, I'd even take a Gnome with some harebrained contraption in my cell, if there was the off chance that it'd blow up and bring this wretched hole down in ruins." The mercenary paused to scrape away the crusted blood around his eyes. " But since those dreams seem far off at the moment, I'll settle for someone to talk to, so I guess you fit the bill. So what did you........." Ryle trailed of into a mumble, squinted into the others cell, "Hey! I know you! I was there the day the ogres brought you in, them and Shantu's wretched pet wizard. You're the lady mage, right? I forget your name..... Kalleen?......... Kolahan?......... Kili......."

"Kilihan," came a voice, ringing like a silver bell in the gloom, " the name is Kilihan, slave. And what do you know about my magic?"

Slave! Ryle tensed at the word, gritted his teeth at the hated sound of it. "I know you can't use it, Kilihan. I've listened to the ogres talk. I've heard them say that you're at the mercy of the Black Robe in the Tower, that, down here you're as crippled and weak as the rest of us, a SLAVE like the rest of us. So don't think you're in any way superior to me or anyone else down here, whether they're a prissy merchant, a potato-digging farmer, or a short-tempered mercenary; in the Mines we're all equal. You'll learn that soon enough." The swordsman paused, letting his words sink into the womans head. " The name's Ryle by the way, Ryle Brennick. "

" I apologize sla..., I mean, ...Ryle. I meant no offense, it's just hard to consider myself a slave. Maybe in time I'll learn to get used to it, I'll......"

" No." Ryles voice was raspy, violent, bitter. " Never get used to it. Defy them, fight them, hate them.It'll be the only thing you can cling to in this gods forsaken hole. I...."

Ryle snapped his mouth shut as the door to the cells burst open, revealing a dark figure framed by the glaring light of torches. And as the prisoners tturned away, shielding their light sensitive eyes, the figure in the doorway spoke..............

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

dylar
03/05/2002 11:00 AM

OOC: Thanks Ont!

IC: Dylar watched as the woman fell to the ground in a helpless bleeding lump. His rage began to boil up in him and without warning he spread his claws and dove at his captor. No manner of clearity crossed his mind.

"NO MORE!"

Bits of flame began to well up in his hands as well, burning scars into his foe. "The light at the end of the tunnel may only lead to darkness, but also at the end of that tunnel there will be...ME!"

-ME-

icedragon
03/06/2002 5:20 AM

The light from behind the door was suddenly blocked by a large figure. The two couldn't see who was standing there but they could smell what it was. Kilihan gave a loud snarl. Ryle turned in her direction surprised by the sound coming from her, wondering how a human could snarl as such. The ogre had been about to grumble when suddenly from up above came the faint sound.
"NO MORE!"
A puzzled look came across the ogres face and he looked up toward the sound. But apparently it was behind his concern or maybe beyond his thinking capabilities to worry and he walked into the room. He stopped in between Ryle's and Kilihan's cells, his back to Ryle.

"Stupid woman need get up, time for more...work" he said as he laughed in a deep voice.

"You mean time for you to have more fun" Kilihan snapped back.

"Whatever you want it mean girl" he grinned showing a mouth missing half of it's teeth.

Then suddenly a thought seemed to cross his small mind. He looked towards Ryle."You come too" he snarled "have two more times fun"

He opened Kilihan's cage first and dragged her out. Her feet and arms were already shackled. They left them on all the time. He dropped her on the floor knowing she wouldn't get far, she was stonger then most humans but she was exhausted.The big ogre then turned toward Ryle's cage. Suddenly Kilihan closed her eyes. Ryle started as he heard a faint voice in his head, he turned towards Kilihan.

"I have some magic left they don't know about huma.....Ryle" the naming coming a bit clumsily. "We have to get out of here and perhaps nows our chance, something is going on upstairs, it could provide us with a distract....."

The ogre had finshed shackling Ryle and was dragging him out. He kicked Kilihan hard in the stomach. "Wake up stupid girl" he snarled.

Ryle looked towards Kilihan laying crumpled on the floor her breath harsh. The ogre laughed then grabbed her by her hair and hauled her up and then began dragging both towards the door.

(( Do you think I should have the ogre's know I'm a dragon, or perhaps just the mage? I'm not sure. So what do you think so far, how am I doing?))Liana Nirel of Duryan

[Edited by icedragon on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 6:05 AM]

sylvan
03/06/2002 6:55 AM

/ooc If you don't mind, I'll throw myself in here

/ic

A pair of steel-grey eyes glinted in the gloom as the Elf heard the mental communication. He had been sneaking down to this side tunnel from his usual work station almost every day since he had felt the first twinge of clean magic from the solitary confinement cells down the corridor. The ogres hadn't noticed, of course... one slave was the same as another, and what did it matter where they worked, so long as they did? As long as his chisel was carving, he would be safe here.

And the chisel was carving... *scrape, scrape, scrape* running along the rock face, smoothing the tunnel as he'd been taught. And with every scrape the manacles grated on the hard rock face.

His keen ears had heard the sounds from above as well, of course, and he moved faster.

*scrape, scrape, scrape*

In the dimly lit passage, the bloodstains from his often-torn wrists were almost indistinguishable.

*scrape, scrape, scrape*

The metal bands were nearly gone.

He worked at the last, frail millimeters of iron and waited for the arrival of the woman whose clear voice in his mind had brought him hope.

Ontarys
03/06/2002 7:27 AM

OOC: Your doing fine icedragon, wasnt expecting someone to be a dragon(they really make things difficult in a thread like this). If you choose to show yourself as a dragon........i'll have to think of somthing to even up the odds :o so.....do it at your own risk >:) lol.

OOC2: Wasnt expecting an attack by you either dylar...... but.......at least he's bold, sounds like he could be a good hero.....but he's gonna get punished now >:) maybe that will open it up for you to meet the others.

BIC:

"NO MORE!"


Was all Shantu heard as he was attacked, he was caught momentarilly offgaurd by the brazen captor. Burning scars cut through his shirt burning his skin slighty. Avoiding the brunt of the attack he was able to regroup himself. He held his arm breifly and shrugged..........just another scar to add to the many that he had 'aquired' over his years of battle and conquest.

Guards who where caught off guard as well quickly surrounded dylar, spears and torches hplding him at bay. Shantu walked smoothly toward him with a grimace n his already 'unattractive' face. His huge ogre frame heaved in and out with every breath he took. One blow to dylars face and he lay slumped on the ground as guards held him in check.

"FOOL! You dare lay your hands on me? That is basis for death, you will serve as another example of what is to happen to those who oppose me. But.........this time it will be a public display. On the morrow you will be executed........a message to any other who would wish to be so brash.
Take the fool to the dungeon."

With a stiff kick to dylar's stomach Shantu glared at the slaves who had stopped their work. Quickly they scrambled to their tasks in fear of being punished. "Yes look on.........for...tomorrow there will be a site for you all to see.....I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

icedragon
03/07/2002 5:00 AM

(( Well I don't think my dragon form will show because I'm trapped in human form by the black robed mage, I don't think even with his death could I be set free...I was thinking maybe I need to find someone who knew of the curse he set on me, because he definitly won't tell me. But that's way later, perhaps for another story. Does that make the thread less difficult? But I think I will have some of my magic abilities and some of my former strength. I just thought I'd be different is all ;) ))Liana Nirel of Duryan

[Edited by icedragon on Thursday, March 7, 2002 5:01 AM]

TolkaninFaznin
03/07/2002 6:02 AM

Bakie didn't know what made her do it.

She had been bold when she first arrived, but she had never done anything this rash and had calmed quite a bit since she'd been there.

She had launched her heavy iron waterbucket with incredible aim right at Shantu's head.
"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

dylar
03/07/2002 11:04 AM

OOC: Ouch!

BIC: Dylar fell to the ground with a muffled cry. The last sound he heard before the blackness. He awoke in his cell. The dank(yes it is a reall word!) smell of mold and mildew stung his nostrils and roused him.

"Blast that ogre! By Sansphir's silver shaft I'll kill him!", Dylar shouted out in pure defiance which was soon met with a laugh by the guards outside.

OOC: I'll leave it up to a newb to find Dylar. Maybe someone to spring him out and help in the revenge plot????"The light at the end of the tunnel may only lead to darkness, but also at the end of that tunnel there will be...ME!"

-ME-

sylvan
03/07/2002 8:00 PM

"Not if someone else gets to him first, my friend. Many people have debts to reap from our keeper."

In the gloom, Dylar's eyes can hardly make out the huddled shape in the darkness outside of the cell, but the low voice is as clear as the new morning. A pair of grey eyes catch what light there is in the gloom.

"You must be the cause of all of the commotion I heard about. If what they say is true, you're quite the bold little mage... but foolish. You're going to have to be a little bit more patient if you expect to...."

There is a pause, extending into silence. For a moment, Dylar almost belives that his visitor has gone, and moves forewards towards the bars of his cell, straining his eyes into the darkness.

The voice suddenly speaks almost at his ear "...get out of here. There is hope, however. Everone speaks restlessly and moves grudgingly... it will not take much to raise them from their stupor. And better news yet, there is some sort of mage also being held here, further down one of the side corridors. I heard the guard drag her and the other upstart away some while ago. Hopefully they'll survive until tomorrow. Here," Dylar feels something pressed against his face- a bit of thin metal, almost a wire, "do what you can with the lock. I'm moving on to get the people going. Expect me back sometime before your execution, and be ready."

The figure moves off down the corridor with hardly a rustle. The only image of him is a near sillouette as he moves into the light of a sconce- a lithe form in tattered clothes, manacles binding his wrists. At the last moment he turns, revealing a sharp elven face framed by dark hair. His eyes reflect the torchlight for a moment, and he is gone.

/ooc Icedragon or Ryle, I think it's your move =)"Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass, leaving no footprints as he passed... and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."

icedragon
03/08/2002 5:17 AM

It was done the same as it had been before. Their screams could be heard a considerable distants. They couldn't help it the ogres were exceptionally good at it. They could inflict the most amount of pain without the death of the body. And so Kilihan and Rylewould lived to see another bleak day. Whatever Kilihan had planned was forgotten for the time bieng. It didn't last as long this time, the ogres were called back. Something was troubling them. The same large ogre who had brought the two up now brought them back to solitary cells. He practically threw them in the cell in his haste to leave, however this time he placed both in one cell. Ryle lay where he was thrown, Kilihan tried to sit up but she was so very tired. Her keen eyes were blurry with exhaustion but she noticed a faint outline of another. A new person in the cell across from her. 'Another rebel' she though with a faint grin.

"Who are....." but she never finished. The blackness was creeping over her and as she slipped into it she mumbled a few words in the spidery language of magic, very old magic and placed her hand on ryle. The look of pain on his face vanished and his cuts closed a bit. Her body slumped back down and she knew no more.Liana Nirel of Duryan

[Edited by icedragon on Friday, March 8, 2002 5:29 AM]

[Edited by icedragon on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 6:09 AM]

TolkaninFaznin
03/08/2002 5:21 AM

((ooc; so, Ontarys, what does Bakie get exactly for bopping you in da head with a big metal bucket?!?!?!? :P ))"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

sylvan
03/08/2002 5:55 AM

A slight clink of chain, a shifting of shadow, and somewhere behind the two prisoners another figure suddenly stood out from the stone against which he had hidden. It was pure luck that the guard had been in to much of a hurry to see him waiting in the cell. He rushed foreward, carefully looking over the woman where she had fallen. Her wounds were many and wicked, the bruises standing out on her skin, and a look of admiration and relief stood out on the elf's face as he marveled at her resiliance. Even more fortunate, she had found the power to heal the human's wounds, saving him the task of trying to revive them both.

The silver eyes closed as he strightened and drew in a breath, seeming to inhale the darkness itself. For a moment, all was perfectly still, then he leaned over her and touched her forehead lightly, weaving words of power into his exhaled whisper. The tale of defiant struggle carved into her features melted into a more peaceful expression, and he lowered her to the floor from where she had slumped against the wall.

The elf spoke quietly to himself as he reached over to arrange the man into a more comfortable position. "Sleep well, for there's not much time for any of us to rest now... they will be coming for the other one all too soon. After all of this, it will be a feat of pure will to fight our way out of here.""Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass, leaving no footprints as he passed... and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."

Ontarys
03/08/2002 6:44 AM

OOC: You guys are doing great.......really. This has the makings of a good thread for sure.

((ooc; so, Ontarys, what does Bakie get exactly for bopping you in da head with a big metal bucket?!?!?!? :P ))

OOC2: dont know why you would do that after seeing someone get severly punished. But N E ways........assume you were taken along with him (beaten as well >:) ) and are locked in a cell.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

dylar
03/08/2002 7:11 AM

OOC: Dylar should have no problem seeing in the dark. He is feline after all."The light at the end of the tunnel may only lead to darkness, but also at the end of that tunnel there will be...ME!"

-ME-

sylvan
03/08/2002 7:54 AM

/ooc sorry about that... my mistake. In that case, you quite clearly saw saw the elf as he sneaked you the message and the makeshift lockpick. A few minutes ago, he slipped over to the nearby cell, stopped momentarily in the doorway, then slipped inside and waited for the return of Kilihan and Ryle, quietly concealed in the deepest recesses near the wall. He is now trying to shift Ryle's crumped form into a straighter position"Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass, leaving no footprints as he passed... and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."

[Edited by sylvan on Friday, March 8, 2002 7:56 AM]

dylar
03/08/2002 10:47 AM


assume you were taken along with him (beaten as well >:) ) and are locked in a cell.


Dylar stood swiftly at the arrival of the new prisoner, eyeing her suspiciously. She stumbled into the cell, beaten nigh to death. He caught her slumped form before she hit the ground.

"Curse me!",Dylar berated himself,"my foolish rage has lead to others in the same predicament as myself!"

Pulling the black cloak off of his back he carried the woman to a corner of the cell and covered her in the cloak. Dylar then retreated to the shadows where he could watch her without being seen himself. Grunts and laughter of ogres outside the cell door reached his ears.

"Those stupid fools will make for good entertainment at the execution!", the guard could be heard laughing.

Dylar pulls the brilliant jade ring off his finger and runs his fingers around the sides of it.

"Father, when was the eldest son of the greatest Kattakan mage reduced to the slave labor of the most pethetic scum in the sight of Ath?"

OOC:Email me and i'll give you the whole background."The light at the end of the tunnel may only lead to darkness, but also at the end of that tunnel there will be...ME!"

-ME-

Dogar_Setton
03/08/2002 1:51 PM

Ryle lay limply upon the floor, walking the pathways of shadow and pain and fire in his mind. I am dead he thought to himself, finally, I am dead I am free of this place;free of the ogres, free of the pain, free of torture and work and water carrying elven slave girls with frightened eyes. Free to rest.

A warmth spread through his body, seeping forcefully into the cloying, safe darkness in his mind. No, he thought, screaming in his mind, I am dead, I am free, you cannot have me. The light grew stronger, teasingly calling his senses to life,pulling him away from his secure bastion of unconciousness. No, he told himself once more, I am no longer a part of this, leave me alone. For a long time, minutes or eons- he could not tell, the light and dark warred within him, the harsh blaring light of day and awakening clawing forcefully at his velvety fortress of shadow and eternal rest.

The light won.

Groaning, Ryle swore forcefully as light once again rested in his eyes, as the flames of the torches pounded a brutal cadence upon his tired and beleagured mind. I am alive, he spoke to himself, alive to once more face the day of ogres and torture that is sure to come. With an inward sigh he looked about his cell, to the straw mat in the corner, to the grimy, infested food dish on the floor.

To the strange figure that was crouching over him. With a speed born from a lifetime of warfare and a season in the mines Ryle twisted to his feet, dealing the elf a swift blow to the chest with his elbow and crouching to a defensive stance in one fluid motion. The elf, he noted, rolled with the blow and landed upright with an almost acrobatic grace a few feet away, though he clutched his ribs as though they pained him. So be it, Ryle grinned, at least the elf'd know I won't be taken easily. He tensed himself, ready for the elf to retaliate when he spoke.

" Gods damn it human, I'm not your enemy." The elf spat on the floor and rubbed his ribs once again "Though I will be if you ever do that again." I'm here to help you, you and the rest of the slaves in these mines. That is, if you'll let me." The elf stepped forward, extending his hand. Ryle eyed him warily for a moment, watching the elfs every move, every twitch, every facial expression for a full minute , until the elf began to shift from foot to foot nervously. Finally the warrior extended his long sinewy arm to take the elfs hand.

" The name is Ryle" he spoke, " and know this elf, I have learned enough in my life to trust very few of whom I meet, and thus I call very few men comrades, and even less friends. I do not trust you, not yet. But if you can find a way for me and the others in this cursed tomb to escape, you will wear the mantle of my friendship and trust for a long time, I can grant you that." Releasing the elven thiefs hand he sat down against the wall, giving a terse nod to Kilihan across from him. " Now if you are ready, we would like to hear your plans, master elf." ..................


" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

[Edited by Dogar_Setton on Friday, March 8, 2002 2:03 PM]

TolkaninFaznin
03/08/2002 6:58 PM

"I would live just long enough to see one of them die." Bakie said, painfully, softly. She struggled to sit up and lean against the wall, looking out into the corridor. Dylar can see a strange resolution on her face, a determination that had been rekindled from mere ashes.

She looked down at the cloak and smiled. "I know you are here . . ." She said, "though my senses have dulled they have not fled me completely. I thank you for your kindness, and I implore you of your name. My is Bakitelithasen, called by men Bakie." She looked into the darkness, and her almond elven eyes could just barely make out Dylar's form."Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

sylvan
03/08/2002 7:48 PM

"Not trusting. The mark of a good warrior, though I would be a fool if I did not descern that from your movements. That was well done friend. We may make it out of here alive after all. And it is time that was should be going."

The elf moved to the woman, smoothly so as not to upset his jumpy new comarade. Kneeling, he leaned down and shook her shoulder gently, clutching his chains so that they would not fall onto her face. After a moment, she came to slowly as though from a pleasant and deep sleep, and a look of sadness passed across the elf's face, as though he regretted re-awakening her to this nightmare labrynth.

He turned his face across the corridor and spoke in a low voice to the other prisoners "Hurry with that lock, my friends. It is time to go."

The woman gazed at him with uncomprehending eyes, the man with a reselessness that spoke volumes. The elf preempted both of their questions with a hand.

"I'll try to be precise, but swift... if I judge correctly, the execution is slated for a few hours from now, and if we're lucky we can get a head start on our captors. These are the most protected cells in the place, and they won't be sending guards down to check on you, at least for a little while.

But, if I am to earn your trust, I should be starting with a bit of formality first. My name is Taurhendil Farothin, though you may simply call me "Hunter" or "Greeneyes" if you must. My story is probably not so dissimilar to any of yours in most respects- captured in a raid..." Taurhendil pauses, wavering between speach and silence, finally making a compromise "...and so on. It really matters little. The important thing is that, unlike most of these unhappy souls, I know how to wait. In my patience I practiced my arts, weaving blades and magic in my mind even as my body toiled. In my patence, I also worked on this..." In the dim light, the manacles gleam on his hands as he holds them up, and there is just enough to see that he has worn the iron down to foil on his left hand. It also reveals the bloody scars on his wrists from where the rocks scraped them bare time and time again, and the faces of his companions twist in a mixture of disgust and admiration. Even Ryle's face, competing with the stones for its expressionlessness, is moved to an impressed frown.

"This work was about the same as you see it now a year or more ago. I could have made my bid for freedom at any moment, but I realized that there was no hope that way... I was not strong enough on my own. I went about my duties, waited, and finally began to despair and waste away in this foul darkness.

One day, however, I was working on a corridor near here and felt something... a sense I had not felt since I was brought to this abyssmal hole so long ago. I knew that there was finally someone powerful enough to stand with me against my captors." Taurendil casts a meaningful glance towards Kilihan, then bows slightly towards her.

"When I sensed your magic I began my work again, and began also to talk amongst the other slaves, putting visions of freedom into their thoughts and learning of the goings-on in other parts of the mines. And here I now sit, with a woman who spits in the face of torturers and a fire-tempered warrior with the audacity to attack a slaver unsupported. Across the hall sits a man who managed to burn the very leader of the entire operation. And in the lock..."

Taurhendil stands and moves to the door in a single motion, and slides his chisel under the bar, turning it up and allowing the door to swing open an inch. He deftly catches the piece of metal that he had jammed into the mechanism that would normally have prevented such a trick.

"Now, if you two don't mind..." he smacks his manacle against the wall, snapping away the metal enough that he can pry it off with the chisel. He gathers the chain into his hands, the ruined band dangling slightly. "If you don't mind, I would like to see the sunlight again.""Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass, leaving no footprints as he passed... and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."

sylvan
03/08/2002 7:53 PM

/ooc sorry if I'm getting a little bit too long-winded here, everyone... just tap me and I'll try to be a little more brief. Thanks for tolerating me despite my status as one newly-arrived."Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass, leaving no footprints as he passed... and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."

Dogar_Setton
03/09/2002 4:36 PM

((OOC: Don't worry sylvan, I have the habit of putting up obscenely large posts as well and nobody's ragged on me yet, as long as it's good writing, yours is pretty good by the way :D , no-one will really care. Oh, by the way I called your character a 'thief' earlier because he moves like one, I thought he was shaping up to be a thief or assassin. If I'm wrong, just correct me.... Dogar))

His face twisted in a sneer of triumph, Ryle strode purposefully towards the semi-opened door. Suddenly, as if struck with a thought, the battle-scarred warrior pivots on his heel and turns to his newfound comrade. "Elf ..... " he stops himself, then "I mean ... Tauren..... Taure..... I'm going to call you Taur, all right?" Ryle grins enigmatically as the elf amusedly nods his assent. "I'm going to need a weapon, Taur. Does'nt matter what kind, but I'll need a good steel blade or mace if I'm to contend with Shantu's guardsmen. Once I'm armed we'll be a damn sight better off than we are now. Oh, and another thing, there's a girl--you might know her name, I don't. She's a slave in the cell block where I was imprisoned, a water-carrier...... and a scullery-maid, I think."
Taur's eyes light up and he moves as if to speak, but the swordsman waves him off with an impatient gesture. " She gets out before I guarantee you my help, her and the rest of the slaves in my workgroup. I ...... I think they look up to me as some sort of leader........ I owe it to them to get them out as well."

Ryle stared vacantly down the passageway for a moment, then turned back to his comrades, his wry, arrogant grin once more a mask over his features.
"You should count yourself privileged, elf." The warrior flashed Taurhendil a feral grin, then winks at Kilihan. " You're going to be a witness to perhaps the only 'noble' thing I've done in my entire life, I've found that self-sacrifice does'nt pay very well." With a mocking laugh, Ryle spun on his heel and crept out into the shadowed corridor, his large hands clenching into fists as he went.

Kilihan followed, muttering "....gods-damn.... arrogant.... swaggering human.... bravado....... " under her breath, tilting her head to Taur as she passed him. The elf stepped forward swiftly, gracefully, then stopped. He gazed long and hard at Ryles form as it dwindled in the far shadows, watched as the human swaggered on legs recently stretched by the rack, watched as he stuck out a chest still bleeding from his last turn before the Inquisitors forge, watched as the human tried to cover up his terrible pains, wounds received in the defense of an unknown elven girl. Tourendhil smiled slightly, sadly shook his head.

" There is more nobility in you than you shall ever know , Ryle Brennick" Then with as swiftness and silence envied by shadows and wind alike, Taur sped to catch up to his comrades.

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

Ontarys
03/09/2002 8:12 PM

OOC: So far so good, here's you guys chance to get your resistance group going (feeling charitable today).


Shantu grew restless as the night passed. Beads of sweat and heavy breathing gave to show the tell tale signs of his paranoia. Sending for his servent he prepared himself for the coming day.........and the executons.

"I will be leaving shortly, I must meet with the dragon and plead my case. If all goes well She will let me rule in her name. The tribute must be as she asks however. We are ahead of pace so keep the slaves working as much as possible, when I have what I need i'll offer the lot of them to the dragon.
See to it those insolent slaves from earlier are executed in full veiw of everyone, I take my leave..........the dragon waits for noone."I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/09/2002 9:23 PM

/ooc you'll find out just who Taurhendil Farothin turns out to be in time, my friend... perhaps =)

/ic

Taurhendil shakes himself from his momentary reverie and speeds swiftly down the corridor to catch up with the mercenary.

"Ryle!" The warrior slows and turns slightly. Taurhendil almost reaches out to clasp him by the arm, but thinks better of it, settling for an intent stare.

"Ryle, I know you are eager to be at your work, but hear me out for a moment. You are free now. But for how long? You have no weapon, and in any case we are a pitifully poor force to go strutting off to battle just yet. We'll help our friends, but we need to move a little more cautiously for the moment. We have the initiative right now, for as I said before, these cells shouldn't be checked for a while. If the ogres don't know they have to fight us, they won't be able to.

For the moment, however, we just left two more companions further down in the cell block... including your haughty maid. I don't know her name either, but she was brought down an hour or so ago to the cell down the way. I had given the man there a lockpick, but I'm not sure he knew how to use it properly. We should go back for them."

Taurhendil turns, takes a step or two, then looks over his shoulder at Ryle. "I'm not asking you to trust me, Ryle... I'm trying to look out for your safety, and everyone elses' as well. Don't throw your life away rashly or get yourself locked up so that we have to come and rescue you again. You can go your own way if you have to... I know that need as well as any... but right now we're the only friends you have.""Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass, leaving no footprints as he passed... and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."

Dogar_Setton
03/10/2002 4:13 PM

Ryle eyed his elven counterpart critically, smoothing out his tangled, shoulder length black hair as he thought. The elf made sense, he thought, Elves usually did. Ryle had fought with elves, both against and alongside them, and had realized one universal truth; Elves, as a rule, were good thinkers, good planners, and this one seemed better than most.

"You're right Taur, a frontal attack right now would be stupid, nay, suicidal. Our best hopes seem to lie in reconnaisance and subterfuge at the moment, and I think I know how to gain those ends." Ryle rubbed his jawline, thinking. " I'd argue one thing though, and that's us staying together. I know there's strength in numbers, but our numbers don't mean shit to the ogres at the moment. I think we'd work faster if we split up."

The warrior looked about intently, then rested his eyes once again on Taurendhil, and Kilihan behind him. " I think we should split up for the moment. You see if you can release the water-girl and your other companion and I'll try to sneak back into my cellblock and look for recruits. We'll need more than the five of us to get out of this prison, and I think I can find a few people in my old work-group that wouldn't mind stabbing a few ogres." Ryle grinned wolfishly at the thought, clenching and unclenching his calloused hands in excitement at the promise of battle. " Indeed, I know a few old mercs like me who'd like nothing better than a few new Ogre ears to string on their belts."

With this Ryle turned and padded stealthily toward the iron-banded oaken door, moving with the grace of a hunting cat as the shadows slowly opened up to engulf him. " Meet me at the South Tunnel in a few hours," his voice rang clearly from the depths of the murky tunnel. " Oh, and Taur, see if you can scrounge up some weapons, a lot of them. When I return, I plan to bring friends."

Laughiing, Ryle slipped into the inky black corridors and set off in search of his co-workers, his friends, his fellow slaves. He went in search of his army.

OOC: ( I was thinking that if anyone new wanted to jump into this thread, they could manifest themselves as one of the workers in my characters former workgroup, just a thought, but it's an ideal place for a new character to show up...........:) :) :)


" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

[Edited by Dogar_Setton on Sunday, March 10, 2002 4:16 PM]

icedragon
03/11/2002 5:58 AM

(( Sorry I havent' written in so long. Haven't been able to get to the internet. I'm back though.I really like this story so far! I'm glad I could be a part since I'm such a newbie ;)..lol..I wonder if you can all tell.))

Kilihan watched Ryle slip into the shadows barely able to hear his footsteps. She then turned her silver eyes towards Taurandhil.
"Taurandhil is it?" she said softly the name coming more easily to her lips then the humans, "Elves always have such beautiful names and such beautiful faces" she said as she reached out to turn his chin toward her to get a better look at him. She gave Taurandhil the feeling that she was somehow.....much older then she seemed. 'What human would dare to treat me like this' he thought quickly, 'as if I were under observation'. He stared back into her eyes and the angry feelings left him, she wasn't scrutinizing him. He stared back captivated and confused, 'what secrets does she hide' he thought.
His healing touch had reminded her of days long past. It reminded her of the vast forests, their leaves swaying in the breeze, reminding one of a green ocean....and the sun...and soaring... Kilihan suddenly started realizing Taurandhil was staring at her. She quickly looked down but not before he had seen the immense sadness in her eyes. When she looked back up again the pain was gone or atleast hidden, masked by a firm determination. "Ryle should have taken one of us with him, since we are both capable of healing" she said sternly. "Humans can be so impatient!" "But it seems he can take care of himself." "Well I must admit I have no clue how to go about this but I will pledge myself to help you all I can" Kilihan said her voice softening as she placed a hand on the elf's shoulder.
"I admire your".....she stopped as if searching for the word...."loyalty towards these strangers, myself included." "I hope I can prove to be as such myself."
"So" she began a look of michief and amusement lighting her eyes "Shall we get out of here?"Liana Nirel of Duryan

[Edited by icedragon on Monday, March 11, 2002 6:02 AM]

Ontarys
03/11/2002 9:20 AM

OOC: Sylvan and dogar......you guys are really more than i had expected of newbies. excellent last couple of post. For that reason I am going to pay a lot more attention to this thread and write more quality posts.

OOC: Good job as well ice dragon.....I suggest trying to space your posts a little better, a lot easier to read when they are broken up in paragraphs.

I'll give you guys a little more time to work out your plans........I was going to have an ogre notice some prisoners were gone, but one of you mentioned the cells wouldnt be checked for a while. so..........I'll give ya lil more time >:) then...................we start to get to the exciting stuff. >:) Mu wa ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa >:)I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

dylar
03/11/2002 10:57 AM

OOC: Sorry I've been gone.

Dylar rose slowly and approached the elf.

"They call me Dylar....or so they did...in my realm of gaurdianship,the Farr North mountains. Perhaps you've heard of them? No matter. I fear that my clan may be in some turmoil now that I've been away so long. I must find a way out to my family and to get my just revenge on that flea-bag orge!"

A thought suddenly crossed his mind.

"You must be a cleaver person if you could see me in the shadows. I've never seen the like that could. Where did you say you were from?""Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

sylvan
03/11/2002 1:54 PM

Taurhendil Farothin had been on a hundred campaigns. He had hunted nearly every type of creature in Krynn, from giants to golems, crossed glaciers, deserts, and oceans wider than the abyss. He had walked the streets of Palanthas, the glades of Qualinesti, and the worn stones of sorcerors' towers.

He was caught unprepared by this woman.

Her eyes reminded him of seas, deep with dreams and memories of things high and mystic, but reflecting, at the same time, the wisdom and sorrow of years which before he had seen only in the faces of his own kindred.

What wonder is this? When I felt her, I expected nothing so... noble. This can be no mere renegade wizard caught dawdling at meditation, that much is certain. But if not, why has she been captured? Who are you anyway?

She drops her eyes suddenly, and it occurs that he has made her uncomfortable... he had never gotten used to that particular human notion of manners. He bows to her slowly, as though he were in the Court of Silvanest and dressed in finery, rather than in a lightless labrynth and cloaked in rags.

"To hear my name slip from the lips of someone versed in the Elven tounge is a great joy to me after being so long in darkness amidst ruffians. Well met indeed, galadimoriel."

Taurhendil turns quickly as Dylar opens the door to his cell, and a quick smile touches his lips. So he was able to use it... that speaks well for us. Dylar was talking, asking a question...

"...where did you say you were from?"

Taurhendil's smile fades slightly. "Where am I from? What place can the Kagonesti truly call home in these times? I claim none. My bedroom is wherever I decide to spend a night, and every footfall adds to the expanse of my house's floor. The sky and the leaves are all the shelter I need, and walls I can do without. I am a wanderer.

"But now, i think it may be about time heed Kilihan's words and get out of here. As I said to Ryle, though, we should do so carefully. You and Kilihan may well be recognized by the guards if you're not careful, but it must be risked if we are to carry word to the other prisoners. Keep your heads downcast, cover them if you must. Try to stay close to the Southern Tunnel so that you can get to there easily by the appointed time. I'm going to try to find some weapons for Ryle's men, though it will likely be both difficult and fruitless... most everything here is sized for ogres, and there isn't much just lying around. Still, I should try." He takes the left manacle and sets it over his wrist, then leans it against the wall until it bends enough to appear secure.

"Is everyone ready?""Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass, leaving no footprints as he passed... and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."

[Edited by sylvan on Monday, March 11, 2002 7:03 PM]

Dogar_Setton
03/11/2002 5:38 PM

(( OOC: thanks for the compliments Ont, we're all doing our best :) :) :) Oh, by the way, if anyone knows any other people who'd like to join this thread, they're still welcome to do so as one of the slaves I'm looking for, I'm gonna give a brief description of some of 'em so that might be a help. Of course you can make your own as well......))

((OOC2: I was thinking about the size of the weapons too, Sylvan, and I realize it's going to be hard to find human-sized weapons in an ogre encampment..... sorry :( ;) But if you can't find any, try to see if the ogres kept anything from the caravans they looted.....))


Drip...Drip.....Drip........Drip.....Drip.....splat

"Gods Damn it!" The rangy fighter hissed.

Ryle crouched in the shadows outside the craggy Slave Warren, glaring intently at the rotten pine slats that served as a makeshift door across the hallway. He stayed there, immobile while the drops of water tapped a steady beat on his matted hair and ran in a slimy river down his back, a flesh and blood statue, a monument to human bedragglement. The discomfort was worth it ,though; this crevasse gave him an excellent view of the stockade, and effectively obscured his figure from the ogre guards. He knew that as long as the murky water was dripping down around, and on, him, he would appear to the ogres below as nothing more than another pile of mud and slag. He knew that, but he didn't have to like it.

The fighter shifted on his heels, then swore softly to himself as a ream of pain shot up his back. His injuries sustained at the hands of the ogre disciplinarians were not debilitating, but they were as torturous and thoroughly uncomfortable as mortally possible. Ryle steeled himself against further pains and crawled a few feet forward, moving in time with the dripping water to mask the sound.

" Four ogres closest to the entrance," he whispered to himself, counting " Two for the women and childrens pen, and two for the men. And over there" he warrior squinted into the distant shadows of the cavern, " another eight, guarding the..... malcontents." Ryle chuckled softly, he knew most of the malcontents, indeed he had been among them for awhile, until the ogres saw fit to barracks him with the party of merchants he had been guarding. "Their idea of a fitting punishment," Ryle thought about nagging, bickering merchants for a moment, then sighed, " it was a good one." He looked once agian at the iron walled compound that held the malcontents. A squat, brutish, and thoroughly imposing building made entirely of metal, The Cage, as it was called, was built to hold the more dangerous of Shantu's slaves; mages, the occasional knight, mercenaries like Ryle, and anyone else who was too dangerous to trust in the weaker compounds of the normal workers. These slaves were rarely let outside, and Ryle had a suspicion that many were given as...'tribute' to the massive red Wyrm in the lands not far away. It would explain why the dragon tolerated Shantu and his ogre army in her territory.

This Cell, Ryle thought, is my objective. Ronogh Ironmaul's in there, and One-Eared Fess, and Laethan Duungaran; doughty warriors all, and willing to fight for their freedom, I'll wager. He shook his head impatiently to dry out his grimy hair, and took stock of the compound. A few mages in there as well, he reminded himself, though they've probably got their magic shackled, like that woman........Kilihan. They'd be a mighty force indeed if only I could get 'em out. Ryle stretched out the cramps in his muscles, then stopped, staring at the far wall as a crooked grin spread across his face. He knew how he'd get the warriors out, and he'd have a hell of a good time watching the looks on the ogres faces when he did it........


This, Ryle thought, cocking his head, is going to be fun.................





" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

TolkaninFaznin
03/11/2002 5:45 PM

"I come from far away and long ago." Bakie replied, a distant look in her eyes. "So long ago . . . it is hard for me to remember the forests of Sylvanest anymore, I have missed them for so long . . ." She sighed, and picked up a pebbled and tossed it aside. "I am an elf, not a dwarf or an ogre, I have been forced to accomodate to this enviroment . . ."

She looked up at Dylar. "but not any longer. After seeing you and others strike out today, I feel there is a growing force and wish to add my number to it." With difficulty, she stood. "I will either live free or die trying, and I will help any of like mind." She held out her hand and looked at him, complete determination in her bright blue eyes. "Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

icedragon
03/12/2002 5:30 AM

(( Oh sorry about that confusing text, I just saw it today. I'll make sure I don't do that again. How is it in this post? I'd thought I'd add a bt of humor in it too, hope you don't mind! ;) ))

Kilihan saw Taurandhil pull back from her and give a slight bow. She'd made him uncomfortable. She could sense it, yet she hadn't meant to.
'Why do I care so much' she thought angrily her eyes to the floor.
She looked back up towards him, his back to her and she just sighed. She began to grumble softly again. "I'm not....blushing....human...

Suddenly a voice issued forth from one of the cells. Another elf appeared her keen eyes taking in all the strangers details. Her gaze turned quickly towards the other slave. A elven girl lay on the floor. Kilihan couldn't help but feel pity for these beautiful creatures. She knew that under normal circumstances they would have been practically suffocating underneath this rock, but now that fear was gone replaced by determination to finally escape this hell.

"Keep to the south tunnel...spread word amoung the other slaves" Taurandhil voice pulled her back to the present. How pleasant it sounded to her ears, the Kagonesti elfs always reminded her of the love she had for to forests.

She saw the elf girl stand up, Kilihan walked toward her. "Here let me help you what little I can, you need your strength." She whispered the words to heal the girls wounds and saw a small flicker of peace cross the silvanesti elf's eyes.

"I will stand out to much in these blue robes" Kilihan said slowly looking down at her robes, "Well what is left of them." They were torn and covered with blood...too much blood...yet still their light blue color shone through, like some beacon of hope of the skies they may soon see. " I should not waste my strength but we cannot afford to be seen."

Kilihan spoke a few words different then before, her voice making the other three elves feel as if they were in a dream, and then Kilihan confused Taurandhil even more. One moment she had blue robes on, for a brief second she had nothing on and then was covered in drabe gray robes.
Kilihan looked towards the elves, "Will this do?" She noticed that they were blushing slightly. Kilihan couldn't understand what they were flushing for, she rolled her eyes, she had a lot to learn yet. What humans and elves called modesty was not in her vocabulary yet.

She looked at Taurandhil, her eyes betraying the calm face she had put forth, "Am I to take both with me, need you anyone to go with you?"

"No Kilihan I will be fine" he said as he slightly nodded his head in thanks.

Kilihan turned towards the other two, "Well I have no knowledge of the other cells," a dark look crossing her eyes as she spoke, "They have only brought me to one other place" Kilihan shook her head as if to get rid of the memories. "Perhaps you two can lead the way?"
Liana Nirel of Duryan





[Edited by icedragon on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 6:44 AM]

sylvan
03/12/2002 6:45 AM

ooc: Much easier! I'd take a look back at your quotation marks, though, and don't forget that you can go back and edit posts any time.

ic:

Taurhendil's steely eyes betrayed nothing as Kilihan cast her spell, though a sharp observer would have caught the shadow of a smile at the corners of his mouth. This was an escape, after all, and aesthetics didn't really matter that much.

"Right, then. You three go ahead to the slave quarters. That disguise should serve you well, Kilihan, though perhaps we can work out some of the minor details of that spell when we get out of here. Good Hunting, my friends."

With a twinkle in his eye, Taurhendil, too, slips carfully down the corridor, passing like a breeze into the outer hall."Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass, leaving no footprints as he passed... and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."

dylar
03/12/2002 10:54 AM

Dylar stretched out his hand in offer to hers.

"Well then I suggest we hind a way out of here........any ideas?"

OOC: Hey new guys and gals that's your que!"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

dylar
03/12/2002 10:55 AM

Dylar stretched out his hand in offer to hers.

"Well then I suggest we hind a way out of here........any ideas?"

OOC: Hey new guys and gals that's your cue!"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Ontarys
03/12/2002 11:05 AM


With a twinkle in his eye, Taurhendil, too, slips carfully down the corridor, passing like a breeze into the outer hall.


Just behind, a slovenly filthy gully dwarf lay seemingly unconsious on the ground. Serving as messangers and relaymen the gully dwarf went unnoticed by the departing company. Opening his small beady black eyes he followed stealthly behind them as they made their way.

Elswhere..............


BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Shantu could hear the loud booming and rumbling of the great red as she shifted to a more comfortable position somwhere in her lair. "How much farther do we have to go in this blasted lair?"

The draconian only grumbled at Shantu's question, he had no love for ogre's or anything other than himself for that matter. "Jussssssst a little farrrrrther ogre."

"Insolent draconian, I am Shantu, do not call me ogre again or I shall forget that I am a guest in your masters lair."

A Deep rumble could be heard nearby, a rich and ancient voice echoed in the distance..... "You would do well Shantu to take care in how you treat my servants.......come we have much to discuss. Let us hope...........for your sake, i like what you have to offer."

Making a quick left turn in the underground layer he was astounded to see the enormity of the dragons lair. Water dripped continually from crevices high upon the ceiling of the cave, a thin mist permeated the ceiling like a cloud making it hard to discern its true height. In the midst of the lair lay the red dragon who lay languidly amongst a pile of jewels and coins of untold value. Diamonds, gold coins, chests, and many more riches littered the ground of the eimmense lair almost a pain to the eyes with the brilliance with which they glittered.

"You wish to allie with me for what reason. I have no need of any assistance from you or any other.........tell...........Shantu, why should I who have conqured much and seen eons past need the help of an ogre."

"It is simple, here is what I propose. You know as well as I do that the knights of solmania will one day have enough of you destroying and pillaging the land and rise against you. A nusiance yes I know, and you surley can handle them.....But............one day there will come someone who will be able to withstand your onslaught. Do not forget the legend of Huma, Sturm brightblade, do not forget the heroes of the lance from times long ago. I propose this.........I pledge alleginace to you, my ogre army and slaves will be yours to command. The mines, a rich source of wealth of which i will give half the proceeds. We would claim lands far beyond this territory in your name AND your rule. Your backing is all I need and I will be unstoppable."

Shearis lifted her hugr head and nodded. She liked confidence and determination, she had planned on eating him after their meeting but what he said made sense. "Very well, I agree with your......vision. Should you ever fail in paying my tribute however......a price shall be exacted."

Shifting her form into a woman Shearis glared at Shantu nonchalantly. Her hair red as the blood sea she laughed. "A few slaves should pay the price"

"Yes my lord, as a matter of fact, my current mine is almost depleted. When it is done.......half the slaves are yours.........


OOC: Dont even think about noticing the dwarf just yet lol.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

Dogar_Setton
03/12/2002 11:55 AM

((OOC: Ummmmmm........ I'll jump back in when I figure out what Ryle's plan is going to be, after i wrote that last post I realized that I had no idea what I was going to have my character do..... (sheepish grin) ;) ;) ;) ))

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

sylvan
03/12/2002 7:06 PM

ooc: haha, get a little bit ahead of yourself? :)

ic:

Taurhendil threaded his way carefully through the passages, running levelly towards the mines. He had gotten a fairly good feel for these passages, and though he did not know this particular section all that well, it was easy enough to follow his ears. He went towards the sound of the whipcracks and groans.

As a matter of fact, he timed his enterence to near perfection. He entered blindly into one of the access tunnels just as a group of workers were dragging an ore cart up the incline. Just as he stepped out into their midst, one of the men fell, exhausted, and Taurhendil stepped into his place just in time to recieve a wip lash that cut through his cloth jerkin and into his back.

"STUPID SLAVE! DUNNO WHERE YOU COMIN FROM, BUT YOU PUSH NOW!PUSH MORE!"

Giving a heave to continue the cart's momentum, Taurhendil stooped low and scooped the man into the ore cart, then resumed his hold. He noted, with some satisfaction, that there were plenty of mining tools also stowed in the cart- mattocks, chisels, and hammers among them. Many of the taskmasters that worked the mines wore weapons the boasted more power than their whips, so as to discourage the slaves from using these implements to their advantage. The Elf noted, with a hint of satisfaction, that this particular overseer one wore an ogre-sized longsword.

Unfortunately, the ogre caught the glance, and the pop of the whip would have taken out Taurhendil's eye but for his quick reflexes. As it was, it flayed open a long, stinging cut on his cheek.

"WHAT YOU LOOK AT, SLAVE? SLAVE NOT HAVE EYES TO LOOK SOON! SLAVE BE DEAD!"

Taurhendil put his legs into moving the cart. If he could feel the wounds or the words, his iron eyes did not show it."Yes, I am Kerril Dragonslayer, destroyer of the demon-wyrm Morkellivir. Be awed and move on."

dylar
03/13/2002 10:58 AM

OOC: O crap!"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Dogar_Setton
03/13/2002 1:10 PM

Ryle crept across the jagged stone floors warily, slipping from shadow to shadow as the squinting eyes of the ogres scanned the room. From the garbage heap where he had been hidden just a short while ago the swordsman had acquired a tattered robe and a rusted metal bucket, similar to the ones used by the scullery maids and slopsmen; generally old and harmless slaves who were given the task of delivering food and water to the hungry overseers , and taking waste away. It was by far the most onerous and repulsive of all the tasks given to the ogres slaves, and even other slaves viewed these poor wretches with disgust. Good, Ryle thought, that way no-one will bother to stop and speak with me.

In the guise of a decrepit, slop-toting old man the warrior set forth, shuffling between the crowded cells of tired workers, quivering in mock fear before the laughter of the brutish guards, hunching his shoulders as the flabby hobgoblin cooks whipped him idly, spitting on him when he failed to speed up. All this Ryle endured in silence, fighting back the anger he knew would be his detriment, biting his lower lip until he drew blood; and all the while he stopped periodically to crouch upon the merciless floor and pick up some mundane item, coal dust, greasy food, stray rags and the like, and stuff it into the pockets of his oversized robe. Ryle grinned slightly to himself as his pockets filled, and as the pockets grew heavier his grin grew wider, until a passing guard almost bludgeoned this old slave for being so cheerful.


Twice around the massive cavern the swordsman wandered, collecting miscellaneous items from garbage heaps and food troughs alike, until he crept slowly back to the leaky crevasse from whence he came. Laying the dingy cloak upon the floor, he spread his gathered treasures out before him and chuckled to himself as he began to pack the items slowly, carefully, into his rusted metal bucket.

You see, Ryle had fought alongside a regiment of gnomes one summer, in a decidedly drawn out campaign between two warring petty dukes, and had made surprisingly good friends with the leader of the gnomish fighters ; Molly Tov, a cocktail waitress-turned-mercenary. He remembered her while she sat around the fire sharing meals with him and some of the other officers, regaling them in a jabbering voice on the finer points of Gnomish society, culture,and, most importantly, warfare. Ryle laughed out loud at the memories, even as his hands continued work on the simple metal bucket that was rapidly filling with somewhat sinister substances. He especially remembered Molly's talks on alchemy, when she explained to him that certain mundane things one can find anywhere are assuredly safe and harmless,when left by themselves. But in the right hands.................


They can be pretty damn lethal.

Ryle sat back then, admiring the work he had done. Admiring the packed coal dust in the bottom of the bucket, the chunks of metal and ore stuffed into the dust like candies in some macabre pastry, the rags that formed a surprisingly long and surprisingly flammable wick. He looked over his beautiful creation once, twice, thrice, then stretched out his neck to stare upward at the pipe that he had once cursed for dripping on him. The pipe that he had huddled under for long moments while hiding from ogres. The pipe thats leak, under closer inspection, was revealed to stem from a three foot long hair-thin crack along the side, impervious to a blow from a rock or sword, yes, but an explosive bucket..............maybe not.



Molly would've been proud of him.


((OOC: I guess you've got at least a little idea of what I'm going to do now, so you can rest easy, I have'nt written myself into a corner. Oh and I could'nt resist naming the gnome who taught Ryle about explosives Molly Tov, the Coctail Waitress... hee hee hee..... I might use her in some other threads some day :D :D :D ))























" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

sylvan
03/13/2002 7:17 PM

ooc: Molly Tov the cocktail waitress... oh gawd... :)

ic:

Taurhendil's head came up as he and the group of slaves entered one of the ore chambers. The dropping-off points for material brought up from the mines, these rooms were built in a circular pattern, allowing carts to be moved around the outside and smoothly back into the mines on the same tracks. In the center sat a pit filled with slaves sorting ore into piles under the glare of an overseer. Others were loading wheelbarrows with sorted rock and taking them out through a tunel below.

As the cart came to the opposite side of the room from the enterence, the slaves skidded the thing to a stop, and Taurhendil jumped up to begin shoveling ore down into the pit. The other slaves, not bothering to wonder just who this was that was taking one of the most arduous jobs, exited by a side tunnel to return to their holding pens for their brief rest. Taurhendil, meanwhile, carfully moved the mining tools over to the side of the cart as he shoveled, allowing them to fall slowly to the bottom as the cart emptied. As he got the last bit out, he kicked the cloth cover over them loosely, and when the ogre that had been following looked in, all it seemed to notice was that the cart was empty.

"You work good here, slave. But you work bad down there. Mebbie you need go back down there, work better!" The overseer's whip lashed out and caught Taurhendil another cruel blow on his already scarred back. The Elf lept out of the cart, threw his weight against it, and started it moving back towards the exit. As it rolled, he spoke to the ogre, careful that he did not turn to face it.

"There's a barrow broken down below in the mines. We should bring down another."

"Puny slaves work without burrow, ghishnek Elf!"

This time, Taurhendil wirled suddenly to face the ogre, but only for a second. "You know best, I'm sure. But Shantu might not be happy if work goes slower because we don't have a barrow. Might not be happy with you at all."

The Elf stole a glance at the ogre's face, and saw doubt and indecision written all over it. Stupid thing, he thought. The ogre finally leaned down into the pit and grabbed an empty barrow, flinging it into the ore cart before snapping his whip at Taurhendil again.

"You move the cart, Elf, me do the thinking."

Taurhendil put his back into it, a grin spreading on his face in the tunnel's darkness.
"Yes, I am Kerril Dragonslayer, destroyer of the demon-wyrm Morkellivir. Be awed and move on."

icedragon
03/14/2002 5:32 AM

(( I'm not exactly sure what me, Bakie, and Dylar are supposed to be doing. But I guess I'll take a stab at it. Dylar and Tolkanin if you have any ideas then please jump right in and help me ;) I thought maybe we could leave a opening to any who want to jump in. Also I don't know if you want any complications, but I could throw one in. Since I'm such a odd looking human I might draw too much attention. We could use that later if you want? Oh yeah and my grammer is terrible..lol..feel free to correct me.))

Kilihan watched Taurandhil slip down the hallway, she'd seen the amusement in his eyes and for some reason she couldn't help but feel the same. But what could he mean, finer details , her spells were perfect....she thought. Kilihan shrugged a slight grin on her face and turned towards Bakie and Dylar.

"Well we'd better not stand here gawking all day, get ourselves thrown in a cage again is what that'll do." She drew the cloak over her head, hiding her flashing silver hair, which seemed to draw too much attention and walked in the opposite direction Taurandhil had gone.

They started off down the dark corridor, feeling their way by keeping a hand on the slimy wall next to them. There was the odd torch here and there but not enough to take away the pressing darkness. They continued on up some worn stairs, cracked and stained with blood. Bakie jaw was clenched tightly her eyes trying to avoid the floor. Elves revered all life and Kilihan knew this must be so hard on her.
All three could hear the screams and groans of the slaves working, the harsh crack of a whip and the gruff voices of the ogres. They dared not talk yet so Kilihan used her magic to speak to them.

Kilihan halted the other two. Her voice, although spoken within their minds, stilled seemed to loud and all three cringed.

"I wish to help any who will follow us," Kilihan began pain crossing her face, "but I do not know how many we will be able to free. Then again to free too many will draw the attention of the ogres"

She sank against the wall for a second. Dylar put a reassuring hand upon her shoulder and gave a faint smile. She knew he couldn't speak to her but she saw his determination in his eyes.

She stood back up, "Ready?" she whispered in their mind.

They'd be reaching the workers cells soon and Kilihan had no idea what they were going to do when they got there. Would the prisoners call out, give them away, or would they plead for help? Would they even be able to help them? All these questions ran through the companions mind as they continued to feel their way along the wall.Liana Nirel of Duryan

[Edited by icedragon on Thursday, March 14, 2002 6:10 AM]

TolkaninFaznin
03/14/2002 6:36 AM

Bakie had shaken Dylar's hand and then accompanied the strange woman.

It was a bad place they were planning on leaving, but the elation of the possibility of escaping was doused by a pressiong fear of something yet unknown. She kept her thouts from the others, trying to think through it herself before she dared draw any others into her own paranoia."Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

Ontarys
03/14/2002 7:06 AM

OOC: Is it me? Does this remind anyone of the time the companions were in Pax Tharkas?

It was a bad place they were planning on leaving, but the elation of the possibility of escaping was doused by a pressiong fear of something yet unknown. She kept her thouts from the others, trying to think through it herself before she dared draw any others into her own paranoia.

Ok ok........bet your talkin about the gully dwarf huhI put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/14/2002 8:23 AM

Taurhendil had been a strong elf, far more capable than most of his kindred, but he was now beginning to feel the years of confinement to which he had been subjected. He could train his mind quietly while imprisoned, but the fetters and the confines of the mines had prevented him from exercising properly for quite some time. The ore cart, though empty, was a heavy, iron-bound thing, and with the barrow and the tools in the bottom of it, Taurhendil was hard put to move it up the inclines. The taskmaster's whip lashed mercilessly across his legs every time he faltered, stinging more than his flesh.

Not far now.... not long now... aure entuluva... aure entuluva..."Yes, I am Kerril Dragonslayer, destroyer of the demon-wyrm Morkellivir. Be awed and move on."

Ontarys
03/15/2002 6:48 AM

Hiding undercover of the inherant darkness of the underground mines Tubu the gully dwarf followed stealthly behind just out of earshot. Finally he plucked up the courage to reveal himself, it was now or never for him.

The first person in his line of sight was Bakie but he whispered loud enough for them to hear. "Wait! Me want escape too. Me here since day I born, we gully dwarfs tired of orgre whips and mean mouths. I hear you have plan. We help, we know many secret ways in mine, dig them ourselves. No way you escape without help from us, too many ogre's. Them not as dumb as you think. Then you forget reason why noone escape before now."

A look of slight flashed across the face of the stubby little gully dwarf. In the silence of his pause of speech the ever present clink and clank of hammers, and picks rang throughout the mine in a numbing monotnous rythm, the moans and grunts of the slaves mingled with the hard driving harsh growls of the slave masters as they mercilously lashed and prodded anyone unfortunate enough to slow down.

Gathering his composure Tobu began again in earnest "T t t the main way out not safe to try. All who try get taken by Sha. He big ogre shaman, him have big magic, reason shantu lead all ogre here. They call him a Lich, me still not know what dat mean but him evil. One touch and you die, must go secret ways to not run into him. Way is still dangerous, many many orge and other things, still better than Sha."

Unable to hide his anxiety he looked upn the still startled group with intesity. "Can we come? We help out here to get away."........


I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/15/2002 11:23 AM

This was it.

Taurhendil gave the cart a heave as he topped a rise, shoving with all his might and propelling the thing forward suddenly at a great pace. As the cart dropped onto the decline, it rapidly picked up speed and went rocketing down into the darkness. Taurhendil, hanging on, barely managed to leap over the whip lash that would have tripped him. A string of ogre curses followed him into the darkness, and he heard a sword being drawn.

For the moment, however, he was distracted by a more immidiate problem. Worn out by moving the cart, he could barely keep up as it increased speed, and he was dragged for a few tenuous moments before he found his footing and managed to leap up into the vehicle. He fell in, rolling under the cloth tarp that covered the equipment in the bottom. Pulling out his chisel, he reopened the left manacle and slid it off his wrist, then tensed himself and waited as he felt the cart rolling to a stop on the next incline."Yes, I am Kerril Dragonslayer, destroyer of the demon-wyrm Morkellivir. Be awed and move on."

Dogar_Setton
03/15/2002 1:56 PM

Gruumsh leaned lazily against the wall of the cavern, flashing his yellow-toothed smile at his ogre compatriots as they stomped along on business. The changing of watch, the ogre noted, all leave, 'cept me and Rekk and Turgi and Klet. We stay 'cause we the oldest, Gruumsh told himself, 'cause Shantu know we strongest, best warriors. Others just young pups, still with no tusks and no muscle. We stay. We watch slaves while young pups take naps. The ogre laughed to himself, the breath rasping in his lungs as he looked at the younger ogres marching along before him. One turned to look at the elder ogre captain.

"You think you strong pup?" he yelled at one, " You fight Gruumsh, you know how strong ogre can be. Turn your head, pup or Gruumsh eat you, you no stronger than elf, pup. You DIE!!" Gruumsh leapt forward, brandishing his axe in mock ferocity, then laughed insanely as the younger ogre cowered from him, breaking the line and bringing both the curses and whip of his officer upon his head before the division trudged out into the corridor, slamming the great iron doors behind them.

Gruumsh turned back to his post, bowing clumsily to Turgi and the rest as they hooted at the cowardice of the young soldiers and their comrades wit. Yes, Life was good, reflected Gruumsh, he had a cushy posting guarding slaves in the tunnels, he worked alongside his friends and tribemates of old, and once in awhile Shantu would let him and the other veterans off with scaring the younger ogres or eating the occasional slave. He had it made, and the venerable ogre settled into a comfortable position along the floor of the cell, thinking idly on which slave he should next eat. "Mebbe I eat dwarf in Cage," he muttered, musing " or mebbe human, mebbe I torture both and then eat, or mebbe......" BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

Gruumsh never finished his thought, intent as he was on finding the source of the boom. It was not something that was expected, that he could read plainly on his companions faces, what then......

He found the answer a moment later, as a wall of water swept around the wooden cells of the humans and raced forth to pound him and Turgi and Klet against the wall. Gruumsh swore, this couldn't be happening, nothing could take this wondrous life away from him, nothing. The massive strode through the waves, struggling against the incessant onslaught of water and the naturaly density of this body. It was too much, the water pulled him under, buffeted him in a swirling world of darkness and cold, and before he succumbed to his watery fate, he thought he saw a lanky dark-haired human thrash his way through the silty waters towards him. Gruumsh felt a foot thrust into his stomach, he felt human hands grope for his axe, he felt water rush to fill his screaming mouth.......... then he felt nothing at all.


Ryle spat out water, surfacing a few feet away from the now still ogre form. In his hand was an ogrish axe, which he was barely keeping from dragging him under at the moment. The warrior swam a few awkward strokes toward the cells, then stumbled as his feet touched bottom, he chuckled to himself. The stupid brutes had drowned in no more than four feet of water, he thought amusedly. But that water was rising with each moment and even though he knew, or assumed, that most of his fellow prisoners could swim, he'd better start working on getting them out. Raising the oversized axe in two slime covered arms, Ryle sang gaily to himself as he hacked repeatedly on the doors the the Cage, as he listened to the surprised and excited voices of the prisoners trapped inside. Would'nt be long now before he broke through the doors, and when he did he'd have himself and army...............



" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

sylvan
03/16/2002 12:33 AM

Taurhendil crouched carefully in the bottom of the ore cart, willing his mind to stillness. He could hear the ogre somewhere behind him, moving with a grunt at each loping stride. The elf waited, expectantly, and prayed.

Apparently, someone heard him.

The ogre's sword came crashing down on the cart, flying through the wooden planks as though they were rotted. There was a shock, then the ogre cried out in pain as the blade sank a half-inch into one of the iron bands and recoiled viciously. Taurhendil, not daring to think, rolled out from under the blade, kipped up in the cart, and slammed his chisel, palm-upwards, through the ogre's windpipe. The giant tried to gasp but failed, and a look of frenzied terror passed over its face as it staggered back, then fell, lifeless.

Taurhendil stood motionless for a moment. His eyes, that normally seemed to catch every glimmer of light in the passageways, were as matte as slate as he looked on his fallen foe. He retrieved his chisel without a word, without expression of any kind.

The elf turned, lifting the sword clear of the cart, then pulled out the barrow and the tools. He arranged the weapons carefully in the barrow, then threw the tarp over them. The ogre's body he layed carefully over the track, then levered the cart in such a way as to look, at first glance, as though it had run him down.

Taurhendil glanced down as he felt something against his feet. Water.

He grabbed the barrow and headed for the South Tunnel."Yes, I am Kerril Dragonslayer, destroyer of the demon-wyrm Morkellivir. Be awed and move on."

Dogar_Setton
03/16/2002 10:57 AM

Ryle stumbled forward into the Cage as the formidable doors, now shattered, fell in upon themselves under the blows of the axe. The prisoners crowded around expectantly, waiting in hushed silence as they watched their would-be saviour fall to his hands and knees in the water, watched him divest himself of the cumbersome and decidedly unwieldy ogre weapon. The swordsman stood, throwing his hair back from over his eyes and grinned at the congregation of former friends and acquaintances. At once an excited murmur rippled through the crowd, then hushed as a strong voice in the back of the crowd spoke up.

" Brennick... Humph! I figured it'd be you. Anyone else would've came with more speed and less drama, but no, not you! Had to ride the whole damned Blood Sea through the cellblock, didn't ya, boy. Got us well nigh to bein' drowned in the process as well. If I wasn't so glad to see you, I'd plant you face and eyes into that swamp you made, and laugh at ya while ya drowned alongside them Ogres."

Ryle's eyes narrowed to see in the semi-darkness, then lit up in delight as he located the speaker; a red-bearded Hill Dwarf, presently immersed up to his chest in water. " Ronogh Ironmaul," Ryle began, laughing as he shook his head, " I swear to whatever gods there are that you'll never be sastified by anything I do, so I might as well do whatever is in my power to inconvenience you" The swordsman splashed some of the murky water at the dwarfs head, the clapped him on the back as Ronogh roared in mock-outrage. "But for now I humbly beg you to take advantage of my little rescue attempt, and do something other than complain."

The warrior turned to face the ragged crowd of former mercenaries, the smile slipping from his visage as he spoke. " We have'nt much time, so listen well. Me and a few of the other slaves I know are mounting an escape to the surface, or a rebellion to overthrow the Ogre-Lord, whatever comes first, you understand." Ryle winked at the crowd as they crowded closer to hear. " Now I must ask a favour of this august gathering, we need warriors to help us fight our way to the surface, and seasoned commanders to organize the rest of the slaves into some sort of movement, but since I can't find any warriors or commanders at the moment, I suppose you poor wretches will have to do." The lanky human paused to perform a mock bow to the assembled soldiers as the air filled with gruff laughter and good natured insults.

The warrior straightened then, all humour gone from his weathered features. " Make no mistake, friends, this is life or death. We slip up and the ogres have merc stew for dinner, but if we succeed, you'll all have your freedom, and more gold from the ogre coffers than even you'll know what to do with." He paused here, waithing for the cheers of his fellow warriors to die down, then turned to the Dwarf and another of his longtime friends, a hulking Blonde-haired warrior from Nordmaar, named Laereth Duungaran. " Laer, Ronogh you take the point with me, I need someone to keep this bunch in line. Fess," at Ryle's voice a wizened old soldier, notably missing one ear, stepped out to the fore," you take a division of men and go back among the other cells. Free any other slaves you can and bring them along behind us. I'll take the main force and see if I can clear a safe route to the South Tunnel." The older warrior nodded and, motioning to a few others, set off back into the waterlogged warren.

Stepping out in front with a practiced military stance Ryle motioned to Laereth and Ronogh to join him, then pitched his voice to be heard over the excited throng. "Follow closely ,friends , and pick up anything along the way you think can be used as a weapon. It'll be a fierce fight to get to the South Tunnels, but I promise you that, once there, you'll find yourself good weapons and better allies. I promise you your lives and freedom."

Ryle pivoted and lead his troops at a run through the splintered doorway. Briefly, he looked back at the people following him, at the hope on their faces.He thought about his newfound friends and Taurendhils search for usable weapons, a search that faced near-impossible odds. Lastly he thought about his speech to his longtime comrades and his promise of weaponry and freedom.

He hoped dearly that he'd be able to fulfill that promise...................



" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

Ontarys
03/17/2002 9:46 AM

OOC: Tolk hasnt posted so she hasnt noticed the gully dwarf speaking to her. Pay attention to that post none the less as the gully dwarf tells of other dangers besides just ogres.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/17/2002 6:57 PM

Taurhendil crouched carefully in the deep shadows of the South Tunnel, the barrow tucked away behind him, his grey eyes scanning the darkness continualy for signs of his comarades. He had passed only a few ogres on his way, a troop of guards that had been passing by quickly and had hardly noticed the lone elf heaving at the heavy wheelbarrow.

It's impressive how complacant the fools have become. They believe themselves to be perfectly safe down here, and don't bother to view their captives as a serious threat. Indeed, though, most of the people here are in no shape whatever to fight. Zivilyn knows how we're going to get any of them out of here without a slaughter. And even if we get out, what hope is there that we'll get away on the surface?

Well. We'll just have to do without hope.

Where in Krynn are Ryle and Kilihan? I wonder if those guards were out because of them.... if so, the ogres were taking the long route to get them between here and the cells. If they're good, they can make it...
"Yes yes, I am Kerril Dragonslayer, destroyer of the demon-wyrm Morkellivir. Now be awed and move on."

icedragon
03/18/2002 6:58 AM

(( Sorry I'm so late. :) sorry it's cut short I had to go quickly...))

The sound of the Gully dwarf's voice caused all three companions to start. They whirled around and got in a drfensive posture. Just what exactly they were going to do against any danger they hadn't even thought of. Kilihan cursed herself for not noticing the gully dwarf before. Then again they were so lightfooted.

All three listened to the gully dwarf's plee. There were about five others with the apparent leader. Kilihan stepped forward and grabbed the leader's grimy shirt and pulled him close. Her eyes flashed and she suddenly seemed to fill the room.

"How do we know that you won't lead us right back to the ogres?" Kilihan whispered in a soft yet lethal voice.

The gully dwarf could only stammer for a minute. "M...m....me....." he stopped took a breath and then continued. "Tobur not lead you to ogres" he began again his eyes full of sorrow "We all want get out of here much as you do. Tobur knows way but need bigger people help."

Kilihan let his shirt go, she didn't want to frighten the poor thing but she had to know. She could read it in his eyes, she understood that look, the longing to finally be free.

Her eyes softened and her voice became gentle. "Okay Tobur we would be glad to have you help us. But I have a few friends who also need to know the way out. I cannot leave them. Have you seen a Kagonesti elf...." Kilihan stopped...the word was too big for Tobur. She smiled and tried again. "Have you seen a black haired elf about this tall, she held up her hand, "he's not a prisoner any more he was off to find some weapons."

Kilihan stopped realizing how futile her description was. Suddenly one of Tobur's followers walked forward.

"My name Garim" his eyes were downcast, he was still a little scared of Kilihan and he fidgeted with his clothes " I've seen one elf pushing cart. Him push it much to fast then jump in it. Ogres angry chase after him. Me no see him after that."

Kilihan paused and looked towards Bakie and Dylar.

"It could be him," Dylar began a slight smile played on his lips, "doesn't sound to be a ordinary occurence."

Kilihan sighed the whole weight of this escape finally hitting her. But she stood up straight and turned her eyes towards everyone in the rooms. "Okay Garim," she said sweetly her voice like the whisper of wind in the trees, "will you take me to this elf that you saw."

Garim was enchanted, "Yes me help you"

She turned toward Bakie and Dylar "You two go with the gully dwarf Tobur, check out this escape route he claims he has found. We need to meet back here, this tunnel is dark enough and deserted enough....I hope by then I will have found the others. Any questions?"


[Edited by icedragon on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 6:10 AM]

Dogar_Setton
03/18/2002 3:49 PM

Ryle raced through the blurring hallways, hurdling the thrashing body of an ogre guard that Ronogh had felled with a thrown rock. He paid it no mind as he passed over; the scores of fighters stampeding behind him would finish off the beast, and strip it of all usable weaponry as well, that was to be sure The fighter leered disdainfully down at the battered pick-axe in his hand, mutteing curses as he looked back upon his charging "army". The mercenaries had to settle for whatever weapon they could come by on their charge through the rocky passageways, and presently a threatening array of shovels, picks and chisels waved in the air above the advancing mercenaries.

Ryle turned a corner and stopped dead in his tracks, before him was an entire division of ogre troops, double timing down the corridor and toward the now waterlogged slave warrens. Howling a war cry to warn the men still behind him, Ryle sprinted towards the column, reassured by Ronogh's presence beside him and Laereth's quick pat on his arm. Without breaking stride, the lanky mercenary drew back the arm holding the pick and threw it, watching in sastisfaction as the brutish captain of the advancing company was flung backward, clutching the pick-axe that unexpectedly blossomed from his chest. Ducking the sweep of a massive sword, Ryle rolled to a nearby doorway, turning just in time to see Ronogh soundly batter the lead ogre's knees with a three-foot piece of iron railing. The giant toppled, screaming as he was trampled by more of his kindred, all seeking to silence these impertinent slaves.

The battle was on.

The lanky swordsman rushed to and fro, organizing his ragtag troop of mercenaries into a defensive line across the corridor, stepping in to lend a hand when the line seemed in danger of breaking. He shouted orders in a precise military staccato, striking with the butt of his pick when his men moved too slow. Briefly, Ryle allowed himself a smile. The ogres were certainly better armed and armored, but these slaves were soldiers, would always be soldiers, and thus their discipline and natural courage held in the face of even these jabbering brutes. He was, he admitted to himself with a smile, quite proud.

The smile deepened into a grimace as the ogres began another push, cutting down several mercenaries as they heaved themselves against the slaves lines. Ryle's forces responded in kind, and soon the floor was littered with bodies, both Ogres and their slaves, though there was decidedly more of the former. Ryle scanned the melee, his eyes catching on a single ogre at the rear, a feather-bedecked monstrosity that wielded an impressively large bone cudgel. The beast was presently toying with something cupped in its massive paws, and Ryle's battle hardened mind wondered idly what it was that the ogre was holding. A good luck charm? A trophy? Some useless affectation, perhaps? Suddenly one thought hit the swordsman with the force of a titans fist and Ryle bellowed out in desperation to his men.

" THE SHAMAN, GET THE SHAMAN!!!" Ryle's hands were a blur as he tore his way through the milling bodies in front of him, striking at any ogre that came anywhere near him. He was dimly aware of the sounds of battle around him; men dying, ogres gasping, the harsh music of steel on steel, but none of that mattered anymore. The Shaman was his objective, his only goal, and with the trained single-mindedness of the career fighter, he raged onward. Ryle thrashed through the maelstrom of limbs and weaponry, kicking in an ogre's throat here, stabbing with his chisel there, all the while striving toward the grinning ogre priest. The swordsman finally broke through the ogre's lines, drew back his pick, swung wildly at the Shaman....... and stumbled to the floor as his blow met empty air. The Shaman had winked out of existence.

Gradually Ryle came to realize that the battle was over. He could hear his men behind him, laughing, joking, looting the dead slavers. He vaguely recognized Laereth's booming laugh and came out of his stupor only when Ronogh pounded him on the back in congratulations. Ryle commended his men on their victory, gathered them once more into an organized column, led them at a run through the now empty hallway. But all the while one thought permeated his brooding mind, one question chilled him to his very soul.

Where in the name of the Abyss did that damn Shaman go, and what did it mean for him?

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

icedragon
03/19/2002 4:42 AM

(( I felt like I was hogging all the writing so I thought we could all split up. I didn't want to choose the actions of Tobur since he wasn't mine so I made up a name for another gully dwarf. Hope you don't mind? Okay I finally met up with Taurandhil too.))

Kilihan and Garim slipped off quietly down the hall. Gully dwarfes had a uncanny way of going by unnoticed. And although Kilihan was much bigger and had a harder time hiding in the shadows from the odd ogre passing by, Garim somehow kept them from the ogres sight. He took Kilihan too a practically deserted area of the mines. They were at the top of a small ridge, the tracks for the mine carts deep brown with rust. At the bottom of the hill was a mine cart, a useable mine cart. 'Why would they leave something like that down there.' Kilihan thought Then her keen eyes spotted the a body lying near it. She nearly gasped at the thought that crossed her mind, then looking harder she saw it was a ogre's body. Garim was staring with wide eyes at the body.

"That dead ogre body, bring big heap trouble, more work for slaves!' he whispered.

"Let's go down, my friend might be around.' Kilihan whispered back her eyes darting around, suddenly the shadows seemed even darker the cries of slaves and the harsh ogre voices seemed to block her hearing. 'He has to be here' she thought.

They slunk down near the cart keeping in the dark, the only sound was a faint rustling of Kilihan's robes. No one was around, then again the scent of ogres and death was everywhere it was hard to tell. Kilihan stepped toward the empty mine cart when suddenly something grabbed her arm from behind her and all she had time to do was curse herself.
Liana Nirel of Duryan

sylvan
03/19/2002 6:13 AM

Taurhendil watched them come up the passageway ahead, a laughing, snarling mob with Ryle at their head, and knew instantly that everything was wrong. The Elf quit moving quietly in the shadows and stepped right into the mercenary's path. Ryle nearly bowled him over before he knew the Elf was standing there.

Taurhendil's glare was cold, though his voice was impassive. "This way, and for all our sakes, keep quiet." With a gliding bound, the Elf led the company back towards the South Tunnel.

Ariving a minute later, he tucked the band of fighters into the relative safety of the tunnel's enterence. He told them to rest for a moment, then turned and went to Ryle.

Between gasps to regain his wind, the swordsman managed, "You missed out, Taur, but I guess we won't have to wait too long to see how good you are in battle."

The Elf made no pretense of reply, but moved to within a hairsbreadth of the mercanary before deling him a powerful slap that staggered even the tough human. The otheres snatched up their weapons, but Teurhendil ignored them, intent on Ryle.

"Listen closely, mercenary. I know you're eager to get revenge, as eager as any of us. But if you don't want us all to die in the attempt, you're going to need to use a little more discression. We now have no idea whatsoever how much of the mine has been alerted to our presence, and you may well have lost us all decent elements of surprise. What's more, Kilihan, Bakie, and Dylar are still out there somewhere, not to mention all of the other slaves. I don't know what stunt you've pulled, but the entire complex is going to be swarming with enemies before long. You may care only about your own friends, but I..."

Taurhendil paused in the middle of his cold fury, realizing for the first time just what he was saying. He put it from his mind, deciding that it wasn't worth debating his usual survivalism versus his newfound valor at this point.

"...I'm going after the others."

Taurhendil grabbed some rock dust from the floor, spit into it and muttered some flowing sentence, then drew a few careful lines onto his face with deft strokes. The pattern seemed to crawl over his skin and clothes as the magical camoflage took effect, rendering him nearly invisible. The Elf paused for a moment as he began to leave the tunnel.

"You'll find some more decent weapons in the barrow over there, including a sword that should be balanced enough for you to use two-handed. I suggest that you hold here until either I or the others return so that we don't become scattered again. I shall return if I can, but if they make it here before I do, try to get out without me- it will be far easier for me to evade persuit alone than for the lot of you to remain hidden here."

The baleful grey eyes shone for a second longer in the darkness, then Taurhendil turned and disappeared into the shadowed halls once again.


OOC: No hard feelings about this, Dogar... Taurhendil's point of view. Don't forget that he didn't know about those you sent to free some of the other slaves. ALso, I can edit this post if you're feeling like Ryle would've said something different... I always hate speaking for other peoples' characters."Yes yes, I am Kerril Dragonslayer, destroyer of the demon-wyrm Morkellivir. Now be awed and move on."

[Edited by sylvan on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 8:23 PM]

icedragon
03/19/2002 6:27 AM

(( Sylvan I didn't even think to ask you beforehand but I wrote that the arm grabbing me would turn out to be you. Is that okay or do you need me to change it? It's no problem...but actually it fits right in with your post, me not bieng able to see you. :) ))Liana Nirel of Duryan

dylar
03/19/2002 7:08 AM

OOC: Going on vacation sry!
"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Ontarys
03/19/2002 8:19 AM


" THE SHAMAN, GET THE SHAMAN!!!

OOC: get the Shaman huh?! lol >:). Sylvan was prophetic when he mentioned the fact others would be alerted >:). As for the Shaman good way to make him dissappear, there is no way to defeat him by yourselves (i'l help out with beating him) you will be seeing him AND ogres galore soon......for being so brash mu wa ha ha ha ha haaaaaa. And it aint gonna be easy. Pay close attention to the gully dwarf..........thats all i'l sayI put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/19/2002 8:21 AM

OOC:

(( Sylvan I didn't even think to ask you beforehand but I wrote that the arm grabbing me would turn out to be you. Is that okay or do you need me to change it? It's no problem...but actually it fits right in with your post, me not bieng able to see you. :) ))


Yes, sorry about that... I wasn't sure whether ou were trying to present a new setback or if you were setting up a meeting. We'll go your way.

IC:
As Kilihan whirled, ready to strike, she found herself suddenly facing a shadowy form, a blur against the stones. The figure slowly coalesced into the grim visage of her Kargonesti companion, his finger raised for silence. He beckoned her into a side passage, pulling the gully dwarf in behind them after a moment's scrutiny.

"Thank Paladine you're alive. Ryle's done something rash, and I immidiately came down here to try to find you and the others. If I'm not wrong, the entire garrison will be armed and searching for us very soon, so we will have to get out of here quickly. Ryle freed most of the hard cases, but I have doubts about the safely of the other slaves. We should spare them a moment before we try to get back to the South Tunnel ourselves. Our main problem will be trying to get to them... the stoneshroud spell I have on only works for one." At this, Taurhendil Turned to the gully dwarf. "If you know of any fast and quiet ways around, I would certainly appreciate your sharing the knowledge.""Yes yes, I am Kerril Dragonslayer, destroyer of the demon-wyrm Morkellivir. Now be awed and move on."

TolkaninFaznin
03/19/2002 9:19 AM

((ooc; GAR!!! I'm sorry!!! Everytime I sit down to post something happens :-( anyway, I'm here.))

Bakie jumped at the sound of the gully dwarves, but listened with interest. This may just be the help they needed! Khillian suggested that they split up, and Bakie started down an almost hidden tunnel with Rin and Fimir.

"There is tunnels from kitchen." Rin said. "We can go up from there."

"How far are the kitchens?" Bakie asked, however before she could be answered they could hear the belching of an approaching ogre and stepped back into the shadows. Bakie crouched low and held her breath, and went unnoticed. She sighed as he disappeared down the other way.

"Kitchens down a far way." Fimir said. "but we go fast." With that, they started skirting up the tunnel, keeping to the shadows. Bakie cast a wary glance around her, and then followed.

I hope the othes are all right . . ."Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

Ontarys
03/19/2002 9:40 AM

Tabur stood stoicly as taurendil questioned him. "Y yes me know way. Main passages be full of many ogre's now, plus we need stay away from the black one him ogre shaman with big magic. Come we hurry now."

Moving along the pathway they soon came upon a crossroad, the grumble and grunts of patroling pgre's could be heard distinctly. Tabur however seemed unperturbed by the commotion and urgency at hand. making a low whistle and 2 knocks next to a small almost out of place boulder he stood as the others watched anxiously. Suddenl the small boulder shifted to reveal a small hole that lead into a somewhat larger hidden tunnel, it had taken the gully dwarves many years to build the underground passage and keep it secret. The trail lay ahead littered with garbage and other unsavorary objects but it was a chance at avoiding the ogres that seemed to be pressing all around them.

"We hurry, this path lead right under ogre barracks. We use it to hide when tehy come to kill one of us. It will lead us to main tunnel, we safe til then. There be many ogre there though, and me always worry about shaman."

A high piercing wail could be heard just above in the distance just as the secret doorway was once again covered. The heavy stomp of footsteps trampled overhead as everyone stood silent and breathless. An argumnet between two ogre's could be overhead as they stood in the dark pathway afraid to make even the smallest sound.

"You fool, Sha mad now. How dumb slaves beat our guards? He wan know. And what we tell Shantu when he come back? We do big search now and find them soon or we all in trouble with dragon. What big mess we in. You hear that wil? That Sha working his magic, if we no find them rebels he will."

With that nothing else could be heard as the ogre's continued on in there search, not know how close they really were to their prey.

With a sigh of releif Tabur turned and began his procession through the dark and dank tunnel, the ground, moist and sticky wasnt conducent for silent walking as rats scurried underfoot. The tunnel seemed slightly lit in itself or it could have been from the bright grren moss that clung everywhere along the ceiling and walls.

A low rumble again could be heard in the distance and Tabur thought aloud........"we better get out of mines soon............I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

Dogar_Setton
03/19/2002 2:09 PM

((OOC: I don't mind, Sylvan, a little tension between heroes always makes for good reading, but Ryle wouldn't sound as arrogant as that after fighting a running battle from the warrens to here. At the very least he'd have been breathing harder :D I'm a little miffed at having my merc's being called a mob though; Ryle did have them organized into columns during the rush. But then again, since Taur's a Kagonesti he'd probably describe any large group of human's as "moblike" so that's okay..... :D By the way, who's going to take over Dylar's character, now that he's on vacation?....))

IC:

"By all the gods, Ryle, we won't let that damned ranger away with that, will we boys!?!"

Ryle looked up from the tunnel exit long enough to see his men snatching up weapons and loading slings, intent on running down the elven ranger. Indeed, a few of the more fleet-footed were already halfway out the tunnel. Ryle held up his hands and ordered them back to his side.

" Stop it, all of ye. What are you, dimwitted goblins that go running around like fools as soon as a blow's been struck." Ryle raised his hand to his face, rubbing the deep-red skin on his stubbled jaw. " Leave the elf alone. He's not a soldier, never has been; he does'nt realize what we went through to get this far. If he did, you can all be sure he'd have been a little more thankful. Taur's a good man, a friend, and I can't have you running off to hack the arms off a friend just because he cracked me one, now can I? That means you, Nethik." Ryle glared at a bearded warrior who had picked up a halberd from the weapon pile. " Besides, all he did was slap me, and I'm positive that I've come to blows with more than one of ye over the years."

Ryle leapt to the top of an over-turned ore cart, scanning the room as the men crowded around him to hear what else he had to say. He beckoned to his dwarven friend, then pointed to the centre of the room. " Ronogh, take some men and start moving those ore carts, I want a defensible barricade at each of the entrances, and a group of men ready to defend each one. Laereth, you gather any men experienced with slings and post them on the sides of those walls," Ryle pointed to several jagged outcroppings around the perimeter of the massive tunnel. " Nethik," he spoke, turning to find the hot-tempered halberd wielder, " since you're so damned eager to dip into that weapon pile, you can distribute the arms around the men. Make sure you get plenty of slings and ammunition to the sharpshooters on the walls."

The roguish soldier stepped down from the ore-cart, collaring a young half-elf named Farethis as he went . Ryle posted the quick-eyed young man as a scout outside the entrance, with orders to keep watch, and report the arrival of anybody, friend or foe. Truth be told, Ryle was become more than a little worried about Fess and the one-eared soldiers mission to free the other slaves, and he wanted word of them as fast as he could.

The mercenary strode purposefully toward the weapon crate, lifted the two-handed sword Taurendhil had told him about. It was finely balanced and seemed to be of good quality steel. "Probably of Ergothian make." Ryle told himself, eyeing the brass filigree on the hilt, and the crosspiece, which was forged in the shape of a cresting wave. " Nice work. Decorative, yet functional enough to be used in battle. Taur may not be a soldier, but he's certainly got a good eye for weaponry."

Ryle frowned as he thought of his friend. From what he knew of the elf, it wasn't in his nature to easily give way to anger. Ryle's troops were certainly not making enough racket to alert the entire cellblock, and what killing they did was necessary for them to reach the objective, not useless slaughter. Ryle rubbed his jaw in consternation. What then? What in the world was the elf so jumpy about. He said something about 'friends', then.....

The warrior stopped, eyes lighting up as a memory struck him. The elf's voice, usually calm and even, had noticeably cracked when he'd spoken Kilihan's name. Yes, Ryle nodded, the more he thought about it, the more he was sure he heard it. The lanky warrior smiled slightly to himself, chuckling. Taurendhil wasn't insane, nor was he ignorant over military matters.

He was in love............


((OOC: If no-one wants to go on with this budding love interest thing, just tell me and I'll edit it. But i do think it will make for quite a plotline.................. :D ))



" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

sylvan
03/19/2002 8:16 PM

OOC: A love interest for a ranger? Perhaps... but Ryle has not known Taurhendil Farothin for too long. It would be natural for Ryle to think as he does, but there's still much of the story left to go. You'll just have to see how things develop. And of course, Icedragon's character has her own decisions.

Also, I suggest that Dylar got pulled off by another gully dwarf, and we can meet up again later on when he comes back.

IC:

As Kilihan, Tabur, and Taurhendil entered the passage, the Elf whispered to the gully dwarf. "All right, but don't forget that we should try the slave pens again... they'll massacre half of them just to scare everyone back into submission, or I'm a gnome. Also, we need to get Ryle and his troops out of the South Tunnel before we get to the surface, even if we have to fight them out."

Taurhendil suddenly fell silent and shuddered as the wail of the shaman sounded from somewhere above them. He had watched the rituals of monsterous tribes many times in his life, but had never heard a cry so tainted and barbaric. Worst of all, in his spirit he could feel the corrupt magic being weaved out of those twisted sounds. As he cringed, Nature itself seemed to cringe with him. Without a word, he moved unsteadily up the passageway with his companions.

None of his reactions, however, were visible to Tabur or Kilihan. With his spell resumed, the ranger's outline was blurred, and the best mark of his travel was the soft squelch under his leather shoes, the silvery light that his eyes gathered from the ambient glow, and the occasional clink of the chain still bound to his right wrist. As the little party went, he keenly noted the various mosses and other bits of flora coating the tunnel. Strange that there's so much plant life, he marveled. There must be a river or a spring nearby to force so much moisture through the crevices this deep. Hallo, what's this??

"Wait a moment." Taurhendil stooped carfuly and reached out to something on the floor. Straightening, he showed his companions several small mushroom caps, each with a pattern of small, brown splotches that resembled stars. "Cavejewels. That is, cavejewel mushrooms. A critical component for one or two spells I know. This makes us far better armed than before." Seeing that the gully dwarf was both uninterested and jittery, the ranger pocketed the items and nodded for Tabur to continue.

Watching carefully for uneven and slippery spots, the Elf glided along beside the woman, keeping a sharp eye on both his companions and their surroundings."Yes yes, I am Kerril Dragonslayer, destroyer of the demon-wyrm Morkellivir. Now be awed and move on."

[Edited by sylvan on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 8:30 PM]

icedragon
03/20/2002 5:45 AM

(( A love interest..I like it makes the story more complicated and gives it more character ;) I'll play along if you like it sylvan. We have left space for it. But it does make sense that Ryle doesn't know Taurandhil that well. Well guess if it was love you might be able to see signs. I'll have to write later I'm in the middle of class....teachers starting to look at me funny...lol...he's starting to suspect me of.....not paying attention....oh wait I do that all the time anyway.. :D...))Liana Nirel of Duryan

sylvan
03/20/2002 6:33 AM

OOC:

he's starting to suspect me of.....not paying attention....oh wait I do that all the time anyway..


What? Not paying attention in class?? sacrilige! ;)
"How do you do that??"

"Come closer and I'll show you."

TolkaninFaznin
03/20/2002 6:22 PM

"Just a little farther!" Firim said cheerfully as she and Rin disappeared into another gully dwarfish-made tunnel. There had been a few cutting across the larger corriders and down towards teh kitchen, most of which Bakie really had to squeeze tight to fit. She looked at the entrance to this next one completely doubing she would fit at all, and hesitated a moment too long.

A large arm reached around her waist and pinned her arms to her side and herself to the side of an ogre.

"What you doing here alone, elf? Don't you know it dangerous to be alone?" He laughed, carting her up the corridor as she struggled futilely against him.

This can't be good at all! Bakie thought. She looked behind the ogre to see Rin and Firim scrambling over each other, both yelling and reaching into their pouches.

"Leave her alone!"

"She not do anything to you!"

The ogre turned. "Oh, so you want her then, eh? Here; have her!" He then launched Bakie through the air, and she landed in a painful thud where the gully dwarves had been -- before they jumped out of the way.

"That it! We bring out magic!!"

"Yeah!"

Rin brandished a leather thong ((long piece of thin leather, *not* underware . . .just to be clear :D )) and Tirim held up a rat skull.

"On three, we say magic words!" Firim said to Rin. The Ogre was laughing.

"Okay, one . . ."

"Three!"

"No, no! Three come after four."

"But four come before one and you said one first. . . "

"Four only come after one when I want to use five."

"Okay, then, on the count of five?"

But before either of them could do anything, Bakie took the skull, tied it to the thong, and then spun it around in the air really fast before launching it at the advancing ogre. Her aim being so good and the rat's skull actually having some added weight with an accumulation of dirt and grime, smacked the ogre between the eyes hard enough to get him to drop his axe.

Wasting no time, Bakie leapt foward and grabbed the weapon. She had only intended to frighten him with it, hoping that the site of a disgruntled slave with a heavy weapon would intimidate him, but he only advanced on her like was a frightened puppy.

So instead she killed him.

It was you or him . . . you or him . . . you did it to survive . . . Bakie thought desperately as she sat hard on the ground. "How on earth did I do that . . .?" She thought aloud. Adrenilnine had been her best friend just then, as otherwise she would have been dead a moment later.

"They come! They come!" Rin said, tugging at Bakie's sleeve. "Firim go to find out how many!"

Firim then came running up, puffing.

"How many?!" Rin asked anxiously.

Firim smiled. "Not more than two!" She said.

This startled Bakie back to life, as she knew exactly what 'two' in Gully-dwarvish meant.

"Where's that passageway? Let's go!" She said, hefting the axe. She gave one last, remorseful glance at the ogre's body, and then followed Rin and Firim.
"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

sylvan
03/20/2002 7:12 PM

OOC: LOL! That's hilarious! Nice bit of humor.

*twiddles his thumbs, waiting for a reply pertinant to himself*"How do you do that??"

"Come closer and I'll show you."

icedragon
03/21/2002 5:30 AM

(( alright alright...I'm here now I'll risk getting caught to write my part ;) ))

Kilihan whirled around to face her attacker. Even with the ferocity in her eyes she still ahd the grace of an elf. Her eyes widened at seeing the shadowy form holding her, she briefly thought of the black robed mage and shuddered, a look of hatred crossing her face. But the figure continued to materalize quickly and the hatred vanished upon realizing she looked into Taurandhil's eyes. She sighed with relief but didn't pull her arm away. Kilihan had not been afraid, in fact there wasn't much at all she feared down here. 'But why was I so anxious to see him again' she thought briefly as he signaled her to be quiet. She heard the answer whisper within her thoughts but as a child sometimes ignores his mothers call, so she too pretneded she didn't hear it.
Tobur lead the way, flitting in and out of the shadows, Taurandhil walked beside her, his form hidden by his magic. The slight clink of his chain was all Kilihan needed to know where he was. She hoped it wasn't as obvious to the ogres. They came to a door, practically hidden and walked within. Taurandhil began to pick the various mushrooms fromt he cave's walls. He mentioned something about needing the for spell components.

"What need have you with mushrooms for a spe...." Kilihan stopped sensing the confused look Taruandhil must be giving her. And it was then she remembered the ways of mortals magic. She could not see his eyes but she knew they were watching her. How those eyes confused her. She both hated and loved them for the way they made her feel. 'I give away to much' she thought 'He would not want to know I could not tell him he would treat me differently then" her thought rambled on until Tobur's childlike voice chimed into her head
"We need keep going, cannot stay long ogres find us!"

"I thought this was a secret tunnel...." Kilihan stopped short, for the first time she now heard the shaman. She could feel the evil emanating from above and it made her very soul shiver.

"We must leave quickly" She whispered quickly her eyes staring up above, "They will sense me, I may stand out such as the moon does at night. They will know....they will come after me....I can't let you get caught with me...." Kilihan was unsually anxious. Taurandhil saw the anguish in ehr eys and stepped forward to put a arm on her shoulder. He didn't want to see that look in her eyes, he wanted to help her.....
Liana Nirel of Duryan

sylvan
03/21/2002 6:58 AM

Turhendil stood in the near-darkness, clasping Kilihan firmly by the shoulder. His mouth was drawn into a thin line, his furrowed brow making his face a mask of fearsome worry. Mishakal's tears, if I felt her, why wouldn't they? What's happening to me, am I going blind? ...No... no, if the shaman had been able to sense her power, he would never have allowed her to live for so long. And he would already be on top of us. Perhaps I haven't lost everything... perhaps Ryle's attack created enough of a diversion. Either way, we have to go now. He stared deeply into those blue eyes, so full of pain, and it was like gazing into a mirror.

"Kilihan," The ranger's voice was low but firm, the tone of a man calming a frightned child even as the house burns down around him. "Kilihan, stay calm. Breathe deeply.

They will sense us; that is inevitable. They will come after us; that is their dury. They will catch me with you... and they will taste death. I will not leave you.

Courage, my friend." The Elf carefully touched her forehead, brushing it with the tips of two of his fingers, and it seemed that in that touch was the breath of an endless wind, the incessant calm of the rolling sea, the unconquerable strength of the mountain. "While we stand together, none shall bring us harm."

He held her gaze for a moment longer. "It is time to go, galadimoriel."How do you do that??"

"Come closer and I'll show you."

Ontarys
03/21/2002 7:13 AM

Tabur picked up the pace as they made their way through the tunnels, twisting and winding but all the same a direct path. The noise above could no longer be heard, only the soft drip of water and the sqishing sound their feet made as they walked upon the slick tunnel floor.

"We get to end soon" whispered the Tabur as he paused for a minute giving everyone a chance to catch their breath.

"Will be dangerous, ogres everywhere now. I leave you here, I get my people ready to leave with you. Follow path to end, when get to end push big stone and you be in open. Look out for ogre's. We find you soon. Good luck"

Turning down another pathway tabur was soon out of sight leaving them to their own devices.

OOC: Have somthing planned.........but it totally depends on what you guys do next. I kinda like the 2 groups its a good idea........sooner or later though you all better get together >:) lolI put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

Ontarys
03/21/2002 7:22 AM


No... no, if the shaman had been able to sense her power, he would never have allowed her to live for so long. And he would already be on top of us

OOC: I never miss things like that lol. Trust me the shaman knows, you'l see why i waited later. remember Shantu is with the dragon soon to return. Icedragons character will be dealt with in short order >:)I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/21/2002 1:54 PM

OOC: Not so fast!

IC:

"Tabur, wait!"

Taurhendil ran and snatched the gully dwarf by the collar, drawing him back for a moment.

"'In the open?' Where are we anyway? We're a good pace from where we started, but I've no idea what part of the mines we're in... give us some sort of direction before you just let us go. Where are we, for instance, in relation to the South Tunnel? We should meet up with Ryle's group, or at least send them a message to move on their own.""How do you do that??"

"Come closer and I'll show you."

Dogar_Setton
03/21/2002 5:27 PM

(( OOC: So are the two groups planning on circling back to the South Tunnel to pick up Ryle and the Mercenaries, or are they trying to find a way out first?......... Oh well, I'll continue to wait anyway. Besides, I've got to wait for Fess and the freed slaves to catch up, don't I? ))


Ryle fidgeted impatiently, fingering the tooled hilt of his sword as he looked around at his men. He saw them as they shifted in place, muttered quietly to each other, clenched and unclenched fists in mute anger. They were uneasy, Ryle sensed, and soon they will grow impatient with waiting. Soon they will attempt to seize their freedom.

The lanky warrior frowned at a group of men as they grew too loud in their mutterings, then positioned them at strategic points in the room with a series of rapid hand gestures. He couldn't let the men try to fight their way out, that would be a massacre. Yet he knew very well that if the legion of mercenaries were forced to wait any longer, tempers would begin to snap and the men would take their rescue into their own hands. Ryle gazed down at the blade of his sword for a long moment. He couldn't let that happen.

Ryle strode impatiently around the chamber, and, not for the first time, thought longingly about old Fess and the group of freed slaves he was bringing to the Tunnel. Fess had been the most experienced man among the soldiers, and if anybody could lead the civilians to this temporary bastion, he could. But Ryle still worried.

"Gods damn it" Ryle muttered softly " Where are Taur and the rest? Is Kilihan all right I wonder? And the Elven girl, what of she?" The fighter ran a hand through his tangled, black hair. " If I just had some way of knowing what was going on, I ......"

He looked up as Ronogh and Laereth hissed his name from across the chamber, and he heard the hum of speech ripple through the ranks of men. Wonderingly, Ryle jogged up to his lieutenants, then stopped abruptly, realizing what the commotion was about.

One of his sentries was sprinting into the chamber, waving his hand to attract his commanders attention.............

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

icedragon
03/22/2002 6:04 AM

(( How about we meet up with Bakie? Then we can make are way back to Ryle, you know I wasn't sure why we were going the other way....oh well we can work it all in together. Tobur could have led us near the kitchen. I'll write it in but I can edit it if we need to. Oh and Sylvan I feel as if I should know this but what does galadimoriel mean? I feel so dumb asking that. Bakie the small figure we see is you, if you don't mind. That way we can meet up, since you were heading to the kitchen anyway. If thats a problem I can change it.))

Kilihan felt Taurandhil's hand upon her shoulder, the anxiety left her eyes. She felt as if she had been standing at the edge of a precipace ready to fall, only suddenly she was swept backward. She heard the tone of Taurandhil's voice speaking softly to her, if only he could have know it wasn't her life she feared for ....not anymore. She smiled hoping he was watching her, to reassure him that she had collected herself. Kilihan moved her hand up to were she could feel Taurandhil's, and placed her own upon his.

"Thank you Taurandhil," she said softly and she squeezed his hand gently, "It seems you are my shining light in this dreary tunnel." She was loathe to let his hand go but suddenly Tobur spoke up.

"Follow this tunnel, find big rock door, it will move watch out for ogre, me go find my others." And with that Tobur took off down the tunnel. Kilihan felt the air move slightly as his shadowy form ran after the gully dwarf. Suddenly, seemingly out of thin air the gully dwarf appeared, in Taurandhil's invisible grip.

"Where exactly are we? Where does this lead, how do we reach the South Tunnel?" Taurandhil's questions pelted Tobur like rain.

"This tunnel led to kitchen....find nice heap of rats!" he added as if to reassure them, "kitchen near south tunnel you find it, Tobur knows tunnels." He nodded his head his manner suddenly very serious. Kilihan suppressed a smile as Tobur again took off.

"It seems we have no choice but to continue this way." Kilihan said feeling Taurandhil come to stand beside her, a smile still across her lips. They walked on down the dark tunnel, feeling their way carefully when suddenly the tunnel ended.

"The door the Tobur was talking of must be here" Taurandhil said somewhat grimly. It took them a few minutes to find it and to their dismay it was a door made for a gully dwarf, meaning it was perhaps three feet high at the most and even more narrow. "I hope we can fit through." Kilihan spoke her eyes scrutinizing the door

They pushed against the rock and suprisingly it moved quite easily. "I'll go first," Taurandhil suggested "my magic will protect me." Kilihan longed to reach out to him, her hand even raising up, but she could not see him. "Becareful my sweet elf," a sly smile crept up her lips, "I would not want to lose my light in this dark tunnel." She laughed softly. It reminded Taurandhil this time of the birds of his homeland. Sweet yet wild and free.

Taurandhil smiled and said sweetly back, "Of course my dear lady, I shall return" and crept through the door.

Kilihan waited a few seconds and then walked in herself. The room was empty, a fire blazed, some meat was held on a spike over it. Niether could recognize it and perhaps it was better they didn't know. Dishes lay scattered around, chairs were in disarray. They closed the door behind them, marveling at how it seemingly disappeared within the wall. The gully dwarf's were smarter then many gave them credit for. The two were about to speak to one another when the door opposite them creaked open, a small figure was within, it's body covered in shadow. The outline of a weapon was visible however and Kilihan and Taurandhil prepared to silence this intruder.Liana Nirel of Duryan

[Edited by icedragon on Friday, March 22, 2002 10:01 AM]

sylvan
03/22/2002 4:05 PM

OOC: I don't have time to post just now, but I will answer your question. In a strange coincidence, considering your last post, galadimoriel means "glimmer in the darkness" in Elvish :)"How do you do that??"

"Come closer and I'll show you."

[Edited by sylvan on Friday, March 22, 2002 9:18 PM]

Ontarys
03/22/2002 5:56 PM

OOC:I have a feeling you guys will run into each other......thats the way it looks right now. be prepared for plot twist, tabur has a big part in it. im kinda bsy for the next 2 weeks so i wont post actual lines...it'l be a lot more on the DM side, directing the thread and keeping things going.

Tabur stuttered and mumbled uncontrolablly, "Lemme go! must get my people. you have little time before orgres catch on. hurry, Sha not be happy if he find you. Out same intrance you can find south tunnel.....no go"

Moving faster than anticipated the gully dwarf evaded his grasp and went deeper into the winding tunnels, the sound of his squishing feet heard easily and just as suddenly.....they stopped.

A low rumble shakes the cave.........now it is obvius what Sha has been up to, his wailing has ceased. Far down the tunnel that they have traversed they see dozens of bright green eyes approaching swiftly. Still some hours away however, it is obvious they are............Golems.

OOC: icedragon I suggest you think quick over the next few days lol >:) Sha knows of you.......and so does the other dragon, everyone prepare for a fight!! >:)

.............................................

OOC: Here is how I will post for the next couple of days, i will lay out what is happening and you guys respond. if you dont like it let me know and i will post regular, though they will be short.

Shantu has come back to the mines to find things in disarray, he has all the ogre's available searching for the rebels......killing a slave every hour upon the hour til he finds them.

Sha has sent Golems into the hidden tunnels, though some distance away, they are coming. Dont worry about Sha.........yet. Worry about the golems >:) :oI put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/22/2002 9:37 PM

"Thrice accursed dwarf..." muttered Taurhendil quietly, then turned and climbed through the exit into the kitchen. Crouching low, he saw the intruder's shadow as Kilihan came out beside him, but he thought he heard something as well. Sparing a precious second, he glanced back down the tunnel. Golems. Brightblade's blood, is Takhisis herself after us? Still, the existance of the mushrooms is more clear now... Branchala's blessing, even here.

The Elf glanced back up again, saw, at the second look, that it was no ogre entering the kitchen, for the figure had neither the bulk nor the height of one of the monsters. Taurhendil shifted his chisel in his hand and moved off to the left and into the shadows more, waiting for the person to step closer."How do you do that??"

"Come closer and I'll show you."

[Edited by sylvan on Friday, March 22, 2002 9:45 PM]

Dogar_Setton
03/24/2002 1:44 PM

" You saw WHAT?"

" Golems, Ryle, at least four of 'em." The scout gasped for breath, motioning toward the small side tunnel he had just came from. " There about 100 yards behind me, and there moving kind of slow, but there's no doubt that there headed this way." His report finished, the scout doubled over, grasping his knees and mopping his sweating brow.

Ryle straightened, looking at his men as they milled about in confusion. " Back to your posts, if these golem things do find their way here I'd rather they see us ready to fight than wandering around like stray chickens." Ryle waved the men away, collaring one as he ran past. " Aedan, you find the sentries in the other side tunnels, ask them if they've seen anything. Also tell them to be ready to move, they may have to fall back into the main warren soon." Ryle watched the mercenary jog off into the Western side tunnel, then turned to look at the dwarf, Ronogh.

" Have any ideas, old friend?" Ryle asked,sighing.

" Aye," Ronogh grunted, " find a mage and find him quick, that's my advice. I've heard many a tale about Golems in my day, but I've never actually seen one. If the tales be true, though, there'll be little enough use for this." Ronogh paused, lifting up a brutal looking war-axe he had claimed. " From what I know about Golems, there naught but walking statues made from stone or iron and controlled by wizards, and a blade'll avail ye not for choppin' at stone."

Ryle gazed thoughtfuly at his draw blade, then slid it into a crude scabbard one of his men had made for him. " Well," he began slowly, " if they're made of stone , we'll fight them like stone. Hell, we've been train fo it it for well nigh a year now." Ryle looked down at Ronogh, laughing softly as he saw the dwarf's befuddled expression. " Tell the men to put away their blades. They're to use only hammers and picks when the damn statues show up, it's time to fight the ogres with what they themselves taught us." The lanky mercenary forced a smile as he slapped his friend on the back. " I only hope the men don't mutiny when you tell them they have to go back to chipping stone again."

Ronogh smiled at the weak joke, though his eyes remained humourless. The dwarf turned to go, then stopped and gripped Ryle's arm fondly. " We'll make it out alive, boy, we always do. Somehow we'll all be all right in the end." Ronogh left then, calling the men to their muster points and explaining their battle plan.

Alone in the corner of the warren now, Ryle hung his head in near-defeat. Golems, he thought, gods dammit, we can't fight golems! Ogres, yes, hobgoblins surely, but not Golems. How do you kill something that's not really alive?

Ryle looked up at the ceiling, gathering his courage. So be it, they'd fight these stone monstrosities and die where they stand, but at least they'd die fighting. It was all he could ever hope for. Still, Ryle wished for someone, anyone, with a command of magic to be with him, just to give them a chance. Kilihan, Dylar, even Taur's small repertoire of spells could at least give us a fighting chance. If only..........

"Sir," Ryle looked up as he heard a voice speak his name. The young scout, seeing he had his commander's attention, spoke again, softly." Sir, they're coming."

Ryle gazed once, longingly, at his sword, a newfound gift from a newfound friend. He looked up to see the eyes of the young scout, eyes that beheld Ryle with glow of admiration and trust. Sighing, the lanky mercenary drew forth his sword, watching in pride as the torchlight bounced off the perfect steel blade. He strode to the vanguard of the defenders. He would fight these golems at the head of his men and charge forth into the fray, perhaps to triumph.

Perhaps, to die...............

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

sylvan
03/24/2002 7:03 PM

OOC: considering that Bakie's gone for the moment, I'll just move around her, if that's okay. It looks like the home team's going to need some backup soon ;)

IC:

Taurhendil straightened as he suddenly recognised the figure. "Bakie! Paladine's grace, I can't believe you're alive!" A voice whispered at Taurhendil, No time. He brought his stoneshroud spell back to full strength and guestured to the two women.

"Let's go. Ryle's party must be close by, and considering that they're still waiting for us, they'll be easy targets. Stay sharp..." the Elf's eyes met Kilihan's for a brief eternity. "And stay safe."

Without another word, the ranger slipped out of the door, took a moment to gather his direction, then moved swiftly up the hallway. The impressions in the stone floor were not lost upon him... the golems were already somewhere ahead of them. He reached into his pocket to reassure himself that the cavejewels were still there, then moved a little faster."How do you do that??"

"Come closer and I'll show you."

Ontarys
03/25/2002 7:41 AM

OOC: For the record there are 6 golems lightly armed with rusty swords. Glad you guys have some knowledge of golems (though i had planned on them being blood golems, they are much more gruesom lol, stone golems will do). They have increased their pace and are now in position to attack.......(Battle!!!!!! >:) )I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/25/2002 7:48 AM

ooc: "Lightly armed" thank goodness =)"How do you do that??"

"Come closer and I'll show you."

icedragon
03/25/2002 8:30 AM

OOC: (( Are we meant to meet, or fight with the red dragon. If so I'm going to need a sideline to gain my dragon form back. If not then I can save that for another thread. Thought I'd add a bit a dragon's cursing to the story ;) ))

"Golems!" The word rang around Kilihan's head clear as the bell's of some grand church. She looked toward Taurandhil. He knew, she saw the downcast look in his eyes.

"We must go" he said slowly, sadly to the two women. Then he looked at Kilihan. "We must be careful....and safe." They held each others gaze and unconsciously allowed themselves to imagine what could be. But the evil that seemed to emanate from the very walls around them snatched them from their reverie and gleefully placed them back in their dark reality. Kilihan sighed at the vision...knew that it was near to impossible to achieve.

The three walked towards the only other door that led out of the gruesome kitchen. The golems were out there, they were coming closer. Kilihan turned towards Taurandhil he shook his head and sighed. They spoke to one another without a word passing between them. This was the only way they had to go, the only way for them to go.

Taurandhil started forward into the tunnel when he felt a strong hand grab his shoulder.

Kilihan whispered "I will go see what is ahead, rather then have all of us risk a unexpected run in." Kilihan increased the pressure on his shoulder as she saw the stubborn look cross his eyes. "Do not worry, they are slow and will not be able to catch me. But they will not stop until either themselves or us are dead, be prepared. You need to stay with Bakie in case someone comes."

And with that she darted off down the corridor. Her hood falling as she ran, her silver hair flashing in the dark like the beams of Solinari trying in vain to spill into a window of a perpetually dark room.

Kilihan ran swiftly, the only sound she made was the slight rustling of her robes swishing about her ankles. She ran on, the tunnel's darkness threating to take her sense of direction from her. When suddenly she heard the sound of the creatures she had at first only sensed. The scraping of stone against stone. The sound of golems walking down the tunnel.

*Scrap....Scrap......Scrap*

There steps were agonisingly slow and omnious.

*Scrap.....Scrap.....Scrap*

The sound grated on Kilihan's nerves. She had come to a bend in the tunnel. She crept up slowly and peered around. "Paladine preserve us" she spoke softly. She knew what was coming, but to see them further pushed her hope down. They were tall, six feet atleast. Dull gray in color one carried a torch within his stiff hand. The fire was touching his hand, trying to consume it's beholder, but the golem never flinched.

*Scrap...Scrap....Scrap*

There were only two, but each carried with it a rusty weapon. There stone eyes, so cold and unfeeling, had a eerie life to them. They never blinked, yet they slowly turned their gaze towards Kilihan.

"Son of a dim witted white!" she swore. She knew what had attracted their attention without even thinking. She quickly pulled her hood over her shining hair and ran back towards the others.Liana Nirel of Duryan

[Edited by icedragon on Monday, March 25, 2002 8:32 AM]

sylvan
03/25/2002 11:15 AM

Taurhendil skidded to a stop, putting a hand out to halt Bakie as she dashed up beside him. From here he could hear the soft scraping of the golems, but also a sound far more troubling- running feet. That can only be Kilihan.

Clutching her hood, Kilihan came fast around the corner, almost jumping out of her skin when the Elf reached out of the darkness to stop her. Her surprise turned to annoyance that he had come, then seriousness when it was obvious that the ranger had come ahead to back her up. "Two of them are ahead, they've already seen me," she whispered.

"Alright," Taurhendil repsonded, "I'll hit them first. If you have an appropriate spell, Kilihan, I'd suggest that you use it, but otherwise the two of you don't have proper weapons to do any real damage. You'd better try to get past them. We'll run until we meet up with Ryle's company, then start looking for an exit. If we're headed towards the slave warrens, so much the better."

Bunching his chain in one hand, Taurhendil pulled out a cavejewel in the other as he dashed around the corner. He was greeted by two pairs of eyes, their unholy light almost outsining the torch that one of the golems carried in its unfeeling hand. Those eyes, too, were as dead as the stone around them... Stone that never should have risen from the earth. Beneath his protective veil of magic, Taurhendil's eyes ceased their glitter. Blasphemy.

The Elf saw nothing of the passageway as he dove headfirst into a roll that took him narrowly past a fearsome slash. He landed just to the right of the constructs, reaching to blindly deflect another blow woth his chain-wrapped right hand as he crushed the mushroom in his left. Spinning, he opened his left palm, shouted a fearsome wash of arcane syllables, and blew the dust towards the golems. As soon as it left the ranger's hand, it became liquid, the green concoction washing around the golems' legs with a hiss. Within seconds, the bottom half of the constructs had melted away in the boiling acid.

Jumping over a swipe by one of the immobile but still-active golems, he turned to the others. "Kilihan, Bakie, let's go!""How do you do that??"

"Come closer and I'll show you."

[Edited by sylvan on Monday, March 25, 2002 8:19 PM]

Ontarys
03/26/2002 10:17 AM


He landed just to the right of the constructs, reaching to blindly deflect another blow woth his chain-wrapped right hand as he crushed the mushroom in his left. Spinning, he opened his left palm, shouted a fearsome wash of arcane syllables, and blew the dust towards the golems. As soon as it left the ranger's hand, it became liquid, the green concoction washing around the golems' legs with a hiss. Within seconds, the bottom half of the constructs had melted away in the boiling acid.

OOC: You (tauhrendil) have disabled 2 of the golems and a third can barely move. The other three remain unaffected by your spell. You have been slightly wounded by the slash the golem took at you (affects to be handled later, for know i will let you decide.

Kilihan is caught in the grasp of a golem.

And icedragon, noone will deal directly with the red dragon.......at least not now.

BIC:

Elsewhere....................

Shantu knew that something was brewing. His conversation with sha lead him to beleive his plans were unravling. He paid no heed as the screams of yet another victim echoed through the stone cold chambers. "I will continue to kill a slave every hour upon the hor til the rebels are found. FIND THEM!!!!!!! Orrrrr perish."

Shantu knew that the slaves were ready for an all out revolt, if he could cause dissinsion amoungst them it would be a lot easier to control them. Some would aide him in finding the rebels if it meant saving their own lives, others would try to aide the rebels.

And he always had his trump card to play. If everything else failed, none of them could deal with SHA..........


Back in the tunnels.........


As they were about to make there escape kilihan was caught in the powerful grasp of a golem. Its harsh embrace tightning ever harder and harder. The sound of patroling ogres grew nearer though still some distance away. A look of terror flashed across Kilihans eyes as the golem raised its rusty sword........
I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/26/2002 3:09 PM


You have been slightly wounded by the slash the golem took at you (affects to be handled later, for know i will let you decide.)


I was planning on there being some effect, but in his rage, Farothin wouldn't be dealing with it just then. Fear not... he's good, but he's not unstoppable :)Sylvan- "A warrior without a heart is not a true warrior."
Friend- "But a warrior without emotion knows no fear."
Slyvan- "A warrior that knows no fear is easily killed but the first challenge he underestimates"
Friend- "He dies a hero."
Slyvan- "He dies. True heroes never die."

Dogar_Setton
03/27/2002 12:41 PM

OOC: Farothin.......? I must've missed something. Anyway, why don't you guys try to lead the golems back into the South Tunnel where Ryle and his mercs are, that way you can get all the back-up you'll ever need. Oh, and I think I'll have Fess and the other freed slaves find me now.


IC: Ryle stood at the entrance to the tunnel, the blade of his sword waving slowly in front him, twitching like the tail of a hunting cougar. He could hear footsteps, a great mass of shuffling forms coming down the corridor towards him. He had no idea what Golems would sound like, but he assumed this was them. Just a few more steps, he thought, and they would round this corner.

" Closer..... closer", Ryle whispered to his small ambush party," closer......closer......NOW!!"

The warrior leapt from his hiding place, shrieking a blood-curdling war cry as he charged headlong down the narrow hallway. He drew back the majestic blade he carried, cocked his arm for the swing, sprinted round the corner and..........

Backpedalled frantically as he recognized the rheumy eyes and shaggy grey hair of Fess. The older warrior reared back in startlement, as did the hundred or so freed slaves that were presently following in a close-knit throng. The foremost men of Ryle's ambush party, seeing their leader stop so suddenly, endeavoured to match his actions; that is, until the men of the rear ranks slammed into them and took them down in a tangled pile of humanity.

Ryle ignored his prone followers, swept Fess up into a crushing embrace. " Fess!! Thank the gods you made it through!! You were beginning to worry me for a moment there, you old one-eared son of an ogre!!" The lanky fighter pounded his long-lost companion on the back, then led him back toward the Southern Tunnels. " So how went your task? How many were you able to release?"

The older warrior smiled, his eyes crinkling in delight. " This," he said, with a magnamonious wave at the slaves behind him, " is every civilian that was trapped in the lower levels with us. Also we picked up a retinue of children the Ogres had to work in the higher levels, picking through slag heaps for usable tools." The one-eared fighter spat on the floor in disgust. " Filthy beasts were about to beat the youngsters again, but we tore into the lot of 'em. Never left one out of the whole twelve survive, though I lost two of my boys in there." Fess looked about for a moment, the cheerful grin fading from his visage. " Ryle, there are things out there you wouldn't believe. Men made from stone, marching the hallways like statues come alive. They was about to follow us, but then they up and followed some girl with silver hair. We were all up for helpin' her, but I decided it was better to get these poor souls into somewhere they could rest."

Ryle stared at the older man, horrible realization creeping into his tired mind. A girl with silver hair, Fess had said. Kilihan was being chased by those damn mage-monsters!

" Dammit! Fess, did you see what way she went? Curse those misbegotten statues and whatever slime hearted bastard brought them up to torment us! I've got to find Kilihan, Fess! Her and Taur and Bakie were in on this with me from the very beginning , I can't leave them behind. I've got to go back to get them, I need...."

"Sir?" a childlike voice piped up, startling Ryle from his ranting. Ashamedly, the warrior realized he had ben screaming at Fess, shaking the old man by the shoulders as he shouted. Ryle gripped Fess's shoulder warmly in apology, then turned to find the speaker, a young girl with long blonde hair and the eyes of a frightened doe. She could'nt have been more than sixteen years old.

"The girl spoke again,"Sir, I can help you find your friends, if you'll let me. You see, my mother showed me a little of the Art before she died , and I know of a simple spell that can call across distances, it's not much but...." She broke off as Ryle crouched down beside her.

" Call for Kilihan,' Ryle told her eagerly " and tell her to retreat to the Tunnel, she'll know what one. I can not thank you enough, my dear."

Ryle stood and looked longingly out into the shadowed corridor. It was a long way between them, and the pathways fraught with peril. Still, he told himseld, if Kili and the rest can find their way back, at least we'll have a chance for escape.

He dearly hoped the girls spell worked, for all their sakes............



" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

sylvan
03/27/2002 8:13 PM

OOC: Yes, Taurhendil Farothin is my character's full name.

IC:

Taurhendil looked up as he ducked under another cut, freezing for a moment as he saw the golem's hand reach out and snag Kilihan's robes, the construct's weapon arcing upwards for what could not fail to be a killing blow. Reacting instinctively, he sprang, his head brushing the ceiling as he sailed through the air. The mindless automoton, concentrating on the woman, did not even see the ranger go flying past its head, nor hear the ringing snap that accompanied it.

Taurhendil recovered from the langing just in time to see the golem finish its mighty downstroke... on air. The rusty blade clattered to the ground nearby, snapped off at the hilt mid-swing between the golem's stony clutch and the elf's flying blow. The magical thing simply stood there, regarding the hilt of its weapon without any sort of comprehension, but Taurhendil knew that the pause couldn't last. As pain began to creep into his side where he had just rolled into the hard rock of the wall, he spat into his left and started to recall a spell.

By all the gods you know, Ryle, if there was ever a time I'd be more happy to see your reckless hide, I don't know it...Sylvan- "A warrior without a heart is not a true warrior."
Friend- "But a warrior without emotion knows no fear."
Slyvan- "A warrior that knows no fear is easily killed but the first challenge he underestimates"
Friend- "He dies a hero."
Slyvan- "He dies. True heroes never die."

TolkaninFaznin
03/28/2002 5:34 AM

Bakie watched as the Golem grabbed Killihan. She was at a total loss, she didn't know what to do, she didn't know any spells and, as Taurhendil had said, she didn't have any weapons. She watched as Taurhendil disarmed the Golem, and then saw three others behind him. With a yell, without really thinking, Bakie leapt forward and past Killihn and her Golem and Taurhendil and prompted the next three Golems to give chase to her instead."Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

sylvan
03/28/2002 5:54 AM

Taurhendil noted the figure of the elven woman dash past.
"Bakie, run! Meet up with Ryle's company, they shouldn't be too far off! Tell them to start looking for an exit, we'll be there soon!."

With that, Taurhendil stared to focus inward, the whispered words of a chant forming on his lips...Sylvan- "A warrior without a heart is not a true warrior."
Friend- "But a warrior without emotion knows no fear."
Slyvan- "A warrior that knows no fear is easily killed but the first challenge he underestimates"
Friend- "He dies a hero."
Slyvan- "He dies. True heroes never die."

icedragon
03/28/2002 6:49 AM

Kilihan could barely breath. The golem was slowly crushing the life out of her. She forced a rebuke of herself to the back of her mind she needed her energy for her magic. She closed her eyes and began to recall the words to a ancient spell. The golem had stopped it's crushing embrace and she faintly heard it's arm begin to lift. It planned on cutting her in half. The words formed on her lips, when suddenly she heard the clash of steel against steel....Taurandhil...she only hoped he would not be caught in her magic. the golem was no longer moving, she sensed another magical spell but had no time to contemplate what it was. An blast of icy air hit Taurandhil threatening to freeze his heart and just when he thought he could bare it now longer it stopped as quickly as it had began. Kilihan was on the floor gasping for breath and the golem was in a icy block. The fierce glow in it's eyes burned as brghtly as ever, but it was unable to move. Kilihan felt someone dash past her. She looked up only to see Bakie running toward three more golems. she slipped easily through and they began to follow her. Kilihan felt admiration and frustration towards the brave silvanesti run through her body. She began to get up to follow when she heard a soft voice in her mind. She focused all her energy towards the starngers voice

'Kilihan,' it said softly the name sounded unfamiliar to the speaker 'Ryle says to go to the Tunnel.' The voice stopped abruptly. Ryle was alive. It had been so long since they had seen him. This gave her renewed hope and she focused a message back towards the mind of the young girl.

'Tell ryle that three golems are coing their way, bakie is leading them away from us. We won't be far behind.' Now she could only hope the girl was strong enough in her abilities to recieve her message.

She turned towards Taurandhil. He was lying on the floor, his breathing harsh and irregular. She kneeled beside him. He was beginning to chant, the words weren't coming easy. she did not know what spell he wanted to cast but she knew he should not try yet. She lay a hand upon his shoulder and shook him to break his concentration.

"Save your strength" she said softly as she laid her hands on his head. She spoke a spell of healing and saw his face relax slighty, his breath become a bit more regular. But he was not healed, she could still see the pain in his eyes.

"We need to go, Bakie has led the golems away from us, but she is unarmed. Can you walk?' Kilihan said as she offered her hand to Taurandhil. She helped pull him up. "Catch your bearings and then come after us. Ryle has sent me a message, head for the tunnels. I will try and help Bakie."

And with that she took off racing down the hallway, before Taurandhil could say a word. The last sound her heard was Kilihan's voice calling for Bakie's name."Oh I bit you? I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

[Edited by icedragon on Thursday, March 28, 2002 6:55 AM]

Ontarys
03/28/2002 7:43 AM

OOC: Job well done all. Getting together would be a good idea, as factions will begin to form among the slaves, you are all being sought as you well know. try focusing on gaining more rebels to the cause as the pursuit for you will grow.

BIC: The three golems followed after bakie mindlessly, there only thought to destroy the being in front of them. After a short distance a low shout could be heard as Tabur emerged from the darkness with a small pouch clutched in his hand. Blowing the powdery dust into the air the golems themselves turned to dust, a pile of rocks and film all that remained to tell of there existance.

"Come, we go to safe place. meet others later."

OOC:I'll give you guys a chance to regroup, and for bakei to return to the group.or........follow Tabur.
I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
03/28/2002 7:10 PM

Taurhendil drew a breath or two of the freshly-chilled air and massaged his heel where he had snapped away the golem's blade. He let the chain fall from around his hand, and the sudden weight drew a slight gasp as he realized for the first time just how powerful the deflected bolw had been.

I've been living too long out of the starlight... I've gotten weak. I'll have to really push to get back in shape.

With that thought in mind, he took a last look at the frozen construct, turned, and jogged after Kilihan and Bakie.Sylvan- "A warrior without a heart is not a true warrior."
Friend- "But a warrior without emotion knows no fear."
Slyvan- "A warrior that knows no fear is easily killed but the first challenge he underestimates"
Friend- "He dies a hero."
Slyvan- "He dies. True heroes never die."

TolkaninFaznin
03/29/2002 7:20 AM

Bakie looked at Tabur, then the pile of Golem Dust, but as she started to ask why Tabur urged her to follow to a safe place. Bakie nodded and followed the gully dwarf."Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

icedragon
03/29/2002 10:08 AM

OOC: Hey sylvan ;) do you want us to meet up again. I'm not sure if I'd be able to follow Bakie if Tobur has taken her some secret way. Know what I mean? "Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

[Edited by icedragon on Friday, March 29, 2002 10:38 AM]

sylvan
03/29/2002 9:03 PM

OOC: Yeah, I've caught up.

IC:

Taurhendil sprang up the corridor, stopping short when he saw the gully dwarf and the remains of the golems he had destroyed. The ranger turned a suspicious eye on the dwarf.

"Impressive, Tabur. I wasn't aware that you dwarves had that kind of knack for spellcraft. I don't think I'll be going with you, however... we still have to meet up with Ryle's company. We should be able to make it before any other persuers show up. If you can, have someone meet us near the South Tunnel."

The elf turned, went a few steps, then looked back to Kilihan and Bakie. Kilihan noticed something in the ranger's eye that implored her to follow him. "Are you coming?"Sylvan- "A warrior without a heart is not a true warrior."
Friend- "But a warrior without emotion knows no fear."
Slyvan- "A warrior that knows no fear is easily killed but the first challenge he underestimates"
Friend- "He dies a hero."
Slyvan- "He dies. True heroes never die."

Dogar_Setton
03/30/2002 8:47 AM

OOC: Sorry for not posting in a little while, but I was gone for two days on a near-disastrous hunting trip on the barrens 5 or 6 miles inland from my town. I've just got back, though and I dont think I'll be leaving again for a while....

IC: The young girl looked up at Ryle, her pale blue eyes watering as she struggled to hold up the spell. " They're coming this way sir. The one called Kilihan and another. I sensed an evil travelling before them, but that's gone now. I ....." The girl put a hand to the temple, wincing, " I can keep up the spell for you if you like....."

Ryle waved a hand dismissively. " No child, you've done more than enough, I thank you. Go back to your family and rest, we may need to move from here before long and you'll need to have a good sleep."

The girl stood there looking at Ryle, her eyes the shade of someone who has vowed never to cry again. " My family is dead, sir." She said impassively, then turned and limped back into the milling crowd of slaves along the far wall.

The warrior looked sadly at the retreating form of the girl for a moment, swearing softly. "Damn.." he muttered, " are they all like this? These people have given up on life, they have consigned themselves to their fates. Most of them haven't got the energy to walk, much less run from a battalion of Ogres.How are we going to convince them to fight for their freedom? "

" You'll find a way, boy. Ye've always been too damn reckless for yer own good, but yer hearts always been in the right place."

Ryle started at the unexpected voice, then looked down the see Ronogh's bearded face peering back up at him. From the look on the older dwarfs face, Ryle knew that he'd been talking to himself. He chuckled sadly. " Thanks for your faith in me, old friend, but I really don't see how we're going to beat these odds, even if Taur and the others find us, that's only going to be another fighter and a few mages to add to our defenses. The elf'll do well, and Kilihan might make a good accounting for herself with her magic, but what of the others? The girl," Ryle jerked a thumb in the direction of the refugees, " tells me that Bakie has turned off somewhere, and I'll be damned if I have any idea where Taur's other friend, this Dylar, has gotten himself to. I just don't know what to do." The wiry swordsman ran a hand through his hair, sighing.

" Do the right thing, Ryle." The Dwarf squinted up at him, his tanned face a map of scars and wrinkles. " We've trusted your judgement this far, me and the boys'll trust you a little longer. Just do what you think is best ."

Ryle looked down at Ronogh, studying the respect etched in the stout warriors eyes.He looked across to the faithful eyes of his warriors, the hopeful eyes of the refugees, the trusting eyes of the children. Lastly, he looked at his wave hilted sword, and saw in it's bronze sheen the slanted eyes of Taur and Bakie, the deep and enigmatic eyes of Kilihan. Do what you think is best, Ronogh had told him. Well he would, and damn anyone who even dared to stop him now.

The warrior laid a strong, scarred hand on Ronogh's sturdy shoulder. " You're in charge for now, old friend. There's something I have to do."

The dwarven fighter went to argue with his friend, then stopped as he saw the look in the man's dark brown, almost black eyes. These were the eyes of a man who would brook no argument, who had chosen a course of action. The dwarf sighed, saying nothing as the lanky mercenary levelled the sword in a fighting stance before him, as he strode like a conquering monarch out into the shadowed hallways. The dwarf had know Ryle for years, and he knew with a absolute certainty that the dark-haired swordsman was out to rescue these newfound friends of his.

Ronogh raised a fist in salute to the warriors retreating form, then sighed and begin organizing the mercenaries into defenses once again. The older warriors just looked toward where their leader had disappeared and nodded knowingly.

They all knew that Ryle Brennick never left his friends behind................

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

icedragon
03/31/2002 1:04 PM

(( Missed you Dogar! But you worked your way right back into the story perfectly ;) Wait is Bakie going to go with the Tobur alone, and me and tuarandhil going off in another direction? I know I will be continuing down the tunnel to meet up with Ryle since I sent him that telepathic message, because that's just the stubborn nature of my character ;P Just tell me what you think and I can always change my post. ))


Kilihan watched as Bakie disappeared with the gully dwarf down a tunnel. Something wasn't right. Three golems were now dead at the hands of a gully dwarf. While she knew that the gully dwarf's deserved more credit then they were normally given, she had never known them to be capable of such magic.

She saw the disbelief come into Taurandhil's eyes as he came up to them in the hall. They both watched as Bakie continued on with the gully dwarf. Kilihan wanted to stop her, she didn't want to let Bakie go with Tobur. Yet....he had led them to safety before.

She turned to Taurandhil, "I also have never know a gully dwarf to be so powerful. We need to get to Ryle right away, but we need to be on guard to make sure she does show up."

Both paused to collect their thoughts. Kilihan's strayed to another of her new found friends.....Ryle....It had been so long since she had seen him. He had been there with her from the beginning, they both had endured terrible tortures of the mind and body. She had brought him back from the brink of death....yet... she felt guilty about it. She saw the saddness in his eyes after she had woken up. Had he wanted to die? 'No' she thought quickly, 'he has not fulfilled his destiny yet. We need him still, I only hope he does not hate me for it.' She hoped he was okay, that he had found plenty of reinforcements. Kilihan let a brief smile cross her lips, 'Yes' she thought, 'I'm sure he has.' He certaintly had the courage and the stubornness for it.

"Come Taurandhil, we must go quickly. We shouldnt' have too much longer to go." She drew the hood of her robe tighter over her hair, yet still a glint of silver could be seen. And began to walk towards their freedom or the death, whichever came first. She wasn't really certain.
"Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~



[Edited by icedragon on Sunday, March 31, 2002 1:13 PM]

sylvan
03/31/2002 5:47 PM


"Come Taurandhil, we must go quickly. We shouldnt' have too much longer to go."


Taurhendil nodded, thankful that Kilihan was not going with the dwarf. He appreciated the woman's sense of reason as well as her spirited attitude. As they moved towards Ryle's position, he admired her stern visage out of the corner of his eye, marking the set, determined expression stamped on her features. And the spell she had used on the golem... that was high arcana, not some conjurer's prestididgitation. The elf smiled to himself quietly in the gloom.... What other secrets are you concealing, galadimoriel?Sylvan- "A warrior without a heart is not a true warrior."
Friend- "But a warrior without emotion knows no fear."
Slyvan- "A warrior that knows no fear is easily killed but the first challenge he underestimates"
Friend- "He dies a hero."
Slyvan- "He dies. True heroes never die."

TolkaninFaznin
03/31/2002 6:24 PM

((ooc; Bakie was given a choice, and she decided to follow Tabur, thinking the others would too. I'm jsut trying to make things interesting, not throw a monkey wrench in the whole plot, and trying to stay true to character; she just saw this GD kill 3 Golems, so she's apt to put a lot of trust in him . . . . perhaps too much trust! Let me know if I need to change anything, though! ;-) ))"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

icedragon
04/01/2002 5:20 AM

(( sounds good to me that she'd follow Tobur. Makes a perfect twist in the story. I just wasn't sure what you wanted to do. I didn't want to write about what other characters were doing without asking. :) ))"Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

Ontarys
04/01/2002 6:55 AM

OOC: There will definatley be some twist to the story thanks to bakie following Tabur. What, i havnt figured out yet but i have an idea >:).
An explaination for how a gully dwarf (Any) gullydwarf could use magic effectivly is in order, so that will be explained soon lol.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

Dogar_Setton
04/01/2002 7:05 AM

Ryle dashed around the corner, the flickering torchlight blazing like the morning sun on his drawn blade. The warrior's heart pounded in his chest, his breath rasped in and out of his throat with a strange and uncomfortabe rapidity as his feet pounded a steady pace on the rocky floor. Gods, Ryle thought to himself, what have these few months beneath the ground done to me? A half-year ago I could have made this run with ease, and now I'm feeling tired after only about a half-mile.

Shaking off his revery, Ryle quickened his pace, sprinting past torches and doorways until they became one long smear of light at the edge of his conciousness. He saw two slim figures at the end of the hallway, and his heart swelled with elation. Taur and Kili! Without breaking stride, Ryle swept into their midst, catching up Kilihan and laughing out loud as he spun her in an impromptu waltz step.

" Thank the fates I've finally found you people, I was beginning to think the Ogres had you!" Ryle spun Kilihan one more time,then grinning, wrapped his arms around her in a crushing bear hug. " Kili, we can use you and your magic back at the tunnel, there's a few of my men who think we'll need more than swords and axes to drive off golems."

Ryle turned to face Taurendhil, eyes hardening, then shook his head and grinned. " By rights I owe you a smack, Taur. But you've given me this fine blade," Ryle paused to hold the elegant Ergothian weapon up to the light, then took the elf's hand, " and so I think a handshake should suffice for now. Oh, and by the way, where are these oh-so-fearsome golems I've been hearing about." Ryle looked about alertly, though the grin was still present on his features.

"You're standing in them." Ryle spun to see the slight smile on Taur's face, then looked to the ground where the elf pointed. A fine layer of dust and grime coated the cavern floor, shifted under the warriors feet as he spoke. Ryle looked up to his companions appreciatively, switching his gaze from one to the other until Kilihan shook her head.

" Not our doing, Ryle. The last we saw, some gully dwarf decimated these mage-slaves and took off with bakie. We haven't seen either of them since." The warrior searched the womans face for some sign of mockery, found none. A Gully Dwarf using magic this powerful?! Ryle shrugged. It didn't seem possible, but, then again, neither did Freedom five days ago.

Ryle stared down the corridor Kilihan had gestured towards, then looked both of his friends in the eyes, speaking frankly. " Well, I've got a sizable retinue of warriors and freed slaves in the South Tunnel, we've got an ogre Shaman and his troops looking for us, and we've got a gully dwarf mage leading Bakie to gods-know-where.....," Ryle shrugged his shoulders and smiled at his companions.

" Any ideas where to go from here?"

" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

sylvan
04/01/2002 8:24 AM


" Any ideas where to go from here?"


"Out."

Taurhendil's grim visage was graced with a rare smile and his eyes sparkled on seeing his mercenary friend.

"Glad to see you weren't cought, I was beginning to worry about you. We're both a little banged up, but we ought to be able to run back with you. And don't act like you didn't deserve that hit, Ryle... besides, it appears to have done its job." The elf laid a hand on his friend's shoulder. "For now, though, let's get our people out of here."Sylvan- "A warrior without a heart is not a true warrior."
Friend- "But a warrior without emotion knows no fear."
Slyvan- "A warrior that knows no fear is easily killed but the first challenge he underestimates"
Friend- "He dies a hero."
Slyvan- "He dies. True heroes never die."

Ontarys
04/01/2002 8:47 AM


and we've got a gully dwarf mage leading Bakie to gods-know-where.....," Ryle shrugged his shoulders and smiled at his companions.

OOC: gully dwarf mage LOL LOL LOL! Tabur is not a mage. Will be explained in the next 2 posts. Soon as I decide on a twist. !!!!!!!!!!! just thought of one >:) >:) >:) .

Tabur lead bakie through another small passage that lead deeper and deeper into what seemed like nowhere. The damp and mossy conditions of the tunnels were now gone, replaced by smooth though obviously old stonework. Torches along the walls now lit the passage way as the quickly made their way to their destination.

Speaking in low tones Tabur turned to bakie and asked "You not worry, we almost there. My people here in waiting. We escape with other slaves."
A strange look in his eyes caused bakie to start, a thin glazed look in his visage gave her the impression he was not being himself. Still they continued on, finally coming to a large hall that didnt seem like it should be so far underground AND undiscovered.

To her suprise the hall was filled with many gully dwarves followed by a not so suprising foul odor. Somthing was amiss and she could now clearly tell that maybe following tabur wasnt such a good idea. All the gully dwarves seemed to be in a hypnotic state.

A small hand with surprising strength for a gully dwarf grabbed Bakies arm. Looking down to see Tabur holding her tightly she shooved him away as he was much smaller than her. Tabur let out a thin smile as he took another step toward her. A misty layer of smoke began swirling around him and his shape began to shift and shimmer. The surrounding gully dwarves began to moan and swoon in terror and awe as before them stood Sha, the ogre shaman.

"There is no place to run, you cannot escape me. The fool gully dwarf tabur was unfortunate enough to come across some of the patroling guards. upon his capture he told me al I needed to know in order to find you rebels, as his services were no longer needed, he is no more just as you and your friends will soon be no more. How else do you think the golems were able to pusue you?"

A group of ogres entered the hall brushing aside the gully dwarves in the way. "Sir we have been informed that there is a growing group of resistance in the slave mines. Shantu has ordered a slave killed every hour until the rebels are found. He asks for your assistance in finding the rebels before the dragon gets wind of an uprising"

Sha only nodded as he pointed to bakie "She will have the rebels come to us........."

With a wave of his hand Bakie was held in place by some unseen barrier.
"Inform Shantu I have one of the rebels, I will send one of these pitiful gully dwarves to find them and inorm them of their friends capture. They will fall right into our hands."

OOC: Tolk, Hope i didnt mess with your char too much (sorry if i did). if played right this will be a very interesting twist as well as an added sense of drama.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

dylar
04/01/2002 11:03 AM

OOC: I'm back. Can I get a tie-in to get back into the going and a quick OOC catch-up post please?"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

icedragon
04/01/2002 4:35 PM

Kilihan heard footfalls coming down the hall. She pulled herself into the shadows, Taurandhil already following suit. Her keen eyes tried to see through the darkness, her mind quieted as she prepared a spell......when suddenly her eyes widened and her breath caught in her throat....Ryle... he was alive.

She ran down the corridor to greet her old friend. He caught her in his arms and spun her around. Then gave her a great crushing hug, which she gladly returned in kind. Kilihan then watched the exchange between Taurandhil and Ryle with amusement in her eyes. They didn't know whether to smack one another or shake hands. Luckily the latter won out. The three spoke of what had transpired on their journey. The golems, the magic of the gully dwarf, Bakie, Ryle's new retinue of freed slaves.

"We will need to go back for Bakie. I have a terrible foreboding about this, which I cannot explain. But then again she may be safe and have had found an escape route." Kilihan sighed "I just cannot tell which it will be."

"We will go look for her as soon as we can." Taurandhil said softly. They then listened as Ryle told them of his new army and what it was comprised of.

Ryle looked up to take in both Kilihan and Taurandhil as he spoke, a grin on his face "Any ideas where to go from here?"

Kilihan could not help but smile back, she saw the thrill of possible freedom light his eyes, just as it did Taurandhil's. Yes, she could see it cross his face even though he usually put on such a serious mask. She would do all she could to see that they got it.

She winked at Ryle as she laughed. The sound bringing a little cheer to the room. She took Ryle this time and spun him around, to copy his earlier move. She couldn't help it, they were far from free but this brief happiness was as welcome as a small breeze on a hot summer's day.

She looked towards both men, her gaze seeming to command attention, yet encourage them at the same time. "Shall we return to the new found army then."

All three started back down the hall, determination crossing their weary faces."Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

[Edited by icedragon on Monday, April 1, 2002 4:40 PM]

TolkaninFaznin
04/01/2002 5:35 PM

((ooc; I'm the bait!!!! I'm the bait!!!! Yaaaaay!!!!! I mean, uh . . . help!! help me!!! this is great!!!!!!!))

Bakie struggled against the unseen force. "They're smarter than you anticipate, Sha, you overgrown toad!""Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

sylvan
04/01/2002 7:23 PM

Taurhendil had enjoyed the brief encounter. After so long confined, freedom seemed to be finally within his grasp. The light at the end of this dark tunnel, first eminating from Kilihan's presence, was now beginning to illuminate true hope.

The shadow of reality blocked it immidiately.

You're not out of this yet, Farothin... not by a bowshot. You may have backup, but from what Ryle says, they won't be able to travel too far too fast, or with any degree of stealth. Besides, they're poorly armed. Your escape route is questionable at best...

...and then there's the gully dwarf. Something simply isn't right there. Only the most potent of spells could have destroyed three golems, and that was Tabur, not the High Clerist. He must have some sort of connection with Sha to have that kind of sway over the elementals' lifeforce. Bakie's probably in serious danger. The ranger glanced over at Kilihan, then looked away quickly. That's not important right now. Bakie and the other slaves will have to wait for us to get more organized.

If any of us get out of here, it will be nothing short of a miracle.

The hunter's mask was firmly back in place on the elf's features as he ran along.Sylvan- "A warrior without a heart is not a true warrior."
Friend- "But a warrior without emotion knows no fear."
Slyvan- "A warrior that knows no fear is easily killed but the first challenge he underestimates"
Friend- "He dies a hero."
Slyvan- "He dies. True heroes never die."

Ontarys
04/02/2002 6:10 AM


Bakie struggled against the unseen force. "They're smarter than you anticipate, Sha, you overgrown toad!"


Sha snickerd at the feisty Bakie. Toad? Is that what you would equate me with? I have lived centuries, fool. I will show you a toad.

A single toad appeared at the foot of bakie, with not much room to move in the barrier she could only look with amusemnet at the single slimy toad that hopped and croaked at her feet.

Sha only smiled as he walked away. The barrier had been released but bakie was now in a small cell with a toad hopping and croaking at full boar.
And suddenly, another toad appeared............. >:)

Elsewhere.........

Shantu sat languidly upon his 'throne' as he watched the slaves toil another hard day away. He could not help but notice less numbers as usual."My slave informants have told me of the inevitable uprising, I will be prepared."

A small gully dwarf walked slowly into his chambers trying not to make too much noise, "M m master me come as you ask." With a look of disgust Shantu beckoned him closer. "Seek out the rebels, find there leaders and let them know we have there friend. The lives of your own people depend on this."

"Y yes master me fudon do as you say."

Fudon began his search in earnest, he didnt know how............but he was going to double cross that ogre...I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

TolkaninFaznin
04/02/2002 6:57 AM

Great, Bakie, just great! She thought as she backed away from the toads. She was trying to be brave, but she didn't like toads, didn't like frogs, snakes, goblins, spiders,ogres, centipedes, milipedes, ants, amphibians . . . in fact, she was feeling quite squeamish as she backed against the far wall.

((ooc; heh heh, one thing that can make a character really interesting is to give them a trait completely opposite of you.))"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

Ontarys
04/02/2002 8:44 AM


Great, Bakie, just great! She thought as she backed away from the toads. She was trying to be brave, but she didn't like toads, didn't like frogs, snakes, goblins, spiders,ogres, centipedes, milipedes, ants, amphibians . . . in fact, she was feeling quite squeamish as she backed against the far wall.

((ooc; heh heh, one thing that can make a character really interesting is to give them a trait completely opposite of you.))

OOC: I'll give you some freedom to move around in a sec....but im gonna mess with bakie until the others find the gully dwarf >:) i mean you are captured by an evil shaman >:)


And suddenly, another toad appeared..

And another til now there were 10 toads bouncing around all over the cracked floor of bakies small cell, it was apparent that a toad would appear after some pre determined time.............>:)

OOC:Being bad is sooooo much fun lol.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

Dogar_Setton
04/02/2002 5:45 PM

"STAND TO!!" Ryles voice boomed out across the wide, dank cavern with parade-ground clarity. He grinned as his fellow mercenaries fell quickly into four well-ordered divisions, each protecting a flank of the group of refugees. " Relax, men, you're not being invaded yet. I'm glad to see that your stay in this hole hasn't dulled the martial instincts in your natures, however; you may need those instincts before long." He gestured to Kilihan and Taur as the strode through the door, followed by two of Ryles sentries. " These are Taurendhil Farothin," he winked at the elf, who raised his eyebrows slightly when the human finally managed to pronounce his full name, "and Kilihan. They are to be treated with as much respect as you would show me , as they are the prime instigators of this escape attempt. "

Ryle pivoted slightly, gesturing to his dwarven friend. "Ronogh, send the men back to their posts and set a rotating watch for each entrance. Laereth," he turned, looking toward the blonde Northerner, " get your slingmen back up onto the wall, and keep them at the ready. I've a feeling the Ogres, will come looking for their lost slaves soon, and it won't be long before they decide to search this tunnel."

The mercenary strode swiftly to the center of the room, motioning for Taur and Kilihan to follow him. He led them to a group of slave women, bustling around a few simmering pots. " Fess and his group managed to raid one of the Ogres food caches, a small one." he explained, nodding toward the food. "As a result we've got a little food, but it won't last for too long. There's enough at the moment, however, so eat up." Ryle watched with delight as Taur and Kili spooned up platefuls of steamy food, then hustled them onto a spread blanket on the floor, fussing over them like a mother hen. He did his best to make them comfortable, and stopped only when Taurendhil, eyes dancing merrily, asked him if he was going to wipe their faces too.

Ryle chuckled self-deprecatingly, then hunkered down onto the blanket across from Taur, suddenly serious. " The way I see it," he began, " we can either go looking for bakie or sit here and wait for her and her gully dwarf friend to show up. My boys have got this tunnel secured against anything short of a dragon, and the sentries will see her before long and bring her in."

Taurendhil frowned, tapping his spoon against the floor. " Shouldn't we go after her? She may be lost?"

" Not likely," Kilihan returned, digging into a bowl of potatoes with almost inhuman zeal, " she is with a gully dwarf after all. Those diminuitive rogues probably know these tunnels like the backs of their dirty hands." She wiped her mouth on her sleeve, nodding towards Ryle. " I'd say Ryle's right , if we stay here she's bound to find us."

So saying, the silver-haired woman stretched languidly and curled up on the ragged blanket. With a soft yawn and a reassuring pat to Taurendhils hand she was soon fast asleep. Ryle trotted off to oversee the placement of his troops, and Taurendhil strode slowly over to the weapons chest, intent on finding a decent weapon to replace his old, albeit useful, chisel. So be it, they would wait ....


and wait........


and wait......


After an inestimable period of time Ryle jogged over to his friends, saw in their eyes the same growing sense of horrible understanding that had begun to grip him. The trio looked from one to the other nervously for a moment, until the warrior voiced the words they were all thinking.

" Bakies not coming............"



" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

icedragon
04/03/2002 4:44 AM

Kilihan had not meant to let sleep sneak up on her. For, once dragons fell asleep they are hard to wake up. But it had been so long since she had been able to sit without fear of torture. Ryle had to shake her for a few minutes before she opened her blue eyes, and strangely enough, while still half sleep she began to mutter.

"Why must you disturb me so Sevyan......... We shall fly latter.....bring me ....a goat..." she grinned in her sleep as she began to roll over, "then I shall go."

Suddenly her reality must have hit, because she drew herself up with the speed of a striking snake. She saw the bewildered look in both their eyes.

"Bakie?" she questioned not bothering to ask why they stared at her so strangely. Ryle shook his head as if waking from a day dream. He would have time later to figure this women out....if they ever made it.Taurandhil looked worried.

"Bakie's not coming..." he said almost sighing.

Kilihan bit her lip in frustration. "Then we must go after her. Your right, your army can hold this tunnel, they are a commendable force." She smiled towards the civilians, her smile giving them new found courage. Her eyes giving them renewed hope.

"So," she began "whose coming with me?""Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

[Edited by icedragon on Wednesday, April 3, 2002 5:34 AM]

sylvan
04/03/2002 8:37 PM

Sparks illuminated Taurhendil's sharp features as he ground an edge back into a disused short sword that Ryle had conjured up from somewhere. From the set of his shoulders and his quick, harsh movements, it was clear that he was not happy.

Gods curse me, why couldn't I wake her? I could have shaken a dragon awake, wouldn't have hesitated to roust a giant, but her... Gods curse me, we should already be gone.

He jumped to his feet, startled by Kilihan's sudden flurry of movement before he realized that she had just snapped awake. For some strange reason he felt immidiately sorry, as if his thoughts were responsible for disturbing her, then immidiately repremanded himself for the idea.

At that moment, another voice entered his mind, distant, clear, speaking his own tounge: "Whestarant ranhae." It blew the excess tention out of the tired elf like the wind of which it spoke. Many thanks, he thought, including a silent prayer before he let go of the vision.

Reality came back into focus and he found that he had been following everything the had been said. Standing, he tested the edge on his sword carefully.

"I agree with you on one point, Kilihan, we'll have to go back to get Bakie. It's obvious that Tabur was playing us false. What I can't agree with is the defensability of this position. As good as your mercenaries are, Ryle, they'll have dificulty against the golems or Sha or gods-know what else might show up while we're gone. Besides, Tabur knows that this was where we were headed... It won't stay safe for too much longer. Send the civilians out, under guard and quietly. It won't be safe, but sitting here is even less safe."Weep, o ye people of the world,
weep for the hated and for the sorrow.
Weep for the misunderstood and misunderstanding.
Weep, then dry your eyes and carry forwards the dream.
Perhaps peace will reign once more.

icedragon
04/04/2002 4:24 AM

ooc: How are we going to get Dylar back in. Do you think we should run into him in the halls. Or maybe he runs into the gully dwarf looking for us? "Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

dylar
04/04/2002 7:09 AM

OOC: I'll post at lunch. I've got a plan that might work since you guys are already in a battle and battles make a lot of niose. Plus this will give me an opotunity to show off some of his abillities."Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Dogar_Setton
04/04/2002 7:52 AM

OOC: I'm not really sure how we're going to get Dylar back into this. Maybe we could run into him in the hallway, or maybe he could already be a captive of Sha......? At any rate, his re-entry into the thread will have to be worked out between him and Ontarys.......

Ryle paced back and forth in front of his friends, rubbing his jaw-line thoughtfully. "We're in a good position at the moment, elf, but you're right when you say that we won't be able to hold it against magic. Ogres, maybe, but not magic." The warrior stopped pacing and looked across the masses of armed slaves, then turned to Taurendhil. " They might make it out, with a score of mercenaries defending their flank, and someone who know's the way in the lead, but who knows the way? I don't, and most of these people don't. We were brought here after this old tunnel was abandoned, and spent most of our days hauling ore in the West or North tunnels....

" I can't let them wander blindly into the void, Taur, you know that. Without a guide who's seen the way to the surface it's hopeless..." Ryle trailed off, watching Taur's smile grow. " And what in damnation are you smiling at?"

" I know the way out Ryle, I can draw them a map if you wish." Taurendhil nodded his head toward the junk-pile, where parchment and some charcoal could be seen. " It won't be as precise as some might like it, of course, and I may draw a few wrong turns, but I'm confident that I remember the general direction."

Ryle shook his head, chuckling. " A charcoal map. Well it's the best we'll have for them, so I guess it'll be alright." Ryle turned, then noted the battered old short-sword girded to Taurendhil's side. " Taur, if you want a better sword, you know you can always have this one back." He held up magnificent blade the elf had given him. "After all, you found it, and this weapon is fit for a king....."

Taur looked up briefly from the parchment he was rapidly scribbling over, shaking his head. "You keep it Ryle, it looks too blasted heavy to use the right way. Besides, I'm not a fan of two-handers..." mumbling to himself, the elf waved Ryle off and went back to his makeshift cartography.

Neither am I, Ryle thought to himself, yet this one is different somehow. The warrior lifted the blade in one hand whipping it through a few maneuvers. It's surprisingly light, he thought, and the way the gems glow in that wave-crested crosspiece.... Could it be Magical? Struck by the thought, the warrior peered more closely at his weapon. Yes, now that he looked, he could make out a small patterned scratching on the blade. He couldn't read it though, if it was a language, it was either too ancient to know or beyond his ken. Shrugging, the warrior strolled on to check on his men. Maybe he'd ask Kili or Taur later, but for now........

They had to prepare for their freedom.......

OOC2: Please, don't anybody describe what the sword does, or what it is. I'll tell Ryle the swords name through someone else's char (if you don't mind), and Ryle will come to know the magical properties a little ways into the story. Thanks
" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

sylvan
04/04/2002 8:23 AM

Bravado was not one of Taurhendil's best-practiced ruses, but he knew it was the only way he could get the civilians away from the area. It wasn't a lie that he could draw them a map, but to say that the map would really be accurate was a stretch. The elf had committed the feeling of the tunnels to memory when he had eben improsoned for the fist time, but to be able to show someone else out via a drawing.... Despereate, but entirely necessary.

He looked up as Ryle offered him the taskmaster's sword, but he held up a hand. "No, Ryle, you keep it, it's a little to heavy for me to wield effectively. Besides, I'm not partial to two-handers, and these tunnels are too close for a really good swing. This blade should be more than adequite," He indicated the bastard short sword lying shealthless nearby, then went back to focusing on his sensations of memory from years ago...

Winding stair.... third tunnel on the right... steep decline...

His hand scrawled without his even knowing.Weep, o ye people of the world,
weep for the hated and for the sorrow.
Weep for the misunderstood and misunderstanding.
Weep, then dry your eyes and carry forwards the dream.
Perhaps peace will reign once more.

Mr_GoKu
04/04/2002 10:49 AM

im the mage with 8 hp......

Mr_GoKu
04/04/2002 10:55 AM

OOC:it is sad i know.........and the "cursed Crossbow" now matter what it doesn't hit any thing!!!!

Dogar_Setton
04/04/2002 5:42 PM

OOC: Mr_goku, I'd appreciate it if you didn't join our thread right now, we're pretty far along and the emergence of a new player-character at this point would be wholly unwelcome and confusing.

Plus, I didn't understand what the hell you were trying to say anyway
" Because by Fate, even the Gods are cast down/ Weep ye all with me"
- Raistlin Majere upon opening the Portal to the Abyss

dylar
04/05/2002 11:05 AM

OOC: Don't worry about it. I know the shmuck. He's pissed because I'm his DM and he can't hit crap with his light crossbow. I'll take care of the issue. >.

Dylar stood inside his cell with the sound of battle ringing in his ears.

He spread a hand of razor-sharp claws from his right hand and proceded to remove the bolt from the cell door. Ever so quietly, dylar lowers the door to the floor of his cell and crept out.

Almout instantly the sound of Ogreish marching and grunting flows up from behind him. As quick thinking dictate, he leaps to the ceiling and waits.

"Fasta ya lugs! E' Gotta riot up hea'"

Seizing the oportunity, Dylar plunges down onto the orges knocking them to the ground where he instantly finishes them with a quick magic missle spell.

He quickly steals their armor and weaponry and charges of to the sound of battle to help out his comrades and exact his revenge.

OOC: Don't you just love sub-plots?!
OOC2: This work for you guys?"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Ontarys
04/05/2002 4:30 PM


Seizing the oportunity, Dylar plunges down onto the orges knocking them to the ground where he instantly finishes them with a quick magic missle spell.

He quickly steals their armor and weaponry and charges of to the sound of battle to help out his comrades and exact his revenge.

OOC: magic missle huh?!...keep casting spells like that and you will face SHA.....as it is, glad you got yourself back into the thread, as you can see it has gotten good and the guys are writing great. Heed Slyvans words, as he seems to be ahead of the game sometimes, you guys would have assuredly ran into a trap if you woulda rushed into things.

Bakie you are now out of your cell and remain in the hall with the hypnotised gully dwarves.

Sha is in consort with Shantu .....................things will get tight in a sec so guys make your moves >:) mu wa ha ha ha ha ha.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
04/06/2002 9:47 PM

Taurhendil made a final mark, then looked at the paper with a critical eye.

"That's the best I can do for you, Ryle. It... it's not perfect, but I still think it's the best option. Give the orders to your men, and get these people out of here. It's time for us to go find Bakie."

What Ryle didn't hear was Taurhendil's whispered prayer as he grabbed the short sword and went to stand near the wall, already preparing mentally for another forray into the depths.Weep, o ye people of the world,
weep for the hated and for the sorrow.
Weep for the misunderstood and misunderstanding.
Weep, then dry your eyes and carry forwards the dream.
Perhaps peace will reign once more.

Dogar_Setton
04/07/2002 10:38 AM

Ryle took the grimy parchment from the elf wordlessly, noting the look in Taurendhils eyes. He's worried, the warrior thought to himself, though he doesn't want anyone to know it. Ryle stared after his friend as he turned and strode toward the wall, the frowned critically at the hastily scribbled map in his hand. " A few mistakes, and a few more blind passages where Taur must not remember the way." Ryle whispered to himself as he looked over the small map, studying the scribbled and re-directed passages and the helpful notes written in Taurendhil's spidery hand. " Still," he said stretching, " it's all we got, and it's a damn sight better than anything I could give them."

The mercenary loped over to a gathered knot of mercenaries, looking for Ronogh. " Friend," he spoke softly, laying a hand on the dwarf's shoulder. "I need a favour from you." Ryle pressed the map into Ronogh's calloused hands and explained their situation, proclaiming the elder dwarf to be the new leader of the mercenaries. " You're in charge old friend, and I'm trusting you to get these young pups and civilians out of this hole. You'd know how to navigate these tunnels better than anyone, you old rock-eater, and you'll have the elf's map to help you." Ryle gripped the dwarf's hand tightly. " I'm counting on you, Ronogh."

The dwarf nodded once, wiping away an errant streak of moisture from his old grey eyes. Recovering the dwarf dealt Ryle a comradely bear-hug that nearly broke the taller warrior's ribs. " Don't you do anything too stupid, boy. That elf better have his good sense about him, cause the Forge-Father knowsm that I'm nopt going to be there to keep your damn fool head out of a noose anymore." The Dwarf spun on his heel, then stalked off to gather his lieutenants.

Ryle hung his head, swallowing a mysterious lump that had suddenly crept into his rapidly drying throat. Take care of yourself Ronogh, the warrior told his friend silently, I've lost too many friends over the years, I don't want to lose you, too. Turning, his head as Ronogh began shouting for the mercs and workers to form ranks, Ryles dark brown eyes met and locked with Taurendhil's light grey ones. They nodded once, then turned to leave.

It was time for another rescue.........

" If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back to you.........Chase it Down!!!
P.O.1 Nestor

dylar
04/08/2002 10:49 AM

OOC: Well, that's just great! er.... that was the plan anyway. Dylar has a vendetta against Shantu anyway. (His former party, the first fight, and so on.)"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

icedragon
04/09/2002 5:20 AM

Kilihan walked over to the weapons pile as Ryle and Taurandhil talked. There was a suprisingly wide assortment of weapons to chose from. She looked at a few swords. 'No' she thought 'I don't know how to use these, probably cause myself more harm then my enemies.' She continued to search through the pile, eventually finding two small daggers. One shaped, ironically enough, to resemble a dragon's talon. The other a rather plain dagger with a brown handle. Simple yet effective. A smirk crossed her face, 'Now these I can use as is they were my own.' Her eyes suddenly went vacant at the thought. Her hand reaching up to a as yet unseen amulet at her neck. It seemed just a simple stone carved with runes, a mere trinket perhaps. But it was the deepest black in color yet seemed to pulse with life of it's own. And had anyone bothered to look at it closely, they may have wondered why such a women would wear such a dark bauble.

Her hand did not even touch it before she cried out in pain. She quickly bit her lip to stifle it. 'Better not call their attention to it' she thought 'we have enough to worry about.' She looked down at her hand already covered with blisters, the burn from the fresh one adding yet another scar to her hand. Tears came unbidden to her eyes, something she was not used to. She wiped them quickly away, hoping that both Taurandhil and Ryle were still preoccupied. Ryle was talking with a dwarf, giving him a slip of paper. Kilihan thrust one dagger into her boot, the other into sash around her waist. She closed her eyes and began to search for Bakie.

Both men walked up to her while she was attempting to reach Bakie. Kilihan's eyes suddenly flew open, their expression troubled and angry.

"Come we must go quickly. They know about us. She is probably being watched. But we can't leave her." And with a flourish of her robes she turned down one of the dark tunnels."Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

[Edited by icedragon on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 5:22 AM]

Ontarys
04/09/2002 6:25 AM


She closed her eyes and began to search for Bakie.


Sha stopped in mid sentence as he spoke to Shantu.......

"Ahhh I see they have some ability after all, they will come for their friend.
This is not a good time to worry about them however, the dragon is getting impatient and wants to see results quickly. We shall see what these upstarts are made of.............soon"I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
04/09/2002 8:17 AM

Ryle and Taurhendil caught up to Kilihan quickly as she moved in Bakie's direction, and they moved a little ahead to watch for enemies while the mage concentrated on her spell. As they passed, Kilihan felt something brush her cheek and she turned her head sharply. With a slender finger, Taurhendil finished the movement, wiping a rouge drop of moisture from the woman's eyelid. His grey eyes staring into hers with a neutral, yet intense expression. Taking her hand for a moment, he forced it gently open and then wraped it around a small, smooth cave stone, the cold pebble leaching the heat out of her burn. You need say nothing, his eyes seemed to say, your secrets are your own.Weep, o ye people of the world,
weep for the hated and for the sorrow.
Weep for the misunderstood and misunderstanding.
Weep, then dry your eyes and carry forwards the dream.
Perhaps peace will reign once more.

Dogar_Setton
04/09/2002 1:50 PM

Ryle looked back at his two companions, grinning wryly as he saw the elf brush a hand lightly across Kilihans face. " Humph," he grunted good naturedly, the elf moves fast, I'll grant him that". Ryle chuckled softly to himself, then stopped as he spied a errant tear hanging from Taurendhils finger. "Damn it, the girls crying about something. Maybe I should...." Ryle began to step back toward his friends, then stopped, watching the elf and the woman stare into each others eyes. " Nah, I'll go on ahead, give 'em a moment together."

Hiding his grin behind a manufactured yawn, Ryle drew his great sword from the leather scabbard he had strapped across his broad shoulders. Not for the first time, the warrior gazed upon his blade in wonder, amazed that such a fine piece of craftmanship was now his. He looked back at Taurendhil thankfully, the elf was a true friend to have given him such a weapon. Ryle read the runes on the flat of the blade, runes that the refugee mageling girl had deciphered for him; they read "The Wave of Ergoth" in an ancient script. The weapons name, they had presumed. It was fitting, the warrior thought, that it should be named so, when the crosspiece was fashioned into a cresting wave and the pommel was composed of a single sea-blue gem, but it still gave him no clue as to whether the sword was enchanted or not.

Shrugging, Ryle continued on down the corridor. It didn't really matter if the sword was magical; it was a superior weapon and a work of art in it's own right, and would be more that enough to dispatch whatever corporeal foe came at him. Ryle rounded a corner, still musing on the value of his beloved blade, when he heard something in the shadows. THe warrior crept forward to take a closer look, when......

....... a shadowy form dropped from the ceiling to land a few yards away from him.

"GODS ABOVE!!" The warrior cried, backpedalling frantically. He looked over his shoulder to the corridor behind him, found himself alone.

Taur and Kili had better come soon....................

OOC: What does Ryle see? One of you will have to decide that.... DUM DA DUMMM!!!!:o .....................oooooooooh, the suspense!! ;)
BTW, I'm going to be gone on a class trip until Saturday; I'll try to post but I can't guarantee anything.............sorry. :D One of you(or all of you, for that matter) can control Ryle until I get back. I ask one thing though, I'm trying to work Ryle's discovering of his Sword's magical abilities into the plot, but if anyone else feels like it, they can do it. "The Wave of Ergoth" protects it's user from Fire and Minor Magics, so have fun with Ryle and the blades abilities............. I'll see ya in a few days, b'y's !!! :D :D :D " If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back to you.........Chase it Down!!!
P.O.1 Nestor

icedragon
04/10/2002 5:29 AM

OOC: Do you all think that what Ryle saw is Dylar? It would be a perfect time to sneak him in.

IC: Kilihan's eyes softened for a second as Taurandhil reached out his hand to touch her face, then he touched her hand, trying to take the heat from it with a stone he had found on the caves floor. The pain seemed to go away instantly. Then a sudden dark thought crossed her mind. He knew.....he had seen her touch the amulet, he knew what she was, what had become of her. She looked briefly at Ryle. Saw the look in his eyes, he thought she was some helpless human women, crying in the dark. Her eyes became stone walls, cold as the ice she had used in her spell.

"Thank you Taurandhil, my hand feels much better." she briskly yet she gently pulled her hand from his.

She saw the look in his eyes, he wasn't asking for her secrets. But doubt crept in her heart, eating away her confidence like a worm in a apple. Her old arrogance came back unbidden. How dare they think me a frail human woman. Me the great Kilihananthius. I shall show them. And then the memories of what they had all been through flooded in. Kilihan shook her head, she was so confused. Must humans go through this turmoil all the time. Suddenly she heard Ryle call out. He'd gone ahead of them. She gave Taurandhil a worried glance, seeing the same feeling reflected in his eyes."Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

[Edited by icedragon on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 6:54 AM]

sylvan
04/10/2002 6:03 AM

OOC:

OOC: Do you all think that what Ryle saw is Dylar? It would be a perfect time to sneak him in.


I'm not sure we've gone far enough to get to Dylar... he's with Bakie, remember? Let's go for something else.

IC:
Taurhendil's head flicked to the side, his eyes narrowing as Ryle's shout echoed down the corridor. He lept away from Kilihan's side like a cat, flipping the short sword back into his left hand as he sprang forwards. He rounded the corner to see Ryle standing several meters down the next tunnel with something lurking in the shadows beyond.

OOC: I'm none too familiar with the DL universe and its various monsters, so perhaps it would be better for me to allow someone else to take this one."Beasts only bare their fangs at enemies. They, at least, are true to their feelings."

Ontarys
04/10/2002 6:12 AM

OOC: I really would have perferred there not even be a battle at this point as you just recently fought the golems......and more yet to come. A good thread consists of action AS well as interaction between characters and their surroundings. At this point a battle is not necessary. SO I will assume that this is where you meet the gully dwarf that was sent to find and lead you to bakie.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

TolkaninFaznin
04/10/2002 6:21 AM

((ooc; Sorry I haven't been posting . . . I got confused when somehow I had ended up outside my cell . . . and now I'm with Ryle . . . somewhere I lost my brain))"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

icedragon
04/10/2002 6:33 AM

ooc: no I don't think your with ryle yet. The gully dwarf was sent to lead us to you. But the thing is, are you being guarded? heh...my guess is were not supposed to know yet ;) thus the seemingly easy escape from your cell."Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

dylar
04/10/2002 7:12 AM

OOC: Nice pull in! :D

Dylar looked over his sholder to see the form of one of his comrades. His mind racing too fast to stop. He continued along....

OOC: Short on time sorry!"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Ontarys
04/10/2002 1:52 PM


ooc: no I don't think your with ryle yet. The gully dwarf was sent to lead us to you. But the thing is, are you being guarded? heh...my guess is were not supposed to know yet ;) thus the seemingly easy escape from your cell.

OOC: Exactly ;) :D >:)I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

dylar
04/11/2002 7:10 AM


OOC: Do you all think that what Ryle saw is Dylar? It would be a perfect time to sneak him in.


Dylar jogged onward down the hallway. The companion following more quickly to his pace. Now thinking straight Dylar came to a complete stop. The figure became clearer.

"So, you want to help do you? Well let's get on then! This fool "Shantu has messed with the wrong mage!" ((OOC: OOPS!))"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Ontarys
04/11/2002 6:01 PM


So, you want to help do you? Well let's get on then! This fool "Shantu has messed with the wrong mage!" ((OOC: OOPS!))

OOC: We shall see >:) :D ;) lol!I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

dylar
04/12/2002 11:00 AM

Images of Dylar's old party mingled between him and Ryle......
but are too much for him to take. He dismisses the illusions and turns his back to where they were.

"Let's go. We've got ogres to hunt."

OOC2:See! He does have feelings! Can I get a few points for that Ont? Not that he's prone to crying. More likely he takes his sorrow, turns it to rage and uses it to fuel his spells!



So, you want to help do you? Well let's get on then! This fool "Shantu has messed with the wrong mage!" ((OOC: OOPS!))

OOC: We shall see >:) :D ;) lol!

OOC:O $HIT LOL
"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Dogar_Setton
04/15/2002 10:08 AM

OOC: HEY!! I'm back from the capital city, beautiful St. John's herself!! :D :D :D So Dylar's with us now......? The last few posts were'nt too clear on that, but I'll assume he is with us. If that screws anybody up then I can always change it later.

Ryle scrabbled backward, whipping his sword through a textbook defensive maneuver to keep back the strange looking newcomer. What in the name of the gods was this thing? Ryle's mind raced over every story and legend he had ever heard concerning cave beasts, yet he could find nothing in his concious mind to fit the description of this alien beast. THe warrior eyed the creature standing before him in consternation. It walked upright like a human or elf, yet in appearance it was cat-like. The beast had unmistakabely feline features, from the lethal talons on it's hands to the short fringe of orange fur that coated it's entire body, even to the luminous yellow eyes that now studied Ryle with a disturbing degree of intelligence.

"Lets go. We've got Ogres to hunt." The man-beast spoke, motioning for Ryle to follow it down the tunnel. Ryle hung back, keeping the gleaming blade of his two-handed sword between himself and the newcomer.

" Go where you want, beast, but you'll be going alone. As to the ogres, you're idea is appealing, but what guarantee do I have that I won't be the appetizer to a meal of Roast Ogre. Nay, Cat, I'll stay right here and wait for my friends, then we can see what's to be done about you."

" Beast?" The Cat-man tilted it's head quizzically, " You speak with impertinence, Manling." The feline's eyes narrowed dangerously, peering intently at the warrior as it's claws began to gleam with the flames of magic.

" I speak with caution, stranger, not impertinence." Ryle brought his sword up higher, noticing as he did so that the blade of The Wave was now gleaming a soft blue color, matching the fiery red of the cat-beasts claws. " I know you not, and am not foolish enough to blindly follow any stranger into a dark passage, let alone one as strange as you. I do believe I'll stay right here to wait for my friends, " Ryle drew a half-circle in the dust with the blade of his gleaming sword, then straightened to stare the eerie newcomer in the eye, " and damned be he who tries to move me."

Ryle dropped swiftly into a defensive crouch, watching as the robed feline did the same. He could see the flames growing larger on the felines claws, could hear the soft sibilant hiss of it's breath; but above that he could hear the soft tread of leather boots and the almost imperceptible jangle of a battered shortsword against a worn pommel. Taurendhil.

THe warrior backed slowly away from his adversary down the hall and edged into the hallway where he knew he would be in the elf's line of sight, then waited patiently for his friend to catch up with him. Taurendhil would come soon, Ryle told himself, and when he did he would find the truth about this situation. If this creature is truly a friend, as it wants me to think, then I will welcome it with open arms. But if we find out that it is not what it pretends to be, Ryle smiled coldly at the figure across the shadows, then figured the hilt of his glowing sword.

If the creature is lying, Ryle thought firmly, it dies...........................

OOC2: How's that for character interaction, Ont? ;) By the way, I'm not trying to make the thread harder by making my character extremely suspicious of Dylar, it's just that nowhere in the previous posts has Ryle actually MET Dylar. He's heard his name mentioned, yes, and he knows that Dylar was once travelling with Bakie, but he's never actually seen him. That, coupled with the fact that Dylar IS rather unusual looking, gives Ryle good reason to be suspicious and will probably give a nice little bit of tension to the plot.............

Oh, and dylar, if I've given the wrong description of your character I'm sorry. That's the way I've always pictured him, but maybe you have something different in mind. If so, tell me and I'll change it.... Welcome back to the thread :D
" If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back to you.........Chase it Down!!!
P.O.1 Nestor

Ontarys
04/15/2002 4:09 PM

OOC: :( as everyone has noticed I havnt been able to post much. Its been really busy and I wont have time to post for a while. I hope you guys finish the thread......as Sha and Shantu are not characters I use feel free to control them and dont forget their interaction with the dragon.

You guys did great, nd i dont consider you newbies at all. Dont know when i'l be back, hopefully in a few months.....maybe less. Til then keep it up. i'l come by and check the site out every now and then.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

icedragon
04/15/2002 6:21 PM

(( Sorry I haven't replied in so long I couldn't get to the site at all. I'm kind of confused as to where we all are now. But I'm sure we can get it all together, I hope everyone wants to finish this story!! :D I can't post now though I only have...a few seconds actually, I'm watching a three month old....lol...no time to write more! ;) ))
"Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

dylar
04/18/2002 7:12 AM

OOC: The Kattackans are more of a noble race han a beastly misteak. He really have nothing aginst humans at all! He does have a tendency to be a bit coarse though!

Dylar levitated above the ground keeping pace with Ryle. A bit miffed at the harsh greeting, but still understanding him."Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

sylvan
04/18/2002 11:03 AM

OOC: Hello, everyone, from a high-speed connection at Middlebury College, VT! I'm visiting here for a day or two, and probably won't be able to post until monday. Just assume that my character follows along (he'd try to do some mediation between Dylar and Ryle, tho, since he help out both of them in the past- if you can work that in before I do, that'd be great)

Good Hunting =)"Beasts only bare their fangs at enemies. They, at least, are true to their feelings."

icedragon
04/18/2002 4:59 PM

OOC: Thought I'd try to do a small post, hope it makes sense with where we're going :D if not I can fix it. I didn't know if you wanted to come with us Dylar or if you needed to go to do something else. So I left it open okay? :)

IC: Kilihan stopped as abruptly as Taurandhil had, both tense ready to confront the two forms ahead of them. Then they realized that one of them was Ryle. And that the other was something unrecognizable...... and it was VERy near Ryle. Her eyes widened at the sudden thought that crossed her mind. "Oh no...not a golem...not ryle.' But both of them relaxed just as quickly as she heard Ryle talking with the shadowy form. Kilihan and Taurandhil walked up to stand beside Ryle. He had his hand on the hilt of his sword yet he stood talking with the creature. Relief crossed his face when saw both Kilihan and Taurandhil were here.

Kilihan eyes focused on the shadow form in front of Ryle. It walked upright like a human or elf, yet had talons were it''s hands were. She could see that fur covored it's body...orange fur. Kilihan was amazed to find a such a strange and rare creature in this dark mines and then she was struck almost dumb when it crossed her mind that she recognized this feline creature.

"Dylar?!" she half questioned, half assured herself. He turned his yellow feline eyes towards her strange blue ones. Recognition seemed to dawn on his intelligent face, intelligence that no normal 'creature' would have.

"Yes, I know you....Ke...Ki....Kilihan was it? I remember you, I saw you first when they brought you back from...." he stopped not wanting to finish his sentence, yet not apologizing for it. He somehow knew she would understand. He then turned towards Taurandhil, "You too, I know you. You set me free of my manacles."

Ryle looked at the creature then at his two friends. His eyes still puzzeled.

Taurandhil nodded at Dylar and then turned towards Ryle. 'It is true friend."

Ryle eyes were still looking dubiously at Dylar. "I had not meet you before but it seemsmy friends have. I'm sorry I doubted your claim that you are a friend. Yet you cannot blame me for my suspicion.

Dylar mearly nodded toward Ryle in understanding. He knew all to well what being a slave down here did to a person. A suspicious nature was to be expected, would have seemed wrong not to have.

"We are searching for Bakie now Dylar, " Kilihan began her voice commanding the attention of the three men who were all still busy staring at one another, "Your help and abilities would no doubt be most helpful to us.

"She was supposedly led to a secret route", Kilihan voiced dripped with sarcasm, "but it doesn't seem as that is the case. Will you come with us?""Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

[Edited by icedragon on Thursday, April 18, 2002 5:02 PM]

waaazzaahh
04/19/2002 2:46 AM

Can I play?, I'm a newbie in this site, but not in RPG...

dylar
04/19/2002 7:11 AM


Can I play?, I'm a newbie in this site, but not in RPG...

OOC: Sorry dude.
"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Dogar_Setton
04/21/2002 3:41 PM

OOC: sorry waaazaah, but we're too far along to take any new players at the moment. There may be a few other threads in this forum that are just starting so I'd suggest you try them....... BTW, welcome to the RPGC :D


IC: Ryle frowned, watching as Taur and Kili ran up to greet the strange creature across from him. The warrior eased his grip on the sword reluctantly, slid the half-drawn blade back into his battered leather sheath. He listened to the trio's conversation for a moment then started as he recognized a name.

"Dylar?" Ryle spoke, watching as the newcomer lifted his head. " You are Dylar?" The warrior grinned as the other nodded his assent. " Well, finally I get to meet the enigmatic Dylar I've heard all about. I must say that you're not exactly what I expected a captive mage to look like." Ryle reached out to shake Dylar's hand, then, eyeing the fearsome claws displayed there, decided against it, clapping him on the shoulder instead. " Contrary to my actions a moment ago, I am overjoyed to see you. Another mage will come in handy down there." Ryle nodded to the shadowed hallway stretching away to their left.

" Indeed." Kilihan spoke up, staring detachedly into the inky black corridor next to Ryle. " For we have absolutely no idea what awaits us below." Kilihan shook her head and grinned apologetically as she saw the confused expressions on the faces of her companions. " Sorry if that sounded a little cryptic, but I've been using a scrying spell to locate Bakie, or anyone else. I've seen.............." The woman frowned, trailing off as she stared down the tunnel.

"Yes, go on." Taurendhil prompted her gently. " You've seen--"

"Nothing." Kilihan looked to each of her companions in turn, locking eyes with them to drive home her statement. "I see absolutely nothing. It's as if an ebony curtain has been drawn across my mind, shutting out all my attempts to see beyond. I can no more see what lays beyond as I can walk through that wall." Kilihan gestured to the jagged stone wall next to her."

Ryle looked to Kilihan quickly, then shrugged his shoulders."Well, I guess we'll have to just go down there and find out the hard way."

"You must be mad!" Dylar stepped toward the warrior, clutching his shoulder. " Ryle, have you been listening to a word Kilihan said? A scrying spell is a very potent enchantment and the lady is an extremely accomplished mage. It's not a simple thing to block a spell like that." Dylar drew himself up to look Ryle square in the eye." Someone extremely powerful is down there."

The warrior stared at the Kattackan mage for a long moment, then spun on his heel and stalked into the corridor leading to the lower depths, muttering something on the way out. Shrugging, the others followed, but only Taurendhil's sharp ears picked up the mercenaries words as he stepped into the gathering darkness.

" So is Bakie....................."
" If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back to you.........Chase it Down!!!
P.O.1 Nestor

dylar
04/22/2002 7:10 AM

Dylar retratcted his claws and summoned his spell book. Dylar retreats to the far wall and begins to spin a spell. (almost literally) A blanket of fine silvery silk desends on the party and dissappears.

"This should help a little with scrying, but if she's as good as they say then it won't last long..........sorry, it's the best I can summon right now......."

Dylar collapses into a trance."Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

sylvan
04/23/2002 7:24 PM

OOC: Hey all, I'm back!

Taurhendil watched down the tunnel carefully, his keen ears pricked, his shining eyes scanning for movement. Even his nose carefully tested the gritty air, sniffing lightly for the scent of ogres or magic. He glanced back at the rest of the company... he was doubly glad that Dylar was with them again, but it was time to move on.

Just then, as if on cue, the feline mage slipped to the floor.

Gliding over, Taurhendil put his sword into a loose cord that he had tied around his waist and gently picked up his comerade. He was surprised at how light the obviously powerful body was.

"Ryle, Kilihan, you'll have to go on ahead, I'll carry him. We need to be moving again, the longer we stay, the sooner they'll find us. Let's go.""Beasts only bare their fangs at enemies. They, at least, are true to their feelings."

dylar
04/24/2002 11:06 AM

Dylar, now slumped over Taurhendil's shoulder, fought his mind for control. Visions of Shantu, his lost party, his small cottage, and the mass grave his party were all tossed into by the ogres that murdered them swam rthrough his head, driving him crazy.While tranced he was helpless to stop them, as though he were trapped in a horrible nightmare with no way out.

If only I hadn't.....no, I had to. If I haddn't then there would be no stopping that wretched sorceress from stopping me and my comrades from dealing out our wrath on Shantu and his orges!. O, you would not belive the anger that welled in him! He could feel his mind gaining focus. The jade ring on his middle finger, not noticed by the ogres that stole his staff.
The ring started glowing brighter and brighter, Dylar's rage increasing with it.

Taurhendil immeadiatly dropped his comrade to the floor. He had heard of this before, but only in legend.

Dylar's clawed hands enlarged, ears becoming larger and more wolfish(sorry, forgot the scientific word for it), dark, jagged stripes appear on his pelt as his form grows larger by the instant.......then, faster than it took for the transformation to take place, his form reverted and Dylar once again slumped to the ground.

He stiffly got to his feet, almost losing his balance, and glaced over at Taurhendil.

"I'm sorry you had to see that..... The spell I cast, you see, was too much for my mind without assistance and the only way to pull out of it was to use the gift of my gaurdianship. Were I not the gaurdian of the Farr North Mountains I doubt I would have recovered."

OOC:I couldn't help it. :D I really needed an excuse to show off his alternate form. Ont is really going to punnish me for it, but ...well .....there it is. :D
"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

[Edited by dylar on Thursday, April 25, 2002 11:01 AM]

icedragon
04/26/2002 5:09 AM

Ryle and Kilihan were walking ahead of Taurandhil and Dylar, so they were unaware of his transformation. But they heard the slump of his body as Taurandhil let it fall to the floor. They both turned their heads around quickly knowing the sound of a body hitting the floor could only mean trouble. They peered into the darkness or atleast Ryle tried to, Kilihan could see a bit better.

"It's Dylar on the ground Ryle" Kilihan whispered in his ear lest someone heard them up ahead "but Taurandhil is right over him. I sense no ogres near."

Dylar seemingly strange behaviour only increased Ryle's suspicions. His brow furrowed but he said nothing.

"He is getting up on his own, I sense that it has something to do with his magic. He is exhausted, perhaps he tried to cast another spell to soon." Kilihan went on to explain.

"Well, well my dear you can read minds, you have healing powers, you can seemingly sense people's troubles or thoughts without even using your magic and from what I hear your quite the mage!" his face broke into a crooked grin "What else are you capable of?"

"Apparently everything" Kilihan said as she laughed softly a mischievious look in her eyes. She returned her gaze to Taurandhil and Dylar. They both began to walk down the hall. "Dylar is walking now, he seems to be well. We can continue on, it would be better if we weren't all in one group anyhow. If anything happens to us they will atleast have some warning beforehand."

Both Ryle and Kilihan's face darkened considerably when they turned to continue walking down the dark corridor. The air was thick with magic, black magic. It seemed to be trying to wrap it's icy hands around their throats and suffocate them. But they needed to go on , the couldn't leave Bakie in the hands of any ogres or most especially the shaman.

"Takhisis herself is whispering all the dread things that can happen to us in my ear. The very walls scream to me Ryle that this is a trap and yet I don't know what to do to avoid it."

Ryle's head hung a little lower as he shook it in understanding. "I know Kilihan...... I know.""Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

[Edited by icedragon on Friday, April 26, 2002 6:31 AM]

Dogar_Setton
04/26/2002 9:36 AM

Ryle drew his sword, holding the weapon in tightly in his right fist, keeping his left arm around Kilihan to support her. The woman was shaking uncontrollably, shivering as if the air around her had turned to ice. The warrior stepped closer to her, noticing as he did so that his companions lips were turning an unhealthy shade of blue....... " Kili, what's wrong? Are you illl?"

"Cold,,.....so cold" the Magess answered, rubbing her arms. "Not an earthly cold, Ryle," she spoke, seeing that the mercenary was preparing to offer his cloak. " Not an earthly cold, but something else, something deeper..... I feel a sickness that pervades my very being..... I ...... I can't really explain it, it's just that........" She stopped. "Ryle, do you realize that your sword is glowing?"

The warrior brought the blade up to eye-level, frowning as he studied the faint blue glow. " It's been doing that a lot lately. I first saw it happen when I was about to fight Dylar; I'm guessing it's magic, but I don't know what sets it off...." He trailed off, then handed the weapon hilt-first to Kili. " You're a mage, can you make anything of it?"

Kili studied the words etched into the flat of the blade. "Well the script is ancient, and expertly done. I'd say that, magical or no, you've found yourself quite a valuable weapon Ryle. I think I can make out the Language, looks like old Ergothian... ummm... 'The Ware', no that must be 'Wave"...... Ah, yes, 'The Wave of Ergoth" She handed The Wave back to Ryle, smiling apologetically. " That's all I can get for now, to truly study the limits of such an arcane item takes time, and......."

"SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Both the Warrior and Magess stopped in their tracks, instinctively huddling back-to-back to study their surroundings. The shriek reverberated of the myriad tunnels and alcoves, seeming to come from all directions at once, attacking them with a bombardment of sound. The shriek sounded once more, echoing about their ears as a mysterious fog rolled into the chamber. Above the echoes, though, both Kilihan and Ryle could hear a muffled voice....... it sounded as if it were whispering, or sobbing, or....................

"Spellcasting." The warrior spoke, eyeing Kilihan beside him as the light winked out of the chamber. " There's someone in these tunnels with us Kili, and I don't think it's Taur or Dylar. I think it'll be better if we doubled back and...."

"Ryle,duck!" Kilihan's voice rang out in the darkness, startling the warior.

Ryle turned, looking for an adversary, whipping his sword about in a frenzy. He heard a whispered chant, spun to face that direction..... and was blinded as the flash of a fireball exploded in his vision. He stumbled backward, clutched his sword, saw a large robed figure stride out from the darkness and heard Kilihan scream his name.

Then the world faded to black.................. " A Fisherman is one rogue, a Merchant is many....."
- old Newfoundland Proverb

icedragon
04/29/2002 5:39 AM

OOC: Did I get captured? I don't think I would allow my self if humanly...or dragonly..heh....possible to get captured. Plus my arcane abilities might or might not be able to over power his. I'm not sure. I 'll just separate from you three for awhile.*lol* like my magic spells, I think the second one is a bit obvious. :)

IC:"Ryle, duck!"

Kilihan had felt the magic of the creature coming towards them long before she could see it. She watched as Ryle, eyes darting everywhere, tried to find an enemy. She heard the magic user began to speak the language of magic, the words sliding out of his mouth coming towards them, like some serpent come to kill them.

"He's going to use.......BOOM" A large fireball exploded in the tunnel, knocking Kilihan back away from Ryle. Kilihan looked up to see a large robed figure stride out of the darkness. She knew who it was without having ever saw him......the Shaman.

"Ryle!" she screamed wanting him to get away while he could.

The dark figure turned towards her. It's bulging eyes narrowed as it gave her a malicious grin. He heard Ryle and the others behind them but merely snorted. He would deal with them later. Here was the presence he had sensed. Yes, the dragon would pay dearly for her. He wasn't exactly sure why, but that didn't matter he could deal with details later.

Kilihan jumped up words to a spell on her lips. "Aunia wivulian iciza!"
Again the room was filled with a numbing cold. This time however ice began to form on both sides of the wall between the Shaman and Ryle. It grew rapidly, the ice flowing down the walls like it was warm water, until it had become a ice wall blocking the passage, trapping Kilihan and the Shaman together.

Kilihan saw the Shaman turn his head slightly. 'Good' she thought 'he didn't expect that.' She called to mind another spell, even as the wall was still forming. "Spiyadius webes."

The shaman whipped his head around his eyes widening, he had only time to think, "What strange words she's using", before a mass of sticky web rendered him unable to move.

Kilihan used her telepathy to cast a quick message to the others, she wasn't sure if Ryle was still conscious but the others would hear. 'It will last only awhile, you'll be able to continue this way, my magic is made a bit weak down here amoungst such evil. He will follow me......" She cut her message off abrutly as she felt the probing of dark magic in her mind, it left a bitter taste in her mouth.

"Trying to reach your friends are you?" the shaman hissed in her brain, his eyes burning with hatred but unable to move. They'll be taken care of soon enough."

Kilihan looked back towards the shaman, eyes flaring not with fire but with the same intense cold as the wall she created. "And so will you." She turned down the hallway and began to run."Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~






[Edited by icedragon on Monday, April 29, 2002 5:57 AM]

sylvan
04/29/2002 7:19 PM

Taurhendil felt the alternate washes of heat and cold, felt the deafening, reverberating BOOM through the tunnel and the hiss of air compressed suddenly.

"Kilihan!"

The elf drew his sword and pelted down the hallway with Dylar limping after him. He had only to follow the scent of magic that filled his nostrils until he found his companions. Skidding to a stop, he plunged his sword into the ice wall, then knelt by Ryle. The mercenary's poor clothing was badly singed, but the spell had obviously been designed for impact, not dammage. There was a little blood on his head where it had hit the floor, but he seemed otherwise whole.

Then Kilihan's voice filled Taurhendil's head 'It will last only awhile, you'll be able to continue this way, my magic is made a bit weak down here amongst such evil. He will follow me......

The elf pulled his sword out of the wall, deftly flicking a shard of ice into his hand and melting it over Ryle's brow, mumbling a spell in Elvish. His tears mingled with the fresh water, inadvertantly strengthening the spell so that Ryle snapped suddenly awake with a jolt.

"They've taken Kilihan. Take a moment to recover and I'll try to do what I can."

Suddenly the glow in the elf's eyes receeded, dwindling to darkness as he felt himself become one with the world around him. He instantly felt the torment of the stone, felt the shock of having his own essence being so close to one so clearly evil- just on the other side of the wall. In his mind's eye, he saw the shaman as a great, dark from, a slash of chaos on the face of the dreamscape. Tendrils of darkenss reached out in all directions, seeking greedily for himself and the others, but mainly for Kilihan. The ogre's mind, however, was not attuned enough to sense the elf's spiritual avatar.

Taurhendil decided to spare him the trouble.

The elf's spirit-form ignited in a burst of willpower, driving the shadow back for a moment. With a precise series of thoughts, beams of light flew forth and struck down some of the dark tentacles, severing some of the mental probes that reached out after the party and lessening the evil presence blanketing the area. Then, just as swiftly, Taurheldil retreated into the shadows, withdrawing his presence before his enemy could counterstrike.

With a gasp, the elf opened his eyes again. Ryle was still orienting himself. The whole encounter had taken a fraction of a second. Dylar came slowly up, still slightly dazed but obviously doing better.

"I... I think we should go on. Kilihan can make it on her own, Bakie's still in more immidiate danger."

OOC: Is this too wierd, or is it okay?"Beasts only bare their fangs at enemies. They, at least, are true to their feelings."

icedragon
04/30/2002 5:05 AM

OOC: I don't think it's too wierd. I'm not going to try to stop him myself, I figure it would probably take all of us for that. You'll be able to go get Bakie soon, I think I'll just lead him around for awhile and find some way to circle back. I don't think I should go for Bakie should I? I like this though...lot's o' twists! ;)"Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

dylar
04/30/2002 11:01 AM

OOC: What attacked us?"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

sylvan
04/30/2002 8:28 PM

OOC: Sha attacked us, and Kilihan corageously created a wall of ice and trapped him in webbing to hold him off from the main group while she led him in another direction. Taurhendil, meanwhile, made a pseudomagical attack against the shaman's power. Now, while Kilihan distracts Sha, who in his arrogance, we hope, will decide that he can deal with us easily later, we'll try to rescue Bakie. Got all of that? :)"Beasts only bare their fangs at enemies. They, at least, are true to their feelings."

icedragon
05/01/2002 5:53 AM

OOC: *whistles* what a story! ;). I figured Sha would be arrogant, he has or atleast he thinks he has the dragon's favor and he's quite adept in magic which you usually don't think of with ogres. But if you guys don't want him to be I can think of something else no problem :D"Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

dylar
05/01/2002 7:07 AM

OOC: Hmmmmm. This would be alot easier with Ont here!"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

TolkaninFaznin
05/01/2002 7:15 AM

ooc; Sorry I haven't posted lately, I've been a bit of a lot confused. Am I still standing outside of my cell???? ((I still don't recall how I got there in the first placde :/ ))"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

icedragon
05/01/2002 9:57 AM

OOC: Maybe just one of us should take over the Shaman, so that we all don't try and make him do things. *lol* because we're all saying different things. Personally I don't think Bakie would be outside her cell. I think she's still in it with all the toads and frogs. Oh yeah and Onyt said there was a gully dwarf looking for us and that he wanted to betray the shaman......what about him? :D"Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

dylar
05/01/2002 11:00 AM

OOC: Maybe someone should play the DM role for a little while. I might take a little more work, but not too much."Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Ontarys
05/02/2002 9:35 AM


OOC: Hmmmmm. This would be alot easier with Ont here!


LOL........I am not back ;) but i will finish this thread with you guys before it loses direction. Sha should not have had such trouble dealing directly with you guys...............but it was pretty good reading. Decide how you are going to "try" to escape him............and quickly >:)

I will just post whats happening or what happened as the thread progresses.........just plain ol DMing.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

dylar
05/02/2002 10:55 AM


LOL........I am not back ;)


OOC: Close enough. :D

Dylar began to slip over to the wall on his left. Muttering under his breath some neverending stream of gibberish a slivery fog floated around him and the others.

".o0(Follow me.)", telepathicly Dyarl spoke to the rest of his party as he retreated back the way they came."Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

icedragon
05/03/2002 6:11 AM

OOC: Don't know if I'm doing this right but I'll try. If it seems to wierd then I can change it :).

IC: Kilihan made no noise as she ran down the hallway, jumping over puddles and rocks so as not so alert anyone. She knew the shaman was coming after her, she could sense his presence but it wasn't close anymore ....yet. She passed a series of doors. Some were massive wooden doors, probably oak, with heavy iron hinges others seemed barely hanging on. All were shut and no light streamed out from beneath them. All the better though since it quite possibly meant no ogres would come out behind her.

Kilihan took a series of twists and turns. She didn't run blindly though, she remember what path she had taken and it also occured to her that the hallway was slowly winding down. She came to a fork in the road, she needed to head back up. She had heard Dylar's message they were going back the way they came. The others would be heading up if they could. To the left there was the very distant sounds of harsh cries and whips cracking. 'That has to be the way.' Kilihan grimaced. She was about to turn towards the left when suddenly something caught her eye in the right tunnel. A faint light, fire by the looks of it. Kilihan dared not use her magic to sense what was in that room, it would make her stand out to the shaman as the stars do in the night sky. She looked uncertaintly towards the left tunnel again then towards the right.

Something was telling her to go down the right, a natural instinct she knew she could count on. She padded softly down the dark right hall and stopped outside the door, back to the wall. The croaks of frogs and toads could be heard coming from inside. Bewilderment crossed Kilihan's face. 'What would the shaman need with a room full of toads?' She peered around the corner to look in the dimly lit room. Her eyes at first noticed nothing but the tons of amphibians hopping and crawling along the floor.

She looked further back into the room, there was a cell in the back. She saw a glimpse of a shadow form moving about quickly within. Kilihan eyes narrowed as she tried to bring into focus what was within....too small for a ogre.....it looks like a human maybe elven..... Suddenly Kilihan body tensed she stepped into the room a little further. "Bakie?!""Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

sylvan
05/03/2002 9:46 PM

Taurhendil, Ryle, and Dylar padded swiftly down a series of twisting hallways, trying to put some distance between themselves and the shaman. All three were weak from their recent efforts, but in the same manner, none of them were willing to halt while still encased by the rock that had held them for so long. Downwards they went, until the earth seemed to close upon them and every stone seemed ready to crush out their pitiful lives. At last, by many twists and turns, they came down to a fork. From one side, there was an obvious commotion, a smacking and a roaring that could only mean the presence of slaves... and more ogres. From the right, the sound of torches in sconces could be faintly heard.

Taurhendil was about to turn to the right, then stopped, sniffing the air slightly. There was an odor... something unmasked by the stone grit, something ever so slightly different. Almost, but not quite, human.

The elf turned towards the left, then spoke quietly to his companions. "I'm sure Kilihan went down to the right a few minutes ago. If my sense of direction is correct, we're fairly near the lower cells, right back where we started. Go and see if she needs any assistance, I'm going to cause some commotion." With a sarcastic, slightly bitter sneer, he adds "After all, if I'm being pulled into rescuing people, we might as well make it a party."

Drawing his sword, he padded quietly down the corridor, moving like a breeze would, had there ever been one to stir the stagnant air."Beasts only bare their fangs at enemies. They, at least, are true to their feelings."

TolkaninFaznin
05/05/2002 5:58 PM

Bakie snapped her head up, her hair disheveled and her expression lacking any sense of control or mindfulness.

"Kilihan? Kilihan, get me out of here! I can't stand it! It's torture, it's vile, it's . . it's . . ." She was too distraught for words, and screeched as a frog hopped onto her foot. Terrified, she backed against the wall, crying, swearing in elven."Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

dylar
05/06/2002 11:46 AM

OOC: OOPS! We forgot her!

"Kilihan? Kilihan, get me out of here! I can't stand it! It's torture, it's vile, it's . . it's . . ." She was too distraught for words, and screeched as a frog hopped onto her foot. Terrified, she backed against the wall, crying, swearing in elven.

"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Ontarys
05/06/2002 8:10 PM


If only I hadn't.....no, I had to. If I haddn't then there would be no stopping that wretched sorceress from stopping me and my comrades from dealing out our wrath on Shantu and his orges!. O, you would not belive the anger that welled in him! He could feel his mind gaining focus. The jade ring on his middle finger, not noticed by the ogres that stole his staff.
The ring started glowing brighter and brighter, Dylar's rage increasing with it.

Taurhendil immeadiatly dropped his comrade to the floor. He had heard of this before, but only in legend.

Dylar's clawed hands enlarged, ears becoming larger and more wolfish(sorry, forgot the scientific word for it), dark, jagged stripes appear on his pelt as his form grows larger by the instant.......then, faster than it took for the transformation to take place, his form reverted and Dylar once again slumped to the ground.

He stiffly got to his feet, almost losing his balance, and glaced over at Taurhendil.

"I'm sorry you had to see that..... The spell I cast, you see, was too much for my mind without assistance and the only way to pull out of it was to use the gift of my gaurdianship. Were I not the gaurdian of the Farr North Mountains I doubt I would have recovered."

OOC:I couldn't help it. :D I really needed an excuse to show off his alternate form. Ont is really going to punnish me for it, but ...well .....there it is. :D




Sha realizes now that Shantu's ogre troops will have a tough time with the rebels as some of them posses powers beyond the norm. (ever wonder why he hasnt taken care of you all himself? :D you'll find ot soon enough)

He has informed the dragon of this.......and to his suprise she was aware of the situation, as well as the presence...........of another dragon among the group. If things arent handled soon she may have to make an appearance >:) :D :o dont think you guys want that lol.

OH.......almost forgot......Sha will be a LOT harder to deal with.....should you come across him again >:) (i have a feeling you will).

In the meantime.......ogre troops are regrouping and becoming more organized.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

icedragon
05/07/2002 6:54 AM

OOC: oh no :O how am I going to deal with another dragon while caught in a human body..hmmmm. I guess I'll begin to tell everyone what I really am....I wasn't sure how Bakie would react so I left that open.

IC: "Bakie!" Kilihan sighed in relief they hadn't seen her in what seemed to be to long.

"Bakie, you must be quiet, the shaman he's after me....Bakie...Bakie!" Kilihan half whispered half shouted.

Bakie focused her eyes on Kilihan, trying in vain to ignore the toads and frogs hopping all over her feet. Kilihan walked up to the cell and looked at the lock. Simple enough, no magic was keeping it shut. Kilihan tried to use her dagger to pick the lock and when that failed she tried to break it. But her movements were a bit akward and it caused them both nothing but discomfort at the sound a metal scraping on metal.

"I'm sure they can sense my presense anyhow, I am already endangering everyone with my simply bieng here." Kilihan spoke a simple word and the lock fell clattering to the floor.

"How can your very presense cause us danger Kilihan?" Bakie tried to hop over all the frogs as she ran out. She never stood still as she talked with Kilihan, the amphibians were everywhere. "I admit your seem to be a accomplished magi," she smiled briefly, "and your are quite.....unusual, but unless I don't know my magic, that alone should not give you away."

Kilihan eyes fell to the floor. "Bakie...I.....there is something I....must tell you. I feel as if I can trust you now...I'm sorry for not telling.....before."

Bakie stared intently at Kilihan, both compassion and bewilderment in her eyes.
e
"I.....I am a," Kilihan stopped raising her head up to meet Bakie's gaze, her eyes were sad as if the news she was going to tell would crush Bakie and she cringed slightly as she finshed her sentence, "I'm not human....I'm a dragon."Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

TolkaninFaznin
05/07/2002 10:35 AM

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens." -- Gimli, The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Those who support authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel." -- Silmarillion

dylar
05/07/2002 10:47 AM




Huh?"Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

Dogar_Setton
05/08/2002 1:09 PM

OOC: Hey, I'm back!!!! Sorry I haven't written in a while, but my computer blitzed out and was put up in the shop getting repaired for a week......... I'm back now though, and I'm just going to re-cap to see if I'm still on track after reading the latest posts....... Taur entered a dreamscape thingy and drove off Sha, Kilihan is leading the Warlock away from us and Ryle, Taur and Dylar are searching for Bakie. Taur went to the Left a while ago, while Ryle and Dylar went to the Right, and Kilihan has just informed Bakie that she is actually a dragon in mortal form........ Am I right so far?...... Anyway I'll just continue for a while and edit out anything I do wrong.

IC: Ryle plodded along the corridor next to Dylar, his eyes staring far off as he detachedly pondered what had just happened to him. The warrior recalled with vivid clarity the fireball that had washed over him, the crackling, hissing sound of the mage-flame as it raced to devour his weak mortal flesh. He remembered the shock and fear that he had felt when he turned to see a wall of fire rushing up to engulf him, and the confusion that came over him when he felt......nothing. He felt no heat from the flames, at least, no more heat than he would feel on a hot summers day. He had expected his skin to peel from his flesh, his muscle to fall like withered leaves from his bones, instead he felt nothing, nothing at all, and this had set his mind wondering. He turned over The Wave in his hand, watching the flickering torchlight gleam on the immaculate blade, remembering how the blade had gleamed a cool blue as the flames wrapped him in their infernal embrace. Could the sword be magical? Kilihan had told him it was ancient, and any non-magical sword as ancient as this would have corroded away to nothing long ago, perhaps the sword was the catalyst that had counteracted the Shaman's spell and saved him, perhaps.........

"I'm sure Kilihan went down to the right a few minutes ago. If my sense of direction is correct, we're fairly near the lower cells, right back where we started. Go and see if she needs any assistance, I'm going to cause some commotion".

Ryle barely glanced up as Taurendhil spoke. Instead he waved the elf towards the left tunnel and nodded agreement to his plan, then turned to the Right behind dylar and continued to walk and study his sword. He pondered as he walked, Is the Sword really Magical? Was it what saved me from the fireball? Could it- .. The warrior cut off his ruminations and snapped back to reality as he banged into Dylar's stationry form.

"What is the matter with you, Human?" The Kattackans emerald-eyed gaze took in Ryle thoughfully. " When I first met you, you seemed always to be brash and bold, quick to fight and quick to forgive, as I remember our little encounter. And now you seem to be lost in your thoughts, you stare starry-eyed into the blade of that sword as you would the eyes of a lover. What is it that troubles you?"

Ryle sighed, then told Dylar his whole story, relating his suspicions as to the swords magical properties after the failed magic attack further back.

" Indeed.Well, I could try an experiment. Shall we?" The Katackan inclined his head toward Ryle, who nodded enthusiastically." Very well," Dylar begin, rolling up his sleeves, " I will cast a simple cantrip on you, harmless of course, to see whether the blade will defend you or not. Now hold still, I -"

"It's glowing!!" Ryle whipped the sword up to eye-level for the slightly shorter mage, displaying The Wave which had indeed taken on a slight blue glint. " Dylar it's glowing, you've done it!"

The cat-man looked up in annoyance, frowning. "What, that can't be. I haven't done anything yet, Ryle. I'm an expert on magical items and I tell you that this blade should not be glowing for no reason at all. It's...It's impossible" Dylar waved a hand dismissively, as if that action and his statement would make this impertinent weapon cease it's untruthful gleaming.

Ryle laughed good-naturedly at his companions indignant tone. "You may know a lot about magic Dylar, but this sword is glowing whether you believe it or not. Perhaps it's- Wait!! Listen!!" Ryle held up a hand to stop Dylar's reply and instead leaned toward a split in the tunnel, listening. Had he heard right? The warrior thought that he had heard a soft, feminine gasp, a sharp intake of breath. It had come from this center tunnel branch....... Yes now that he listened harder he could hear a female voice and, slightly quieter...... The ribbit of a hundred frogs. The warrior turned to his mage companion, both of them smiling as they reached the same conclusion.

"Bakie's this way, Ryle, let's-" The mage stopped talking as Ryle sped off down the hallway, running toward the sound. Ryle looked back to see Dylar curse softly and scramble after him, then smiled as the open door to a cell came into view. He could see Kilihan, and Bakie !!! Ryle put on a burst of speed and slipped through the open door......

He wondered, though, as he steped into the tiny room, why the elven girl had such a shocked expression on her face....................... " A Fisherman is one rogue, a Merchant is many....."
- old Newfoundland Proverb

[Edited by Dogar_Setton on Thursday, May 9, 2002 5:14 PM]

dylar
05/09/2002 10:54 AM

Still quite confused by the blade and all togather amused by the human's enthusiasim toward running everywhere. Dylar fadded out of view. Momments later Dylar appears at the door of Bakie's cell. A small grin creaps over his usually stern face.

"You should really stop doing things the hard way....""Are you sugesting that coconuts migrate?"

sylvan
05/10/2002 9:25 PM

Looking over the edge of a broken bit of debris, Taurhendil's eyes flashed as he surveyed one of the mining sites. The tunnel ended several dozen feet ahead in a pit about waist-high on the various persons toiling in it. Nearby, a contingent of four ogres watched over the group, with three of them looking back up the tunnel for any sign of trouble. It was clear they were on the alert, but, admirably, they were still trying to continue the mining operations uninterrupted.

Taurhendil decided to spoil any reward they might get for the effort.

The first creature's death was swift, as it fell with the elf's chisel planted firmly in its throat. Its companions stooped for a moment as it slumped forward with a slight gurgle, and Taurhendil took the opportunity to leap forward. Where others might have offered a battle-cry, the elf ran with silence on his feet and weapons in hand. One of the two, spotting the new threat, brought its sword up to threaten, but the chain still bound firmly to Taurhendil's right wrist snaked out, slashing the thing across it's brutish face. With a cry of pain, it instinctively clutched at its head, allowing the ranger to tumble past it and slash the tendons out of its knee.

The third watcher backed quickly to the wall, calling out to warn its remaining companion. It raised its sword to defend against its smaller opponent, clearly knowing how to use it's blade effectively. Faced with a greater threat than he had anticipated, Taurhendil changed tactics. Muttering a few words under his breath, he lept out at his foe, deliberately jumping higher and shorter than the range of the ogre's weapon. As he nearned the ceiling, he struck out with the sword, sending a shower of sparks off of the metal. With a few shouted syllables, the spell finished at the same moment, causing a flare like daylight in the confined area. Momentarily blinded, the ogre raised its blade to ward off a chance blow and felt Taurhendil's weapon come under its guard and lodge in its stomach.

Just then, Taurhendil's back exploded with pain as a sizzling whiplash snaked across it. He barely moved as the final ogre's blade arced, seeking the elf's torso. Continuing the roll to a safe distance, the elf did a kip-up and faced off again. One left, but he's armed like I am, and he's much too strong for me. And here I am on the wrong side of him, so I can't even run.... Paladine help me.


OOC: I can finish the encounter by myself, but I'm too tired right now =)"Beasts only bare their fangs at enemies. They, at least, are true to their feelings."

Ontarys
05/12/2002 10:12 AM


Just then, Taurhendil's back exploded with pain as a sizzling whiplash snaked across it. He barely moved as the final ogre's blade arced, seeking the elf's torso.


Blade is poisoned......


Continuing the roll to a safe distance, the elf did a kip-up and faced off again. One left, but he's armed like I am, and he's much too strong for me. And here I am on the wrong side of him, so I can't even run.... Paladine help me.


The ogre positions himself for an underhand swing of his sword.......
I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

sylvan
05/13/2002 6:59 PM


The ogre positions himself for an underhand swing of his sword.......



Without another moment of hesitation, Taurhendil flipped backwards, making a reverse handspring that took him out of the reach of his enemy's swipe... almost. Landing, he winced, becoming concious of the searing pain in his leg. Not bothering to glace down, he turned and ran towards the mineshaft, the ogre's triumphant bellow pounding in his head. Coming to the pit, the slaves parted before him as he made a valiant leap in an attempt to clear the hole ahead of the ogre. For the second time in his life, however, his body failed him, his injured leg buckling and sending him into the pit. The tase of blood welled up in his mouth as he hit hard.

"NO ESCAPE FOR YOU, ELF SCUM! YOU DIIIIIIIE*HURK*!"

The clang of a blade rang near the elf's head as he felt something amazingly heavy land on his sprawled form, driving the breath out of his thin body. Every inch of him burned painfully, and he fought his weakened limbs for control, trying desperately to struggle up. His efforts ended with his cheek ground firmly against a sharp stone. The last that he heard before darkness swallowed him was a frightened voice, "He's dying! Quick, help me lift him!"

The elf's body slipped into silence, his spirit looking on, detatched and momentarily at peace.

OOC: Taurhendil was saved at the last minute by the pick of a brave miner. The slaves will try to carry him out, but he is poisoned and wounded. Have fun with that =P"Beasts only bare their fangs at enemies. They, at least, are true to their feelings."

Ontarys
05/14/2002 5:54 PM


OOC: Taurhendil was saved at the last minute by the pick of a brave miner. The slaves will try to carry him out, but he is poisoned and wounded. Have fun with that =P


the slaves over powered and killed the ogre....They have a few minutes to carry you away before another search party passes through.I put a chill up your spine like an eskimo.

icedragon
05/15/2002 4:21 AM

OOC: I'm just waiting for Tolkanin to reply :) since she was the one I told....maybe I should tell Ryle as well, so that we can continue....what do you think Dogar?..and how did taurandhil get separated? I think I missed that somewhere. ;)"Oh I bit you, I'm terribly sorry. Your hand must have gotten in the way of my teeth."

~Tasselhoff Burrfoot ~

Dogar_Setton
05/15/2002 10:59 AM

OOC: Taurandhil split up and went to the Left a while ago, while Ryle and Dylar went to the right to find Kili and Bakie, so the four of us are presently in that frog-room... It was mentioned in my last post, and in Sylvan's too, i think........
Anyhoo, Yeah, you might as well tell Ryle and Dylar what you told Bakie. The way I ended off my post foreshadowed some interaction between us, and it would be kinda weird to go racing off to find Taur without you telling your news first. Oh well, the ball's in your court Icey, I'll be waiting for you or Tolk to continue from here.........

;) see ya soon
"If at first you don't succeed...... destroy all evidence that you tried."
- Dorothy (Dot) Kirby

The RPG Consortium - http://www.rpgconsortium.com