Sci Fi Plots
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Sci Fi Plots

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1
Dream_Knight
Sci Fi Plots

Contributor: Platinum: This member has donated over $200 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,841

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday October 7, 2005 5:34 AM
Anyone here have some good Sci-Fi plots that others can use? Let's see what how others are creatives in the sci fi genre of roleplaying. I personally love using time travel. I love giving my players a major headache.

One of the plots I use in sci-fi adventures is the good old classic, time travel comes in to the past to try and divert an event in the past which sets up some kind of chain reaction that will inadvertively cause some kind of disaster in the future. The players goal is to STOP that futuristic visitor from accomplish his/her goal. What happens has to and will happen right?

What are some of the plots you've used in your sci-fi adventures?

Chung
"You ever get the feeling sometimes, you're being punished for your sins?" - Jeff Bridges, The Fisher King
 Message #280915
Aaron
RE: Sci Fi Plots

Sweepsweek 1st Place: Member has won 1st place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 298

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday October 8, 2005 10:33 PM
Well one I had which I found to be hard to do was the whole questioning of reality. Having them act out a scene but then have it repeat several times, not waiting for a particular result but taking certain actions that happened and play them off in another mind scenario so they are unsure if they are taking part in a dream setup, or if its reality, or if its in a holopad.

Ultimately it was being hooked into a trance and being monitored while being ran through different scenarios...all the while they think they gain experience when in reality their characters where just sitting still daydreaming. LOL, that one will tick players off.
"As the LORD lives, and as you yourself live, I will be with you."
 Message #281008 - This was a reply to message #280915
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday October 9, 2005 4:05 PM
I'm a space opera GM. I love the space fighting! Gritty space battles and mystery solving are my main plotlines. Who are these bad guys, and why are they doing this? What must we do to survive? These are my questions of choice in a Sci-Fi game.

Aaron, I think you might be a bit unfair to your players by not allowing any XP for that sort of issue. I think it would be more appropriate to limit the use of the XP they have gained, by not allowing them to spend their points for specific concepts.

For example, if you are running that senario in d20 Sci-Fi rules, don't allow the players to spend the abilities, skills, and feat points on purely physical activities, i.e. if they hit the level giving them ability points, then they can only spend it on Chr, Int or Wis, not Dex, Str, or Con. By going through this senario, they have exercised their minds, but not their body.

I use this sort of rule for all my games, sci-fi or not. The player has to show me WHY this stat goes up, instead of another. You raised your level by smashing kobolds/ewoks with a big stick, no finese or what not? Only your strength, dexterity, or speed stats can be raised. The past few session have been mental/political, then you can't raise your strength, you haven't used it. See what I mean?
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #281031 - This was a reply to message #281008
Aaron

Membrum

Tuesday October 11, 2005 12:32 AM
Oh I understand completely, I do the same sort of thing. However in the scenario I presented I allowed for possibilities on their part as if their characters were at a higher level or had added abilities because it took place in their mind as they saw themselves. The reason they gained no xp from such an experience is that it was all basically a dream...I mean you wouldnt give a character xp for sleeping would you?
 Message #281103 - This was a reply to message #281031
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday October 12, 2005 5:44 PM
I don't know if I would see it as exactly the same as a dream. As you decribed it, it was a trance being effected by outside forces. As such, the players were working together, and overcoming and outside force. That is something I think deserves some type of XP award. Additionally, they were a team, working as a community. That is drasticly different than a player's dream.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #281302 - This was a reply to message #281103
Aaron

Membrum

Thursday October 13, 2005 12:56 AM
QUOTED  As you decribed it, it was a trance being effected by outside forces. As such, the players were working together, and overcoming and outside force.

True effected by outside forces, but they were never able to actually go against these outside forces. And I see where you say they should have gotten something, but I think another way to put it would be to say as if it were a like a giant computer game. Sure they were all hacked in playing on the same server but like I said if you wouldnt give points to a dreamy sleeper why should points be given to one who just plays video games all day...at best it provides mental stimulation but nothing that enhances skills.

They had fun RPing cause just like in a computer game their mental counterparts gained stats and whatnot, but once that scenario ended actually not another questioning of reality if it was really over...their characters were at their base stats with basically a pat on the backs for being good sports.

I aint one to give out xp freely though I do still care to have fun with it. Dont know if you IRL have walked 50 miles from one city to another but that in and of itself is an experience. And here in game we have characters do it as if it were nothing for a quest. Should we give xp just cause a char did a very long walk, or should they have to kill something. Does just reading about a new skill enable the char to do it or does it take the act of doing the skill to get it aquire? Many play by different rules and standards. To me, I apply things to real life and figure if something is really gained out of it. Playing a video game does not garnish much experience if any at all.

Though that would make for an interesting Sci Fi game....to be placed inside a video game. Where for some reason you become the character you created and must survive each grueling level to stay alive for you only have one life and no reset button. Have it set up so your connected on the internet and others have the same problem so its a multiplayer quest. But we all know how computers and connections laga nd fail...it could have that element were if one lags they could be cut and then deaed...or their connection fails and than the player is dead..the GM could just randomize what character that happens to at certain points in game.
 Message #281325 - This was a reply to message #281302
Arandur

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 983

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 13, 2005 10:52 AM
Out of curiosity Aaron if you were running a Matrix game (based on the movie of the same name) would you award experience for time spent in the Matrix? That is not the real world either. Most of our experience is memory of what is learned...

QUOTED  Though that would make for an interesting Sci Fi game....to be placed inside a video game. Where for some reason you become the character you created and must survive each grueling level to stay alive for you only have one life and no reset button. Have it set up so your connected on the internet and others have the same problem so its a multiplayer quest. But we all know how computers and connections laga nd fail...it could have that element were if one lags they could be cut and then deaed...or their connection fails and than the player is dead..the GM could just randomize what character that happens to at certain points in game.

Check out the RPG Virtual by Fantasy Flight Games. Its part of their Horizon series of RPG products which are basically one shot 'settings' books. Its about sentient programs and is very similar to the movie Tron. Its a really unique and interesting book I highly reccomend it.

They are pretty cheap are really good for ideas. The others in the series are Redline: A Mad Max post apocalypse setting (which is Excellent!), Mechamorphosis: A game where you play giant transforming robots (yes essentially a transformers RPG), Grimms Fairytales: where you play someone asleep and trapped in the nightmarish realm of childrens tales, Virtual A game where you play sentient programs living in the Computer realm (also an excellent product) and lastly Spellslinger: A western setting with elves and magic (I passsed on this one since I play Deadlands).

Arandur
I hereby reclaim this thread in the name of Dark Emperor Chung. All bow before his benevolent gaze or suffer his wrath and be slapped to death with a drunken french lobster. The RPGC will ALWAYS belong to the loyalist faction.

Arandur, Bearer of the Wooden Paddle of Retribution and Keeper of Emperor Chung's Swear-Word Jar
 Message #281373 - This was a reply to message #281325
Aaron

Membrum

Thursday October 13, 2005 10:55 PM
QUOTED  would you award experience for time spent in the Matrix? That is not the real world either.

I have not run a game based off of the Matrix movies but similar yes. However the at least from the movies the characters were able to do certain things inside the matrix while outside in the actual reality they failed to hold such abilities.

So to how it was in the game I ran, in the mind they were stronger and faster and had skills that of how they imaged their characters. Since such a period was just for that one short campaign they gained no experience which they could use in their actual reality.

QUOTED  Spellslinger: A western setting with elves and magic (I passsed on this one since I play

That idea I actually never heard of before. Slightly intrigued of how it works out. Thanks, ill look into em.
 Message #281442 - This was a reply to message #281373
Mica

Membrum
MP: 175

Wednesday October 19, 2005 9:18 AM
Some years ago I ran Ancient Greeks (Rolemaster). The characters were various demigods and heroes. One character however was a foreigner. They battled fearsome fanged lions, found nectre of the gods and battled the clockword minions of Hephaestus.

The final scene however had the player of the mysterious foreigner revealing his character as a time travelling android from the future and that the fanged lions were sabre tooth tigers, the nectre was pepsi cola and the minions were robots (the PC's demigod powers were later explained as primitive psi).

The following adventure had them running round Sherwood forest battling multiple Guys of Gisburne.
 Message #281901 - This was a reply to message #281442
stormydarkcloud

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 7

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 12, 2005 11:22 AM
I liked the plot from Star Ocean Till The End of time and use stories similar to it. You see the universe in this world is suddenly attacked by enemies that have power on a much grander scale than anything ever seen. It eventualy turns out that these people created the universe of the main charachters for there own amusement. When the 4D beings(the creators of the universe) saw that the people within were begining to develop at a level that rivaled their's they began to wipe out that universe.
But you as the main charachters have to go up against the creators of the universe and save your home.

That was one of my favourite sci-fi esq rpg plots.
 Message #286528 - This was a reply to message #280915

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1