PAGES: 1
TheShadowlord
Botching *sob*

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday June 6, 2011 2:25 PM
Played Ars Magica last night, for the first time in months.
I don't think I've ever seen as many botches before. At least 1/3 of my rolls were fucked.
For those who don't know, in AM you have to roll a 0 on a d10, followed by several more d10s (the exact number depends on what you were trying to do, 1-3 is normal, though I had up to 12 at one point). If any of the subsequent dice do not roll a 0, your first die roll just counts as a 0, in addition to other modifiers you may have.
If any of the subsequent dice roll a 0, you fuck up majorly. The more 0s, the worse it gets. Some of the highlights: instead of teleporting the crew of the pirate ship that attacked us 50 paces out into the water, I teleported them onto our deck, saving them many rounds of climbing to get everyone over. Also, I teleported me onto their ship, ensuring that I had to spend an additional round getting back to mine before I could take care of the pirates. By then, the entire crew of our ship, except the captain, was dead. And I got 8 warping points on top of that (Warping is BAD, and 8 points in one go is a lot).
2 hours later in game, trying to heal a companion who was at death's door, I fuck up and spend a lot of valuable rsources healing the nearly dead pirate next to him.
Then a major storm appears on the horizon, and I try to calm it. That works, but now a major part of the Mediterranian is permanently becalmed (which will lead to a truly staggering amount of cursing, and some of it will inevitably make its way back to me), and I can't dispel the magic I just cast.
I have to spend a lot of magic trying to get our ship to move at the speed of a rowboat, and botch the navigation roll, ending up sending us heading straight way out of the Mediterranian towards open ocean.
To top things off, calming the storm pissed off Poseidon, and we all know what happens to those poor morons who annoy the Greek gods.
*shudder*
I can't wait til next time.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #339883
Lich_Nexus
RE: Botching *sob*

MP: 7,037

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday June 7, 2011 2:54 PM
QUOTED  To top things off, calming the storm pissed off Poseidon, and we all know what happens to those poor morons who annoy the Greek gods.

Yeah, the crew offers him up as a sacrifice, in an attempt to placate the angry deity.

As I suggested to Angel, cheat next time.
Pierced from below, souls of my trecherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

The Classical Greeks were not influenced by the Classical Greeks!
 Message #339887 - This was a reply to message #339883
TheShadowlord
RE: Botching *sob*

MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday June 8, 2011 5:33 AM
Except the crew were already dead by this time. Otherwise I'm sure they would have tried.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #339889 - This was a reply to message #339887

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1