PAGES: 2 1 2
Tina_D
RE: Creating a Sci Fi Setting

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 8

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 31, 2006 2:46 AM
I enjoy fictional world building just as a hobby and while I have written my reply here with regards to world building, it also relates to any sci-fi setting - be it on board a spaceship or other.

Regardless of the specific genre, it always helps to make your world appear realistic or "believable" to the audience and using existing scientific knowledge as a basis for your own world's science does help, but its not imperative. A significant amount of existing science theory was considered "magic" or "an act of God" in another age, purely because it was unexplained. Using some of today's "magic" in a theorised acceptance in a future setting could assist in helping to make a sci-fi setting believeable as it shows that we (humans) have progressed further in our analytical thinking if your setting is going to be a futuristic earth with an evolved human race.

While it is also great to allow the imagination room to explore while you are building your fictional world (whether it be a futuristic setting or not), knowing the constraints of your world, what can't happen or what is impossible is usually a better starting place then trying to write up an entire section on its existing sciences and what can happen. Not having these restrictions can lead to inconsistences in your world and can provide room for doubt about your setting later down the track.

Rather than focusing on the differences in technology that exist in your sci-fi world (especially if it is far advanced from the world we currently live on) focusing on the similarities particularly those that will be found within the ego, cultures and interaction between intelligent species, will provide ample opportunity for assimulation.

make me smile... come visit me ...
Jacmus Prime...
The Age of Ahnicus
 Message #299723 - This was a reply to message #286451
Silveran
RE: Creating a Sci Fi Setting

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 31, 2006 4:24 PM
QUOTED  A significant amount of existing science theory was considered "magic" or "an act of God" in another age, purely because it was unexplained. Using some of today's "magic" in a theorised acceptance in a future setting could assist in helping to make a sci-fi setting believeable as it shows that we (humans) have progressed further in our analytical thinking if your setting is going to be a futuristic earth with an evolved human race.

This concept can most easily be seen, in my opinion, in the TV show "Babylon 5" in the episode dealing with the departing group refered to as the Technomages. They are a guild of "magicians" who use science and computer programing to create illusions, evokations, and transmutations. It's a great way to play with the sucject.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #299750 - This was a reply to message #299723

Listing 11 to 12 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2