PAGES: 1
letterscribe
MMO Roleplay

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 4

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday March 5, 2013 4:50 PM
Hey, I was wondering what are the community's thoughts on mmo roleplay.

Anything from GW2 to Wow and the works.

I've been a long time roleplayer myself and seeing as most mmos are considered to hold a big rpg side to them, I was thinking of pinpointing what are the preferred realms roleplayers like to hang in.
 Message #341729
TheShadowlord
RE: MMO Roleplay

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday March 5, 2013 8:32 PM
I've only tried DDO and TOR, so my experience is limited. As far as roleplaying, they are limited. There's not much more than go to place A kill a shit load of bad guys on the way and pick up/deliver/destroy/resuce/have sex with the McGuffin. That's when the quest itself isn't "kill a shittier load of guys".

Not exactly real roleplaying. STill, compared to some of the old school dungeons I've been running recently, they aren't too far off.
I will pick pen and paper over MMOs any day. Fun enough when you can't get a real group together, but they don't really compare.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341732 - This was a reply to message #341729
letterscribe

Initiare

Wednesday March 6, 2013 12:16 AM
I agree, pen and paper does seem to have a lot more options to pick from, being limited only by the chosen rules and DM's storytelling whereas you can't do that with conventional mmos.

Of course the universe in which the roleplay happens is also very important and without a DM to bend that universe around your character and actually offer some decent progression, the experience seems all rather too stale.

There was this one Wow server, private of course, focused on roleplay that a friend partook in a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, I don't recall its name but apparently the staff was organized as such to Storytell for individual guilds, groups or even members. It seemed too good to be true at first but the more I heard about it the more it sounded like a tabletop roleplay experience.

I'll try to find out what it was called for sure, but no promises.
 Message #341734 - This was a reply to message #341732
Dogma75

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 169

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 6, 2013 4:19 PM
I tried some MMOs over the years. Guild Wars, AoC, Eve online, ToR, WoW and some Asian stuff. Imho the best is ToR because of it's answering system. This gives the game some p&p rpg feeling.
It can't replace the real thing. Nothing compares to a group of 4 or 5 players and a gm.

In the region I live we have no lack of RPG players. There are two roleplaying clubs only 16 km distance between them, two shops and one yearly convention. If you expand the circle you ghave even more clubs and shops, so assume that we have several hundred players in 100 km radius. Thats a luxury, but a good one, because I don't have to play with the "idiots" and the rule fetishists. Story and ambience come first....
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato....
"This is where we fight. This is where they die." - King Leonidas in 300
 Message #341735 - This was a reply to message #341734
letterscribe

Initiare

Wednesday March 6, 2013 6:53 PM
There we go, found the wow roleplaying server.

Not to advertise it, but I've heard a lot of good things about it and I'm thinking of joining it myself. It seems that the staff running it pay close mind to the roleplay going on and make an effort to help from the role of DMs. I've also heard that trusted players themselves can easily DM with the help of some commands.

I'll give it a try and return with feedback.

Edit: I removed the address of the website. Until you have more involvement to the community, posting a link (IN YOUR THIRD POST) to a site which requests money is too close to spam for my tastes. If you continue to be involved, then I might return the link.

[[Edited by Silveran on Friday March 8, 2013 1:15 AM]]
 Message #341736 - This was a reply to message #341735
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday March 7, 2013 3:05 PM
On TOR I've stuck with the PVE servers. I just couldn't stand the ridiculousness of the RP crowd. Sounds strange coming from a die hard P&Per like me, but when you try to stay in character with people doing the same 'save the villagers' quest for the 3rd time in as many days I just can't keep a straight face.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341742 - This was a reply to message #341736
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 9, 2013 4:00 PM
The removal of the link will be permanent, pending review by the staff.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341747 - This was a reply to message #341742

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1