PAGES: 1
mythusmage
How Is It?

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 11

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday November 22, 2012 8:57 AM
The trope where RPGs are concerned is that they are a type of story-telling; could someone explain how? What do you do in a session that makes it story telling?

Please explain; no saying that someone said RPGs are story-telling, I want your explanation as to how RPGs can be story telling.
 Message #341468
TheShadowlord
RE: How Is It?

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday November 22, 2012 6:46 PM
1. It isn't a trope. This word gets overused and incorrectly used.

2. To put it very simply and briefly: role-playing is that. You take on a role, the personality and abilities of an imaginary person and dictate their actions in response to the situation descriptions of the Game Master (God. the one who decides how everything else but your character works). If you have ever read a book or watched a movie or TV series and thought "I would do X if I were in that situation" you have a basic idea. Or, as you have already understood, played make-believe.

The difference is that in RPGs there are rules. The rules are made to a) allow people to understand the abilities and track improvement of their characters, b) avoid annoying "yes it is" / "no it isn't" situations between the players and the GM. Roughly, the rules are there to add constraints to what you can phsycially do in the game, while most mental constraints are left up to the player.

The difference between tabletop RPGs and computer RPGs is that you have only the illusion of free will in computer games. The more advanced and complex a CRPG is, the better the illusion but in the end you are stuck with a number of preset paths and endings which you have no control over. The true freedom of action that is allowed in a table-top game is so far impossible to replicate on a computer, and likely will remain so until we can invent AIs.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341476 - This was a reply to message #341468
mythusmage
RE: How Is It?

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 11

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 23, 2012 4:13 AM
Thank you for the clear reply.

I must confess it looks like a trope to me. I also must confess that I largely agree with your descriptions of RPGs, though I would put it a tad more simply;

Roleplaying Game:

Really Simple: A game of Let's Pretend with fiddly bits.

Not So Simple: A pastime where the participants assume the role of imaginary persons living in an imaginary world, with guidelines and mechanics to regulate what is possible in the milieu.

Sufficient for most folks: A game where you play a role.

(And at that point I'll end it before the tryptophan knocks me for a loop. )
 Message #341477 - This was a reply to message #341476

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1