PAGES: 1
TheShadowlord
New Campaign

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday January 30, 2012 4:13 AM
After finishing off a less than successful STar Wars campaign, we are going to start on a new one.
In short, my Mandalorian Wars campaign was, despite a few fun moments, something of a disappointment. Mostly this was due to me losing sight of what makes Star Wars into Star Wars, lack of long term planning of what I wanted to happen, and perhaps my greatest failure as a GM, not following the maxim of "show, don't tell". Saying that the Mandalorians are a threat and mean doesn't really make the threat feel real. Showing from session to session the number of systems that have fallen since last time, showing the atrocities they commmit makes them memorable.

Anyway, new game, fresh slate and a new system. I've been itching to try Pathfinder since I first looked through the book. While not perfect, it takes everything I liked about D&D 3.x and makes it cooler, tidies up so many knotty problems and generally sticks to the maxim of rewarding players for doing things a certain way rather than punishing them for not doing it.
Perhaps most importantly, we are playing im Thunder Rift, a mini-campaign setting I have had almost since it came out (in 1992, but I didn't get it until '93-'94, I believe).

It's basically a moderately sized valley, probably less than 100 miles long and about half that wide, where you can walk to the adventure in the morning and return home in the evening (literally, in some cases). Chock full of history, monsters and adventuring opportunities, TR was designed to introduce players to the game system (good old Basic+ 0D&D) and give them a managable setting to get to know, rather than a larger campaign world, which could often be a bit confusing and intimidating to young newbies. As the setting probably intended, I'm putting it in Mystara, the good old Known World. Both myself and another of my players has fond memories of the setting, and are looking foreward to playing some old fashioned, simple dungeon crawling again.

Apart from the fun of uncomplicated hack 'n' slash, I'm looking upon this as an attempt to get back to basics of game mastery and realearn them. I've had the same players for years (even though one is my gf, the others don't have any other gaming groups, AFAIK), so I'm obviously doing something right, but I feel that so often I don't do things right enough to be really good.
So, wish me luck.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340642

Listing 1 to 1 of 1 Replies

PAGES: 1