PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 21 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
Lich_Nexus
RE: My First Dungeon Crawl

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,037

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 25, 2011 11:47 AM
Here is some shit of my own devising, please use it

Bloodlust
Necromancy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./ 2 levels)
Target: One living person
Duration: 1 round / level
Saving Throw: Will negates; (special)
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell causes an unholy thirst for blood within a target that fails to succeed a Will save. For the duration of the spell, any time the affected person witnesses the sight of blood, they immediately stop whatever acts they are currently engaged in, and begin to feed. After the affected person has fed for 1d4+ 1 rounds, they resume normal activities until they encounter a fresh blood source, within duration of the spell. If they are attacked, or required to protect themselves in any manner while feeding, they receive another Will check with +5 circumstance bonus. After the threat is removed, the person will continue to feed upon the blood. After the bloodlust passes, the effected target must succeed a Fortitude save or become nauseated.
Material Component: A bodily sample from an undead creature that feeds on blood.

Bone Mace
Necromancy
Level: Clr 2
Components: V, S, F
Range: Touch
Effect: One bone that becomes a mace
Duration: 10 minute/ level

The caster creates a bone mace from the bone of a humanoid being. When this spell is invoked, the bone transmutes into a row of vertebras topped with a humanoid skull, excluding the jawbone. This mace has a +1 enhancement bonus on attacks and damage for every five caster levels. Furthermore, there is also a 25% chance that when the mace is formed, the skull contains a jawbone. When a jawbone is intact, the skull can bite foes for an additional 1-point of damage per caster level (maximum of +10) upon impact. This weapon is considered evil for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. This spell confers no proficiency with the mace and either the caster may wield it or allocate it to another.
Focus: A 6-inch-long humanoid bone.

Shadow Bolt
Necromancy [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M, Blood
Range: Medium (100ft. + 10ft./ level)
Target: One or more creatures in a 15 ft. radius
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text

A force of negative energy that shoots forth from the your fingers and strikes any target within your range and sight. No attack roll is necessary as the bolts strike automatically. The bolts cause 1d6 points of damage plus a drain of 1 point of Strength each. The target creature is allowed a Fortitude save to avoid the Strength drain, but one must be made for each additional bolt. For every 3 caster levels of ability, you receive an additional bolt, to a maximum of 5 bolts. The effects are cumulative, so if a 10th level caster cast this spell on a creature, that creature would receive 3d6 points of damage, plus must make 3 saving throws or lose a point of Strength for every failed roll. The caster can choose to direct multiple bolts at multiple targets, as long as those targets are within a 15ft radius of each other.
Material Component: Paste made from the ectoplasm of a shadow mixed with the blood of the caster.
Blood Cost: 1d2 points of damage for each bolt.

Soul Fire
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, Blood
Range: 30ft.
Area: Cone-shaped conflagration
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None

This spell takes a bit of the casters life essence and turns it into an offensive attack charged with negative energy. When the spell takes effect, a portion of the caster's life force lashes out in a conflagration of purple and blue fire. However, this takes a toll on the caster; in the form of a loss of 1d4+1 hit points. The damage sustained by the target creature depends on the amount of damage taken by the caster. For each point of damage received by the caster, a d10 is used to determine damage. For instance, if the caster suffers 3 hit points of damage, the attack causes 3d10 points of damage. The soul fire will affect all targets within the area of effect and they receive no saving throw.
Blood Cost: 1d4+1 points of damage.

Souls of Black
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, Lich
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates

This spell focuses the supernatural power of the lich and taints the target with evil energy. When the lich touches the target creature, its deadly touch is negated as they focus those energies into the spell. This does not change the alignment of the target, but merely gives the impression of evil if divination magic is used on an affected being. Not only is the taint evil, but it radiates as super-natural evil, just like the aura of the lich. This variant curse cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed via break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.

Vile Vomit
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M, DF
Range: 15ft.
Area: Cone
Duration: One round/ level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a caustic substance to erupt forth from the caster's mouth. This spray of negatively charged fluid causes 2d6 points of damage to all creatures within the area of effect. For every 3 caster levels, the substance lasts for an additional round, dealing another 2d6 points of damage, unless somehow neutralized. Upon regurgitating this foul concoction, the caster must succeed a DC 15 Fortitude save or become fatigued.
Material Component: A flask of unholy water and a bit of rotten flesh vivisected from an undead creature; both of which must be consumed by the caster.
Divine Focus: Unholy symbol

"Gods on the throne must be watching from hell
Awaiting the mass genocide
Soldiers defeated by death from a smell
Bodies lie dormant no life
Rising new souls on the lands where they fell
Demons not ready to die
Nothing to see where the sleeping souls lie
Chemical Warfare"
- Slayer

Shrunken Ghast Head: This macabre item is created from the severed head of a ghast. After the head has been decapitated from the creature, special preparations are imbued upon the disembodied head. The brain cavity is cleared of all debris, and then a tiny sack containing a small candle is stuffed inside the opening. Afterwards, all the orifices of the head are sown shut with cords made of ghastly sinew. The head is then soaked in an alchemical solution, which causes it to shrink into roughly the size of a man’s fist. The final preparation contains the branding of an arcane glyph upon the forehead of the shrunken head. When the head is intentionally thrown, the stitches that seal the orifices break, causing the magic to take effect. The impact causes the head to burst open, releasing a stinking cloud spell and summons forth 1d3 vargouilles within the same round.
Moderate Conjuration [evil]; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, stinking cloud, summon monster V; Price 3,400 gp.

Shrunken Wight Head:
This is made in the same fashion as the ghast variety, with the exception of the base materials coming from a wight, as well as a slightly altered magical effect. When the head is intentionally thrown, the summoning magic contained within takes effect. Then impact causes the head to burst open, releasing a cloudkill spell and summons forth 1d4+1 vargouilles within the same round.
Moderate Conjuration [evil]; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, cloudkill, summon monster VI; Price 3,800 gp.

Ghoul’s Tongue Arrow: This arrow is made from the tongue of ghoul after it has been submersed in nitrate salts until it becomes mummified and hard as steel. The shaft is crafted from wood appropriated from the marker or coffin of a desecrated grave and the fletching must come from a bird that feeds on carrion, such as a raven or vulture. Any living creature struck by a ghoul’s tongue must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds.
Minor Necromancy; CL 5th, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, ghoul touch; Price: 250 gp.

Bone Arrow: This arrow shaft is crafted from the femur bone of a medium sized humanoid creature. The head is made in the primitive fashion of chipped obsidian and the fletching must come form a bird that has been animated into an undead creature. When this arrow strikes a living creature, it is immediately consumed as the magic takes effect and summons a skeleton. The skeleton is of the human warrior type and it materializes in a randomly determined spot adjacent to the target creature. The skeleton attacks the target creature until destroyed or 5 rounds have expired. If the skeleton manages to kill the target creature before the allotted time, it will then begin to attack the nearest creature.
Minor Conjuration [evil]; CL 5th, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, summon undead I; Price 250 gp.

[[Edited by Lich_Nexus on Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:13 PM]]
Pierced from below, souls of my trecherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

The Classical Greeks were not influenced by the Classical Greeks!
 Message #339839 - This was a reply to message #339838
DragonLady

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 310

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 25, 2011 9:06 PM
QUOTED  The players manage to end up getting transported to the deepest bowels of the dungeon, and find themselves face-to-face with an extremely unhappy female dragon. However, this Dragon Lady is in fact the dungeon's original inhabitant and has been out of sorts ever since Nexus set up shop and kidnapped one of her young dragonlets to ensure her cooperation.

If they're willing to go retrieve the young dragon, she will let them pass through her tunnels and take a shortcut to the lich's lair. If they manage to talk their way out and refuse to do it, she will let them go... only to regret it when they face off against Bubba the blackguard and he pulls a summon monster out on their asses and calls her up from the depths to teach them a valuable lesson about kindness to strangers... even man-eating monsters.

HEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!!! I love it!
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
 Message #339842 - This was a reply to message #339828
Lich_Nexus

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday May 26, 2011 10:19 AM
QUOTED  Congratulations Lichy-Poo! You've been immortalized....... until they kill you that is.

Wait... in hindsight I take offence! I've told you about some of my foe killing gambits. You really think some party of fresh meat bumbling around in my lair could fucking kill me!

You're lucky I don't turn you into a ghoul and feed you nothing but rotten orc ass for the rest of your unnatural life!

Message #339843 - This was a reply to message #339825
SisqAlpha

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 953

Thursday May 26, 2011 11:29 PM
Shut up before I summon the Dragonlady to fuck your ass up.

That's right foo! I'm not above pulling a gun in a knife fight.

QUOTED  If you plan on buying shit, Amazon is great. Since 4th came out, I've bought books from four dollars to twenty dollars, averaging around ten dollars.

Not anymore. That Libris Mortis that I bought used for eighteen bucks? Now it costs thirty.

QUOTED  Bubba and I could send you emails of shit to use, if lacking that resource.

In a heartbeat.

QUOTED  They also have to fight their way through his hairy, redneck blackguard servant Bubba first.

I better have a tobacco spit attack that blinds their asses.

Hey lich? How do you think Dragonlady got preggers with that baby you stole from her? Lawful evil or not, you still got a ass whoopin coming.

[[Edited by SisqAlpha on Thursday May 26, 2011 11:37 PM]]
"Tuna and bread. Tuna and bread."-----

"Fuck tuna and bread. Star Trek is on."
-------------------------------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~George S. Patton
 Message #339851 - This was a reply to message #339843
Lich_Nexus

Friday May 27, 2011 4:57 AM
QUOTED  Not anymore. That Libris Mortis that I bought used for eighteen bucks? Now it costs thirty.

I noticed that last night...

QUOTED  Hey lich? How do you think Dragonlady got preggers with that baby you stole from her? Lawful evil or not, you still got a ass whoopin coming.

Currently in the dungeon we are looting, there is a 1000 year old red dragon on the hit list. Never underestimate the red dragon slaying power of a hasted necromancer under the effects of fire shield and stoneskin. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes, but it'll be a few more sessions as I need two more levels before I'll consider such a juncture.

Message #339853 - This was a reply to message #339851
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Friday May 27, 2011 11:38 PM
Paid a very fruitful visit to the secondhand bookstore yesterday, added the 3.5 Psionics handbook to my arsenal (as per a friend's recommendation) and the 2E Spell Compendium for about five bucks each. Hells yes.

QUOTED  Great minds think alike. When I converted my Nexus character into a lich for my time of DMing, his phylactery was a magical sword. A gem set the pommel, with non-detection on it. For the ruse hide away a box with a programmed illusion. A box is a phylactery, and it belongs to the lich; so when they use locate object to find "the lich's phylactery", they find it and break it... programmed illusion upon breakage releasing a wraith-esque shadow, which moans and disipates. Put a defiled holy symbol in it so it radiates evil. Key phrasing being "the lich's soul recepticle", but who says that? Even so, it's protected by non-detection.

Hah! That's brilliant, actually. Love it.

Loving the custom spells. These poor lads are going to get so anally violated by Nexus... oh my.

QUOTED  Wait... in hindsight I take offence! I've told you about some of my foe killing gambits. You really think some party of fresh meat bumbling around in my lair could fucking kill me!

Well, this being a training dungeon I'm afraid the goal is for them to kill you... as much as you can be killed, anyway. As long as they don't realize the deal with the sword, though, you can always come back later for revenge.

QUOTED  Hey lich? How do you think Dragonlady got preggers with that baby you stole from her? Lawful evil or not, you still got a ass whoopin coming.

Oh my, a blackguard half-dragon kiddie... I love it.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #339856 - This was a reply to message #339853
Avenging_Angel

Saturday June 4, 2011 10:28 PM
So, we had our first warm-up round last night. It was just me and the two rusty veterans since everyone else actually had things to be doing on Friday night. (losers)

One guy had a level 1 chaotic neutral half-elven bard Ertu (short for Ert Wynnd n'Fyre, wiseass), the other was a level 1 lawful good human paladin named Lord Baldwin the Gullible.

They did pretty well overall. Since this is a level 1 dungeon they got to fight things like centipedes and dire rats at first. The bard got some shitty enough rolls to get his ass handed to him by the rats, poor bastard.

I figured I needed to step it a bit, so when they found a locked door the bard set to working on the lock while the paladin scouted ahead. He should have listened to me about search the door more carefully, though, because he set off a trap that dumped him into a 20-ft pit. He made his reflexes though not quite enough, so I judged he had caught an outcropping of rock on the side and had to climb back up. Meanwhile, the paladin left his buddy to his own devices and got jumped by a bunch 3 krenshar. And unfortunately they used their scare ability to paralyze him with fear, so the bard had to come running in to save him. Beyond that, they found the actual krenshar lair where we almost lost the bard to their ability for jump attacks when the paladin got scared... again.

Off to one side in the room full of corpses (read: treasure) the two last krenshar almost cleaned their clocks when neither of them could roll for shit and a half-dead krenshar just kept rolling incredibly. Fortunately, the paladin finally made his save against being scared by their screeches.
Much looting ensued and the bard being lame and old had to go to bed.

The best moment easily was from the paladin not quite understanding "Handle Animal":

Paladin: How big are krenshar?
Me: Big enough to eat you.
Paladin: Are they big enough to ride?
Me: ... you cannot Handle the damn krenshar to ride.
Paladin: You don't know that!
Me: Yes, actually, I do. And they're too small.
Paladin: Are you calling me fat?

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Saturday June 4, 2011 10:31 PM]]

- Renee Vivien

Message #339876 - This was a reply to message #339856
Lich_Nexus

Sunday June 5, 2011 9:49 PM
QUOTED  Loving the custom spells. These poor lads are going to get so anally violated by Nexus... oh my.

I point out souls of black; seeing you have a paladin in the party, that is what the spell is specifically for... by the time one figths a lich, they are going to have holy weapons. If the spell is sucessful, and they have a taint on them, that weapon is going to go apeshit, as if an evil character is wielding it. I also suggest it would fuck up their ability to channel positive energy i.e. no turning undead, laying on hands, etc.

QUOTED  He made his reflexes though not quite enough, so I judged he had caught an outcropping of rock on the side and had to climb back up.

Thats excellent DMing. Good storytelling and gives P.C.s an idea of what they need for success without plainly stating DC values. Cheating by P.C.s and DM is acceptable. As DM, i don't intent to waste my time on creating an adventure only to have it go to shit by shitty die rolls. Same for players as well, as character death because multiple crap rolls isn't fun.

Message #339877 - This was a reply to message #339856
Avenging_Angel

Friday July 27, 2012 12:31 AM
So, we're in the middle of a new summer campaign. My roommate is DMing, and I'm playing a half-orc cleric of Wee Jas, who's working her way towards becoming the scariest fucking necromancer possible. The rest of the party is a half-elf bard, Sir Timmy Tiberius Tiberum (we call him T3), a human rogue with the worst saving throws named Percinald of Birch Tree, and a more oddball guy playing a paladin who suffers split personality disorder and turns into a druid when his HP falls below 0. The paladin has an int score lower than most monsters, so we've actually beat him up to make him turn into the druid a few times.

So far the game's pretty awesome, though I think we're annoying the DM by not following his plot ideas at all and striking off somewhere completely else. The best part so far was the paladin - who has Exotic Dancer as his profession - managing to roll so badly on it at a tavern full of evil soldiers, they beat him and dragged him off to be executed. I ended up Death Touching the wizard with them and using Disguise Self to sneak the Bard into the fortress, where he distracted the soldiers playing music while the rogue poisoned their food. On our way out, the rest of the soldiers who had been on guard duty showed up, understandably upset that their friends were all dead. So, we massacred an entire army unit just because our friend can't dance, and we didn't want to pay the gold to get him free.

The DM's good at reacting to situations. We were traveling briefly with a lawful good noblewoman, with the power to shapeshift into a copper dragon, and going off my character's backstory and alignment, we didn't get along. The best part was when our argument in an underground prison escalated to the point she punched my character back into a wall, and I retaliated with the Sound Burst spell... which she missed her will save for, so I left before she came to. Then the DM decided my sonic damage had destroyed the building enough to bring it down on our heads, burying the people we were supposed to be rescuing.
Whoopsie.

Last time we played, we decided to ignore the plot the DM wanted us to follow in favor of raiding a nearby dungeon. Perhaps a tiny bit cranky at us, he decided to fill the dungeon with giant spider abominations...
They ambushed us dropping from the ceiling at first, and I was the only one who didn't get sneak attacked because of my darkvision. The druid, like an idiot, cast Flare which woke all the spiders, and the rogue (who cannot make saving throws, ever) was dazzled and got grabbed by spiders. The bard missed his throw too, and was grabbed from next to me. I rolled to see if I could grab onto him and get pulled up as well, and managed a nat 20, leading to a very, very unpleasant fight climbing on a web on the ceiling. The unfortunate bard missed his Climb as soon as I freed him and got knocked out again by immediately falling to the floor, while the rogue was sort of forgotten long enough to have tiny spiders erupt from his skin. The DM said it was a lesson in putting ranks into something useful so he might actually make a saving throw some time this century.

- Renee Vivien

Message #341113 - This was a reply to message #339877
Nix

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

Friday July 27, 2012 9:09 PM
As a professional rogue, I question your guy's ability to properly roll dice. Olidammarra favors us damnit! Meaning, of course, we can get away with fudging our rolls and lying through our teeth. Show me this knave so I may employ my use rope skill to teach him a lesson.
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #341115 - This was a reply to message #341113

Listing 11 to 20 of 21 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3