PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 21 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
Avenging_Angel
My First Dungeon Crawl

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:05 AM
So, it's summer and all of us poor little students actually can have lives outside class and work. As a result, we've decided a D&D game needs to get going since I bummed all the 3.5 books off a friend. The only problem? Our players are two (possibly three) newcomers, two incredibly rusty former players, and me. I've only DMed once before in a steampunk setting, and everyone hated me for my ridiculous dungeon, but I've been voted DM so here I am.

To help people get going, we're going to do a little initial dungeon crawl to get warmed up. Thus, they are going to face an ancient, evil arch-lich known only as Nexus - also possessed of a deadly artifact known only as the Slayer.

I'll be keeping a log here, but feel free to offer suggestions or comments since I'm basically new to this.

I'm trying to decide how difficult I want to make this, since it is basically an introduction... but I don't want this to be a stroll through the park. I think one of the first few tunnels they go through will introduce them to the joys of the gelatinous cube (since both of the old rusty players foolishly mentioned how much they hate them... hehe). Or several gelatinous cubes.
Depending on how much they're pissing me off at that point, it may be the same tunnel that is booby-trapped with a nice round of "transmute rock to mud" and "mud to rock". But maybe I'll save that for later on when Nexus' blackguard servant Bubba shows up.

And just to be a dick, I think I'll make sure that some item they require to move forward is inside of the cubes.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:10 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #339824
SisqAlpha
RE: My First Dungeon Crawl

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 953

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:18 AM
Liches are pretty gnarly for an intro run, especially one based off our precious Lichy. You may want to put them up against some minions first to test them and see if the are worthy of the Lich.

Congratulations Lichy-Poo! You've been immortalized....... until they kill you that is.

Suggestion: The Dread Necromancer out of the Heroes of Horror book. This is someone who is actively working towards becoming a Lich. This way you can still hit them with some nasty shit while still being able to adjust the level according to the players.

He needs to wake the F* up and give you some more stuff, he's the encycolpedia of nasty Necromancy.

[[Edited by SisqAlpha on Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:23 AM]]
"Tuna and bread. Tuna and bread."-----

"Fuck tuna and bread. Star Trek is on."
-------------------------------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~George S. Patton
 Message #339825 - This was a reply to message #339824
Avenging_Angel

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:22 AM
I'm also contemplating a fun little sidequest with another RPGC-inspired character.

The players manage to end up getting transported to the deepest bowels of the dungeon, and find themselves face-to-face with an extremely unhappy female dragon. However, this Dragon Lady is in fact the dungeon's original inhabitant and has been out of sorts ever since Nexus set up shop and kidnapped one of her young dragonlets to ensure her cooperation.

If they're willing to go retrieve the young dragon, she will let them pass through her tunnels and take a shortcut to the lich's lair. If they manage to talk their way out and refuse to do it, she will let them go... only to regret it when they face off against Bubba the blackguard and he pulls a summon monster out on their asses and calls her up from the depths to teach them a valuable lesson about kindness to strangers... even man-eating monsters.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:22 AM]]

- Renee Vivien

Message #339826 - This was a reply to message #339824
Avenging_Angel

Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:24 AM
QUOTED  Liches are pretty gnarly for an intro run, especially one based off our precious Lichy. You may want to put them up against some minions first to test them and see if the are worthy of the Lich.

Oh, of course. I'll have them running around chopping up minor-league undead before they get anywhere NEAR the real deal. They also have to fight their way through his hairy, redneck blackguard servant Bubba first.

- Renee Vivien

Message #339827 - This was a reply to message #339825
SisqAlpha

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 953

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:25 AM
*Falls overs laughing*

AvA's gonna fuck some people up! I can't wait to see this shit.
"Tuna and bread. Tuna and bread."-----

"Fuck tuna and bread. Star Trek is on."
-------------------------------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~George S. Patton
 Message #339828 - This was a reply to message #339826
Lich_Nexus

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,037

Wednesday May 25, 2011 4:53 AM
Sweet

Don't listen to Bubba, Nexus is a True Necromancer. Necromancer 3/ Cleric 3 is the basis to enter that 14 level prestige class that blends necromantic divine and arcane like a Mystic Theurge. In addition to nasty necromancy, I favor cold when using energy spells. Favored undead are skeletal in nature... and he's very Lawful Evil.

You are a power gamer, so use a few power gamer sggestions:

1. For ability scores, roll 4d6, rerolling 1's and 2's... then drop the lowest die.
2. Use the feat progression and ability score increse by level table as presented in the 4th Ed. players handbook. I can post that if needed.

Also, list your resorces. I have a shitload, and a majority of feats and spells I use come from various accessories. Bubba and I could send you emails of shit to use, if lacking that resource.

For instance: I have a metamagic feat from Dungeon #109 called Death Frost Spell. It can be applied to any necromancy spell. It adds the cold descriptor to the spell, plus adds 2d6 cold damage. If the spell allows a save, that outcome is also applied to the cold damage. I only use it for spells that don't have a saving throw, like ray of enfeeblement or vampiric touch. It takes up a spell slot one level higher than the base spell. It's prerequisite is spell focus (necromancy).

Or do or own shit. Just know I'm willing to help with tactics and powers and shit.

With gelatenous cubes, it's always fun to put one at the end of a false hallway with a pressure plate in the middle. When the plate is stepped on, it drops a portculis over the point of entrance/exit. Then the cube starts to move forward. Put a layer of dust/mud/rubble/etc. on the floor so it covers the plate, thus increasing the spot DC by +10ish.

P.S. What level are you starting the P.C.s at?

[[Edited by Lich_Nexus on Wednesday May 25, 2011 4:55 AM]]
Pierced from below, souls of my trecherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

The Classical Greeks were not influenced by the Classical Greeks!
 Message #339829 - This was a reply to message #339828
TheShadowlord

MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 25, 2011 5:05 AM
Ah, my first dungeon crawl. Hoow well I remember it. Nearly 20 years ago. 2 hours to make Pike, a Thief with 2 hp, and he fell in the very first battle ever. Against skeletons, on the very first blow.

Angel, you are honorbound as GM to make your players eternally resentful at how easily they died the first time around.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #339831 - This was a reply to message #339829
Lich_Nexus

Wednesday May 25, 2011 5:07 AM
QUOTED  They also have to fight their way through his hairy, redneck blackguard servant Bubba first.

In other words, a hobgoblin!

See Bubba, your my side-kick

Message #339833 - This was a reply to message #339827
Avenging_Angel

Wednesday May 25, 2011 10:02 AM
Oooh. I like this.

I'm running this all on 3.5, but I only have the basic three, so I'm looking to branch out... primarily with Book of Vile Darkness, Libris Mortis and Fiend Folio. Trying to decide if the Spell Compendium might be worth it, since I do love setting up assholish magic traps. Are there any others you'd recommend as good sources for dastardly ideas?

Also, as a cocky mofo you have hidden your phylactery within the handle of the magic sword Slayer. I'm hoping that nobody figures that out and someone takes the sword if they defeat you, so the soul of Nexus still inside it can slowly drive them insane and possess them, turning them on their friends at a critical moment in the next part of the campaign.

These poor fuckers better bring a cleric with them, if they want to get through some of the things I'm putting in their way. I'm really hoping most of them will be trying to be good guys, so that Bubba's special skills like Smite Good can come into play.

QUOTED  P.S. What level are you starting the P.C.s at?

Not sure yet. I want to start them fairly low since most of them are newbies and need to learn, but I'll give them plenty of opportunities to pick up experience before throwing much at them.

QUOTED  Angel, you are honorbound as GM to make your players eternally resentful at how easily they died the first time around.

I'm really, really hoping I get someone (or several someones) stuck in the stone floor and fed helplessly to gelatinous cubes. I promised the friend I got my books from I'd sacrifice a PC to the cubes in his honor, after all.

Also, my boy seems to be getting more and more concerned the longer I sit here reading the Monster Manual, making notes, and cackling to myself. The poor bastard caught a glance of me looking at the entry on dragon liches and went "You can't be serious."

Mwaha.

- Renee Vivien

Message #339837 - This was a reply to message #339833
Lich_Nexus

Wednesday May 25, 2011 11:24 AM
The Book of Vile Darkness is okay, but you'll need the Book of Exalted Deeds to balance out. I've only used one spell and two templates from BoVD, namely the Bone Creature template... just like the skeleton template from MMI, except they retain class abilities, skill points, and feats; and created via create undead opposed to animate dead.

Fiend Folio is good, so is Monster Manuel V. Spell Compendium is the shit! If you plan on buying shit, Amazon is great. Since 4th came out, I've bought books from four dollars to twenty dollars, averaging around ten dollars. A hint for that is to try and get as many as you can from the same source, even if there is a book for a few dollars less elswhere. Shipping adds up so do the math. Used sections in gaming stores and sometimes books stores is another good source.

Plus i can send you some shit via email.

QUOTED  Also, as a cocky mofo you have hidden your phylactery within the handle of the magic sword Slayer. I'm hoping that nobody figures that out and someone takes the sword if they defeat you, so the soul of Nexus still inside it can slowly drive them insane and possess them, turning them on their friends at a critical moment in the next part of the campaign.

Great minds think alike. When I converted my Nexus character into a lich for my time of DMing, his phylactery was a magical sword. A gem set the pommel, with non-detection on it. For the ruse hide away a box with a programmed illusion. A box is a phylactery, and it belongs to the lich; so when they use locate object to find "the lich's phylactery", they find it and break it... programmed illusion upon breakage releasing a wraith-esque shadow, which moans and disipates. Put a defiled holy symbol in it so it radiates evil. Key phrasing being "the lich's soul recepticle", but who says that? Even so, it's protected by non-detection.

QUOTED  I'm really hoping most of them will be trying to be good guys, so that Bubba's special skills like Smite Good can come into play.

Have the blackguard wield the sword, that will add to the ruse. But he should be lawful evil as well as to not fuck me over, possessing my phylactery and all.

[[Edited by Lich_Nexus on Wednesday May 25, 2011 11:31 AM]]

Message #339838 - This was a reply to message #339837

Listing 1 to 10 of 21 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3