PAGES: 3 1 2 3
AnimusAniKorSaxcian
RE: Your Favorite Sci-Fi RPG

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 488

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 21, 2006 10:56 PM
Here is my dillema, I do love Warhammer 40K, and I adore Star Wars, but I have always for some reason despised the pen and paper die systems of DnD and others. Now I have minorly delved into table top war games, I have never held interest in these die based RPG systems.

Now on teh otehrside i have played video games and usch but they still dont provide me with enough freedom. THe only games i find true pleasure in are these Play by Post Free form RP's. However with this said it seems no one really takes me as a serious RPer when I say free form is my major style.

I have done everything from Star Wars TGR forums a old connection to Nation States, to Tazlure now, and this forum here. I love to write, I dont wnat to RP with my mouth, or act it out, or role on everything I do, I want to write it with others, What are your thoughts on my problem and dillema.

Am I a true RPer still???
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #300648 - This was a reply to message #286452
SailorCallie

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 4

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday September 1, 2006 4:16 PM
Robotech for me.
 Message #301081 - This was a reply to message #300648
Dogma75

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 169

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 30, 2007 4:07 PM
Where man meets magic & machine!

Shadowrun rulez i have to say. Never saw such a good background by a game playing on mother earth. And then the connections to Earthdawn.

It's really a deep Background story there with all the elves and dragons and the megacorps. It's not only about runs. You can do mythical adventures or horror as you like.
And so much more...

After I read a bit on the blog I posted today I get a little (big) taste for it again...

[[Edited by Dogma75 on Tuesday January 30, 2007 4:08 PM]]
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato....
"This is where we fight. This is where they die." - King Leonidas in 300
 Message #308711 - This was a reply to message #301081
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Saturday August 15, 2009 10:51 PM
Wow...times have changed since my last post on this thread.

Let me fix some things I said. I now play DnD once a week, and have even delved in DMing. With this said, I wish the Star Wars dice game was less structured. Every time I look at it I wish I was able to create a character and a story like in DnD. Correct me if I am wrong. Because if there is any good in the game I will jump on the band wagon right now since I love Star Wars. I also love Warhammer 40K, although it is too expensive. Any suggestions for a huge Star Wars fan. I really wish their was a game that was fun, open, and accessible in that medium.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #334057 - This was a reply to message #308711
Palthinon

Initiare
MP: 3

Sunday September 6, 2009 11:51 PM
For me I would have to say West End Star Wars, Shadowrun(In a campaign now set in vegas and I am loving it), and Traveler are the three biggies for me. However once you step down a tier I could go on listing a ton of other games I enjoyed playing and running. Aftermath! comes to mind right away as does Robotech. However I cant even look at a Palladium book anymore without feeling physical soul ripping pain.
 Message #334566 - This was a reply to message #334057
Arandur

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 983

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 1, 2009 6:42 PM
Been playing in a Dark Heresy campaign lately (the RPG for warhammer 40k). Have to admit the system isn't the greatest because like the Warhammer fantasy version, it tries on many levels to emulate elements of the tabletop wargames. But the setting itself is great, especially if you like your science fiction dark and fatalistic...

Arandur
I hereby reclaim this thread in the name of Dark Emperor Chung. All bow before his benevolent gaze or suffer his wrath and be slapped to death with a drunken french lobster. The RPGC will ALWAYS belong to the loyalist faction.

Arandur, Bearer of the Wooden Paddle of Retribution and Keeper of Emperor Chung's Swear-Word Jar
 Message #335351 - This was a reply to message #334566
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Wednesday October 7, 2009 11:56 AM
I really wish they would make a solid Warhammer 40K system. The setting is so freaking awesome to sound like a ten year old fat kid just given an all day pass to a candy store.

Message #335406 - This was a reply to message #335351
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Wednesday October 7, 2009 11:56 AM
I really wish they would make a solid Warhammer 40K system. The setting is so freaking awesome to sound like a ten year old fat kid just given an all day pass to a candy store.

Message #335407 - This was a reply to message #335351
Arandur

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 983

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 8, 2009 10:59 PM
Just picked up 3 new Sci-Fi RPGs today.

Eclipse Phase
Rogue Trader (Warhammer 40k)
Battletech -A Time of War (Beta release)

And the collection just keeps growing...

Arandur
I hereby reclaim this thread in the name of Dark Emperor Chung. All bow before his benevolent gaze or suffer his wrath and be slapped to death with a drunken french lobster. The RPGC will ALWAYS belong to the loyalist faction.

Arandur, Bearer of the Wooden Paddle of Retribution and Keeper of Emperor Chung's Swear-Word Jar
 Message #335432 - This was a reply to message #335407
tallis_rhul

Initiare
MP: 1

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday January 24, 2011 9:10 PM
Hi guys,

Just joined the site today and found this link on the 'cover' page after I registered. I've been roleplaying for around 11 years if you don't count the old Steve Jackson/Ian Livingstone books, and I've had the opportunity to try a good couple of Sci-Fi roleplaying games during that time. I think my top 4 are...

1) UFOP: Starbase 118, which is a Star Trek PBeM RPG (http://www.starbase118.net/) - I've found it to be a great script-based roleplay which lets me flex me creative muscles as a writer as well as roleplaying daily.
2) Cyberpunk World of Darkness - A mate of mine who's a massive fan of Blade Runner decided to combine it with the traditional WoD style roleplaying he used to do when he was at school. Had a lot of fun as a Werewolf/Hit Man. You can tell my GM had a wicked sense of humour as he made sure there was a cop in our group.
3) Decipher's Star Trek RPG - yes, I'll admit I'm a trek nut! Simple system once everything's rolled up, although Character creation is pretty elaborate.
4) Justifiers - We ran this with a BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth) Tri-stat system, which was great fun. I believe my character got eaten by velociraptors on a space station. I'm pretty sure you'll sympathise when I say I didn't see that one coming...
 Message #339159 - This was a reply to message #335432

Listing 11 to 20 of 22 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3