Dropping by to say hello
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Dropping by to say hello

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 33 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4
Silveran
RE: Dropping by to say hello

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday September 14, 2012 12:09 AM
Well, this is nice. Someone comes back and starts talking to us, and my computer is deciding to go insane. So, I'm going to be in and out for a while....

Of course, we all get compared to either blood-sucking ghouls or emo-goth wannabes in the process... so, that's not so nice. I blame you, Norwegian. You are responsible for me cutting myself and this silly haircut I have now.

But, it's good to hear you are having ideas with your art, GD. I hope the unemployment doesn't prove a hardship.

By the way, does anyone want a postcard? The wife and I are getting back into penmanship and are practicing Spincerian and Copperplate Script, respectively. This caused us to invest in some nice fountain pens, and then her online knitting friends started a postcard exchange. So, I started making postcards.

If you want one, post, PM, or e-mail me your mailing address at deirachel@yahoo.com (international and PO Boxes are cool, too). Tell me if you want a funny (general), funny (scifi), funny (horror), or a pin-up girl (SFW), too.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341257 - This was a reply to message #341256
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 16, 2012 9:41 PM
Or bloodsucking, incestuous, really bored and secluded weirdoes (that's what you get for reading Tanith Lee; great stories, but weird).
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341262 - This was a reply to message #341257
goddess_dawn

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,249

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday September 21, 2012 2:28 AM
Postcards you say? Hmmm sounds interesting! I might take you up on a pin up and/or sci fi.....

Shadow, other than weirdly great stories, what else can you say about Tanith Lee?

Arandur is doing well for those interested
Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

i'm going sane in a crazy world.....
before you insult someone, you should first walk a mile in their shoes.

That way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
 Message #341274 - This was a reply to message #341257
TheShadowlord

Friday September 21, 2012 3:39 AM
Um, let's see.
Tanith Lee has two hang-ups in her adult writing (she also writes children's literature, of which I have only read a couple, the Piratica series, which was amusing).
The two hang-ups, and both usually occur in the same story, are incest and power/divinity that uses mortals and immortals as tools, rather than being tools.

She is a bit hit and miss. Stories like "Electric Forest" and "Drinking sapphire wine" are not, to my mind, all that good. Stuff like the Lionwolf series or the Vis series are decent enough, but not great. Of course, compared to most authors they are excellent.
Other series, like her Flat Earth series (especially this one), the Secret Books of Paradys, Secret Books of Venus, the Birthgrave series, Kill the dead, the Blood Opera and several others are superb.
Basically, she is the one of the best writers of Gothic fiction alive. She has the atmosphere down pat without making it too dated, too derivative or too emo.
She writes other stuff than that, though. Flat Earth is more like Dunsany or Lovecraft's Dream stories than Poe or Lovecraft's Mythos stories.

The Blood Opera series, which I alluded to in my previous post, is Lee's take on vmapires in a modern setting. Take the idea of Vampire: the Masquerade of ancient beings that are bored, lethargic and insular, without the insane power levels or the Angst(tm). Intrigue, plots, murder and passion. It's basically the best take on modern vampires I've come across, second only to "I am Legend".

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341277 - This was a reply to message #341275
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday September 22, 2012 8:42 AM
Just need an address GD.

Message #341281 - This was a reply to message #341274
Lich_Nexus

MP: 7,037

Tuesday September 25, 2012 8:00 AM
Hello GD...
Pierced from below, souls of my trecherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

The Classical Greeks were not influenced by the Classical Greeks!
 Message #341286 - This was a reply to message #341281
goddess_dawn

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,249

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 25, 2012 9:17 PM
Shadow, I'll have a look. I'm swamped with art books at the moment. I just picked up some pin-up art books, some Alex Ross, and Bruce Timm - not to mention the technical books (blech) - so after i get to a point to which I'm satisfied with my portfolio I will grab a book or two - shouldn't be long tbh =)

Silv, I'll send it over in a bit!

Lich, hiya sugarbooger!!
Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

i'm going sane in a crazy world.....
before you insult someone, you should first walk a mile in their shoes.

That way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
 Message #341291 - This was a reply to message #341286
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Tuesday September 25, 2012 11:43 PM
QUOTED  Or bloodsucking, incestuous, really bored and secluded weirdoes (that's what you get for reading Tanith Lee; great stories, but weird).

Aaaaaaand sign me up.

QUOTED 
If you want one, post, PM, or e-mail me your mailing address at deirachel@yahoo.com (international and PO Boxes are cool, too). Tell me if you want a funny (general), funny (scifi), funny (horror), or a pin-up girl (SFW), too.

You have no idea how happy getting non-student loans mail would make me. In like a sin.

QUOTED  I just picked up some pin-up art books, some Alex Ross, and Bruce Timm - not to mention the technical books (blech) - so after i get to a point to which I'm satisfied with my portfolio I will grab a book or two - shouldn't be long tbh =)

Good lord, has art school claimed another soul here? I caught myself fondling an art nouveau book trying to justify spending my entire grocery budget for the month on yet another art book. It just feels so right... so hungry, but so right.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341296 - This was a reply to message #341291
TheShadowlord

Wednesday September 26, 2012 2:50 PM
My gf got a big Alphonse Mucha book this summer. She's been drooling all over the pages ever since then.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341297 - This was a reply to message #341296
Silveran

Thursday September 27, 2012 4:43 AM
Still no addresses to send them to...

Message #341301 - This was a reply to message #341297

Listing 11 to 20 of 33 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4