The Bermuda Triangle
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: The Bermuda Triangle

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1
Silveran
The Bermuda Triangle

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 2:45 PM
Over the years, there have been a strange series of occurances in a patch of the mighty North Atlantic. Touching with apexes at Bermuda in the North, Miami, FL in the West, and San Juan, PR in the Southeast, lies the patch of open sea commonly called The Bermuda Triangle. Also called The Devil's Triangle, it is one of a group of so called "triangles" known for the misterious disappearances. The another is the "Devil's Sea" off the coast of Eastern Japan.

Of the most common of the unusual occurances in this section of ocean is the unexplained disappearance of various craft, both naval and aeronautic.

We will first discuss some of these more famous disappearance.

The First Modern Disappearance: The US Navy is stricken

On May 7, 1910, the shipbuilding firm William Cramp and Sons, of Philadelphia, PA launched a vessel named after one of the monsters of Aniquity. The USS Cyclops, a collier, was slipped into the water. By November 7th of the same year, she entered service with the Navy Auxillary Service. On May 1, 1917, she was commissioned for full US Navy status, as a part of the United States war effort with WWI. Lieutenant Commander G. W. Worley commanded this second of the Cyclops colliers. On January 9th, 1918, she set sail for the waters off the Brazillian coast, to support Brittish ships performing duties in the area. On Febuary 16th, 1918 she began her final voyage. After leaving Rio de Janiero, Brazil, she touched port on the 3rd and 4th of March in Barbados. After leaving port, she has never been heard from again. No records of Central Powers military activities claim to have sunk her. As one of the greatest mysteries in the history of the US Navy, the USS Cyclops simply disappeared with all 306 passengers and crew.

The Second Disappearance: The Birds never to Roost again

On a clear afternoon, December 5th 1945 at 1410 hours, a training flight of five TBM Avenger Torpedo Bombers left U.S. Naval Air Station, Ft. Lauderdale, FL on a routine navigation training exersice over the water. The commander of this ill-fated mission was Lt. Charles Taylor. Over the flight pattern, however, there were some scattered showers, low speed gale-force gusts, and mild to moderate waves. But, there was a problem brewing... Lt. Taylor's compass didn't work. He decided he knew the area very well, and would able to lead the flight by sighting the landmarks (a process known as Dead Reckoning). However, the weather very quickly developed making Lt. Taylor's dead reckoning not an option. By 1600, a radio communication was received indicating that Flight 19 was lost. The radio communication was picked up by a listening station on the US coastline, but shore-to-squadron communications were never fully established, due to static, weather, and radio broadcast interferance from Cuba. After this communication, Flight 19 was never heard from again.

The U.S. Navy immediately launched a search and rescue mission, by all available of personell and equipment, air and sea. No trace was found of the flight or crew.

But, this story isn't finished. December 5th at 1930, a PBM patrol plane was launched to start the search and rescue operation. Approximately 23 seconds after take off, the Martin Mariner Flying Boat exploded. No wreckage or bodies were recovered from this craft, either.

The Third Disappearance: "Here's to the Men forever on Patrol

On December 19, 1959, a new warship, sponsered by Mrs. Elizabeth S. Morrison slipped quietly into the North Atlanta in Groton, Conn. With a length of 251 feet, 9 inches, a beam of 31 feet, 7 inches, and displacement of upto 3,500 tons, a new shark entered the briney deeps. Commissioned on July 29, 1955, the USS Scorpion (SSN-589) under Commander Norman B. Bessac was the sixth submarine to carry the name Scorpion. In May 1968, she started the journey home from a Mediterranean deployment with the 6th Fleet. On May 21, 1968, her skipper, whom had won a Navy Commendation Award two years earlier, radioed in her position as 50 miles south of the Azores. Six days later, the US Navy officially declared her over due at Norfolk. An immediate search and rescue mission was launched and in October, the USS Mizar found peices of her hull lying on the bottom in over 10,000 feet of water...400 miles southwest of the Azores. For an unknown reason, a normally very stable Mark 37 is presumed to have exploded, destroying the boat. This event was recorded across the Atlantic Basin by hydrophone listening systems. But, the question remains, why did the torpedo explode?

The most recent: Lloyd's of London involved in a Cessna disappearance

From the Lloyd's of London Casualty List 14 July 1999:

QUOTED London, Jun 14 -- Following received from Coast Guard Miami, dated Jun 11: The crew of a Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter is searching for two people after their single-engine airplane disappeared from the radar screen, about three miles north of Great Harbor Cay, Bahamas. The Nassau Air Traffic Control Tower notified the Coast Guard Command Center in Miami at 1447, today, that a Cessna 210 was missing. The aircraft was en route to Freeport, Bahamas from Nassau. The aircraft reportedly had six lifejackets on board. --

Now, disappearances aren't the only thing which the Bermuda Triangle is reputed to be guilty of to date. Unusual weather conditions such as unexplained turbulance, magentic compasses acting unusual, supposted teleportation. The Bermuda Triangle is a mystery which began with Christopher Columbus (he reported strange lights, a fire which crashed into the sea, and compass problems) and will continue into the future.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #286368
Damien
RE: The Bermuda Triangle

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 3:08 PM
All I can say is this:

Every since I was a little kid the 'unknown' and the occult have always interested me and I studied this stuff a lot in those earlier years. Of all the 'mysteries' -- many of which I don't feel are very mysterious -- the Bermuda Triangle scares the friggin' shit out of me. It's documented, so we can't deny it, and it's totally unexplainable. As a man of logic... man that just bothers me.
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #286900 - This was a reply to message #286368
Novaximus

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,622

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 7:03 PM
I've heard a theory that the bermuda triangle is a focal point of extreme electro magnetic activity which is spawned from another planet (probably greater size) coexisting in the same space as ours, yet in another dimension.

I've heard tale of these "vortexs" in other areas with the Bermuda triangle being the largest in size. Each vortex apparently is about 350 miles apart from the other. They follow an eliptical circle which touches upon Bermuda, Oregon, and Egypt among other places.

There's some sort of guide tour from what I hear that takes you to the vortex in oregon. From what I heard of eye witness accounts, this vortex can't be seen or felt. BUT when you're standing in it, people on the outside look distorted in height. Watchs stop and or act irregular. Some even claim that the events outside the vortex seem to pass slightly faster.

This is a quick link I found on it. But where I'm getting most of my info is from a really late night radio program.

[[Edited by Novaximus on Sunday December 18, 2005 7:04 PM]]
± Sometimes to become great one must become small ±
 Message #286915 - This was a reply to message #286900
Novaximus

Sunday December 18, 2005 7:15 PM
Better yet take a look at this page. It includes photos of the vortex.

Strange shit. Let me tell ya.

I mean look at the way that girl in the blue shirt is standing. She would have to be falling over if that were a true angle. Unless if that dude is on an angle...but you try to figure it man.

[[Edited by Novaximus on Sunday December 18, 2005 7:18 PM]]
 Message #286917 - This was a reply to message #286915
Damien

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

Sunday December 18, 2005 9:40 PM
Looks to me like the building was just designed specifically to fuck with you. Nothing really strange about that. Stupid, maybe, but not strange.
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #286925 - This was a reply to message #286917
Novaximus

Monday December 19, 2005 5:55 AM
I thought the same thing. That what I'm looking at is a clever little fun house. But wouldn't the broom still fall over? Unless if it has unaturally stiff bristles. lol Which does make you wonder why they always use the broom to display their balancing effect.

I can understand trickery but what I don't understand is the eyewitness accounts beleiving in it when they're actually there to see it. In a second I'd be able to tell if the room is aiding these effects or not.

But if whole ships can dissapear in the Bermuda...well who the hell knows what's possible.

[[Edited by Novaximus on Monday December 19, 2005 6:07 AM]]
 Message #286960 - This was a reply to message #286925
Insano

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,517

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday December 20, 2005 11:33 AM
Heres what I recall hearing about a theory of the Bermuda triangle. Unfortunately I can't remember where I heard it from, so I'm afraid you guys will just have to take my word on this that I'm not making it up. Alright, here it goes...

From what I heard the seabed within the region of the Bermuda Triangle contains a high amount of methane. Every once in a while this methane will rise through the seabed and be released into the ocean. Due to the gasses chemical content, it is more buoyant than air. Thus, any ship either air or sea, which passes over top of this high content of methane, loses buoyancy and sinks/crashes. Anyways, thats what I heard. Still, I wouldnt want to take a three-hour tour through the triangle.
This Major Tom to Ground Control, I'm stepping through the door.
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way, and the stars look very different today.
For here am I sitting in a tin can, far above the world.
Planet Earth is blue, and there is nothing I can do.
David Bowie - Space Oddity
 Message #287017 - This was a reply to message #286960
ingom

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 2

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday January 20, 2007 1:29 PM
I don't consider myself an expert, but I've heard a lot about the Bermuda Triangle from watching different television programs. I still don't know what to believe. It is very odd that all of the supposed happenings have occured in areas like the Triangle, but sometimes I think that ideas get planted in our heads and then we make things seem suspicious even when they aren't because that's what we want to believe. I'm not saying that I believe or that I don't.
Most of the disappearences that I've heard of do seem strange not to mention the people that have come through an encounter in the Triangle. Many of them report being in a swirl of clouds that changes colors and the compasses on their airplanes no longer function. Also, some say that after this experience they are an unexplainable number of miles away from where the "event" started or that they have lost time.
I even remember hearing on a television program that the family of one of the men on a "missing Navy flight" received a telegram days after he was supposed to have gone missing that said something like: Don't worry I am still alive. It also said something like don't beleive the reports that I am dead.
 Message #308306 - This was a reply to message #287017
Tamachi

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 154

Tuesday July 24, 2007 2:41 PM
I'll have to agree with Damien on the 'vortex' theory, because that looks more like an illusionary house than anything, and I'm also a firm believer in the old saying, 'Believe half of what you hear, and none of what you see.' In most cases, that saying holds true...

At any rate, I have heard the same theory of which Insano speaks, and I probably watched the same show that he did, but I saw another more focused on the methane effects on aircraft. While the methane would sink a boat, its not so much the buoyancy of the plane as it is the engine. When methane was introduced into an engine of the same specifications of the Foxtrot disappearance as I seem to recall it being named on the show, or the bomber training flight as listed here, the engine seized up and died. That right there would explain the planes disappearances...

And I know that methane has been found under the Bermuda Triangle, but I do think that something else is going on besides just that. It just seems that if that is the answer, there would be a lot more reported disappearances than what we have on record. That's just me though...
 Message #319000 - This was a reply to message #308306
SisqAlpha

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 953

Wednesday July 25, 2007 4:49 PM
The Oregon vortex isn't too far from where I live, it's just outside of a place called Gold Hill and my mother told me about it when I was a kid. Water appears to run uphill, watches behave strangely, and the trees grow into unnatural configurations (odd angles and corkscrews and such). The house is probably a clever construction, made to enhance the oddness of the place and the water flowing uphill has been shown to be an optical illusion created by light refracted through the moisture in the air. Can you imagine what it was like for the first person who walked into that area? Without the benefit of the scientific education that we have today, it probably freaked them the fuck out lol.

As for the Bermuda Triangle/Devil's Sea, there's a new theory out that you may want to look into Silveran. One of the channels (National Geographic, Science, Discovery, perhaps even the History channel) just did a show on this new theory. They think that there may be a possibility that the two places are linked by a wormhole and that this may account for the disappearances in that area. I wasn't able to catch the program myself, but I think it might be an interesting thing to look into.
"Tuna and bread. Tuna and bread."-----

"Fuck tuna and bread. Star Trek is on."
-------------------------------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~George S. Patton
 Message #319071 - This was a reply to message #319000

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1