The Validity of Astrology
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: The Validity of Astrology

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1
Shallandra
The Validity of Astrology

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Aer: Savant
RK: 11
MP: 4,650

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 2:45 PM
Are you someone who reads your daily horoscope to see what the day will bring - or someone who reads it the day afterward just to prove it's all a sham? Or do you think some parts of the astrology belief system have merit while others do not?

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. While I personally don't believe in the ability of stars to predict the future -I do think there's some merit to the astrological sign/personality thing. I'm a Leo, and have a lot of traits of a typical Leo. But I also believe that I influence my own future more than the stars can.

Where do you stand on this issue?
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti

"Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet." ~ Chinese Proverb

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton
 Message #286365
TheShadowlord
RE: The Validity of Astrology

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday February 28, 2006 5:22 AM
Of course the stars affect my life in a major way. They are very nice to look at, and give me great pleasure when I do so. Their light, however minimal, serves to cause my body to react to them. I read articles on stars every now and then, and learn more stuff about them. The relative positions of stars and planets do not in any way affect the future in more interesting ways than "because the moon is between us and the sun, there will be an eclipse".

I usually don't bother. I will only read a horoscope if there is nothing else to do.
I have yet to see one that was detailed enough to be worth bothering, yet still got it right.

As for the 'traits-sign' thing....it's bunk, too. Most of those traits are so general and so universal it would be hard not to fall into those categories. It's like reading a textbook on diseases (whether mental or physiological) and noticing you have all the symptoms - you are a bit impressionable, and think that because they 'sound about right' you are suffering from all the diseases mentioned.

Weird Al's song "Your horoscope for today" perfectly sums up my feelings on the matter.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #292087 - This was a reply to message #286365
Arpentec

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 6

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 11, 2006 4:49 PM
I don't take horoscopes seriously..but they are sort of fun if you're crouched in the back of Borders with a friend. I never really went for all the zodiac signs thing either...I'm a Libra and I swear, I am the polar friggin' opposite of what it says I am. Simply put, I don't begrudge someone who likes to think that their future is written in the stars, but I prefer to spend my time down on the ground, where my life is always in my hands.
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

When people do not respect us we are sharply offended; yet deep down in his private heart no man much respects himself.

- Mark Twain
 Message #292584 - This was a reply to message #292087
Novaximus

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,622

Saturday March 11, 2006 6:14 PM
I wonder how much consistancy there is amongst various newspapers and other sources.

The problem with horoscopes is that 12 fortunes must be divided amongst a planet of 5 billion people. So that would mean me, along with 400,000,000 other taurus's, will have the same daily problems/fortunes? Only one of us can win New Jersey's pick 6 and I garauntee that I can pick any 10 fellow taurus's and find that at least 2 of them didn't have a prosperous day as predicted.
± Sometimes to become great one must become small ±
 Message #292587 - This was a reply to message #292584
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday March 12, 2006 12:37 AM
That's because there aren't just 12 fortunes.

Real Astrological work-ups don't rely only on the Sun Sign (the primary sign, the one most people recognize). They actually include all 13 primary heavenly bodies. In order of importance:

Sun
Acendant (Earth) (Sign rising from the horizon)
Moon
Venus
Mars
Mercury
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto
Minors (major comets, large asteroids, unknowns)

One full astrological chart is very detailed and relies not only on the date of one's birth, but also the time and location.

Recently, there have been studies (granted very limited, and very few) which show a minisucle change in the cerebrospinal fluid when it is exposed to specific gravities. These changes in human behavoral patterns which is believed to be the causes of the so-called "full moon syndrome". Also, it has been shown if a subject is submerged the effects are lessened if not completely eliminated. These effects are believed to distort neural pathways developed by the experiences of the subject causing the change in behavior.

Additionally, astrophysics tells us the position of all the heavenly bodies (such as planets, stars, and even distant galaxies) have an effect on the gravitational field of the Earth.

Astrology is really more about the prediction of one's personality and behavior more than a divination of future occurances.

With this information, do you see there may be some effect of the minute changes in the Earth's gravitational field which may effect a child's future behavioral patterns at the time of birth, due to the specific effects caused by the local gravitational field on the cerebrospinal effecting neural pathways?

It's not something that has been proven or disproven, yet. As such, can you entirely discount the possiblity astrology might have validity?

I don't believe it would be wise to do so.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #292605 - This was a reply to message #292587
TheShadowlord

Tuesday March 14, 2006 4:07 AM
Disproven?
How can you prove the negative?

I haven't seen any conclusive proof that dragons and unicorns and magic don't exist either, but I'm still pretty damn sure I can ignore the possible effects they might have on my life other than as parts of games.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #292659 - This was a reply to message #292605
Novaximus

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,622

Tuesday March 14, 2006 6:25 AM
Shadowlord makes a good point on that. But on the other hand scientfic method should be able to disprove something as outlandish as astrology. It shouldn't be that hard. Take some test subjects, take some horriscopes, and start to compair and contrast.
± Sometimes to become great one must become small ±
 Message #292666 - This was a reply to message #292659
TheShadowlord

Wednesday March 15, 2006 5:00 AM
(shouldn't this topic be in the Paranormal forum?)

Oh, science has done that. Since the results have been 'negative' (in other words, they found no proof of astrology working). The problems are still as mentioned earlier. Either the astrological tables are so vague as to be hard to discount ("you will have a difficult week") or they will be obviously wrong.

However, there is the 'file-drawer' problem. On top of the problem of getting funding for such experiments (and few respectable funders will bother wasting money on this sort of thing), the results come in negative and then what?
You will have spent lots of money and time with nothing to show for it. No researcher likes publishing these sorts of results, so they stash them away in their files. Thus there are lots of experiments 'disproving' various paranormal phenomena hidden away around the world, while the odd experiment (usually rigged, or where the results have been incorrectly interpreted) that 'proves' paranormal phenomena get the headlines.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #292698 - This was a reply to message #292666
michael

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 1

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 8, 2007 11:06 PM
Hi, I totally agree, astrology is nice to have to let off steam when things are crazy. The future is unpredictable. Im always the High Priestess, when reading astrology, horoscope, when having them read&and hear too.
 Message #314249 - This was a reply to message #286365

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1