Discussions in Games (Video/Computer, Board, Card... etc.)
Moderated By Administrator

Forums
Entertainment
Games (Video/Computer, Board, Card... etc.)
X-COM: Enemy Unknown
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: X-COM: Enemy Unknown

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1
TheShadowlord
X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 25, 2012 8:21 PM
The remake of the '94 classic which I spent way too many hours on, does its predecessor proud.
It's not an exact copy, for better or worse, and it is really addictive.
All the elements that made the original great are there. Funding, research, development, production, creepy nasty overpowered enemies that make you go holyfuckingshiti'msodead, and watching all the guys you've spent a couple of missions improving and growing attached to die.

I'm glad they've cleaned up the funding problem. In the old game, after a couple of missions, money was never an issue. In this version you are always wringing your hands, trying to decide what to spend money on. It makes stuff a bit more difficult.
I'm a bit torn on the matter of the reduced squad size. You start out with 4, and can increase to 6 troopers. The old game started you off with 8 or 10, and you could eventually have nearly 30 guys on a mission.

Equipment does get destroyed when your squaddies die, which is nice considering how expensive and difficult it is to procure better stuff, but you don't have to worry about running out of ammo (except for reloading).
Grenades are greatly reduced in power and frequency, which makes sure neither you nor the enemy can carpet bomb the map any more.
So far I've been playing on a low difficulty (yeah yeah, mock me), which means I can't shoot my buddies in the back, and there are no shots from the darkness wiping half my squad before I even see the enemy: if they can see you, you can see them.
Sadly, you cannot fire weapons at anything but enemies, so no burning your way through a building because finding a door takes too long.
And psionic powers are no longer auto-wins. Mindcontrol is mcuh nerfed, requiring line of sight from the initiator, and you cannot use them the first round. It lasts several turns, but has a long cooldown time.

I will admit to some puzzlement about the random number generator they use. I have experienced several times that my guys (supposedly) have a 100% chance of hitting with an attack, only to have them miss.

All in all, I love this game to bits and will probably give SW:TOR a good break while I do another campaign or two.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341398
Nix
RE: X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday October 26, 2012 3:25 AM
My biggest complaint is the really weird way the LOS seems to work. My Heavy types are constantly wasting their overwatch shots on X-Rays who are behind solid walls. No windows or doors to see through. Sometimes this blows the wall away, but a lot of times the shots hit the target.

I have to wonder about the number generator too. One of my heavies hit more when his chance was 40-50% than the other did at 90+.
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #341400 - This was a reply to message #341398
TheShadowlord
RE: X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday October 29, 2012 1:56 PM
Yeah, I get those too.

I must confess I like the old one better. The whole uplift story of the new one is just silly. But I'm still enjoying it, even if I had to put it away for a few days. I tried going to bed one night and found I kept seeing little figures on a grid map, and I tried to move them around and shoot aliens.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341401 - This was a reply to message #341400

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1