PAGES: 1
tassanaburrfoot
The Hunger Games

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday December 28, 2012 8:04 AM
So, I had read this trilogy about a year ago and had fallen in love with it. The entire tril really gives you something to think about and draws lots of parallels to war, famine, disaster, poverty, politics, and society as a whole. If you haven't read the books, you should. I know they are listed as "Young Adult", but really, there are a lot of really adult themes in these books.

When it was announced that they were going to make movies out of the books, I was pretty skeptical. I love the books a ~lot~. (As much as I love Harry Potter and the Dresden Files, to be honest.) And Hollywood, to me, always has this habit of fucking up the books that I love. (The Harry Potter movies and the short lived Dresden Files television show that aired on Sci-Fi for one season.) But I wanted to see the movie anyway, because I liked the books. (Same reason I saw HP and the Dresden Files.)

When I heard that they cast Woody Harrelson as Haymitch and Liam Hemsworth as Gale, I was even more skeptical. Grant it, I do not doubt these gentlemen's acting prowess, however, I just could not see them filling those roles too well. They weren't what I envisioned when I thought "Haymitch" or "Gale". I was even more surprised when they cast Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, since Peeta is my favourite character in the series. (Along with Cinna.) In fact, Lenny Kravitz as Cinna was the only acting choice I really liked at the time.

But then, with very little expectations of a great movie, I went and saw it in theatres. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. Gary Ross, who directed the film, really kept the story as close to the book as he could. He worked alongside Suzanne Collins, who wrote the books, and asked for her advice on certain things and such. Sure he had his own vision, and you see that in the film.

There were things he had to cut out and there were things he changed and did differently. But, honestly, they were such small changes, that one really did not notice them unless you actually looked for them and nitpicked. Even nitpicking, though, the changes weren't bad or poor. If anything, they just made the movie flow a lot better.

If you haven't seen this movie or read the books, I would like to make the suggestion to do so. To me, they really are incredible and quite fascinating. The first time I read the Hunger Games, it actually scared me a bit, because I couldn't help but think, "Gods, this could actually happen."
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341562

Listing 1 to 1 of 1 Replies

PAGES: 1