PAGES: 2 1 2
tassanaburrfoot
RE: Disney Buys Star Wars

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 23, 2012 12:34 PM
I guess I need to read more... Or, at the very least, rewatch the movies.

I get what you're saying, though, Silv, about the insult to one's intelligence. To say that I wasn't insulted almost implies my own lack of intelligence, but I disagree. I just wasn't insulted by him or by the idea of him. Then again, when I went to see Phantom Menace the only thing I knew about the series as a whole was the original trilogy and what George Lucas was planning with this "three trilogies" idea. The only Star Wars books I have read is the Han Solo trilogy. (He's my favourite character, so ) And I don't know much about the Star Wars universe, or EU as it were.

In all honesty, pretty much everything in Star Wars can be considered EU except the two trilogies, correct? I mean, what material besides said trilogies has George Lucas offered us? It's kinda the same thing with the Harry Potter books versus anything else Harry Potter. If J. K. Rowling didn't write it, then it's not considered canon by a lot of HP fans. (That's just an example, mind. I don't need this turning into a HP discussion. We have a thread for that.

And thank you, Silv, for explaining EU to me. Like I said, I knew what it meant, I just couldn't get my brain to work.

Good to know that I had seen the racism thing wrong. I thought the implication was to Jar-Jar as a character himself. (That Jar-Jar was racist.) That I would have disagreed with tremendously, as he's never given any indication of being racist. (At least, not from what I've seen.)

As for the blackface portrayals thing, I'm not completely certain that had been the intent. I mean, in the Star Wars universe there are thousands, if not millions, of different kinds of races. It only makes sense, at least to me, that there would be a race, somewhere, that would act the way the Gungans do. I just don't see that as a racist thing. And I don't think George Lucas or the production team/screenwriters intended for people to take it that way. (And if they did, then maybe one should look more closely, not at Jar-Jar, but at George Lucas and his team.)

Then again, what do I know? I love Star Wars, I really do, but I know less than I should about it.

Also, if Jar-Jar and his race are looked at in that tone, what do people say about some of the other creatures? What about Hutts? I mean, they could be compared to mob bosses. Yet, you don't see mobsters getting all bent because a Hutt is a huge slug. (Unless they do... Like I said, I don't know.) I mean, people just accepted Jabba for what he was. They didn't get offended or upset by him.

And that doesn't even mention the parallels the Force and Jedi have to both Christianity and even Paganism. (More so the former rather than the latter.) And yet Christians love Star Wars just as much as many Pagans do.

I could go on all day about this subject. What it all comes down to is just how much people are willing to let little things get to them and how closely people are going to look.

Honestly, I don't think there is a single race or idea of a race that isn't portrayed in Star Wars. (Admiral Ackbar versus Asian races, namely Chinese and/or Japanese anyone? What about Yoda? If he isn't a parallel to Kung Fu or karate masters, then I'm an Ewok.) Grant it, some races hold the race/idea of a race they portray in higher standards than others. And then there are these ideas of races that are parts of our own history or mythologies (Wookies/Bigfoot).

All in all, I think most people would have to look kinda hard to see the Gungan/blackface resemblance (unless you just recently studied the blackface history.) And if it was intentional, it still may not have been meant in a malicious way. I mean, the Gungans are good people. They help Queen Amidala fight against the Trade Federation. So, whether they are fishy blackface people or not, they are not bad people. And I guess that's why I didn't see the racism in it. (That or it was just the history behind the blackface was only lightly brushed upon in my history classes.)

[[Edited by tassanaburrfoot on Friday November 23, 2012 12:35 PM]]
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341482 - This was a reply to message #341481
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday November 26, 2012 12:23 AM
The thing with Jar Jar is that, while I'm not convinced the intent behind the character was to drag up old, ugly pastiches, as soon as someone points it out, you can't really unsee it. Which makes the first movie even more face-palm inducing.

Don't even get me started on the evil, greedy, slave-trading, big-nosed space Jew...

EDIT: Because I love discussing theological implications of fictional movies - the Jedi religion is VERY Eastern influenced. Revenge of the Sith works as a perfect parable on Buddhism's philosophy of detachment: the necessity of balance, and how attachment, even when it's well-intentioned, can lead only to bad things. (Anakin's attachment to Padme and their love goes against the Jedi code and leads to the destruction of goddamn everything, including himself)

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Monday November 26, 2012 12:26 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341489 - This was a reply to message #341482
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 27, 2012 4:10 AM
Space Jew. That one is new to me. Maybe it's just that Jewish stereotypes are a bit different here.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341493 - This was a reply to message #341489

Listing 11 to 13 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2