PAGES: 2 1 2
tassanaburrfoot
Disney Buys Star Wars

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 20, 2012 3:19 AM
What is wrong with you people? Have you all lost your inner geek or something? This makes it the second post I made because someone hadn't beat me to it. And I thought someone would have by now! And you all call yourselves nerds. Shame!

Disney Buys Lucasfilms. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/disney-buys-lucasfilm-star-war s-7_n_2045632.html

And why won't the linking thing work for me! This is distressing. I wanted to put that link over the "Disney Buys Lucasfilms" because it would have made things easier for everyone else. And it won't work for me. Why? What am I doing wrong? I highlighted the words and pressed the link button and the highlight disappears and it won't do it.

Anyway. So, yeah. Disney bought Lucasfilms for $4.05 billion. AND they are planning on making another Star Wars trilogy to be released in 2015.

A lot of people have been expressing shock and outrage over this "surprise" and I'm left confused. George Lucas has said ~years~ ago, around the time when Disney put Star Tours in their theme parks, that when he was ready to retire or whatever, that he would only deal with Disney. Or something like that. Point is, he's had this plan for years, so what's so surprising about it?

Also, people are expressing an outrage over a new Star Wars trilogy, yet this was another thing Lucas had mentioned doing in the past. Right before Phantom Menace came out, Lucas had made the comment that he wanted three trilogies. It was supposed to be the original, the prequel, and a sequel trilogy. I remember because I remember discussing it with friends and making the comment, "Well, I hope he doesn't take too long to make the sequel trilogy because Mark, Harrison, and Carrie aren't getting any younger."

And yet, Mark Hamill was "shocked" by the news that Lucas sold his company to Disney. Really?

Regardless, both Hamill and Fisher have expressed their interests in reprising their roles as Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, respectively. The only one not excited about it is Harrison Ford as he's never liked Han Solo and has refused all Star Wars gatherings with the exception of the 30th Anniversary celebration in honor of St. Jude's Children's Hospital. BUT, Ford has agreed to reprise his role with Disney regardless.

All in all, I'm actually excited to see what Disney brings. Personally, I thought they did a good job with the Avengers and with Marvel in general, so it'll be nice to see where they go with Lucasfilms and Star Wars in particular.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341441
Lunitari0
RE: Disney Buys Star Wars

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 20, 2012 3:31 AM
I'm curious about seeing what Disney brings too.

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #341442 - This was a reply to message #341441
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Wednesday November 21, 2012 12:33 AM
I'm tempted to talk about the end of the world. Remember the last time people tried to make a live action element without Lucas?
THe Holiday Special?

The linking thing hasn't worked for ages, so it isn't just you.

Anyway, Disney has done some good work recently. The aforementioned Marvel movies, and I really liked John Carter, which I actually preferred to the Avengers.
But knowing what I do of the SWEU, I am nervous because there is so much shit out there, and making movies out of it would just be rubbing poisoned salt into the gaping wounds.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341450 - This was a reply to message #341441
tassanaburrfoot

Wednesday November 21, 2012 10:30 AM
But Disney is keeping George Lucas as a consultant, so he's not going to be completely out of the picture. (No pun intended.) And the person they hired to head Lucasfilms, this Kathleen Kennedy, is a huge fan of the saga, so I don't see her doing much of anything without George Lucas' approval.

Like I said. It'll be interesting to see what Disney brings.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #341459 - This was a reply to message #341450
TheShadowlord

Wednesday November 21, 2012 3:07 PM
Thing is, the EU has a lot of stuff that's official and is shit. Written by folks who love the movies and all. And Even Lucas gave us Jar Jar. It's not the end of the world type thing, but I am skeptical.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341462 - This was a reply to message #341459
tassanaburrfoot

Wednesday November 21, 2012 3:16 PM
You know, I think I am possibly the only person in the world that can call herself a nerd and say that I liked Jar-Jar. I mean, he's no Chewie or anything, but I did not have a problem with him. I guess I can understand why people may not like him, but *shrugs* I thought he was fine.

A lot of companies have a lot of official shit that is shit. But they also have good things, too. (I think. My mind drew a complete blank to "EU." Not sure I know what that means at the moment. And I know what EU stands for, at least I think I do. My mind is just not working with me completely tonight.)

I'm just willing to sit back and see what happens. I mean, it isn't the end of the world. And we'll always have the originals regardless of what happens with this new trilogy. (And if you don't think Disney is going to mass market the original, then you are ~sadly~ mistaken.)

EDIT: Meant to add with the Jar-Jar bit. I am, of course, the same person who think kender are possibly one of the best races ever created in the D&D world. Not sure what I'm implying here or what other people would imply here, though. But oh well. There are worse things.

[[Edited by tassanaburrfoot on Wednesday November 21, 2012 3:18 PM]]
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #341463 - This was a reply to message #341462
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday November 22, 2012 12:52 AM

Enjoy that image.

QUOTED  You know, I think I am possibly the only person in the world that can call herself a nerd and say that I liked Jar-Jar. I mean, he's no Chewie or anything, but I did not have a problem with him. I guess I can understand why people may not like him, but *shrugs* I thought he was fine.

I'm less concerned about how annoying he was and how racist he was...
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341464 - This was a reply to message #341463
tassanaburrfoot

Thursday November 22, 2012 1:40 AM
Was he racist? I didn't get that. Then again, I might have to watch the movies again. I didn't catch the racism.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #341467 - This was a reply to message #341464
TheShadowlord

Thursday November 22, 2012 6:21 PM
I didn't get the racist accusations until someone explained it to me, and then I thought it was a bit of a stretch to believe that. And it's not like the rest of the Gungans were terrible, just Jar Jar.

He was just absurdly stupid and annoying.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341473 - This was a reply to message #341467
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

Friday November 23, 2012 9:47 AM
Since no one else has done it, to clarify Tass, EU means "Expanded Universe" in this context. Anything not a part of the motion pictures is a part of the EU; books, comics, TV series, et al.

I disagree, SL, about the Gungans being rather overtly racist. It's rather obvious to anyone who's ever studied the Vaudevillian Blackface movement. All of the gungan race act almost IDENTIALLY to the blackface portrayals of black people. Considering HOW bad that was, I can easily see why a lot of people got offended. (Same with the two cars in the second Transformers, but that was not a bad, because the black actors themselves decided to act that way without prompting.)

To me, though, the biggest problem with Jar Jar was the obviousness of the "comic releif" role he was playing. I felt my intelligence was being insulted. He wasn't funny in a witty or intelligent manner; he was penis/fart jokes. That doesn't belong in Star Wars.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341481 - This was a reply to message #341473

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2