PAGES: 2 1 2
tassanaburrfoot
The Hobbit

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 20, 2012 2:59 AM
I am, in a word, shocked that this hasn't been posted yet. Were you all waiting for the kender to post something? Think that just because we kender may be the same height as hobbits that it was only natural?

I guess you might be right. But, oh well, I'm posting anyway.

I saw the trailer Friday when I went to the theatre. Course, I had seen the trailer before, but seeing it on the big screen is always ten times better.

Personally, I am excited about this movie. It's got hobbits and dwarves and elves and Gandalf and hobbits and Gollem! And I believe Legolas makes a cameo, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone else have any thoughts about it?
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341440
Lunitari0
RE: The Hobbit

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 20, 2012 3:33 AM
I'm so excited to see The Hobbit too! I'm going to start reading the book soon too, to prepare for it.

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #341443 - This was a reply to message #341440
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 20, 2012 10:32 AM
I am disappointed in what I've seen in the trailer. Galadriel? Why can't Peter Jackson just do the story? He's obsessed with changing things from a well known and loved saga (everyone knows who Aragorn was pretty much through the entire LotR, the elves at Helm's Deep). Why?
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341444 - This was a reply to message #341443
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Wednesday November 21, 2012 12:39 AM
My feelings exactly. It's kind of like Gaiman's take on Beowulf. Changing the story into something more like a fanfiction then passing it off as the original.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341451 - This was a reply to message #341444
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Monday November 26, 2012 12:10 AM
From what I know of the development process, that's more the studio than the great and terrible PJ. Studio wants to milk as much money as they can out of the franchise, and asked for another trilogy. Peter Jackson had to dig through what's implied by the books and Tolkien's notes on the time bridge between The Hobbit and LoTR to fill in that much room.

I long ago had to draw a mental distinction between the books and films, else my Tolkien adoration wouldn't allow me to enjoy some very well-made movies.

Also, wikipedia informs me there's a 1985 version of the Hobbit made in the USSR. I am so going to have to find this.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341487 - This was a reply to message #341451
tassanaburrfoot

Monday November 26, 2012 10:14 AM
Was that the animated one? I know there was an animated Hobbit that was made and I had heard many great reviews about it.

I still want to see this, though. To be honest, I have tried to read the books, but just couldn't get into them. To me, it was almost like trying to read the Iliad. I know enough of both stories to want to read them and to want to delve into the books, but the detail and wording of things just makes it really difficult for me. And I love to read, don't get me wrong.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #341492 - This was a reply to message #341487
TheShadowlord

Tuesday November 27, 2012 4:11 AM
Very, very blah, that one. THe animated Hobbit. I had that and the animated RotK, which was also very blah.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341494 - This was a reply to message #341492
Aeramae

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

Wednesday December 19, 2012 9:36 AM
Saw this at the midnight release. LOVED it!
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #341529 - This was a reply to message #341494
tassanaburrfoot

Wednesday December 19, 2012 9:52 AM
I must be the only person who did not think it was all that great. I mean, yeah, it had its moments, but, personally, I thought Fellowship of the Ring was better. It just felt like... Like Peter Jackson was trying too hard or something to top LotR whilst making a very 3D movie.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #341530 - This was a reply to message #341529
TheShadowlord

Thursday December 27, 2012 8:41 PM
Maybe it's just because I was in a bad mood when we went to see it yesterday, but I wasn't too impressed. It reminded me a bit of the relationship between the two Star Wars trilogies: the one that came first and is supposed to be the bigger, more important story, and the prequel that came later but does its level best to try to exceed the first.

But what really got me was all the alterations. I'm a purist. I can understand changing things to make a movie flow better, cutting something here, being a bit more explicit there, etc. But this one, like LOTR, seemed to change things just for the sake of changing them, and that I detest.

I disliked the elven telepathy, I disliked how human several of the dwarves looked, I disliked giving them all weapons from the start, I disliked how they got Bilbo in the party, and I really disliked the insane falls everbody took.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341554 - This was a reply to message #341530

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2