PAGES: 2 1 2
TheShadowlord
The Avengers

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 2, 2012 6:15 PM
Saw it Monday and was blown away. Everything worked. Characters got enough screen time to feel real, the action was mind-blowingly awesome (strong contender for best action ever - at least until I calm down and think things through), the effects were top-notch, and the writing solid, the humor spot on (Downey-Stark just owns every scene he's in)

Far, far better than Thor and the Incredible Hulk, stuffed with ties and threads to all the other Marvel movies so far. About the only thing that made it less than perfect were the rather pathetic enemies and the big question: what the hell are a Robin Hood-wannabe and a girl with guns doing in the same warzone as superpowered heroes like the rest?
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340909
tassanaburrfoot
RE: The Avengers

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

Thursday May 3, 2012 1:39 AM
Isn't the Robin Hood guy supposed to be Hawk-eye? And the girl is like Black Widow or something?

Regardless, I cannot wait to see it. Really looking forward to it. Comes out Thursday night here.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #340911 - This was a reply to message #340909
TheShadowlord

Thursday May 3, 2012 8:23 PM
Yup, Hawkeye (Green Arrow wannabe, with fewer cool gadgeta) and Black Widow.
I still question what they were doing there. They could be excused earlier in the movie, but should have been left behind when the stuff really got going.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340913 - This was a reply to message #340911
DarkDalamar20

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

Friday May 4, 2012 7:54 PM
You think I could take Eli (5) to it?

He's seen the Spider-Man and Iron Man movies - more violent? About the same?
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #340914 - This was a reply to message #340913
tassanaburrfoot

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

Saturday May 5, 2012 9:48 AM
I would say about the same. The Hulk is a little scary, but I think that's the only real scary bit. (Oh! Black Widow did this wicked thing where she hung a man up by his leg. That was pretty crazy, but not really scary. She didn't tear the leg off or anything.)

Saw it last night and OMG! Awesome movie. Robert Downey Jr. was hilarious. (Even Chris Hemsworth and Evans had their moments.) And, I'm sorry, Shadow may think the Black Widow and Hawk-eye shouldn't have been there, but I thought they were awesome. And Black Widow was amazing when she got Loki to talk. (Think any of the guys could have gotten him to say what she needed him to say?)
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #340916 - This was a reply to message #340914
TheShadowlord

Saturday May 5, 2012 9:01 PM
The movie's less scary and has cleaner violence than Return of the JEdi, which I saw and fell in love with at the age of 4. I think Eli should be safe.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340918 - This was a reply to message #340916
StoicFervor

Ordo Aqua: Scholar
RK: 4
MP: 620

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday May 6, 2012 5:11 AM
It seemed a bit...I dunno, choppy for lack of a better word, in places, but that didn't stop it from being a damn good movie. Saw it today with friends, going again to see it tomorrow with cousin and godsons. As far as age goes, my buddy took his 3-year old to see it today, and godsons are 7 and 5, so kids should be good.

I think Hawkeye and Black Widow deserved to be in the final battle. Yes, they're not as powerful as the others, but they still have qualities that contribute. If I remember correctly, if you go by the storyline from the comics, Widow's a Soviet-bred/trained super-spy, the counter to the super-soldier Captain America while Hawkeye has uncanningly exceptional eyesight and targeting.
'Sic vis pacem para bellum'

Sometimes I aim to please, other times I shoot to kill.

"Enemies are the price of honour."

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Honesty might be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.
 Message #340921 - This was a reply to message #340918
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday May 6, 2012 7:19 AM
It's just a shame the actor who played Hawkeye can't use a bow.

He's technique is something which a coach would fix in the first, maybe second, session if he was willing to take the coaching. For someone who "trained" for "weeks" on the bowmanship side of his role, he looks like some idiot at the RenFaire who's never held a bow in their life.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #340922 - This was a reply to message #340921
TheShadowlord

Monday May 7, 2012 8:29 PM
I hated the way he shook out his bow from a folded position, making it look floppy.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340923 - This was a reply to message #340922
DarkDalamar20

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

Tuesday June 19, 2012 2:03 AM
Took Eli to it on Friday - we both enjoyed it quite a bit. I was lost quite a bit because I hadn't seen Thor or Captain America movies before watching this, so some of the story was a bit unexplained for me. I saw Thor is on Netflix, so I'll probably be watching that sometime soon.

All-in-all, I enjoyed the movie. Quite a few laugh out loud parts. But, I was a bit concerned when I was the only one in the theater that I could hear that laughed when IronMan called Thor "Point Break". Sigh.

Watching the Hulk beat up on Loki was pretty funny towards the end too. I think I'll rewatch it again after watching Thor and Captain America so i have a better idea of what is going on.

Who was that alien dude at the end after the initial credits?
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #341018 - This was a reply to message #340923

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2