Sherlock Holmes: A game of shadows

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday January 11, 2012 9:50 PM
Anyone else seen it?

Minor spoilers.

In general, a very enjoyable movie. A bit less of Holmes unraveling the mystery and a bit more action, a bit more desperation. Quite fitting in with the style of "THe Final Problem", which it was ever so slightly based on. Moriarity, the Reichenbach Falls, etc. Holmes knows whodunnit (whodoinit, really) and the movie is a race against time to figure out the next move, the motive and how to stop his nemesis. Unsurprisingly, the duo plummet from the top of the Reichenbach Falls, before the horrified eyes of Watson.

Also unsurprisingly, Holmes survives, thanks to the miracle of movie physics known as 'soft water'. Let's be real, folks, Ritchie would never kill off a cash cow like this if he could avoid it. We don't know what happens to Moriarity, but I would not be surprised to see him in the next movie.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340593
Nix
RE: Sherlock Holmes: A game of shadows

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 12, 2012 1:25 AM
It was pretty fun, though the first was better. I wasn't too thrilled with how much they used the "bullet-time" stuff. Over use breeds contempt and all that. Though it was pretty funny when Holmes analyzed his fight with the Cossack Assassin and only got two hits in...
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #340596 - This was a reply to message #340593
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday January 13, 2012 8:12 PM
Indeed. I'm not a big fan of shaky-cam blurry fights or slow, obviously choreographed fighting-dances (though, paradoxically, I enjoy bad kung fu movies), but there was too much of a good thing.

And while I understand that they couldn't show more of Fry as Mycroft, and they showed more than I expected, I would have liked at least an acknolwedgement from Sherly that Mycroft was the better of the two at the 'Holmesing'.
Watson was allowed his own moments of Holmesing, which was nice. REally underscoring that Watson has learned from Sherlock and doesn't just tag along. And it was touching to see just how much Holmes does care for his friend dcespite his dickish actions, even if this was handled better in the first film.

[[Edited by TheShadowlord on Friday January 13, 2012 8:18 PM]]
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340602 - This was a reply to message #340596
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday January 30, 2012 11:03 PM
The main thing I took away from this was that my dreams of marrying Noomi Rapace ever since I first saw her in the Swedish "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" were spot-on. Rrrrawr.

Gypsy fetish aside... loved the movie, too. I'd put it on par with the first - different tones, but still equally good in quality. Even though I knew the ending was coming, it still amused me. I usually hate the slow-mo fights, but for whatever reason in these movies it doesn't bother me so much. Felt a bit cheated at the sudden fate of Irene Adler, though.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #340647 - This was a reply to message #340602

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1