What's on your AV player? IV
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What's on your AV player? IV

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 91 to 100 of 345 Replies

PAGES: 35 8 9 10 11 12
Novaximus
RE: What's on your AV player? IV

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,622

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday November 28, 2010 8:27 AM
"Alice in Wonder Land" w/ J. Depp

It was enjoyable. Great set designs. I was kind of glad that the story wasn't surprisingly different than other renditions despite that it takes place 15 years later as Alice visits wonder land for the second time.

I beleive the original fairy tale was made to satire english politics. The Queen of hearts = Queen Victoria / Mad Hatter = Prime minister White Queen / Possibly the French kingdom? But I most love the character of the Cheshire cat. He's like a personal tour guide, a lazy annhilist, a bit wise and mad but I think mostly enjoys popping in to enjoy the interesting times and conversations for his own accord. That cat knows how to live. In this film I particularly liked the scene where he visits the mad hatter in jail. It was like he was just there to enjoy and philosphise about old times with someone familiar to him and that helping the hatter escape was just an after thought in his priorities. Here are some Cheshire quotes I found on the web:

How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate your condition is not permanent. You're lucky, too. Red eyes suit so few.

Only the insane equate pain with success.

I've never trusted toadstools, but I suppose some must have their good points.

Haste makes waste, so I rarely hurry. But if a ferret were about to dart up my dress, I'd run.
± Sometimes to become great one must become small ±
 Message #338605 - This was a reply to message #338559
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Sunday November 28, 2010 6:52 PM
I didn't like the movie. I commented on it a little down the list here, but in short, it took the window dressing of AiW/TtLG and removed any of the nonsense and satire that made it fun and turned it into a bog standard hero-fantasy. They might as well have called it "let's put in as much Johnny Depp as possible". Really, the only redeeming feature was Christopher Lee in an all too minor role.

And those quotes are from the video game "American McGee's Alice", which would have made a much better movie if they wanted to do the whole 'Alice 10 years on' schtick.

[[Edited by TheShadowlord on Sunday November 28, 2010 6:53 PM]]
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #338609 - This was a reply to message #338605
TheShadowlord

Wednesday December 1, 2010 3:35 PM
"Blindpassasjer" (Stowaway).
Norway's one attempt at an SF movie, shown as a three-part miniseries in 78. Fortunately, it doesn't require much by the way of SFX, but still comes off looking like a cheap episode of Doctor Who or STar Trek.
Basically, the crew of the Marco Polo wake up from hibernation to find that something came aboard their ship and ruined observational cameras. They then realize that one of their number has been killed. Since everybody is present, one is obviously an impostor. Cue the predictable paranoia and accusations.
The reason why this happened and the reveal are rather silly and nonsensical, again like a bad episode of DW or ST. Where this fails is that there are no really likable characters, unlike DW or ST.
A decent enough attempt, I suppose, but not great.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #338615 - This was a reply to message #338609
TheShadowlord

Monday December 13, 2010 4:06 PM
Shinobi - a 2005 Japanese movie set in the beginning of the time of peace after Tokugawa Ieyasu claimed the title of shogun.
Basically, two traditional enemy villages of shinobi have to fight it out for their lord, but will be betrayed by the shogun.
Pretty forgettable story - a story of forbidden love. But the fight scenes are kind of cool, if you like ninja superpowers.

Ninja Assassin - modern day story of ninja assassins killing people. Not as superpowered as Shinobi, but these guys are pretty damn good. Pretty boring really, except for the bloody fights (and it's quite graphic and gruesome in places).

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #338850 - This was a reply to message #338615
TheShadowlord

Sunday January 2, 2011 4:26 AM
Hurray for friends getting rid of their old 32-inch tv. Have watched the Downey/Law "Sherlock Holmes", which was every bit as enjoyable at home as it was in the movie theater, and "The Princess and the Frog", which was a great return to form for Disney. Make more of those, please.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #338973 - This was a reply to message #338850
TheShadowlord

Sunday January 9, 2011 3:25 PM
The A-team.
Just as fun on the tv as it was on the big screen. The extended version wasn't quite as good as I hoped. Most of the scenes they had removed from the movie weren't terribly good. Too much retard humor

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #339004 - This was a reply to message #338973
Aeramae

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

Sunday January 9, 2011 8:48 PM
QUOTED  Found a wonderful website with just about all of Doctor Who

I must have the site name. Going through a big David Tennant withdrawal.
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #339005 - This was a reply to message #338160
TheShadowlord

Monday January 10, 2011 6:08 PM
here

Honestly, I cannot really see the appeal of Tennant.
He was good at first, but he got so hammy and overacted that I was glad he finally left.
Smith is much better, but Eccleston is still the best of the nuWho bunch. He could do angry and moody without seeming emo, and he had moments of humor and crazy as well.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #339008 - This was a reply to message #339005
Unbeliever

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,514

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 11, 2011 1:40 AM
Been pretty exclusively watching "The West Wing" for the past several weeks. Had never watched the show, and was finally convinced by a friend to give it a look. Great stuff, but now I'm nearing the end.
2011 was way more apocalypsey than 2012.
 Message #339012 - This was a reply to message #339008
Aeramae

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

Tuesday January 11, 2011 5:33 AM
The Tennant thing is honestly not something I can readily define. It's one of those things that you either love him or you don't.
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #339013 - This was a reply to message #339008

Listing 91 to 100 of 345 Replies

PAGES: 35 8 9 10 11 12