PAGES: 35 31 32 33 34 35
TheShadowlord
RE: What's on your AV player? IV

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 8, 2013 7:39 PM
Have been watching a fair amount of anime lately. Mostly clicking on random titles to see if they are any good. Just started on "SErial Experiments Lain", which the girl didn't find enticing and I did. It's not that we don't like the weird stuff, since we are both fond of Boogiepop Phantom.
Also, watched "Kon Tiki" a rather less than accurate portrayal of Thor Heyerdahl's rightfully legendary voyage from Peru to Polynesia on a balsawood raft. Basically, for a movie purorting to be a biography they added a lot of unnecessary drama and action and rather grossly misportrayed one of the crew. And actor-Heyerdahl's English was not quite as bad as it was in real life.
Seriously, if you ever want to hear what real English-with-a-serious-Norwegian-accent is like, look up some stuff by him on Youtube.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341803 - This was a reply to message #341785
TheShadowlord

Monday April 15, 2013 2:26 AM
Watched na old German silent classic, "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Like so many of those old German horror movies (or thrillers, as they would be labled today) I was torn between laughing at the effects and the plot and acting, and being amazed at how creepy they could get things to be. While not in the same class as "Nosferatu" it is at least as good as the first "Dr. Mabuse", and a good deal shorter than the latter.

Also watched "Rock of Ages", which was a surprisingly good comedy ruined by teenage romance.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341811 - This was a reply to message #341803
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 15, 2013 4:23 AM
QUOTED 
King Kong. The original.
First time I've seen it. Wine and good company to mock it were a bonus. I wonder how those poor dinosaurs can procreate fast enough on that little island to keep up with the 4 or 5 that Kong goes through in the space of a day.

... leave poor Kong alone! That movie was a masterpiece of special effects for it's time, man. Imagine people in about 80 years reviewing Avatar.

QUOTED  Watched na old German silent classic, "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Like so many of those old German horror movies (or thrillers, as they would be labled today) I was torn between laughing at the effects and the plot and acting, and being amazed at how creepy they could get things to be

Hush your whore mouth. Caligari's still a work of art, damn you.

I'm a huge sucker for oldschool German Expressionism and it's a damn fine example of it. Also quite revolutionary for it's time - first film to depict altered mental states like that. And yes, it's still amazingly creepy.

Recently finished "Todd and the Book of Pure Evil", a bizarre little Canadian comedy I can't recommend enough. It's a bit like Buffy, if Buffy centered around a pair of pothead losers in a metal band, with the world's most incompetent Satanist guidance counselor as the main antagonist.

Absolutely hilarious and 100% worth a watch.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341814 - This was a reply to message #341811
TheShadowlord

Tuesday April 16, 2013 12:19 AM
Don't get me wrong, I liked them and I certainly understand how groundbreaking the movies were. I'm just getting old enough to get over my 'the older the better' mentality and evaluate books and movies on the strength of what they are in relation to all others, not just those of their own time.

Metropolis will be on the list soon, and I hope that this version isn't the 'improved' version I watched some years ago, with added color and a soundtrack by Queen (vomitization). The girl has only seen that anime version and I want to show her the real stuff. Sad thing is, she isn't nearly as fond of the silent movies as I am.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341816 - This was a reply to message #341814
TheShadowlord

Thursday April 25, 2013 1:19 AM
Have recently watched the two Macross Frontier movies: the False Songstress and Wings of Goodbye.
The movies would ahve been mostly incomprehensible if you hadn't seen the series first, since it dumped all the characters and plot in the middle without bothering to explain anything. However, the general plot, at least as presented in the second movie, was actually a lot better than the series. It was a bit rushed, and they ended up not killing off one guy, so he could finally man up to his feelings about another character which made me happy (I'm a sucker for happy endings in love stories).

On the whole, if they had combined the story of the movies with the pacing of the series, it would have been an excellent story instead of just a good one.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341821 - This was a reply to message #341816
Aeramae

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

Friday April 26, 2013 7:03 AM
Okay, finished up my Doctor Who. Not sure what scares me more, giant Statue of Weeping Liberty, or the cherubs. Probably the cherubs.
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #341824 - This was a reply to message #341821
TheShadowlord

Friday April 26, 2013 12:50 PM
That episode annoyed the hell out of me.
the Angels are stone if people look at them, right?
How often is the Statue of Liberty not observed by anyone? And wouldn't people notice it was gone for a while?
And that it suddenly stood in the street downtown?

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341825 - This was a reply to message #341824
TheShadowlord

Tuesday April 30, 2013 2:48 AM
Started watching "Record of Lodoss war: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight"
We didn't even know this one existed. Being quite fond of the original, we had to start watching it. Apart from the design and combat looking even more anime, it's still very obviously old school D&D in setting and story.
The chibi end bits are really grating, though.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341828 - This was a reply to message #341825
TheShadowlord

Friday May 10, 2013 5:10 PM
After 10 episodes the old gang went off to do their own thing and a new bunch of heroes entered. It's taking me some time to warm up to the new ones, especially since the world and action seem even more anime than the original stories, but it is still a lot like watching a transcript of a D&D Basic game (which is what it basically is). So nostalgia points ftw.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341846 - This was a reply to message #341828
TheShadowlord

Wednesday May 15, 2013 6:05 PM
More episodes into the second Lodoss series, and it's really picking up. End of the world, resurrection of nasty gods, megalomanic necromancers, magical artefacts that are needed for nasty rituals: it has just about every cliche in good old D&D.

Finally finished watching the second series of "Ah! My Goddess". For the first time in my life I was very reluctant to actually finish watching (or reading) a film/book/series because then it would be over. I feel kind of embarrassed by that because the story is rather silly and the characters exaggerated, the situations contrived and everything is basically just teenage male wish fulfillment (though without any actual hanky panky going on, so not quite). But it just worked very well and was very enjoyable.
But it's over now, and typically open ended (though the movie tied it off somewhat), just in case they get money and time to make more series.
I've tried reading a few other stories on the basis of "if you liked this, try x,y,z"
They haven't been nearly as entertaining and I doubt I'll bother finishing them.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341858 - This was a reply to message #341846

Listing 331 to 340 of 345 Replies

PAGES: 35 31 32 33 34 35