PAGES: 35 30 31 32 33 34
TheShadowlord
RE: What's on your AV player? IV

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday February 6, 2013 2:18 AM
Slowly working our way through the pile of unwatched movies. Saw "Reign of assassins" with Michelle Yeoh. Decent sword-fu time waster. First movie we've seen with a eunuch as the main baddie, which was a treat after hearing about how all eunuchs are bad in Chinese cinema.

And we watched some MPFC because she got her period today and wanted something easy and funny and that she'd seen before.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341646 - This was a reply to message #341644
TheShadowlord

Wednesday February 13, 2013 3:38 AM
"The Hunger Games"
I was poisoned against this by some bad reviews, so that may have influenced my final verdict some.
Pretty bad. There were two main complaints. The first is almost endemic to movies-from-books: they make more sense if you've read the books first. A lot of stuff that wasn't explained. Sure, I could guess at most of it and probably be mostly right, but I still like a bit more, even if it's as poorly disguised infor dump as "as you already know..."
And the world building just seemed stupid and flat, and Katniss is too Mary Sue for me to like.

The second was it's absolutely atrocious camera use. The only movie I've seen that was worse was a crappy old gangster-kung fu movie called "Rumble in Hong Kong". Shaky cam all over, too much close up, bad angles, rapidly shifting viewpoints: it was a fucking mess. All those responsible for doing it, directing it, editing it and allowing it anywhere beyond the cutting room should be flogged. I'd expect better direction from a home movie.
I literally couldn't bear to watch it all the time. I spent most of the movie with my head in some old RPG books, casting the occasional glance at the screen, then looking away when it became too painful.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341675 - This was a reply to message #341646
TheShadowlord

Saturday February 16, 2013 3:01 AM
"Dredd"

I quite liked it. I don't know much about the comic or the rest of the Dredd universe, apart from a few bits and pieces picked up reading discussions of the material, so I can't comment on how true the source material it is. I was a bit surprised to see it seem so modern, compared to the old movie. I also liked Urban better than Stallone. Never seeing his entire face helped.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341678 - This was a reply to message #341675
TheShadowlord

Friday February 22, 2013 2:55 AM
"Transformers: the movie.

Yes, the old animated one which killed off most of the old crew and made way for the new one. I have never seen it in its entirety before. My experience with Transformers was watching the series: they were on Earth, then suddenly they were on Cybertron with a bunch of new people, almost none of the old and Optimus Prime was dead (very traumatizing for a young child, even if I never actually saw his death).

Aesthetically I have a few points to make. For the most part, the movie is like a long episode of the series; little build-up, lots of of action and some funny voices. Fine, no problem.
The problems:
1) In the series people were getting hit by each other's guns all the time and rarely getting more than 'flesh' wounds. Here, people died right and left. It's like the laws of the universe changed just for this movie, which makes it a bit jarring when you try to comprehend them as a whole.

2) Cursing. A few 'shits' and 'damns' were thrown around, which really surprised me. Kiddie movie with major character death and cursing? Really weird.

3) Worst of all, the soundtrack. Annoying, tinny 80s rock drowning out the action sounds and ruining every scene they used it in. Weird Al's "Dare to be Stupid" as the pseudo-theme song of the Junkiyons? Seriously?
I wonder if it's possible to get hold of the movie with the music removed.

But the good parts, the really awsome parts: everything with Orson Welles as Unicron. Man, that voice just shivers me timber.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341683 - This was a reply to message #341678
TheShadowlord

Wednesday February 27, 2013 5:32 PM
Just watched "The campaign" with Will Farrell. Farrell isn't really mytype of actor. He works well in supporting roles, like in the last movie version of "the Producers", but he gets old quickly when he is the focus of a movie.
This was a rather typical American comedy, with a lot of exaggerated scenes without much class or wit. Half the movie I was cringing at how like reality it was - when comedic exaggeration doesn't seem to be removed from reality, something is wrong - and the rest of the movie I gave painful giggles at the gags.

It just isn't nearly as good as "My fellow Americans", the last comedy about American politics I can remember. I can forgive "The campaign" for this, because MFA had Jack Lemmon and James Garner, while TC had Will Farrell. Interestingly enough, both movies had Dan Ackroyd as a rich dick trying to maniuplate things to get even more power.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341692 - This was a reply to message #341683
Nix

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday March 1, 2013 12:18 AM
Brother's on the couch with a vicious cold and he made me dig into the anime shelves. I surfaced with: Love Hina.

Not the worst adaptation of a manga, but not the best either. Probably would be better if it was re-dubbed with the current "crew" of Funimation voice actors.
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #341694 - This was a reply to message #341692
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 2, 2013 1:27 AM
Finally started watching the 11th Doctor.

I... I think I'm in love.

(creepily enough, I have a friend named Matt who is very similar to him - similar appearance, talks the same way, also a huge Dr. Who fan)

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Saturday March 2, 2013 1:27 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341697 - This was a reply to message #341694
Avenging_Angel

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 2, 2013 1:36 AM
I'm making two posts, because I feel like it. Deal with it.

Other thing of significance I watched recently was the movie "Dust Devil". Apparently, the only other thing the director's well-known for is Hardware (which I loved), but I would never have guessed from just watching the movies.

It's... interesting. I don't know if I can in good conscience recommend it to most people. After mulling it over for a few days, I've come to the conclusion I really liked it. I'd recommend it to others based on a very unique, bizarre, artistic style of story telling - somewhat David Lynch-esque, a unique story based on African mythology, and absolutely stunning cinematography. I'm not usually one to cream myself over cinematography, but this whole thing was filmed in the Namibian desert and it uses the barren beauty to it's full advantage. The scenes shot in an empty town that's been reclaimed by the desert are bizarre and incredible.

It's technically a horror movie, and I think some horror fans will enjoy it, but you'd have to be more of the Dario Argento school where you're okay with things frequently making no sense to be incredibly atmospheric.

I was also way, way too amused by the South African characters commenting on the one American actor's "accent". Do we really all sound like we're from Texas?

So, in short... very good movie. Pretty sure I should own it. The tag line of "He's not a serial killer. He's much worse." is fairly accurate. No idea if I would recommend it, though.

- Renee Vivien

Message #341698 - This was a reply to message #341697
TheShadowlord

Saturday March 2, 2013 2:28 AM
Sounds intriguing.

The thing about the Texas/Southern accent is that it's a) very exaggerated compared to many other accents of English, and b) is perceived as a sort of opposite of RP.
At least in Norway. It's sort of like the really broad Aussie accent: It's the one foreginers most strongly associate with the country even if it's not the one employed by most people.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341704 - This was a reply to message #341698
Avenging_Angel

Saturday March 2, 2013 3:02 AM
Interesting. Texas doesn't even have the really strong, syrupy southern accent - it's more of a western/generalized hick accent, though once you get to the western edge it gets a little more deep south. The accent most people mean is from more of Lousiana/Mississippi/Alabama area.

Now this makes me conscious of my accent, damnit. I think it's mostly disappeared since I moved east, especially when I go back to visit family there, but if you get me drunk things like "crick" and "warsh" start popping out. Everyone here insists I still have a western - "Texas" - accent, but I don't hear it.

The trick to placing American accents is to ask people what they call sweet carbonated beverages - soda, pop, or coke. If they say coke for any kind instead of just Coca-Cola you've got the real-deal southern accent, the weirdos...

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Saturday March 2, 2013 3:04 AM]]

- Renee Vivien

Message #341706 - This was a reply to message #341704

Listing 311 to 320 of 345 Replies

PAGES: 35 30 31 32 33 34