PAGES: 35 28 29 30 31 32
TheShadowlord
RE: What's on your AV player? IV

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday November 21, 2012 12:41 AM
Recently, the Avengers and My neighbor Totoro. The latter is the cutest movie ever made. If you haven't seen it yet, you have no excuse for not seeing it anymore.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341452 - This was a reply to message #341436
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday November 26, 2012 12:31 AM
Once Upon a Time, since Wednesday. Not much else. I watched the entire first season in about three days with copious breaks for family time.

I'd started watching this as it came out on Hulu, but lost track after one of my favorite characters was ingloriously offed, so now that it's on Netflix I've caught up. This show is like crack if you're a fairy tale enthusiast - I'd personally prefer it if they bought a little less into the Disney versions of the fairy tales and got a bit more into the unpleasant Grimm version - but I guess that's what the show Grimm exists for.
Still ace. Makes me feel uncomfortably in touch with my feminine side, but then again, this means even my softer side still involves dragons, monsters, and hearts being cut out.

QUOTED  My neighbor Totoro. The latter is the cutest movie ever made. If you haven't seen it yet, you have no excuse for not seeing it anymore.

This is a fact. No arguments or denial accepted.

... also, oh god, this exists:
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341490 - This was a reply to message #341452
TheShadowlord

Friday January 11, 2013 2:37 PM
Superman: the Animated Series.

After having watched the old Batman series, I thought I'd give Supes a try. Generally I don't like it as well as the Bat, but this show has a much stronger start than B:TAS. The first several episodes of B:TAS showed disticnt promise, but suffered a bit from sloppy direction and...'looseness. WB learned their lesson and tightened things up, and S:TAS works very well. It's just that Batman will always be the more interesting character.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341588 - This was a reply to message #341490
TheShadowlord

Sunday January 13, 2013 11:41 PM
Watched "The Expendables 2", which was absolutely fucking brilliant. Best action movie since "Hot fuzz". They dug into the cliches with abandon and if they didn't break the fourth wall, they certainly pounded on it and muttered something about getting explosives.

Every action star worth his salt is there, with blatant references to all the big action movies and everything. Much better than the first and enjoyable all the way. The only thing that could have been better would have been more Jet Li.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341593 - This was a reply to message #341588
Avenging_Angel

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 15, 2013 3:12 AM
Watched a German film called "Hell" the other night. Set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland after the sun expands or something to that effect. (the subtitles were not particularly good) Water and gasoline are at a premium, going out in the day without coverup will blind and burn you quickly and there hasn't been any crops in this part of the world for three years.

It kind of felt like a version of The Road without everything I disliked about The Road. The character relationships felt very real, and I liked how you could get a feel for everyone's personality very quickly. This is one that I really, really wish I spoke German fluently for, because the characters were very well done and nuanced even just watching it subtitled - I'd assume it was even better if I could have understood them. Very beautifully shot film, too. They made great use of the blinding light effects and images of withered fields and forests, and it had a very distinctive, grimy kind of feel. Not a lot of action, but it's very brutal and realistic.

They also addressed the cliche so many post-apocalyptic movies have, where as soon as society crumbles, everyone not from our main character group immediately becomes a feral murderous brigand. They introduce a character who appears to be the afore-mentioned feral brigand at first, threatening the main party and whatnot, until they actually talk him down and realize he's literally just a random guy scared shitless and dying of dehydration.

I am, however, tired of this assumption by apocalypse movies that as soon as society's been out of commission for a week or so, everyone just loses their shit and starts keeping other people as cannibalistic lifestock. This one did it as well as any I've seen, but seriously. Most modern people have a meltdown if their dog has to be put to sleep. Aside from a few sociopaths, I doubt butchering other people would really be a big trend.

Definitely recommended if you like apocalypse movies, or just really well made pieces. Not recommended if you don't like a sort of slow build to any action, or can't do subtitles. It's on Netflix now and I hope it does at least reasonably well just because I'd be interested in seeing what else the creator has to offer.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Tuesday January 15, 2013 3:18 AM]]

- Renee Vivien

Message #341596 - This was a reply to message #341593
Unbeliever

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,514

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 15, 2013 4:13 AM
Recently rewatched "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" with pre-uberstar Robert Downey Jr., and only slightly fat Val Kilmer. Good stuff.

"No, fuckhead. "Badly" is an adverb! Who taught you grammar?"
2011 was way more apocalypsey than 2012.
 Message #341598 - This was a reply to message #341596
TheShadowlord

Tuesday January 15, 2013 2:03 PM
To be fair, if there haven't been any crops for three years, I'd be a cannibal too, if I wasn't dead.

How did they survive?

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341600 - This was a reply to message #341596
TheShadowlord

Monday January 21, 2013 11:43 PM
Superman vs. the Elite

A decent enough movie. Basically, what would happen if Superman met "the Authority" or some similar group. Of course supes comes out on top because the murderous good guys turn out to be almost as bad as the bad guys. I would like to see what happens when you basically havea group of people willing to kill but are otherwise just as good and nice as Batman or Superman. Turning them into psychopaths just cheapens the story.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341607 - This was a reply to message #341600
Avenging_Angel

Tuesday January 22, 2013 12:46 AM
QUOTED  To be fair, if there haven't been any crops for three years, I'd be a cannibal too, if I wasn't dead.

How did they survive?

The ridonculous amounts of excess non-perishables we've been producing for the past fifty years?

I think people underestimate the sheer amount of crappy, non-perishable food we have just around. Warehouses, grocery stores, stockrooms, homes, restaurants - and that's just canned food off the top of my head.

Recently been watching "Being Human", the BBC version because fuck the Syfy version and its runaway underwear model cast. The awkward humor and ridiculousness of how innately human the main "monsters" are is just ace.
Also, George the Jewish British werewolf is my hero.

"You're Jewish, right? Jews pray. I've seen Yentl."
"You're awfully sarcastic for a vicar."
"I know. Sometimes I feel bad about it, but then I just forgive myself."

- Renee Vivien

Message #341610 - This was a reply to message #341607
TheShadowlord

Wednesday January 23, 2013 9:36 PM
Young Justice is back, giving me and the girl our much-needed junior superhero kick.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341618 - This was a reply to message #341610

Listing 291 to 300 of 345 Replies

PAGES: 35 28 29 30 31 32