TheShadowlord
RE: What's on your AV player? IV

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday October 1, 2012 2:20 PM
Also, Doctor Who.

Dammit, Moffat, stop writing DW episodes. You did a brilliant job with "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances". The first weeping angels was cool.
But you have driven these things to death. You seem intent on building up new 'rules' for the Doctor then with malice aforethought breaking them for cheap character drama. Fortunately, "The Amy and Rory" show is now over, and we can hope that River Song disappears soon. Please, let your team of writers get us back to "Doctor Who", where the Doctor travels some place, finds a problem and fixes it because he's a nice guy rather than having him agonize over being alone, or being supermean because of the Time War, or letting shit happen because it gives the sidekicks drama.

Gah!
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341309 - This was a reply to message #341308
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 2, 2012 10:06 AM
While I disagree with your dislike of Amy and Rory, I can agree with the rest. I'd also like to see the companions stick around for a bit longer. I'm happy they did finish the story the way they did, so we don't have SJS syndrome. An alternate show can be done with them, but the likelihood of A&R cameos is now approaching nil. And, that's good.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341310 - This was a reply to message #341309
TheShadowlord

Tuesday October 2, 2012 4:24 PM
Stick around longer than A&R?
2 and half seasons is quite a bit longer than many of them got. Anyway, it's not that I disliked A&R per se. aS far as companions went they were better than a lot of them. Better than any of the new ones bar Martha. What I disliked was the number of times the two of them, especially Amy, saved the day rather than the Doctor. i got annoyed with their personal life taking so much time on screen and plot points.
And please tell me that River Song won't come back. I detested that whole 'kids conceived in the TARDIS become TIme lords' shit.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341311 - This was a reply to message #341310
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 4, 2012 6:12 AM
QUOTED  And please tell me that River Song won't come back. I detested that whole 'kids conceived in the TARDIS become TIme lords' shit.

That did make zero sense, but I took the Kill Hitler episode as it being a temporary thing, very limited in number of regenerations. With a true Time Lord the canon has 13 regenerations, but we do have cases (The Master, for one) breaking that limit so much it's easily argued the rule is more a tradition of the Time Lords, as if they choose not to regenerate after the 13th to keep from over-populating. Hell, if I remember right, the other Time Lords regenerated The Master after he was both dead and his body was completely destroyed (not like in the episode where The Master regenerated from the ring, which I assume held either his soul/essence/whatever-you-want-to-call-it or a piece of his body.)

But, you do have to give credit, for one thing in the end of that episode SL, that River did that was the just right thing. When The Doctor and she were in the TARDIS after the dramatic ending, she left the parking brake on for the sound to help him (normalcy in surroundings helps one heal mentally).

[[Edited by Silveran on Thursday October 4, 2012 6:12 AM]]

Message #341316 - This was a reply to message #341311
TheShadowlord

Thursday October 4, 2012 4:58 PM
Or you could look at it as Moffat retconning the classic TARDIS sound to the Doctor being an idiot and not knowing how to work the TARDIS, then playing it up for all it's worth.

I don't believe the Master was regenerated from nothing, but he was given a new set of regenerations in payment for helping the Doctor in "The Five Doctors". Then there was that horrible snake thingy from the awful TV movie, but we try to forget that, even if it did offend the sensibilities less than "UNLIMITED POWAR!!!!!!!" Master from Tenneant's run.

Honestly, with the continual playing on the Doctor being a mean dude and a war criminal, I'm waiting for them to play up the Valeyard angle from Colin Baker's run. The whole "Trial of a Time Lord" bit. It was supposed to be between his twelfth and final regeneration.
And maybe straighten out the whole "I'm 900 years old" thing that the Doctor has been saying since Colin Baker's day.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341317 - This was a reply to message #341316
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Thursday October 4, 2012 10:24 PM
I've been working my way through the Universal Monster series as Halloween approaches. So far I've made it through Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolfman, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, and Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula are up on the pipe next, then I'll start branching out to some of the more obscure monsters - didn't bother re-watching Dracula as I've seen the '31 version so many times I could probably recite it. Invisible Man, Phantom of the Opera, Jekyll & Hyde and the Mummy will be up soon enough.
My roommates think I'm insane. It's a fair assessment.

Larry Talbot (the Wolfman) is probably one of the most depressing characters of classic cinema. Partially his story is just so bloody depressing - poor fuck never gets a break - but also Lon Chaney Jr. does such a great job in the later movies of giving him a constant air of sadness.

Also been rewatching Being Human's first season so I can actually catch up on it - the British series, not the awful US version where everyone is an overly made up white underwear model. Wonderful combination of gore, supernatural mystery, and humor.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341318 - This was a reply to message #341317
Lunitari0

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

Thursday October 4, 2012 11:02 PM
Inuyasha Season 1 in my Desktop computer, and House Season 7 in my TV DVD Player

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #341320 - This was a reply to message #341318
Silveran

Friday October 5, 2012 1:33 PM
Yes, it's retconning, but I was looking at it from an internal consistency from the past few seasons. River was a good character, until they made her who's child she is, that was stupid. But River in the Library (Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead)? That was a great character, full of hope and wonder, but also with a horrible sadness. It made sense for her character to be what she was, in that episode and The Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone. This was a great in and out guest. Then, we had her origin... oh well.

As for the 900 years old thing? I've always taken it as The Doctor lies about his age. Always has. Hell, he's always been a liar when he finds it convenient (he claimed to need Mercury as an excuse to force his companions to explore Skaro in The Dead Planet).

Anyway, I watched Underworld; Awakening last night. It's actually not as bad as I was lead to believe. It's way too short. There was very little time to develop ANY character of Subject 2. Not a bad little action flick. Just don't expect anything else and you will do just fine with it.

Also, caught Ghostrider: Spirit of Vengeance. The Rider is done better than the first, mannerisms and effects. But, the movie as a whole is worse than the first one with Nick Cage. I'll end up watching it again, just for the scene when the Rider takes over one of these:

It was epic.

[[Edited by Silveran on Friday October 5, 2012 1:35 PM]]

Message #341325 - This was a reply to message #341317
Lunitari0

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

Wednesday October 10, 2012 7:53 AM
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #341348 - This was a reply to message #341325
TheShadowlord

Wednesday October 10, 2012 2:19 PM
Tim Minchin's Pope song.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341350 - This was a reply to message #341348

Listing 271 to 280 of 345 Replies

PAGES: 35 26 27 28 29 30