PAGES: 35 25 26 27 28 29
TheShadowlord
RE: What's on your AV player? IV

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday August 22, 2012 2:53 PM
Watched "Crimson rivers", a French mystery from 2000. It had Jean Reno, so of course I bought it when I saw it. A pretty good movie. It does a good job of setting up the story, with grisly murders, odd out-of-the-way locations and weird folks in the mountains.
The ending was a slight let down, but all in all well worth the watch.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341209 - This was a reply to message #341204
TheShadowlord

Friday August 24, 2012 2:15 PM
More Batman: the Brave and the Bold.

The other animated Batman series just aren't nearly as good as this one.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341219 - This was a reply to message #341209
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday August 24, 2012 6:12 PM
The wife and I went to see Snow White and the Huntsman last night. It was a decent movie. Unfortunately, Kristen Steward put in the full force of her acting talent into it... and was about as full of emotion as her previous role in Twilight (ended up watching that one due to the daughter). Otherwise, the rest of the cast did a great job. I especially liked the Dwarves, but with Ian McShane, Nick Frost, and Bob Hoskins it didn't take much.

Watching Return to Oz at the moment.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341220 - This was a reply to message #341219
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 18, 2012 8:19 AM
QUOTED  The wife and I went to see Snow White and the Huntsman last night. It was a decent movie. Unfortunately, Kristen Steward put in the full force of her acting talent into it... and was about as full of emotion as her previous role in Twilight (ended up watching that one due to the daughter). Otherwise, the rest of the cast did a great job. I especially liked the Dwarves, but with Ian McShane, Nick Frost, and Bob Hoskins it didn't take much.

I wanted to see that one, only because Charlize Theron is a boss and the trailers looked terrifying. Snow White is one of the stories I obsess over, but on the other hand... I hate Thor and Kirsten Stewart.
Thought it was kind of harsh for them to plaster famous actors' faces on the dwarves, too. Not like there's ever been an overabundance of work for midget actors, so stealing their thunder seems like a dick move.

QUOTED  Watching Return to Oz at the moment.

Currently watching the Universal Frankenstein. For a movie that's rapidly approaching the hundred-year mark, this really has held up very well. The Wolf Man was my favorite as a kid and Dracula will probably always be my sentimental favorite, but Frankenstein is probably the most well-made.
Fun fact: they used real Tesla coils on set for the laboratory, one of which was actually made by Tesla and he gave them to use. Boris Karloff, who plays the monster, was terrified by the idea of hanging out with that much live electricity and as a result, they had a stand-in for the initial resurrection scene.

Cue mental image of David Bowie as Tesla cackling and dancing around in the background.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Tuesday September 18, 2012 8:21 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341265 - This was a reply to message #341220
TheShadowlord

Tuesday September 18, 2012 7:20 PM
If you like Snow White so much, check out Tanith Lee's take on the story. "White as snow", in Terri Windling's Fairy Tales series, a series of slightly more 'grown up' reinterpretations of classic tales.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341266 - This was a reply to message #341265
TheShadowlord

Wednesday September 19, 2012 2:34 PM
Watched "Iron Sky". Nazis from the moon. Lovably cheesy and exaggerated, both the Nazis and the unnamed Sarah Palin as president of the US. Definitely recommended.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341267 - This was a reply to message #341266
Aeramae

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

Thursday September 20, 2012 8:20 AM
In the last couple of days, I have watched Hunger Games, The Adventures of Tin-Tin, and The Lorax (watched that one twice). Tin-Tin was pretty good, loved the animation in it, talk about dynamic! Hunger Games held me the entire time, which is sometimes hard to do, and I fucking LOVED The Lorax.
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #341268 - This was a reply to message #341267
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Tuesday September 25, 2012 11:38 PM
QUOTED  If you like Snow White so much, check out Tanith Lee's take on the story. "White as snow", in Terri Windling's Fairy Tales series, a series of slightly more 'grown up' reinterpretations of classic tales.

Comparable to Neil Gaiman's Snow, Glass, and Apples?

QUOTED  Watched "Iron Sky". Nazis from the moon. Lovably cheesy and exaggerated, both the Nazis and the unnamed Sarah Palin as president of the US. Definitely recommended.

Well, I know what I'll be watching after work tonight...

I've been rewatching the 'Salem's Lot miniseries from 2004. It gets hated on a lot, but I'm not really sure why - the 79 movie was scarier, but this still has some great creep out moments (I recall huddling in terror on the couch with my sister when this first aired) and it's so much more faithful to the book. Rutger Hauer makes an awesome Barlow.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341295 - This was a reply to message #341268
TheShadowlord

Wednesday September 26, 2012 2:57 PM
Been a while since I read Gaiman's piece, but IIRC, Lee's is quite a bit further from the 'original'. This is a novel, if a somewhat short one, not just a short story.
It's recognizably Snow White, but Lee takes it a step or ten further than what you expect.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341299 - This was a reply to message #341295
TheShadowlord

Monday October 1, 2012 2:16 PM
The Raid: redemption.

What the trailer promised would be the awesomest action movie in years, the most manly and testosterone-filled event you were likely to see, the actual movie only did about half that.
While brutal and 'realistic' in the sense that people hit a couple of times with a club don't get up, and taking a bullet to the shoulder means you are out of the game, and some really brutal and cool fight scenes, it seems like the characters jumped universes about half-way through. When the mooks are killed, in amusingly brutal ways, the universe-type jumps from 'super deadly nigh-realistic' to 'let's beat your head against a conccrete wall for 10 minutes and you only have a black eye to show for it'.
That kind of made things stupid.
And the plot was totally mindless and pointless - it was just an excuse to have cool fight scenes.

So if you have a couple of hours to kill and like seeing grown men get beaten in a wide array of brutal and bloody ways, watch the first half or so. Or just watch them on Youtube.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341308 - This was a reply to message #341299

Listing 261 to 270 of 345 Replies

PAGES: 35 25 26 27 28 29