PAGES: 1
tassanaburrfoot
Making the Blockbuster

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 2:45 PM
What does it take to make a blockbuster movie? How far will directors, producers, and such go to making a movie larger than life?

We have all seen what today's technology can do. Jurassic Park brought us up close and personal with dinosaurs. Godzilla terrorized us with his malice.

There are so many movies out there that have brought to life many creatures that have long been extinct or considered myth. Some of the best are:

Lord of the Rings
Jurassic Park
Godzilla
Legend
The Little Mermaid
Dragonheart
Labyrinth
Dark Crystal

What other movies can you name?
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #286379
lonewolfe619
RE: Making the Blockbuster

Sweepsweek 1st Place: Member has won 1st place in a RPGC Sweepsweek. Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,123

Sunday December 18, 2005 10:10 PM
For the sake of this list, I'd say you almost have to add at least the first three Harry Potter movies (have not seen The Goblet of Fire). Each movie had a least one notable fantasy/mythical creature.

I also liked the way that the dragons were done in Reign of Fire, with the exception of the single male.

I know I'm missing some that I just can't seem to think of, but you already had a couple of my favorite movies on your list.
BOOOO! Did I scare you?
 Message #286931 - This was a reply to message #286379
Unbeliever

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,514

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 19, 2005 3:25 AM
A great pick would be Dragonslayer. Considering how old it is, the dragon looked amazing. Far and away better than the stop-motion Sinbad monsters from not long before.

And I just have to second the magnificent work put into Legend, The Dark Crystal, and Labrynth, given that they aren't nearly as well known as most of the others. Those were all wonderful movies thanks to their special effects and their villains (Tim Curry's Darkness probably beats out the Skeksis and David Bowie as the Goblin King, though). Great classics.
2011 was way more apocalypsey than 2012.
 Message #286955 - This was a reply to message #286931
Novaximus

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,622

Monday December 19, 2005 6:40 AM
I'm still not sure what the criteria is for a blockbuster. I'm assuming it's any movie that has set box office records or at the very least, sales which have tripled the expected profits.

Every year there are usually one or two movies like this. The Matrix was a blockbuster though I'd say the sequels weren't.

This year it'll probably be Kong from what I'm hearing but I'm going to hold my breath on saying that until the Summer movies come out. Wait a tic. Then that would be next year wouldn't it?

I don't think the recent harry potter should be called a blockbuster because it has a predicited following. That would go against my second criteria of going above and beyond "expected" sales.
± Sometimes to become great one must become small ±
 Message #286963 - This was a reply to message #286955

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1