Cinema Sleuth Surprises
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Cinema Sleuth Surprises

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Shallandra
Cinema Sleuth Surprises

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Aer: Savant
RK: 11
MP: 4,650

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 2:45 PM
Many people enjoy mystery movies - but some are able to figure out the ending before it's revealed, while others are as surprised as the movie characters are to learn the truth.

What mystery movies have you been stumped by? And which ones were predictable?

The Sixth Sense - I totally didn't see this ending coming. I had no IDEA he was actually dead until he discovered it for himself. It's a movie that makes SO much more sense the 2nd time around. (Especially if you've seen the director's interview where he said he wanted the color red present in every scene dealing with the presence of his death).

The Village - another great movie by Shamylan (sp?). I went back and forth several times, wondering is it real? Is it not? I couldn't decide for myself - and I didn't figure out the actual situation before it was revealed.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti

"Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet." ~ Chinese Proverb

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton
 Message #286375
lonewolfe619
RE: Cinema Sleuth Surprises

Sweepsweek 1st Place: Member has won 1st place in a RPGC Sweepsweek. Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,123

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 9:48 PM
I think all of M. Night Shyamalan's movies had me at least a little stumped at some point or another. You hit the nail on the head when it comes to The Sixth Sense though. I totally missed most of the clues the first time around, but that has a little to do with the way I watch movies anymore.

Something that didn't hit me the first time through The Village was that it was Noah Percy putting out the dead animals. But then, I didn't see it coming that it was taking place in modern times either.

Ghost Ship was another one that I didn't entirly see coming. I just didn't place a 'bad guy' as the cause of both what had happened and what was happening in the present. Besides, you can't beat an opening scene that involves twenty some people getting cut in half by a wire.

One that I liked even though it was a little too predictable was Murder at 1600. They didn't hide the outcome enough for me. It just wasn't a shocking story line.
BOOOO! Did I scare you?
 Message #286928 - This was a reply to message #286375
Damien

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

Sunday December 18, 2005 9:54 PM
Strangely.. I don't think I've ever been stumped by a movie before. If only by a few minutes I still usually manage to beat the 'revealing' of the plot twist in figuring out what's going on.

The Sixth Sense, for example. I had it figured when he first tries to open that door.. and can't. I remember turning to my grandmother, who was watching the flick with me, and saying "I bet he's a ghost -- because that kid would still be able to see him."

The only one that I came close to not 'getting' before it ended was Memento. But even then I figured it out before it became really obvious that the film was moving toward the conclusion that it reached.

I spent like.. five minutes sitting here thinking, and I can't think of any movie that had me guessing until the very end.
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #286929 - This was a reply to message #286928
Flark

Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek. Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,041

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 19, 2005 11:05 AM
I enjoyed the clever twist at the end of 'The Usual Suspects'. I didn't really see that one coming, but then again I rarely do. I tend to just sit back and enjoy the ride with these kind of movies. I try not to think too much about what's going to happen and simply concentrate on what is happening, it's more enjoyable that way...
I know you said you wouldn't tolerate excuses... but I have a really good one!
 Message #286971 - This was a reply to message #286929
BombSquadKim

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 2

Sunday April 30, 2006 8:12 AM
Hi All! I am new here.

I go to the movies ALOT. lol (Part of the boredom that is my life) anyhow...
One of the movies that got me was THE SAW. Holy cow! I NEVER saw that one coming!

I just figured he was some dead guy on the floor. Never thought he would lay there so still that long.... EWWWW!!!!!

The cinematic effects of the Sixth Sense are fantastic in my book and I think the director did a fantastic job in that one. I did have to watch it a second time after watching the commentary on it as well. However, I chose to watch it with some one who HADN'T seen it yet... lol. Made it all the more morbid... lol

Nice Meeting you all!
Kimbers
 Message #295021 - This was a reply to message #286375
Uziel

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 114

Tuesday May 23, 2006 6:02 AM
I'm usually pretty good with most films and working out what's going on before it's revealed. I had "Sixth Sense" pegged early on, as there was a lot involved that just didn't ring true. That said, it was still a really enjoyable film.

I did however have completely no idea with two films (both of which have already been mentioned above).

The Village - no friggin idea whatsoever. This was done so damn well, that I sat there heavily engrossed in what looked like a medieval tale about werewolves... only to find out it was something very different altogether at the end. I don't honestly think there were any clues or giveaways before the last 15 minutes of the film with that one, and I'd love anyone to argue otherwise and enlighten me if there were.

The Usual Suspects - my mind raced a million miles an hour trying to piece this together with hare-brained theories as the film progressed. And every single time I was wrong, until the end was revealed. I suspected that Kevin Spacey was more than he actually was, but again, I really didn't put anything together until all was revealed in the closing scenes. That was another that I think anyone would find hard to argue that they followed the twisted plot perfectly and knew it all before the closing scene played out.

To me, a lot of films do throw out little hints and tidbits so that the viewers can try and work things out, and these are the ones I'm pretty good with. But then there are other films that give nothing away until the very end, so that it is pretty much impossible for anyone to solve the mystery before it's revealed.
 Message #296387 - This was a reply to message #286971
DarkDalamar20

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

Tuesday May 23, 2006 8:50 AM
QUOTED  The Usual Suspects - my mind raced a million miles an hour trying to piece this together with hare-brained theories as the film progressed. And every single time I was wrong, until the end was revealed. I suspected that Kevin Spacey was more than he actually was, but again, I really didn't put anything together until all was revealed in the closing scenes. That was another that I think anyone would find hard to argue that they followed the twisted plot perfectly and knew it all before the closing scene played out.

HA! I was just reading Shall's first post and this was the first movie that popped into my head. Great movie.
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #296401 - This was a reply to message #296387
Dream_Knight

Contributor: Platinum: This member has donated over $200 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,841

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday May 28, 2006 11:05 PM
QUOTED  The Village - no friggin idea whatsoever. This was done so damn well, that I sat there heavily engrossed in what looked like a medieval tale about werewolves... only to find out it was something very different altogether at the end. I don't honestly think there were any clues or giveaways before the last 15 minutes of the film with that one, and I'd love anyone to argue otherwise and enlighten me if there were.

I hated that movie. I figured out the monster weren't monsters when you first saw them. It's like, hello, COSTUME! You can so tell it wasn't "real" even if I was living there I would be able to tell the difference. The problem was that you know there was a give away twist at the end only because of who directed it and I didn't like the ending. It was just so... stupid. At least for me it was. Nothing, I guess, paranormal of fantastical about it and that's what I didn't like about it.

I did like Sixth Sense though I figured it out in the middle somewhere. I don't remember where exactly it was but you knew something is off just for the fact that nobody but the kid interacted with him.

Unbreakable was fun! I think I was one of the few that liked that.

The Others was a great movie and I really like the twist. That totalling got me. I thought it was a good ghost story but I didn't expect the ending.

The Usual Suspects got me too. Great movie.

Chung
"You ever get the feeling sometimes, you're being punished for your sins?" - Jeff Bridges, The Fisher King
 Message #296847 - This was a reply to message #296387
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 488

Sunday August 20, 2006 5:52 PM
well Dream Knight I have to agree that in my eyes the Village was not done very well at all. For some reason it didnt grasp me and seemed much morel ike a sappy love story than a mysterious thriller. Right as she left to get help I new that the village leaders had soem hand in it. It ws just to impossible for a community like that to exist in the world surrounding them without something keeping them in. I also was let down throughjly by the ending that in my eyes wasnt much of an ending. Nothing to me was really resolved or explained just left their to be stupid.

Now the others and Six sense did a great job. Both thoroughly and completely stumped me.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #300582 - This was a reply to message #296847
Max

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,041

Sunday April 1, 2007 9:14 PM
This is old, but I feel like dredging it up, and maybe more movies that have come out since then can be put up.

First, for the movies that have generally been commented on, The Sixth Sense was great and had me stumped, but The Village was inane and I was bored from the beginning.

The only recent one that I can think of right now is Crash. That movie was amazing. It was very predictable, except for the very last detail of each part. For instance, the little girl I thought I had pegged until the shot, and I barely figured it out before the reveal. It was like *shotepiphanyreveal.* Just like that, lol. I love this movie.

Also, an older-ish one is The Butterfly Effect, although the only part that you could be blindsided by is the end. If you've seen the Director's Cut, you know what I mean. Such a darker twist than the Theatrical Cut, and it blows you away.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love softly, and with All your Heart
 Message #312423 - This was a reply to message #300582

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2