Discussions in General Movies, Television & Commercials
Moderated By administrator

Forums
Movies, Television, Comics and Animation
General Movies, Television & Commercials
Article Discussion - Films: History & Historica...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Article Discussion - Films: History & Historical Fiction

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1
Dream_Knight
Article Discussion - Films: History & Historical Fiction

Contributor: Platinum: This member has donated over $200 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,841

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday July 28, 2005 10:16 AM
Discussions about Damiens Films: History & Historical Fiction article.
"You ever get the feeling sometimes, you're being punished for your sins?" - Jeff Bridges, The Fisher King
 Message #276280
Damien
RE: Article Discussion - Films: History & Historical Fiction

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday July 28, 2005 11:00 AM
Cool beans.
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #276283 - This was a reply to message #276280
Demon_King

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 209

Thursday July 28, 2005 2:00 PM
That was very true indeed to what happens in a movie and how certain occurances and mistakes are bound to happen. I agree with it. But then there are sometimes things that I end up talking about a bit since they are humorous to me cause of how obvious they are in historical movies. But I do not usually critisize them in a horrible way. Once in a while I will but not usually. I just usually point them out trying not to be a critic in front of people than forget about it.
Well hello there my I-really-never-knew-you-at-any-time-in-my-entire-life friend. May you be blessed the gods as to have a quick and painless death whenever you may wish it. Just hopefully not today... or tomorrow... or the next day... or the next day, or the next day. *Keeps going on until the end of time* And the nest day.
 Message #276306 - This was a reply to message #276283
Damien

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus

Thursday July 28, 2005 2:04 PM
We're bound to mention mistakes if we see them - that's human nature. Hell, people even talk about mistakes that aren't really mistakes (there's a famous one from the Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring film involving apples or something).

But of course, there's a big difference between "did you notice that Cleopatra was wearing earrings with 19th century clasps?" and "that movie was so lame. It wasn't even remotely historically correct. I mean, she had 19th century earrings, what a waste!"

Basically, I do believe that anyone that notices an anachronistic mistake should point it out, especially if it's one that could cause confusion for people if they go on to study that era. But I don't believe in giving a film a bad review, or discouraging people from seeing it, based on a few anachronisms or minor mistakes.

Message #276307 - This was a reply to message #276306
Damien

Ordo Lucidus

Saturday July 30, 2005 12:17 PM
Oh come on - no one finds the subject matter interesting?

Message #276454 - This was a reply to message #276307
Demon_King

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 209

Saturday July 30, 2005 3:13 PM
I find it very interesting. I am just surprised that no one else has picked up on it.
Well hello there my I-really-never-knew-you-at-any-time-in-my-entire-life friend. May you be blessed the gods as to have a quick and painless death whenever you may wish it. Just hopefully not today... or tomorrow... or the next day... or the next day, or the next day. *Keeps going on until the end of time* And the nest day.
 Message #276465 - This was a reply to message #276454
lonewolfe619

Sweepsweek 1st Place: Member has won 1st place in a RPGC Sweepsweek. Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,123

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday July 30, 2005 4:44 PM
QUOTED  Oh come on - no one finds the subject matter interesting?

I've already expressed my delayed entries.

I'd have to say that I pretty much agree with your article. I very much enjoy many of the listed movies, dispite any possible inaccuracies. Just a very small added example of nessissary changes in a story. In Troy, Hector's spear should have been massive. However, it would have made many of the scenes more difficult than they already were.

Just as an additional thought, I prefer to try and just enjoy the movie the first time I watch it. I'll then go back and look for 'errors', although not so much inaccuracies as just changes in scenery and such. Example: When they find the nest in Jurassic Park, it is originally just a brown dirt jungle 'floor'. When they go back to it, the tracks leaving the nest are in white sand.
BOOOO! Did I scare you?
 Message #276473 - This was a reply to message #276465

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1