Discussions in Mythology, Legends & Folk Lore
Moderated By Administrator

Forums
Science, History and the Unknown
Mythology, Legends & Folk Lore
Mythical Creatures: What do you believe?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Mythical Creatures: What do you believe?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 31 to 34 of 34 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4
AnimusAniKorSaxcian
RE: Mythical Creatures: What do you believe?

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 488

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 17, 2009 10:22 AM
A little bit of a relevant tangent. I was walking to class yesterday and was dropping some eaves on the group of girls walking behind me. They were discussing how they hated politics. It struck me as little odd and I was curious as to why. They didn't fail in answering the question for me. They said they were to controversial. I think this is a flaw in modern day discourse. We have all become so politically correct, that we are afraid to offend another in an argument and then in turn refuse to argue believing that everything is and can be right.

I miss the days when we were allowed to claim that one thing is right and one thing is wrong.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #335000 - This was a reply to message #334986
DarkDalamar20

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 17, 2009 11:48 AM
QUOTED  I miss the days when we were allowed to claim that one thing is right and one thing is wrong.

We ARE allowed to do this. The fact that we are allowed to do this is why the issues are still being discussed in the first place.

Look at all of the hot button issues right now: Abortion, Taxes, Health Care, Gay Marriage, etc. People on both sides claim that they are right and the other is wrong. That is the problem, you can't have proponents without opponents. Can't have peanut butter without the jelly. Ying and yang.

You can claim world is flat, just prepared to have someone call you a douchebag noob along the way. While I agree with your statement in theory, I was just expanding on the current world views - which I am sure you are all too familiar with.

There are two subjects I RARELY discuss: Religion and Politics. People get WAY too emotional with both, and the discussion often ends in hurt feelings, hurt egos, or dismemberment.

[[Edited by DarkDalamar20 on Thursday September 17, 2009 11:50 AM]]
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #335001 - This was a reply to message #335000
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 488

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 17, 2009 4:42 PM
But the fact is it is becoming almost zealotry to follow any particular belief. Just because I share my belief with another I am preaching...That is just ridiculous. People are becoming to afraid to stand up for a belief in fear of being dubbed a fanatic of fundamentalist. Discourse is a good thing, even if it sometimes gets overtly emotional. At least ideas are being shared...but I don't want to get this thread to far off topic.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #335007 - This was a reply to message #335001
anbuanimagus

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 49

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday September 19, 2009 8:23 AM
Beliefs are being argued about all the time, but probably not in public. I think most people are afraid to be criticized for what they believe and so only confide in those around them. Some people would even be afraid to do this because of disowning or maybe not being allowed to talk to them anymore... Which is why my grandparents don't know about my beliefs. They always complain about polytheistic people and how they are wrong. Well no one knows who is right, and they won't find out until after they are dead and pass on to the next life, if there is a next life. Also, most people are afraid of death because they don't know what to believe on the subject.

Most people won't argue about believing that mythical creatures could have been or are real because now a days, they can be put in a mental institution for something that can be proved scientifically false... Maybe I do belong in a mental institution, but I refuse to think I am wrong. I for one, am very argumentative.

Of course, there is no scientific evidence that they couldn't have or don't exist, there's just a lack of evidence saying that they do.
[IMG]http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww222/Sasha23_23/wolflyingdown.jpg[/IMG]
 Message #335074 - This was a reply to message #335007

Listing 31 to 34 of 34 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4