Discussions in Mythology, Legends & Folk Lore
Moderated By Administrator

Forums
Science, History and the Unknown
Mythology, Legends & Folk Lore
Mythical Creatures: What do you believe?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Mythical Creatures: What do you believe?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 21 to 30 of 34 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4
Aeramae
RE: Mythical Creatures: What do you believe?

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 9, 2009 7:32 AM
QUOTED  Such beasts might have existed but not the human killers they were made to be. Since people fear what they do not understand, like in the case of the Salem Witch Trials, these creatures have learned to hide, and hide well.

Okay, first off, you are comparing HISTORY with a mythological being. So many things wrong with this. Let's start with the one that hurts me the most, the Salem Witch Trials. Honestly, I think we need to start a thread just for the schooling of you in our history section. Some young girls didn't like they were getting into trouble for consorting with a slave who practiced voodoo, so they came up with the "devil made me do it" and demon possession story. When they saw how easily people believed them, and how much attention they got from it, they went from there, picking victims that they felt were suitable for what happened. Salem is about mass hysteria growing into mass murder.

Now, about your book that claims dragons are real. I've seen other books titled non-fiction, and they were, in fact, a whole bunch of crap. (Ammityville comes to mind, as does a certain Conneticut story). People claim it's true, put in information that could, on some distant level, be plausible, but most of it is fluff, and not worth the word written. Dragons, once again, have a historical precedent, mostly as hallucinations brought on by hysterical people. Pixies and faeries, are a completely different topic, but needless to say, are merely fantasy creatures, created by very creative minds. Cats do not have psychic powers, and when they stare off at something, it is a speck of dust that the average human eye cannot see.

An astral plane....so much wrong with that, so little time. Suffice it to say, the "astral plane" gets pulled out by people just trying to pad their own wacky ideas. There is, as of this posting, no evidence of there being an astral plane that I am aware of.

QUOTED  Example: Goliath the giant from Philistine may have been a man with one of those giants diseases, then clad in his gladiator like armor, David or who ever wrote the source that went into the book of 1 Samuel.

My belief on that particular subject is that, when that time was supposed to happen, the vast majority of the people who lived in that area were all short, no taller than 5'7" at the most. Goliath may have been anywhere between 6'3"-7'0", which, in their views, would have made him a giant. But we can further discuss this story elsewhere. Just wanted to touch on it for a moment.
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #334692 - This was a reply to message #334677
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 488

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 9, 2009 9:17 AM
QUOTED  My belief on that particular subject is that, when that time was supposed to happen, the vast majority of the people who lived in that area were all short, no taller than 5'7" at the most. Goliath may have been anywhere between 6'3"-7'0", which, in their views, would have made him a giant. But we can further discuss this story elsewhere. Just wanted to touch on it for a moment.

Not so far off from what I said. This can be applied to a lot of things in the biblical sphere and other mythological tales. Creation may be an artists rendition of the way he sees things, and how he sees creation working. Mythology to me is than not a complete falsehood but instead a series of observations explained in ways that the observer can understand. I see the Sun as a glowing ball in the sky and could explain it as this luminescent chariot paving its way across the sky. While the science is wrong the observation is still viable, there actually is a luminescent object in the sky that travels across it, even the travel is actually caused by our Earth's rotation. The only issue is the way in which I tried to explain what I saw. It is still there though.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #334713 - This was a reply to message #334692
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Friday September 11, 2009 4:02 AM
QUOTED  Do you mind if I cry on your shoulder?

Go right ahead. I'll shed a few tears as well.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #334819 - This was a reply to message #334598
Nix

MP: 448

Saturday September 12, 2009 10:48 AM
QUOTED  ...dragons without wings, like the Chinese,...

The reason Chinese dragons look like they do is because the "dragons" are representations of the major rivers flowing through China. As such, its really easy to see why most Oriental dragons are really long and twisty.
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #334857 - This was a reply to message #334568
anbuanimagus

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 49

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 15, 2009 3:54 PM
QUOTED  Okay, first off, you are comparing HISTORY with a mythological being. So many things wrong with this. Let's start with the one that hurts me the most, the Salem Witch Trials. Honestly, I think we need to start a thread just for the schooling of you in our history section. Some young girls didn't like they were getting into trouble for consorting with a slave who practiced voodoo, so they came up with the "devil made me do it" and demon possession story. When they saw how easily people believed them, and how much attention they got from it, they went from there, picking victims that they felt were suitable for what happened. Salem is about mass hysteria growing into mass murder.

Now, about your book that claims dragons are real. I've seen other books titled non-fiction, and they were, in fact, a whole bunch of crap. (Ammityville comes to mind, as does a certain Conneticut story). People claim it's true, put in information that could, on some distant level, be plausible, but most of it is fluff, and not worth the word written. Dragons, once again, have a historical precedent, mostly as hallucinations brought on by hysterical people. Pixies and faeries, are a completely different topic, but needless to say, are merely fantasy creatures, created by very creative minds. Cats do not have psychic powers, and when they stare off at something, it is a speck of dust that the average human eye cannot see.

An astral plane....so much wrong with that, so little time. Suffice it to say, the "astral plane" gets pulled out by people just trying to pad their own wacky ideas. There is, as of this posting, no evidence of there being an astral plane that I am aware of.

Well, everyone's entitled to their own beliefs, so I will believe because I want to believe. As for the Salem Witch Trial thing, I can see how that's true, and it does sound about right.
[IMG]http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww222/Sasha23_23/wolflyingdown.jpg[/IMG]
 Message #334944 - This was a reply to message #334857
Aeramae

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

Tuesday September 15, 2009 4:55 PM
It sounds right because it is right. And go ahead believing what you want, but do not ever confuse myth with fact, it will get you burned.
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #334945 - This was a reply to message #334944
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Tuesday September 15, 2009 6:45 PM
Myth can be based upon certain facts though.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #334949 - This was a reply to message #334945
DarkDalamar20

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

Wednesday September 16, 2009 7:26 AM
QUOTED  Myth can be based upon certain facts though.

This is true, however there is a saying that, "Every lie is built on a kernel of truth."

Just think about something you have seen in your own life that you were able to embellish to make seem so much cooler. People do it ALL the time. The Bible is a perfect example of this, in my opinion. Not meaning to turn this into a religious thread or attacking the bible. I am just stating that when written down, a mundane detail can become extraordinary if you add in some pizazz.

[[Edited by DarkDalamar20 on Wednesday September 16, 2009 7:28 AM]]
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #334962 - This was a reply to message #334949
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Wednesday September 16, 2009 8:40 PM
I think lie is a harsh way to put it...I would say that truths have led to people misconstruing what they saw and explaining it in a way they understand. But yes the Bible in some ways can be an example of that.

Message #334980 - This was a reply to message #334962
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Thursday September 17, 2009 1:41 AM
Misunderstanding is one thing. Then there is embellishment - you know, fish stories. Technically an untruth, but you don't really mean to deceive, you just want to emphasize, or misremember.

QUOTED  Well, everyone's entitled to their own beliefs, so I will believe because I want to believe.

I hate this argument. Of course everybody is or should be free to believe whatever they want, but it is an asnine argument to bring up in context with science and history or any discussion where one is trying to find the truth of states or events.
This isn't merely a discussion of morals, or abstract politics (like whether or not universal health care is a good thing).

Basically, what is happening here is.
1. "There is no evidence for X" or even "there is eveidence to the contrary"
2. "Well I'm going to believe in it anyway because I think it's cool"

You can use this same 'reasoning' to defend beliefs in bigfoot, Nessie, invisible pink Jovian unicorns or even that Mugabe is a decent chap.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #334986 - This was a reply to message #334980

Listing 21 to 30 of 34 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4