Lake Monsters
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Lake Monsters

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1
Silveran
Lake Monsters

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 2:45 PM
All across the world, one can find legends of sea and lake monsters. The most famous of these creatures is "Nessie", or the Loch Ness Monster. According to sightings around Loch Ness, Nessie is a large creature with a serpent-like neck and tail, a large body and flippers. Apparently, from some reports, Nessie is capible of land movement as well as water propultion. Over the years, there have been many attempts to find the monster, using everything from vigils from lakeside, to the most up-to-date side-scanning radar. So far, no proof of Nessie existing has been found.

But, Nessie isn't the only lake monster in existance. Apparently Nessie has cousins all over the world.

In southern Georgia, the Altamaha-Ha is a creature said to have two camel-like humps with a similar structure to Nessie. According to sightings by seasoned fishermen, it churns the water in "an unusual fashion" when it rises to the surface or submerges. Sightings documented since atleast the 1960s

New York's Lake Champlain is the home of "Champ" a Loch-Ness type creature. Sightings as early as 1833.

Selma of Lake Seljordsvatnet and Rømmie of Lake Rømsjøen are only two of over fifty different creatures in Norway's many lakes.

Memphe has been sighted since the late 1700s at Lake Memphremagog in Quebec. Ogopogo lives in British Columbia's Okanagan Lake.

Lake Van in Turkey has it's monster, emerging in 1995.

Africa has both the inkanyamba, a huge serpent-like creature in the pools of Howick Falls, South Africa, and the Mamlambo, a half-horse, half-fish like creature living in Umzimhlava [Mzintlava] River of the East Cape region of South Africa.

Nahuelito live in Nahuel Huapi Lake, and is an up-to 150ft swan-like creature with the head of a serpent.

Australia has the Hawksberry River Monster, with one Australian naturalist (who obviously beleives in them) saying they are breeding!

Most of the descriptions of these creatures fits a specific type of dinosaur-era sea creature called a Plesiosaur. These creatures had long snake like heads and tails, large bodies, and four large flippers. According to one article http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/bowdenmalcolm/plsfin13.htm
, a Japanese trawler suppostedly found a carcass of a plesiosaur-like mammal off the coast of New Zealand in 1977. (I am not certian I would trust this source. The official report of the carcass was that it was a basking shark. This particular article was written by a creationist author. He beleives this carcass is proof that land-based dinosaurs were killed in the Biblical Great Flood, but that the water-based dinosaurs survived. It's an interesting read nonetheless.)

So far, modern science says these creatures don't exist anymore, as we haven't found any physical evidence of them. But, modern science has found other living "sea monsters" recently, with the finding of the coelacanth in 1938 and the filming of a living wild giant squid in September 2004 by Japanese Researchers.

So, the question remains, are these creatures real? Do Lake, Sea, and River Monsters exist? Or, are we just attempting to find something to beleive in?
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #286360
Damien
RE: Lake Monsters

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 3:44 PM
QUOTED  and the filming of a living wild giant squid in September 2004 by Japanese Researchers

Did you have any links to some info on this? I never heard about it until now and the whole giant squid/sea monster thing was always a keen interest of mine.

Moving on..

Of all the 'creature myths' out there I think the most plausible, perhaps even the most 'probably true' ones are of sea-monsters. Mainly because even today the sea is largely a mystery to humanity and so it is not even close to unfathomable to think that something as large as a 'sea monster' could continually slip past us.

And from what I understand most bodies of water that contain 'lake monsters' also have -some type- of access to a much, much larger body of water (the ocean, for example) that a creature could conceivably slip through to get back and forth.

Further, and unlike many other mythical creatures, sightings of various sea-monsters go back thousands of years, but are STILL being reported. I think to dismiss these claims out of hand would be a gigantic mistake considering sightings have been consistent (if not always accurate, believable, or even true at all) for a couple thousand years.

I also tend to believe the plesiosaur theory, and I recall being very proud of myself as a child when I came up with that connection on my own, before it was ever mentioned on television or in a book (to my knowledge).
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #286909 - This was a reply to message #286360
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 19, 2005 10:11 AM
QUOTED 
QUOTED  and the filming of a living wild giant squid in September 2004 by Japanese Researchers

Did you have any links to some info on this? I never heard about it until now and the whole giant squid/sea monster thing was always a keen interest of mine.

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ap_050928_giant_squid.html

There you go Damien.

Message #286967 - This was a reply to message #286909
Insano

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,517

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday December 20, 2005 11:49 AM
I'm afraid I dont find that picture of the Giant Squid too convincing Silv. There is no scale to compare the squid to. If it were attacking a submarine full of Russians and dragging it to the depths on the other hand....

Anyways, I've seen some video documentation of Ogopogo out in BC. In the video a water skier runs over a distinct 'snake like' shape disturbance in the water. The skier then promptly falls over. From what I've read and seen I think that the existence of Sea monsters is very likely. We've only explored a very small fraction of the earths depths. As well, it should be taken into account that sea dwelling species can exist in every direction (Up, Down, Left, Right, Ahead, Behind and any Combo of these) underwater which is quite different from land based mammals. Ironic is it not that we're beginning to explore the cosmos when we do not even posses intimate knowledge of our own planet.
This Major Tom to Ground Control, I'm stepping through the door.
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way, and the stars look very different today.
For here am I sitting in a tin can, far above the world.
Planet Earth is blue, and there is nothing I can do.
David Bowie - Space Oddity
 Message #287018 - This was a reply to message #286967
Silveran

Tuesday December 20, 2005 3:44 PM
QUOTED  I'm afraid I dont find that picture of the Giant Squid too convincing Silv.

Weither you find it convincing or not, it was video footage of a giant squid in the wild. Read the article silly boy.

Message #287031 - This was a reply to message #287018

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1