PAGES: 3 1 2 3
TheShadowlord
RE: Recommendations

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 22, 2013 8:06 PM
I didn't really like the Liveship Traders. There just weren't any sympathetic or interesting characters. Never got around to reading that assassin series because the LST put me off Hobb.

Matthew Stover. Anything by him. He's, and I hate to employ such an overused and misleading term, gritty. Things are dirty, mean, dangerous and fricking awesome. Try "Heroes Die" first.
Charles Stross is good. I'd start with his Laundry Files, think Men in Black vs. Cthulhu. "The Atrocity Archives" is the first in the series.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341868 - This was a reply to message #341860
Max

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,041

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 24, 2013 3:20 PM
I actually think the Assassin series was better than Liveship Traders. The LST concept is neat, I just think she executed the previous trilogy better.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love softly, and with All your Heart
 Message #341874 - This was a reply to message #341868
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 24, 2013 10:19 PM
Maybe I'll get around to it someday.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341876 - This was a reply to message #341874
Max

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,041

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday August 24, 2013 2:35 AM
Finished the Chronicles of the Black Company, and I liked them better as they got on. I think I didn't really warm up to them until midway through the second book, which is where I can say I started actually liking them as opposed to reading them because it was different and was curious to see how it ended up.

I read through the Liveship Traders, and am finishing the last book on the Tawny Man trilogy. Shadowlord, I think this trilogy is the true goldmine of the series. The Farseer trilogy was good, and really set the stage for you to want to know what happens next. Liveship Traders deviates from that timeline, and it doesn't seem to correlate at all, more of a tangential story arc, but the Tawny Man trilogy brings it all together, and I think was the best of the three sets of novels.

I also grabbed a free copy of the Complete Works of HP Lovecraft that I'm slowly working my way through. So far, all I have to say is...weird. But good.

Finally, I read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, and really enjoyed it. The development of the characters and the plot twists were enough to frustrate me, and that triumphant vindication at the end of the book when justice was finally meted out made it worth the wait.

Haven't read too much of the CS Lewis stuff...I guess it's 'cuz lately I've been in those moods where I don't want to read for intellectual pursuits, just for the wonderful escape that fantasy offers. So that's what I've been sticking with.

So now as I near the end of Fool's Fate, I have started my search for the next series to read.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love softly, and with All your Heart
 Message #341910 - This was a reply to message #341876

Listing 21 to 24 of 24 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3