PAGES: 3 1 2 3
Max
Recommendations

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,041

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday December 26, 2012 10:36 PM
Hello everyone, and a belated Merry Christmas, Hannukah, Solstice, or whatever winter holiday you celebrate.

I got a Nook (Barnes & Noble e-reader) for Christmas, in preparation for my upcoming deployment. 12+ hours on planes, not including layover times, means I needed something to have plenty to read, a long battery, and not enough space to just take a bunch of books with me. I still prefer paper books, but at least it's better than nothing.

Anyways, I was hoping to get a list of recommendations from you all of books/series to get for my e-reader. You all know that I love GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire, and all science fiction/fantasy in general, I'm just looking for good books of any genre.

Thanks in advance!
Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love softly, and with All your Heart
 Message #341547
Avenging_Angel
RE: Recommendations

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday December 26, 2012 10:51 PM
The Dresden Files, the Dresden Files, and the Dresden Files.

... but if you're looking for something lacking in Dresden (god only knows why) in the GRRM dark grittier fantasy line, here goes:

Glen Cook's Black Company novels, or really, most things by Glen Cook. Possibly some of the darkest, bleakest fantasy around and I adore it all. They're considered classics for a reason.

Anything by Robin Hobb. Very low magic, driven by intensely complex characterization a la Song of Ice and Fire, and actually quite dark in a similar vein.
You don't really need to read these in any order, but her Farseer Trilogy chronologically comes before Liveship Traders, albeit with completely different characters in a different part of the world. Tawny Man trilogy brings the two together, later on. Shaman's Crossing books I would also highly recommend, but they are in a completely different world.

The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass. Originally this is two separate trilogies, the Axis trilogy and the Wayfarer Redemption, but the U.S versions are one series. Highly recommended, and her spinoffs in the same world Beneath the Hanging Wall and Threshold are also faboo.

On the much lighter, more fantastic side, I always like to recommend the Symphony of Ages if you like music incorporated in fantasy and fantastically detailed worlds. The first book DOES take a little to get off the ground, but they pick up pretty quickly and are amazing. Sadly, the series is on hold indefinitely since the author dropped off the face of the earth.

And that's all off the top of my head. If you want to branch out to other genres or just more suggestions, give me a holler.

Also, hi Limpy!
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341548 - This was a reply to message #341547
Unbeliever

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,514

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday December 27, 2012 11:11 AM
Norwegian Wood, by Haruki Murakami. Tragic love and all that stuff.

Ash Wednesday, by Ethan Hawke. Yes, THAT Ethan Hawke. Seriously, it's good.

And if you're into really wordy stuff, anything by Cormac McCarthy is good, particularly "The Road", "Blood Meridian", and "Outer Dark", though the latter is incredibly fucked up.
2011 was way more apocalypsey than 2012.
 Message #341550 - This was a reply to message #341548
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday December 28, 2012 7:40 AM
QUOTED  Norwegian Wood, by Haruki Murakami. Tragic love and all that stuff.

Ash Wednesday, by Ethan Hawke. Yes, THAT Ethan Hawke. Seriously, it's good.

And if you're into really wordy stuff, anything by Cormac McCarthy is good, particularly "The Road", "Blood Meridian", and "Outer Dark", though the latter is incredibly fucked up.

Related to these suggestions: If Famous Writers Had Written Twilight.

Cormac Mcarthy: "In the opening scene, Edward dashes Bella’s head against a rock and rapes her corpse. Then he and Jacob take off on an unexplained rampage through the West."

Haruki Murakami: "Bella has sex with Edward, who is half a ghost. Jacob is a talking cat. Most of the prose is given over to descriptions of Bella making pasta."

Also, you fuck. You would like and recommend Murakami.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341558 - This was a reply to message #341550
tassanaburrfoot

MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday December 28, 2012 7:42 AM
I'm going to repeat what Angel said, and I quote:

QUOTED The Dresden Files, the Dresden Files, and the Dresden Files.

It's thirteen books, Max. That should give you enough of something to do for a while.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341559 - This was a reply to message #341548
Unbeliever

MP: 2,514

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday December 28, 2012 8:38 AM
QUOTED Cormac Mcarthy

Also, a shit-ton of quasi-biblical sounding description going on, and no quotation marks.

QUOTED Haruki Murakami

Not sure what of his that refers to. All I've read is the above mentioned book, which is an entirely down to earth thing. But the description makes me glad this one is the only one I've read.
2011 was way more apocalypsey than 2012.
 Message #341563 - This was a reply to message #341559
Max

Friday December 28, 2012 9:07 AM
QUOTED Related to these suggestions: If Famous Writers Had Written Twilight.

I also like some of the comments. Like George RR Martins, and Dostoyevsky.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I already had perused the books section of the forums, and saw you guys talking about the Dresden Files books, so I started checking them out already. Read a sample of the first book, seems interesting. Not sure if I want to get the pack of the first 6 books, or just one at a time.

Also, wtf is it with e-books costing more than a paper copy?

I was looking at Dune and it's 5 dollars more for the e-book. Now, when i look at it on my Nook, it does show

File size: 0.96MB (240MB available for additional content)

but I have no idea what that means. Anybody have any idea? It's for the e-book of the 40th Anniversary Edition of Frank Herbert's Dune.

[[Edited by Max on Friday December 28, 2012 9:10 AM]]

Message #341564 - This was a reply to message #341563
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

Saturday December 29, 2012 3:56 PM
Max, I've never understood the e-Book costing more than paper. It can only be pure greed.

Don't forget there are a lot of classics that you can grab for free. It's not a bad thing to read those, the Illiad, the Odyssey, the Aenid. Shakespear. The Art of War. Great time to grab and read them. I know there were times when I knew I should read these works, but other books just seemed more interesting. When you have a time of literary exile, it doesn't hurt to grab those books/works you want to read to be a better person, but just can't drag yourself away from the fun stuff.

That said, I do agree The Black Company is a great series and should be read by everyone on the planet.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341565 - This was a reply to message #341564
Max

Tuesday January 1, 2013 5:11 AM
So, I went ahead and got the first 6 books of the Dresden Files. I'm already on book 3. Oops....

Also, I looked up The Black Company, and I can actually get the collection of the first three e-books for $2.50 less than the paperback version. So it finally makes some sense. Not as much sense as it should, but 10 bucks for three books is a pretty fair price for e-books, I'd say.

I really wish they'd do like what they do with movies these days, and include a digital copy of the book when you buy the physical copy. I'd even pay a couple of dollars more for the book if they did that. Average price for a paperback is what, 7.99? Make it $9.99, and give me a digital copy. I think that would be fair.

Message #341566 - This was a reply to message #341565
tassanaburrfoot

MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 1, 2013 6:18 AM
Oooo! I like that idea! And I agree with you on it.

What did you think of Mr. Dresden so far, Max?
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341567 - This was a reply to message #341566

Listing 1 to 10 of 24 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3