PAGES: 3 1 2 3
tassanaburrfoot
RE: The Dresden Files

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday December 6, 2012 10:32 AM
Oh, I know. I listened to the audio book (supposed to get my actual book tomorrow, hopefully.) I ~love~ it. What part are you on? Mab is a real piece of work, but not as much as Mave.

And Kringle! Santa Claus is in the book! That made me smile and laugh in pleasure. I like Santa Claus. And the whole scene where Thomas beats the shit out of Harry for not telling him he was alive? Priceless. And I love Toot Toot. That little guy is hilarious.

Won't speak much more of it until you've finished, though, Dally. Don't wanna ruin it for you.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341507 - This was a reply to message #341505
DarkDalamar20

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

Friday December 7, 2012 8:05 PM
Ok...finished the book. Loved it.

SPOILERS***

All in all, I think it was one of the better Dresden books in the series. The ending was a bit of the a shocker. I was a bit bummed when Maeve killed Lily. Poor Fix - hopefully he doesn't blame Dresden. Didn't see coming at all - and subsequently learning that Sarissa and Maeve were sisters was another shock. I knew there was something more to Sarissa, specially after learning that her and Mab go on girl fun dates. But, still - that was a bit of a shock.

But, the part that shocked me the most...MOLLY! of course. Molly is the new Winter Lady? How is that going to pan out? I can see it being pretty beneficial with the battle with the Outsiders. If Dresden and Molly are both on Mab's team to fight off the Outsiders - that's a double punch for the war. But still...holy cow. The Winter Lady. I was hoping we'd see more of her reaction/change from it, but I guess that's for the next book.

I'm a little interested in Mac's backstory. What's going on there? Maeve knew him beyond being a bartender with her comment (which I can't remember now). Mab knows him and likes him enough to pull the frickin bullet out of his body so he'll survive. The Outsiders know him well, which I think the most puzzling. I'm really interested to find out more about Mac.

I enjoyed Harry and Karin's talk at the end. I am glad they got some of that off their chests. They just need to get together for shit sake. They're becoming the Ross and Rachel of the Dresden universe. She did make some valid points though. Specially the part about her growing old and dying and now that Molly is the Winter Lady...bow chicka wow wow.

Also, something I'm unsure of...If Maeve was infected by Nemesis, and was killed...what happens to nemesis? Does it die with her? Is it somehow attached to the Mantle which was passed to Molly? Is the infection just an infection or is it an entity that can move between hosts? One person can obviously infect another person, but how do they do it? Is Molly now infected with Nemesis as well? Time will tell, I suppose.

Anyway, good book and already looking forward to the next one. Talk about some cliff hangars. Diggin' Harry's new pad on Demonreach too. That's gonna be interesting. Also, glad to see Mouse back.

And Harry - GO VISIT MAGGIE!!!!

Oh, and best line of the book. "Sometimes being responsible isn't fun. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang."

Haha.

[[Edited by DarkDalamar20 on Friday December 7, 2012 8:09 PM]]
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #341510 - This was a reply to message #341507
tassanaburrfoot

Sunday December 9, 2012 6:09 AM
QUOTED All in all, I think it was one of the better Dresden books in the series. The ending was a bit of the a shocker. I was a bit bummed when Maeve killed Lily. Poor Fix - hopefully he doesn't blame Dresden. Didn't see coming at all - and subsequently learning that Sarissa and Maeve were sisters was another shock. I knew there was something more to Sarissa, specially after learning that her and Mab go on girl fun dates. But, still - that was a bit of a shock.

I don’t see Fix blaming Harry for Lily’s death. At least, I hope he doesn’t. I mean, it’s not like Harry could have predicted what Maeve was going to do.

QUOTED But, the part that shocked me the most...MOLLY! of course. Molly is the new Winter Lady? How is that going to pan out? I can see it being pretty beneficial with the battle with the Outsiders. If Dresden and Molly are both on Mab's team to fight off the Outsiders - that's a double punch for the war. But still...holy cow. The Winter Lady. I was hoping we'd see more of her reaction/change from it, but I guess that's for the next book.

I wasn’t completely surprised by Molly becoming the Winter Lady. I mean, we kinda have that foreboding in Ghost Story and I ~knew~ something was going to happen with her. The “Ragged Lady” isn’t that far of a stretch from the Winter Lady. Only difference is that she’s cleaner now and less… homeless.

Which is one good thing I can say about Molly. She’s clean! (Ok, well, there are several good things I can say about Molly, but I won’t get into that just now.)

QUOTED I'm a little interested in Mac's backstory. What's going on there? Maeve knew him beyond being a bartender with her comment (which I can't remember now). Mab knows him and likes him enough to pull the frickin bullet out of his body so he'll survive. The Outsiders know him well, which I think the most puzzling. I'm really interested to find out more about Mac.

Think he might be an Outsider or a changeling or maybe even an ancient god? I’m thinking he has to be one of those things. Maybe Dionysus or something. I mean, he makes good ale, runs a pub, is neutral… Yeah, I’m betting Dionysus. Or Bacchus. (Which is just the Roman name for Dionysus.) I mean, we see Odin, so it would only follow that some of the other ancient gods are still floating around, undetected.

QUOTED I enjoyed Harry and Karin's talk at the end. I am glad they got some of that off their chests. They just need to get together for shit sake. They're becoming the Ross and Rachel of the Dresden universe. She did make some valid points though. Specially the part about her growing old and dying and now that Molly is the Winter Lady...bow chicka wow wow.

I’m just glad that Karrin finally let Harry go! I mean, don’t get me wrong, but I am getting tired of the “Ross/Rachel” impersonation. They had two chances, TWO, to make some kind of relationship. And they denied themselves.

And, she’s right. Karrin is going to grow old and die. Even if Molly hadn’t become the Winter Lady and Harry hadn’t taken the mantle of the Winter Knight, both of them are wizards. Which means that both of them are going to live far longer than Karrin. (Or at least ~should~ live longer.)

Hell, Molly will even outlive her family, unless one of the other Carpenter kids turns out to be a wizard too. (Bet that would shock the shit out of Charity. Haha!)

I really think the only thing holding Harry back from giving in to Molly is his adulation for Michael. (That and the whole, “I remember you when you were in training bras!”) Thing is, I really don’t think Michael would care all that much if Harry decided to hook up with Molly. Michael respects Harry, trusts Harry. He knows Harry would only do what he thinks is right for Molly. And Michael also knows that Harry knows how to treat a lady like a lady. I can easily see Michael giving Harry his blessing. (With a side of, “Hurt her and I’ll kill you.”)

I can’t wait to see how Michael and Charity are going to react to Molly’s new position. I can see Charity getting angry. Michael, though, I think he’ll be more concerned. Probably ask Harry to watch over her, though he already knows Harry will.

QUOTED Also, something I'm unsure of...If Maeve was infected by Nemesis, and was killed...what happens to nemesis? Does it die with her? Is it somehow attached to the Mantle which was passed to Molly? Is the infection just an infection or is it an entity that can move between hosts? One person can obviously infect another person, but how do they do it? Is Molly now infected with Nemesis as well? Time will tell, I suppose.

I don’t know that the Nemesis works the same as a normal virus. And I don’t think it’s attached to the mantle. Remember, Lea had it and it went to Maeve. That wasn’t through powers. That was just from being close to Lea. So, it stands to reason that if the Nemesis ~did~ survive, it just went from one person to another. Which person? Guess we’ll find out.

QUOTED  Anyway, good book and already looking forward to the next one. Talk about some cliff hangars. Diggin' Harry's new pad on Demonreach too. That's gonna be interesting. Also, glad to see Mouse back.

Oh, and best line of the book. "Sometimes being responsible isn't fun. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang."

Haha.

It really was one of the best books of the series. I cannot wait for the next one to come out.
And I agree. Harry needs to visit Maggie. Even if he decides not to step up to the plate and be that girl’s father, he should at least see her. Be her friend, if anything.

Favourite quotes? Two of my favourites were both when Harry was talking to Cat Sith. The first time, when Sith introduced himself and Harry said, “Where’s your red lightsaber?” And the second time was when Harry was looking around for Sith and said, “Here, kitty, kitty.” I laughed so hard at the second one I got a stitch in my side.

I also liked when Mab “quoted” the Princess Bride. That was priceless. (Especially considering she totally didn’t get what Harry was talking about.)

If you get the chance, Dally, you really should check out the audio books. If you want, I can send you the books. They are read by James Marsters. (For the most part. Some other guy reads Ghost Story.) First time I heard Marsters in Storm Front, my initial reaction was, “That’s Dresden!” The man does a phenomenal job and, really, the ~only~ one he doesn’t read is Ghost Story. Definitely worth checking out.

[[Edited by tassanaburrfoot on Sunday December 9, 2012 6:54 AM]]
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #341511 - This was a reply to message #341510
Avenging_Angel

MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 9, 2012 11:27 PM
Finished it the first day I had it.

ERMAHGERD. I'll expand on this when I have more time and coffee in me, but basically ERMAHGERD.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341512 - This was a reply to message #341511
Lunitari0

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 10, 2012 3:48 AM
I love The Dreden Files books, and litally just finished the newest book "Cold Days" like 10 minutes ago! Omg, I loved it!

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #341513 - This was a reply to message #340495
Avenging_Angel

MP: 6,290

Monday December 10, 2012 6:05 AM
Alright, so my heap big in-depth response - chock-full of spoilery goodness, of course.

Loved it. Better than Ghost Story, and managed to address most of the burning questions I had.

QUOTED  I was a bit bummed when Maeve killed Lily. Poor Fix - hopefully he doesn't blame Dresden.

Poor Lily - she was always the ditz of the Dresdenverse, but she didn't deserve that. A twinge of regret for Maeve, too, always enjoyed her as a frenemy. I feel like Harry's got to be approaching some sort of world record for Noble Fae Bodycount.

QUOTED  I wasn’t completely surprised by Molly becoming the Winter Lady. I mean, we kinda have that foreboding in Ghost Story and I ~knew~ something was going to happen with her. The “Ragged Lady” isn’t that far of a stretch from the Winter Lady.

It was shocking at the time, but in hindsight looking at it, makes perfect sense. I can only imagine how pissed Titania is now, though - second one of her ladies Harry has inadvertently gotten killed, and now she has to teach Mab's daughter to be the new Summer Lady.

QUOTED  Think he might be an Outsider or a changeling or maybe even an ancient god? I’m thinking he has to be one of those things. Maybe Dionysus or something. I mean, he makes good ale, runs a pub, is neutral… Yeah, I’m betting Dionysus. Or Bacchus.

My money's on him being some part of the Oblivion war. Whatever he is, it seems to be far bigger than just a random god... merely because of the Outsiders' reaction to him.

Also, if memory serves, Bacchus/Dionysus is more up on the wine and orgies side of things. Mac seems a bit too... stoic?

QUOTED  I enjoyed Harry and Karin's talk at the end. I am glad they got some of that off their chests. They just need to get together for shit sake. They're becoming the Ross and Rachel of the Dresden universe.

Oh god, they really are. I've been following these books for about six years now, and the level of frustration I have wrapped up in those two is... unhealthy
HAVE SEX, DAMNIT!

QUOTED  I’m just glad that Karrin finally let Harry go! I mean, don’t get me wrong, but I am getting tired of the “Ross/Rachel” impersonation. They had two chances, TWO, to make some kind of relationship. And they denied themselves.

I'm very curious where he's going with Murphy's character... I feel like she's changed the most of everyone in the last few books, and though I don't care for most of the changes (she annoyed the shit out of me in Ghost Story, formerly being one of my favorite characters) I'm interested in seeing where it's going.
She needs to just take up Fidelacchius already, too. No ifs, ands, or buts. I have a feeling he's saving that for the apocalyptic trilogy after the twenty case file books, though.

Also, I don't know if it's possible, but someone suggested Thomas might end up taking up Amoracchius... which would be awesome and make a lot of sense, in a warped way. Nobody knows more about how powerful love is than a White Court vampire.

QUOTED I don’t know that the Nemesis works the same as a normal virus. And I don’t think it’s attached to the mantle. Remember, Lea had it and it went to Maeve. That wasn’t through powers. That was just from being close to Lea. So, it stands to reason that if the Nemesis ~did~ survive, it just went from one person to another. Which person? Guess we’ll find out.

Allow me to don my tinfoil hat here for a moment... Nemesis is Satan. All the words used to refer to it would make sense, as the original title of ha-Satan literally means "adversary" or "opposer". It gets into people by "tempting" them with power, and is presumably imprisoned in the Outside.
Thus why the angels seem to be very, very concerned about what's going on, and why the Swords are one of the few things that works consistently against the Outsiders.

QUOTED 

All of my feels.

"I'm not her father, I had sex with her mother. That's different."

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Monday December 10, 2012 6:05 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341515 - This was a reply to message #341511
tassanaburrfoot

Monday December 10, 2012 10:39 AM
QUOTED  Better than Ghost Story

Agreed. Much better. Mr. Butcher stepped up his game this time. Though, I did like Ghost Story. Wasn't a favourite, but I did enjoy it.

QUOTED Poor Lily - she was always the ditz of the Dresdenverse, but she didn't deserve that. A twinge of regret for Maeve, too, always enjoyed her as a frenemy. I feel like Harry's got to be approaching some sort of world record for Noble Fae Bodycount.

It was shocking at the time, but in hindsight looking at it, makes perfect sense. I can only imagine how pissed Titania is now, though - second one of her ladies Harry has inadvertently gotten killed, and now she has to teach Mab's daughter to be the new Summer Lady.

But it wasn't Harry's fault. He could not have known what Maeve was going to do. It was so sudden and out of the blue, that I don't think anyone could have predicted the movement. Even Mab was shocked. So, Titania has no reason to put the blame on Harry. And if she does, then perhaps she's afflicted, too. (Which would be bad. Really, really bad. {No, I don't think she's afflicted. Just really hurt.})

QUOTED My money's on him being some part of the Oblivion war. Whatever he is, it seems to be far bigger than just a random god... merely because of the Outsiders' reaction to him.

Also, if memory serves, Bacchus/Dionysus is more up on the wine and orgies side of things. Mac seems a bit too... stoic?

Thing is, you're only looking at one part of Dionysus. Yes, he is the god of wine, but he can be a pretty serious god. A lesser god, of course, but he still has other sides to him. All of the Greek gods do. They don't just have one facet. Dionysus, for example, is the god of madness and epiphany, or "the god that comes". He's considered the Outsider god and is the only Olympian to have a mortal mother.

I mean, we don't know everything that happens in the Nevernever and up in the heavens. We know what Harry knows. And Harry just learned the depths of this war and exactly how huge Mab's army is.

So, for all we know, Mac could be the jovial Dionysus turned stoic due to whatever happened in the past. I mean, he makes ale. And good ale.

Or I could be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. It just fits to me. Dionysus wouldn't put out a huge magical aura like Odin does because his mother was human. Mortal. Dionysus was the god of the vine. Yeah ale is a bit different from wine, but it's not too far of a stretch to make it implausible.

QUOTED I'm very curious where he's going with Murphy's character... I feel like she's changed the most of everyone in the last few books, and though I don't care for most of the changes (she annoyed the shit out of me in Ghost Story, formerly being one of my favorite characters) I'm interested in seeing where it's going.
She needs to just take up Fidelacchius already, too. No ifs, ands, or buts. I have a feeling he's saving that for the apocalyptic trilogy after the twenty case file books, though.

Yeah, I used to like Murphy as well. But, now, she's just... I don't know. Something about her now just feels... off to me. I don't know what it is. She was ~very~ irritating in Ghost Story. But there's something else about her that just isn't right. I can't quite put my finger on it.

QUOTED Also, I don't know if it's possible, but someone suggested Thomas might end up taking up Amoracchius... which would be awesome and make a lot of sense, in a warped way. Nobody knows more about how powerful love is than a White Court vampire.

Oh my god, Thomas! That would be soooo cool! Seriously. But how would he weild it? I mean, love to a White Court vampire is like arsenic to a human. Or acid. Or maybe it's just the power of love and not actually love itself? He's never touched Amoracchius, has he?

Oh, and I loved the talk he had with Harry when they saw each other again. Thomas had a very valid point. In every case.

Which I guess is another reason why people think he should take up Amoracchius, huh? Thomas does understand love. More importantly, he understands how bleak life is without it. And he understands how short life is and how important it is to let those you love know that you love them. It makes sense.

QUOTED Allow me to don my tinfoil hat here for a moment... Nemesis is Satan. All the words used to refer to it would make sense, as the original title of ha-Satan literally means "adversary" or "opposer". It gets into people by "tempting" them with power, and is presumably imprisoned in the Outside.
Thus why the angels seem to be very, very concerned about what's going on, and why the Swords are one of the few things that works consistently against the Outsiders.

That makes sense, too. Which is why I don't think it's dead. Nor do I think it managed to attach itself to the Winter Lady mantle. Even if it did, it wouldn't last long there. Not with the Winter Lady being Molly now. Harry would catch such a change in her. Or, at least, I hope he would.

What concerns me is that Sarissa mentioned that she has congenital dementia. I'm assuming that since she and Maeve were twins, that Maeve had it as well. I'm wondering what Sarissa will do about it now that she's no longer part of the Winter Court. Will Titania help her combat it? Or will she end up going as bonkers as Maeve was? (I know Nemesis helped Maeve with her craziness, but she was already crazy before Nemesis got a hold of her. Nemesis just made it worse.)

QUOTED All of my feels.

"I'm not her father, I had sex with her mother. That's different."

Do you think he really meant that? Or was he possibly trying to convince himself of that?
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #341516 - This was a reply to message #341515

Listing 21 to 27 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3