PAGES: 3 1 2 3
DarkDalamar20
RE: The Dresden Files

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday June 7, 2012 2:04 AM
Well, I just finished Ghost Story - and am pleased with the ending. Tass, you were right, that part where Harry goes to see Maggie at the Carpenter's was quite emotional, specially being a parent. His interaction with Mouse too was AWWWW-worthy. All in all, I enjoyed the book. I didn't think it was as good as previous stories - but the twist regarding Dresden's killer was quite good. I knew Kincaid was involved but didn't know how.

As far as the Black Council, I agree that the Fallen are definitely involved - and I think it was proven even more so with this latest book in reference to the shadow that basically talked Harry into "killing himself". Uriel said it was a fallen, but no name or identity were ever given. I also think that more people on the White Council are involved. I don't quite know what to think of Merlin or the Gatekeeper - but part of me feels there is more to the White Council than meets the eye. Now that they have that other dude on the council (Cristo?) there is sure to be some fireworks there. I'm sure Cowl is involved somehow as well. Whoever is involved, it goes deep. Not only are mortals in danger, but wizards and ever being in the NeverNever. Something large is brewing.

I didn't know there was going to be a separate trilogy after the 20 books - that is quite exciting.

So glad I started reading these books, easily rate as some of my favorite of all time...and you're right AvA, I'm howling for the next one. Can't wait.
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #341003 - This was a reply to message #341002
DarkDalamar20

Tuesday June 12, 2012 2:22 AM
AvA (or anyone),

Have you read Butcher's Codex Alera books? Are they any good? I've heard if you don't go into them expecting Dresden Files they're decent.

[[Edited by DarkDalamar20 on Tuesday June 12, 2012 2:23 AM]]
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #341005 - This was a reply to message #341003
Nix

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday June 12, 2012 5:52 AM
They're pretty good as high fantasy goes. They get bogged down in politics a couple times and the time jumps between each book aren't explained perfectly, but otherwise they're good reads.
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #341006 - This was a reply to message #341005
Damien

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday June 19, 2012 4:32 AM
There's a Dresden story in one of the short-story collections I got a ways back. I fucking hated it so much. I despise first-person fantasy books. I despise pretentious, douchebaggy writing. It was both. Dresden can suck a cock.
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #341028 - This was a reply to message #341006
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Tuesday June 19, 2012 9:46 PM
Dude, you should read Matthew Stover's "Acts of Caine" series. First person fantasy, but I have a feeling you'd like it. He seems vitriolic enough to please you.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341033 - This was a reply to message #341028
Avenging_Angel

MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday June 20, 2012 1:05 AM
QUOTED  Well, I just finished Ghost Story - and am pleased with the ending. Tass, you were right, that part where Harry goes to see Maggie at the Carpenter's was quite emotional, specially being a parent. His interaction with Mouse too was AWWWW-worthy. All in all, I enjoyed the book. I didn't think it was as good as previous stories - but the twist regarding Dresden's killer was quite good. I knew Kincaid was involved but didn't know how.

I always figured after the amount of times Kincaid's threatened to/discussed killing him, he had to be involved somehow.

QUOTED  Have you read Butcher's Codex Alera books? Are they any good? I've heard if you don't go into them expecting Dresden Files they're decent.

They're okay. They have some decent moments, and creepy villains, but as soon as someone compared them to Pokemon the books were ruined forever for me...

Also, rereading Proven Guilty and the part where he soulgazes Molly was quite prophetic as of now. Pretty obvious which future she's going to, though I'm curious what events would have led to the other two possibilities.

QUOTED  I despise pretentious, douchebaggy writing.

Really? I would have thought it reminded you of yourself.

Missed you too, darling.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341037 - This was a reply to message #341033
tassanaburrfoot

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

Saturday August 25, 2012 5:43 AM
November 27th.

I am, to say the least, excited.

Taken from the site:

The eagerly awaited new novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling Dresden Files series.

HARRY DRESDEN LIVES!!!

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn’t all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness. After Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn’t about to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now, her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, and no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first?

Of course, it won’t be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could land Harry in the sort of trouble that will make death look like a holiday.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own…

His soul.

To be released in hardcover from Penguin/Roc publishing, November 27, 2012.

It's available for pre order at Amazon for like $19. ($15 if you prefer Kindle.)

[[Edited by tassanaburrfoot on Saturday August 25, 2012 5:47 AM]]

[[Edited by tassanaburrfoot on Saturday August 25, 2012 5:48 AM]]
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341223 - This was a reply to message #341037
tassanaburrfoot

Wednesday November 21, 2012 10:34 AM
I am double posting and I don't care. Actually, is it considered double posting when there is that much of a date gap between the posts?

There are 7 more days until the new book is released. I know Angel and Dally have ~got~ to be as excited as I am!
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #341460 - This was a reply to message #341223
tassanaburrfoot

Wednesday November 21, 2012 2:13 PM
Double posting again and doubly not caring. I reread this thread and realized I never responded to a few things I wanted to respond to.

QUOTED I like the changes in Butters and some of the minor characters, and Murphy makes sense even if it is really disheartening. Molly is interesting, because rereading Proven Guilty, you can see which of her future possibilities she seems to be rapidly reaching.

I just recently reread the entire series (in preparation for Cold Days)and I totally see what you are seeing, though it does kinda worry me about Molly. I am really digging Butters, too. He's getting kinda badass and I love it. I am really changing my opinions about Murphy, too. At first I liked her, but I really do not like the path she's going down. She's getting too paranoid and too much like Morgan in my opinion. It is sad. Really sad, because she had such potential to be awesome. (I mean, she's still badass in her own right. Just too paranoid.)

QUOTED So, what are your theories on the Black Council's nature, kids? My pet theory is some sort of alliance between some of the Fallen and dark wizards like Cowl, trying to bring about the apocalypse. The use of hellfire at Arctis Tor back in Proven Guilty points at the Fallen, and the implications that Lea was somehow corrupted or being controlled sounds like possession. I'm not sure if any of the Fallen we've seen thus far would have enough power to do that to Mab and Aurora, so I'm guessing it's not necessarily the Denarians.

I'm inclined to agree with you. And I think the Outsiders might be involved in this somehow.

I mean, the Outsiders consists of Ancient deities and such, right? I mean, we see Odin (and I'll bet my bottom dollar that's Odin. I mean, the guy even admitted it when Harry asked) and we know the Valkyrie are around. I think Odin even makes a comment about the Ancient gods and such (Correct me if I'm wrong)and how there are those who would like to come back and have followers and such. I mean, he refuses to help Harry in Changes because of another deity's involvement.

These guys are packing some serious power. I ~know~ Cowl is involved as well as some White Council members, including Cristos.

QUOTED  Have you read Butcher's Codex Alera books? Are they any good? I've heard if you don't go into them expecting Dresden Files they're decent.

I tried reading these books and I couldn't get into them. I don't know why. I guess I was still reeling too much from Dresden to really care too much about anything else. I still am not reading much of anything right now because my mind is too focused on Dresden.

QUOTED There's a Dresden story in one of the short-story collections I got a ways back. I fucking hated it so much. I despise first-person fantasy books. I despise pretentious, douchebaggy writing. It was both. Dresden can suck a cock.

Really? You read ~one~ short story about Harry Dresden and that's what you have to say about it? To be honest, one of the things that endeared me to Harry so much was how much he is like you. At least what I remember of you. (In fact, most of the time Harry does or says something, I find myself thinking, "I'll be damned! That's totally what Damien would have done/said!")

QUOTED Well, I just finished Ghost Story - and am pleased with the ending. Tass, you were right, that part where Harry goes to see Maggie at the Carpenter's was quite emotional, specially being a parent. His interaction with Mouse too was AWWWW-worthy. All in all, I enjoyed the book. I didn't think it was as good as previous stories - but the twist regarding Dresden's killer was quite good. I knew Kincaid was involved but didn't know how.

I knew Kincaid was involved the moment Harry got shot. He was the only one, to me, that made sense. Yeah, there's Marcone to consider, but what would he have gained in killing Harry? It wasn't like Harry was really interfering in Marcone's businesses or anything (minus the occasional building blowing up), and the things Harry did do always managed to work in Marcone's favour in the end.

And I knew Mab wasn't a part of it, because she wanted Harry as her knight. And it's not like (what's the kid's name? The new Summer Knight) especially since he and Harry are friends.

Sure Harry has other enemies, but I just couldn't see anyone else doing something like that to him. And the way it was done was expertly.

QUOTED As far as the Black Council, I agree that the Fallen are definitely involved - and I think it was proven even more so with this latest book in reference to the shadow that basically talked Harry into "killing himself". Uriel said it was a fallen, but no name or identity were ever given. I also think that more people on the White Council are involved. I don't quite know what to think of Merlin or the Gatekeeper - but part of me feels there is more to the White Council than meets the eye. Now that they have that other dude on the council (Cristo?) there is sure to be some fireworks there. I'm sure Cowl is involved somehow as well. Whoever is involved, it goes deep. Not only are mortals in danger, but wizards and ever being in the NeverNever. Something large is brewing.

Lash is the Fallen that gave Harry the "doomsday" message. She was the one that was in his head for so long and he hadn't touched any other coin. She's the only one that makes sense.

I did not like the Merlin when we first meet him and I still do not like him. I mean, in some ways I can see where he is coming from, but I really, really don't like him. Seriously.

As for the Gatekeeper, I think he's a good guy. He might even be a "hidden Outsider," as it were. I mean, we don't really know and he doesn't really reveal much about himself, yet he seems to ~know~ things.

Like I said before, I know Cowl is involved. We keep seeing him. He keeps disappearing just at the moment when Harry is about to get the son-of-a-bitch. He really pisses me off.

Now my friend thinks that Mab and Demonreach may be in cohoots and that Demonreach may know more than it lets on. I don't think so, but eh. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Or not.

Both you and Angel are right about one thing, Dally. Something huge is brewing. I just hope that if it does involve the ancient gods that Butcher doesn't turn Hades into some sort of mega villain. (That would just kill the entire series for me and I dearly, dearly love Dresden.)

Edit: Haha! Came back to edit this real quick and I saw this:

QUOTED Really? I would have thought it reminded you of yourself.

I hadn't even realized you had said this, Angel. How on Earth did I miss this?

[[Edited by tassanaburrfoot on Wednesday November 21, 2012 2:19 PM]]
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #341461 - This was a reply to message #341002
DarkDalamar20

Wednesday December 5, 2012 8:03 PM
I'm about 60% through Cold Days right now, and some BIG shit is being revealed. Butcher has really opened up the Dresden universe in this book. I'm liking it a lot.
 Message #341505 - This was a reply to message #341461

Listing 11 to 20 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3