PAGES: 3 1 2 3
tassanaburrfoot
The Dresden Files

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 11, 2011 3:17 AM
Who has read these books? Thoughts? I am just starting the second to last book. I think I drank the last few like water, I went through them so fast. Really good reads, in my opinion, though Turncoat was a little bit predictable. Favourite characters are Harry, Thomas, and Bob. (And, no, not because Thomas is a vampire. I find him hilarious and to be a really awesome character.)
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #340495
Avenging_Angel
RE: The Dresden Files

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 11, 2011 9:55 AM
hjtipwejf;samk;!!!

This! These books!

*cough* Sorry. I, uh... I have feelings about these books. Strong feelings, which are absolutely not related to the special shelf next to my bed with all the books on it (except Changes - damn my sisters and their book-thieving ways) and a plaster skull named Bob.

I agree that Turn Coat wasn't my favorite, I felt like that one and Small Favor were a bit "off" - possibly because White Night was so spectacular that it was hard to follow up. Changes and Ghost Story get right back where they should be, though.

Favorite characters are Harry (duh. I think he's one of the most lovable fantasy characters of all time), Murphy (until recent books, when she starts to get a bit grating), the werewolves, and Mab. Molly initially annoyed the poop out of me, but she takes some very interesting turns in the most recent books that she's growing on me.

I think these are some of the best books I've ever read for building up from the relatively unassuming first few books to an incredibly detailed, world-altering plot. Jim Butcher says there's going to be about twenty books, and then finishes it off with an apocalyptic trilogy which means we're over halfway done. I don't want to think about that.
Seriously. My life will be bereft.

Also... I'm pretty sure I told you to start reading these back when I first got into them about four years ago. Way to finally make it to the party.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #340497 - This was a reply to message #340495
tassanaburrfoot

Tuesday December 13, 2011 3:03 AM
(Spoilers below.)

Turncoat was okay, but only just. I just didn't like the skinwalker. And I really hated what it did to Thomas. I hate when someone so incredibly awesome gets that type of trauma thrust upon them. Especially since he didn't deserve it. Thomas was doing really good for himself, I thought. Besides, he's Harry's brother. And I would hate to see Thomas turned. (He doesn't turn, does he? I mean, like turn on Harry? I'm gonna be so upset if he does.)

I'm on chapter 9 of Changes right now. I already know that Harry dies at the end. Or, at least, that's what my friend told me. (He has a habit of spoiling things like that.)

I think I remember you mentioning these books to me back when I first started on my Harry Potter craze. I was just so absorbed by Harry Potter, that I just couldn't really be bothered with much else. Since I moved here to Idaho, however, I've found many more things to occupy my time.

I became friends with this guy who insisted that I read Storm Front because, and I quote, "If you like Harry Potter, you're gonna love these books. It's got all your favourite things in it, magic, mystery, sex." Of course, I had read the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and the Percy Jackson books. (All good reads, btw, in case you haven't read them yet.) So, I needed some new fuel, because well, that's what books are. "Fuel for the imagination." I have since been practically devouring them. Thankfully, my friend has all of them except for the little book of side jobs. And I started when Ghost Story came out, so I haven't had to wait.

It's good to know that he plans on continuing the series. I really am looking forward to it. I love Harry. He's just so.. He reminds me of someone. (And no, not in a bad way.) He's a very endearing character and I really feel bad for him at times. He just has some of the worst luck. (And some good luck too.)

What did you think of Morgan? I thought he was a self-righteous prick, but at the same time, I thought he went down, it was good. He went down the way he lived his life. And he finally did something right. In his own way, he finally admitted to Harry that he had been wrong. Which, to me, spoke volumes.

I feel bad for Michael, too, though I'm sure Charity is glad that her husband is finally out of the fight. Really sucks, though. Sucks for the werewolves, too. I didn't cry, but I really did feel bad about Kirby. At least he didn't feel any pain, though.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #340510 - This was a reply to message #340497
DarkDalamar20

MP: 6,311

Tuesday December 13, 2011 8:22 PM
I started reading them a few months ago, mostly based on their popularity here on this forum. Right now, I'm on Blood Rites...book 6, I think. So far, I have enjoyed all of the books immensely. I enjoy Butcher's writing style. I love the comedy and action in the books. I am not usually a fan of 1st person novels either. These and Jeff Lindsey's Dexter books seem to be the exception. If I had to pick a favorite so far, I would have to say Summer Knight. I thought the whole showdown in the NeverNever was beyond cool.
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #340515 - This was a reply to message #340510
tassanaburrfoot

Thursday December 15, 2011 3:23 AM
Oh, just wait, Dally. The books get better, though Blood Rites was a pretty good book.

I'm not a fan of 1st person writing either, but I like these. And Hunger Games. And Percy Jackson...

Wow. Seriously, though. Normally I cannot stand 1st person novels. Honest!
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #340524 - This was a reply to message #340515
DarkDalamar20

MP: 6,311

Saturday June 2, 2012 5:08 AM
Reading GHOST STORY right now. I LOVED the end of CHANGES...well, up until the VERY end.

Only about 10 chapters into Ghost Story and don't really know what's going on. But, the changes in the characters are a bit disheartening. I don't like it when good characters change. Hopefully this story has a decent resolution - because right now it's a bit depressing.
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #340992 - This was a reply to message #340524
tassanaburrfoot

Saturday June 2, 2012 12:57 PM
It's depressing. But it's good. I know guys are too tough to admit tears, but there will be times when you get something in your eye.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #340993 - This was a reply to message #340992
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Saturday June 2, 2012 8:13 PM
I tear up every time I hear Liam CLancy sing "William McBride" or "and the band played waltzing Matilda".

Wait, that makes me sound wimpy, doesn't it?
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340994 - This was a reply to message #340993
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday June 3, 2012 6:53 AM
Who cares? As long as you know you can handle the problems life throws at you, you're good. That's my philosophy. (Besides, sometimes having a "wimp" rep can be helpful.)

Edit: Example of my wimpiness: "A Boy and His Frog" by Tom Smith, "Starward Road" by Terri & The Space Pirates (song about the Apollo 1 astronauts' spirits), "A Glorious Dawn" by Symphony of Science.... songs get me a lot.

[[Edited by Silveran on Sunday June 3, 2012 6:58 AM]]
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #340997 - This was a reply to message #340994
Avenging_Angel

MP: 6,290

Wednesday June 6, 2012 11:00 PM
QUOTED  Reading GHOST STORY right now. I LOVED the end of CHANGES...well, up until the VERY end.

The ending of Changes was mostly fantastic, until I realized the Lords of Outer Night and the Red King were a bunch of pansies. Talk about your disappointing ultimate villains... which just cements my belief that whoever the "black council" really is, they're serious players since they managed to make those losers a serious threat.

QUOTED  Only about 10 chapters into Ghost Story and don't really know what's going on. But, the changes in the characters are a bit disheartening. I don't like it when good characters change. Hopefully this story has a decent resolution - because right now it's a bit depressing.

Yes and no. I like the changes in Butters and some of the minor characters, and Murphy makes sense even if it is really disheartening. Molly is interesting, because rereading Proven Guilty, you can see which of her future possibilities she seems to be rapidly reaching.
The plot does have good resolution, though it will leave you howling for the next one. (Cold Days, due out later this year)

So, what are your theories on the Black Council's nature, kids? My pet theory is some sort of alliance between some of the Fallen and dark wizards like Cowl, trying to bring about the apocalypse. The use of hellfire at Arctis Tor back in Proven Guilty points at the Fallen, and the implications that Lea was somehow corrupted or being controlled sounds like possession. I'm not sure if any of the Fallen we've seen thus far would have enough power to do that to Mab and Aurora, so I'm guessing it's not necessarily the Denarians.
Not sure where the Outsiders fit in here either. Jim Butcher has confirmed that after twenty "case file" books he intends to end the series with an apocalyptic trilogy (tentatively titled Stars and Stones, Hell's Bells, and Empty Night), so it's just figuring out who would WANT the apocalypse and be capable of manipulating the entire Red Court and some of the most powerful Faeries.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341002 - This was a reply to message #340997

Listing 1 to 10 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3