AnimusAniKorSaxcian
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 488

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 3, 2009 10:34 PM
Nietzsche, The Birth of Tragedy.

Not all that excited really. Never been a fan of his philosophy. What am I kidding I am not a huge fan of philosophy period.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #334436 - This was a reply to message #334386
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 6, 2009 2:56 AM
Nietzche is...different. At least he can be. Also sprach Zarathustra might be a better place to start, if you don't like reading philosophy. Short and reads more like a religious text than a to-the-point discussion on morals.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #334527 - This was a reply to message #334436
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Sunday September 6, 2009 3:00 AM
STill plodding through "STand on Zanzibar" and "Anackire".
The former is pretty decent, a sharp critique of consumerism and overpopulation, the latter a sequel to a, so far, better book.

And I started on "Twilight Watch" by Sergei Lukyanenko. Quite good. Though the blurb says "J.K. Rowling, Russian style" it's waaaaaay better than HP. The guy has actually made some effort to expand his world beyond the borders of Moscow (and Russia) and it has far fewer internal inconsistancies than HP-world.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #334528 - This was a reply to message #330719
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Sunday September 6, 2009 3:00 PM
Yeah? We started on "On Truth and Lies" and it was interesting, just overtly wordy.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #334542 - This was a reply to message #334528
Gaaras_Gurl17

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 35

Sunday September 6, 2009 9:07 PM
I finished the first three dragonlance novels and i am now working on pet cematary by stephan king.
 Message #334550 - This was a reply to message #334542
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Monday September 7, 2009 10:57 PM
Gaaras? Can I call you Gar? That novel is terrifying. Was the first Stephen King novel I ever read, and that was when I was 11 or 12. Nightmares for months after I was done. Very good novel. Puts the movie to shame. The shining is equally terrifying. Misery is good too, just more creepy.

Message #334608 - This was a reply to message #334550
Aeramae

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

Thursday September 10, 2009 8:53 PM
You want outright creepy, read one of the following: IT, The Shining, Cell, or the Nightmares and Dreamscapes short story collection. Actually, it'd be easier to tell you what I don't think you should read; Tommyknockers. I keep trying to get through it, but the damn thing keeps losing interest for me.
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #334809 - This was a reply to message #334608
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Thursday September 10, 2009 9:16 PM
I have always wanted to read IT as I love the movie.

Message #334810 - This was a reply to message #334809
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Thursday September 10, 2009 9:58 PM
I read two books last semester for a contemporary literature class that I really wanted to suggest.

The first was by Brian Francis Slattery and was I believe his first novel called "Liberation being the Adventures of the Slick Six After the Collapse of the United States of America. It is about an American society in which the US suffers a crushing economic crash leaving the States lawless. It mixes the best of western and science fiction to make an action packed yet terrifying commentary on the nature of humanity and the modern economic policy.

The other is a book by Jewish author Philip Roth called the Plot Against America, and is an alternate history of pre-WWII, in which Charles Lindbergh is elected president under the isolationist friendly party. The US proceeds to seek friendly alliances with Nazi Germany. The horrific part of the story is how different American culture becomes. Don't want to ruin it all though.

Highly suggest these two novels. Both are kind of short, so they won't take too much of your time.

Message #334811 - This was a reply to message #334810
DarkDalamar20

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

Friday September 11, 2009 7:25 AM
QUOTED  Tommyknockers. I keep trying to get through it, but the damn thing keeps losing interest for me.

I tried reading that one in Junior High and then again in after High School. I can't get into it. In fact, the only thing I can remember is that she is naked in the beginning of the book....I'm a dude!

QUOTED  The other is a book by Jewish author Philip Roth called the Plot Against America, and is an alternate history of pre-WWII, in which Charles Lindbergh is elected president under the isolationist friendly party. The US proceeds to seek friendly alliances with Nazi Germany. The horrific part of the story is how different American culture becomes. Don't want to ruin it all though.

That sounds VERY interesting. I'm a somewhat fan of WWII alternate history novels. Will have to check this one out.
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #334823 - This was a reply to message #334809

Listing 91 to 100 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 8 9 10 11 12