PAGES: 42 5 6 7 8 9
nanuk
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,373

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday May 31, 2009 4:33 PM
QUOTED  Anyone read and had any thoughts on the series before I delve into it?

I've read the trilogy several times, and the little extra books to go with it (Lyra's Oxford etc.) and absolutely adore them. One of my favourite all time series- but it's the kind of writing style I like, and has the kinds of themes I find interesting.

Currently re-reading most of the terribly entertaining Dresden Files books. Was supervising exams last week so needed something I could dip into. Got through the first three in short order.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

"You know what I'm saying."
 Message #332864 - This was a reply to message #332791
Max

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,041

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday June 2, 2009 5:53 AM
Finally finished A Feast for Crows, and have now picked up Atlas Shrugged. Started it a long time ago, but stopped when the dog I had at the time ripped it to pieces. Got a new copy now, and am about to commence reading.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love softly, and with All your Heart
 Message #332893 - This was a reply to message #332864
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Wednesday June 3, 2009 2:21 AM
Have recently finished "The Storm Lord" by Tanith Lee, part of her collection titled "The Wars of Vis".
Fairly typical Lee, heavy on the sexuality and the darker parts of it, as well as love and affection. Otherwise a fairly ok fantasy story about a guy who ends up being king of the world.
Not as good as her Flat Earth or Paradys books, or "Kill the dead", but better than "Drinking Sapphire wine".
which is to say I enjoyed reading it, but probably won't read it again.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #332904 - This was a reply to message #332893
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday June 7, 2009 2:09 PM
Currently working my way through Bones of the Dragon by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, because I've been their bitch since I first picked up Best of Tales when I was eleven.
It's pretty decent, but would it kill them to have a setting that didn't rely on the struggles of dragons to determine the fate of the world? Aside from Rose of the Prophet (which was highly underrated) I'm drawing a blank.
Also, they need to stop creating one-off worlds and only ever returning to the Dragonlance world, which of all of them is the least original and interesting. Give me some more Deathgate, damnit!

Also reading Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris. I'm trying to pace myself on reading these, since they're like twizzlers. Not the best UF series, but damn addictive and I need something to tide me over until I can get the new Dresden.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Sunday June 7, 2009 2:11 PM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #333005 - This was a reply to message #332904
nanuk

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,373

Sunday June 7, 2009 4:49 PM
QUOTED  Also reading Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris. I'm trying to pace myself on reading these, since they're like twizzlers. Not the best UF series, but damn addictive

Oh tell me about it. It's ridiculous. Just read the latest one a few weeks ago, Dead and Gone- lots of Eric, mwahah. And it reminded me that True Blood is due back soon- in,like, a week! Aces.

QUOTED  I need something to tide me over until I can get the new Dresden.

... 'read' the audiobook of it (I reckon it speaks highly of James Marsters' skill that it doesn't bother me when he does the female characters, lol- doesn't attempt a falsetto). Enjoyed it very much. Extra large dollop of Council-related intrigue. trying to persuade brother to give them another stab so that we can try a game using unisystem, lol.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

"You know what I'm saying."
 Message #333008 - This was a reply to message #333005
TheShadowlord

Sunday June 7, 2009 11:14 PM
Reading Isaac Asimov's "Only a trillion", a collection of introductory science essays.
The man can write entertainingly and understandably. You can forgive him that most of his stuff is 20 year out of date. especially when much of it is still true, as far as we know.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #333009 - This was a reply to message #333008
DarkDalamar20

MP: 6,311

Tuesday June 9, 2009 12:07 PM
QUOTED  Currently working my way through Bones of the Dragon by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman

I've noticed that there are quite a few new Dragonlance books out there, have you read any of these? Those by Knaak, etc? I haven't read a Dragonlance book in a LONG minute, and have thought about getting back into them - but I don't know if my tastes have...outgrown...the series so to speak.

QUOTED  Give me some more Deathgate, damnit!

Hell to the yes.

I just re-read those about late last year and was still excited while going through them. GREAT series. I'd love to see a return to those worlds.
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #333041 - This was a reply to message #333005
TheShadowlord

Friday June 19, 2009 4:20 AM
"The Day Watch" by Sergei Lukyanenko. Another book in his Watch series, this time from the point of view of the 'bad guys'.
Forget the movies. The books are far more detailed and have far more moral grey.
I had intended to read Tanith Lee's "Anackire", a sequel to the Storm Lord, but I wanted a change of pace, so I read Brian Aldiss' "SEasons in flight" first.

It was good. Very good. Small stories about poor people in crappy towns, usually in the Carpathians.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #333262 - This was a reply to message #333041
SisqAlpha

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 953

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday June 19, 2009 10:14 AM
Interview with the Vampire.

I think I've found one of the key contributors to the whole Emo movement. Make me fucking gag.
"Tuna and bread. Tuna and bread."-----

"Fuck tuna and bread. Star Trek is on."
-------------------------------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~George S. Patton
 Message #333272 - This was a reply to message #333262
Avenging_Angel

MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday June 22, 2009 9:21 AM
Finally finished Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan and moving on to Path of Daggers. At this rate, I'll actually finish the series. After, what five years?

Finished Bones of the Dragon, which did improve quite a bit towards the end with the introduction of some more interesting characters, but the pace of the whole book was rather odd. Definitely will check out the next one whenever it comes out, though.

Also reading Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel.

QUOTED  Oh tell me about it. It's ridiculous. Just read the latest one a few weeks ago, Dead and Gone- lots of Eric, mwahah. And it reminded me that True Blood is due back soon- in,like, a week! Aces.

Is True Blood any good? I keep seeing all the previews for it, but the chick who plays Sookie always slightly annoyed me, so I'm wary of giving it a go.

QUOTED  I've noticed that there are quite a few new Dragonlance books out there, have you read any of these? Those by Knaak, etc? I haven't read a Dragonlance book in a LONG minute, and have thought about getting back into them - but I don't know if my tastes have...outgrown...the series so to speak.

I haven't read any DL books in quite a while, sad to say. Not since I made the mistake of watching that god-awful cartoon adaption of Dragons of an Autumn Twilight. I've heard that some of the newer ones by Knaak are good, but I just don't have any motivation to find them. Read too many crappy DL books too close together back in the day, I think.

QUOTED  Hell to the yes.

I just re-read those about late last year and was still excited while going through them. GREAT series. I'd love to see a return to those worlds.

Damn skippy. But nooo, we just keep getting stale re-treads of Dragonlance, or new worlds that lack a third of the sheer off-the-wall creativity that went into the Deathgate setting.

Bah and humbug.

QUOTED  Interview with the Vampire.

I think I've found one of the key contributors to the whole Emo movement. Make me fucking gag.

Nah. Anne Rice is for TEH GOFFIC types. Emos all obsess over Twilight instead.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #333303 - This was a reply to message #333272

Listing 61 to 70 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 5 6 7 8 9