PAGES: 42 38 39 40 41 42
TheShadowlord
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday April 21, 2013 1:13 AM
"Those who watch", a short novel by Robert Silverberg. The entire point of it, as far as I could see, was to put humans and aliens (who like a bit like cartilaginious slugs wearing human suits to blend in) in bed with eachother. These skinsuits are so good they have functioning sexual organs, but no pseudo-veins. You could excuse the humans, because they were presented with something htat looked like a superhot human even if they intellectually knew they were aliens. But the aliens? How the hell could they find humans attractive enough to get it on? because the aliens were interested in this, not just playing along.

Silverberg has some good stuff, but this was not part of that.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341818 - This was a reply to message #341817
TheShadowlord

Thursday April 25, 2013 1:20 AM
I'm about to start ERB's "The Land that Time Forgot", which I am lead to believe is something along the lines of Doyle's "The Lost World".

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341822 - This was a reply to message #341818
TheShadowlord

Friday May 10, 2013 5:07 PM
"THe Land that Time forgot" was pretty forgettable. Not Burrough's best by any stretch of the imagination. I just get so surprised by the casual racism in the books. I know what time it was written but it still shakes me out of the narrative.

Also read Charles Stross' "The Apocalypse Codex", 4th in his Laundry series (Think Call of Cthulhu Delta Green, or spy fiction written by Lovecraft). Very good, and a nice plot I might have to lift for an RPG game one day. Fortunately, it's easy enough to adapt to non-modern settings, unlike the previous installments.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341844 - This was a reply to message #341822
TheShadowlord

Wednesday May 15, 2013 5:56 PM
Finally finished "Time and the Gods" a collection of Lord Dunsany's short stories (comprising the previous smaller collections "Time and the Gods", The Book of Wonder", "The Last Book of Wonder" and "The Sword of Welleran"). I've had it at my bedside for the past two years or so, only dipping into it occasionally since I'm usually too tired to read when I go to bed.

I've mentioned Dunsany before, I know, and some of you may already be familiar with his work. If you aren't, you owe it to yourselves to read him. He has a wonderful way with language and a truly remarkable gift for stories of gods and pure wonder. He is also one of the main sources of influence for Lovecraft, especially Lovecraft's Dream stories, which in many ways are him poorly imitating Dunsany's style.
Dunsany is the sort writer whose prose is far more poetic and beautiful than most poets' poetry. He really is one of the greats of fantasy, and often unjustly ignored when lists of great writers are compiled.

On to Adrian Cole's Dream Lords series. Book 3: Bane of Nightmares.
I picked this book up at used book store when I was over the pond last summer. I will sometimes just pick up an unfamliar author at random just to see what it's like. I only barely got into it, and haven't read the previous 2 books. In some ways, the setting reminds me of M. John Harrison's Viriconium, a far future with humanity having lost most of its technology, and stuck with some remnants they don't really understand and some people with magical (or high tech) powers. Perhaps comparisons to A.E. van Vogt's "The Empire of the Atom" and "The Wizard of Linn" are more appropriate, or Roger Zelazny's "Lord of Light".

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341857 - This was a reply to message #341844
Lairston

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 2

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 24, 2013 4:23 AM
I'm presently reading Erin Healy's Afloat with my girlfriend.

I'm only about 40 pages in so far.
http://www.rpgtools.us - need a name check this site out
 Message #341873 - This was a reply to message #341857
TheShadowlord

Friday May 24, 2013 10:27 PM
"Bane of Nightmares" was pretty forgettable, but perfectly acceptable pulp SF/F adventure.

Have reread Practchett's "Pyramids" one of my favorite Discworld books. I generally prefer his earlier stuff where more stuff was for the jokes rather than being his soapbox to rant from.

Since my FLCBS had them on sale, I bought and read Iron Man "The Armor Wars" and "Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War vol. 1" and was rather disappointed. The Green Lantern was ok, but I'm probably not going to bother getting the rest. The Iron Man, like just about every Marvel comic I try reading, left me bored and disappointed. the stories all seem so much more interesting when I read about them on Wikipedia than they actually are.

I also read "The Goblin Tower" by L. Sprague deCamp, first book of the Reluctant King trilogy. de Camp has, I discovered after reading a few of his books, a very distinctive style; certain words and phrases which he uses a bit more often than is strictly recommended for good writers, and his plots and characters become quite predicatable. His books are also immensely fun to read, so I'm not complaining much.
On to "the Clocks of Iraz", the second book of the series. If you like Pratchett you can see one of his distinguished predecessors in de Camp.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341877 - This was a reply to message #341873
TheShadowlord

Wednesday May 29, 2013 2:44 PM
"The Rivers of Time", another one by de Camp. This time about time travelling hunting safari groups. Not quite as overtly funny as most the books I've mentioned earlier, but still good.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341887 - This was a reply to message #341877
Exile

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 850

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday July 7, 2013 5:35 AM
The Bounty by Caroline Alexander and a collection of Lovecraft
And you know the quick path,
the righteous the way back,