PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 41 to 50 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 3 4 5 6 7
Avenging_Angel
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday March 29, 2009 1:03 PM
Haven't had much time for reading lately, unfortunately.

Recently finished Rites by Tad Williams. Collection of short stuff. Most of it was decent, with my two favorites being "The Happiest Dead Boy In The World" and "The Writer's Child". The former was based off his Otherland books, thus a strong bias, though I would have liked to see more of the characters from the books in it. The Writer's Child was a plain great story, and my opinion of it most certainly was not influenced by the presence of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, not at all. In the slightest.

Currently reading Mean Streets, a collection of four urban fantasy novellas. Already finish the first two, "The Warrior" by Jim Butcher and "The Difference A Day Can Make" by Simon R. Green.
The first one was, of course, the Dresden Files, so I was a pretty easy sell on it. I'm getting a little tired of the focus on Michael and the swords in recent books and stories, though - there's so much else going on in the setting that it's ridiculous, and being beaten over the head with the religious themes is getting old. Though I will submit that the next time someone asks me why I'm so fond of Harry's character, I'll point them to the part where he attempts to submit a bill for services rendered to an archangel.

The second one was also great. I keep coming across Green's Nightside stuff in short fiction versions, and I inevitably like it. Damn the library and having none of his novels. I might have to break my policy on buying books I haven't read. His stuff is a bit like a cross between Neil Gaiman and Jim Butcher, with a dose of Constantine and something else altogether. In a good way. In a way that makes a dead guy, a demonic P.I, and a normal middle-class woman fleeing evil cyborgs not only perfectly logical, but extremely entertaining.

QUOTED  Heard a rumor that Eli Roth is set to direct a movie adaptation of it, and dear god I hope that's true. That would be one hell of a movie, much better than The Happening. If done right that is.

Yup. Supposedly work on it is starting at some point this year, though I haven't heard anything new about it. I'm still waiting on the George Romero adaption of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon that's also supposed to be in the works...

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Sunday March 29, 2009 1:09 PM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #332224 - This was a reply to message #332200
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday April 4, 2009 6:46 AM
"Drinking sapphire wine" by Tanith Lee.
Not her best, but passable. But I get really tired of books where people have to make up new words for everything. If you mean to say 'darling' use 'darling' not 'avelle' or whatever.

New words are only necessary when the story has an important concept the book's language lacks a word for.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #332313 - This was a reply to message #332224
Roslolian

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 4

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday April 5, 2009 10:38 PM
I recently finished Atlas Shrugged and was ultimately unimpressed. Rand murders (figuratively) her one good character for the sake of her philosophy, which is in and of itself relatively worthless as stands. I am currently reading selections from Lord Byron.
 Message #332335 - This was a reply to message #332313
TheShadowlord

Monday April 6, 2009 1:54 AM
Never did like Byron much. Nor Shelley, come to think of it.
John Polidori's vampire story was decent, though.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #332337 - This was a reply to message #332335
DarkDalamar20

MP: 6,311

Monday April 6, 2009 7:36 AM
QUOTED  I recently finished Atlas Shrugged and was ultimately unimpressed. Rand murders (figuratively) her one good character for the sake of her philosophy, which is in and of itself relatively worthless as stands.

Eh - the book was decent at best. Definitely not something I would read a multitude of times.

Currently reading The Stand again. Only a couple chapters into it (again), but I'm giving it a fair chance this time. There's something comforting about carrying around a book that could probably kill a man if thrown at them.
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #332340 - This was a reply to message #332337
Aeramae

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

Tuesday April 7, 2009 9:22 AM
Yes, it makes for an awesome weapon, doorstop, paperweight, etc. But, it is also a good read. Glad to hear you are giving it a shot. I'm currently bouncing back and forth between a non-fiction book and a fiction book. The two are Cell, by Stephen King (almost done though), and Kitchen Confidential, by Anthony Bourdain. I need more books.
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #332368 - This was a reply to message #332340
Avenging_Angel

MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday April 25, 2009 6:18 PM
QUOTED  There's something comforting about carrying around a book that could probably kill a man if thrown at them.

Little known fact: GRRM's A Clash of Kings can in fact make people bleed if struck in the head with it.

No, I'm not going to explain how I know that. Just... trust me.

Speaking of huge books, just finished Otherland: Sea of Silver Light by Tad Williams. Absolutely wonderful series, and yet again makes me wonder how his fantasy novels can be so terribly dragging compared to them.

About to start New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #332518 - This was a reply to message #332368
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

Monday April 27, 2009 1:16 AM
Robin Hobb's The Farseer trilogy.

It's meh.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #332521 - This was a reply to message #332518
SisqAlpha

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 953

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 27, 2009 9:23 AM
QUOTED  but I'm giving it a fair chance this time.

Go DD! Read it if only for no other reason than to understand the Captain Trips jokes.

QUOTED  The two are Cell, by Stephen King

That wasn't too bad either.... The whole concept still gives me the shivers.

Currently reading: The Apocalypse Code.
"Tuna and bread. Tuna and bread."-----

"Fuck tuna and bread. Star Trek is on."
-------------------------------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~George S. Patton
 Message #332524 - This was a reply to message #332521
TheShadowlord

Tuesday April 28, 2009 2:32 AM
QUOTED  Robin Hobb's The Farseer trilogy.

It's meh.

I've heard many people wax poetic about its virtues.

I just didn't like her Liveship Traders all that much.

Have read "Pandora's STar" and recently started "Judas Unchained" by Peter F. Hamilton.
SF, fight the alien menace. Hamilton can't make an interesting character to save his life.
Well, he couldn't in "The Reality Dysfunction". Here, there's one decent guy. The story and technology are the only interesting things, and he has a little Robert Jordan problem - never writes 10 pages where 100 will do.
But all in all it's ok.

Will start on Gene Wolfe's "The Knight" later. I have a feeling I will like it.
and I have to read it because Neil Gaiman says all the cool people will laugh at me if I don't.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #332530 - This was a reply to message #332521

Listing 41 to 50 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 3 4 5 6 7