PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 401 to 410 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 38 39 40 41 42
Avenging_Angel
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 22, 2013 12:42 AM
QUOTED  Good for you. Now just wait for the disappointment and pain when he starts reading TP's latest efforts.

Since his latest efforts are actually him narrating to his daughter due to the advanced state of his disease, I shan't hold it against him.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341609 - This was a reply to message #341599
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday January 23, 2013 9:38 PM
Finished "The Lion of Comarre" and "against the fall of night" by Arthur C. Clarke.
Both have a dying earth/city at the end of time theme (and the latter is an earlier version of the superior "City and the Stars"). Clarke's debt to Stapleton is clearly shown in these stories.
And in case you couldn't guess, these are good stories. It's ACC, he has hardly written a bad thing (though the later Rama books came close).
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341619 - This was a reply to message #341609
Lunitari0

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday January 26, 2013 7:01 PM
I'm reading "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. I've turned into such a Dystopian nerd

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #341625 - This was a reply to message #341619
TheShadowlord

Sunday February 3, 2013 11:53 PM
"Vengeance", first book of "The Tainted Realm", by Ian Irvine.
My sister got me this for Christmas, admitting that she really had no idea what I liked and what I had so she just bought something at random.

Only two chapters into it, and I am not impressed so far. Wooden characters and general writing abilities which seem better suited to bad fanfics. What should have been heartwrenching and gory scenes seemed just bland. I'll see if it gets better.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341645 - This was a reply to message #341625
TheShadowlord

Wednesday February 20, 2013 3:09 AM
Finally finished the aforementioned book. It didn't get better as it went along. The basic plot could work as the basis of an RPG adventure, but the characters were shit, they were too adaptive and somehow everything that they ever needed to know was written down in some book that one of the main characters happened to have read and memorized. I won't be picking up the rest of the series, and really I want to get rid of this book.
But since it's a gift, even one which my sister admitted she bought at random and had no idea if I'd like, I feel like shit for not liking it and worse for wanting to get rid of it.

Anyway, on to M. John Harrison's "Empty space: a haunting". It's the third book in the series started by "Light" and continued with "Nova swing". Harrison, as always, is a superb writer. It doesn't really matter what he writes, he's a true master of prose. He could probably write about an average trip to the shitter and make it sound like the most interesting experience this year.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341679 - This was a reply to message #341645
Nix

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 22, 2013 10:52 AM
Currently reading Voidfarer the third (and as far as I know last) book in the Moonworlds Saga by Sean McMullen. Each book in the series stands on its own and this one is a High-Fantasy take on the classic "War of the Worlds" story. In this case the alien invaders are sorcerers who have come to the world of Verral to take over. I've read the book a couple times before, but its a good way to pass a day or two.
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #341684 - This was a reply to message #341679
TheShadowlord

Friday February 22, 2013 11:39 AM
I always feel guilty when I re-read a book I like rather than readings omething I haven't. Then I feel guilty not re-reading a really awesome book I haven't read in far too long.

Then I feel guilty for not reading more sensible literature like philology or history or archeology.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341686 - This was a reply to message #341684
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Saturday March 2, 2013 2:05 AM
Sadly, school's been eating my life, so I haven't had much opportunity to get out to the library. As a result I've mostly just been rereading my Poe collection and some books on Romanticism to fuel motivation to make things.

And things I'm editing for people. I see indented double spaced paragraphs when I close my eyes...
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341700 - This was a reply to message #341686
TheShadowlord

Monday April 8, 2013 7:28 PM
Something unprecendented occurred (or rather, did not occur). Since January I have read only a single book.
This hasn't happened since I learned how to read. For some truly incomprehensible reason, I just didn't feel like reading anything not on a screen. Sure. reading splat books in preperation for game night, or rule books, or cooking or newspapers etc., but real novel reading just didn't appeal to me.

I finally got over it and finished "Empty Space" which was the weakest of the three books in the series. It felt more like undoing much of what had been done in the previous two. STill, it was M. John Harrison, and so was fricking amazing.

Over to the novelization of Time Tunnel (book 2 - Timeslip), bought entirely on the strength that it was written by Murray Leinster, a guy who wrote very enjoyable stories.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341801 - This was a reply to message #341700
TheShadowlord

Tuesday April 16, 2013 12:22 AM
Timeslip was ok.

On to "The Flight of the Eisenstein" a Horus Heresy book in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. A frined of mine forgot it here on Thursday and I decided to read ons 40k stuff. It's kind of meh so far. Not bad, but not terribly riveting. I suppose I should have started with something by Dan Abnett, who I hear only good things about.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341817 - This was a reply to message #341801

Listing 401 to 410 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 38 39 40 41 42