PAGES: 42 38 39 40 41 42
TheShadowlord
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday December 7, 2012 3:17 AM
A book of Poul Anderson stories, which' name escapes me a the moment.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341509 - This was a reply to message #341504
Lunitari0

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 10, 2012 3:56 AM
I just finished "Cold Days" by Jim Butcher

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #341514 - This was a reply to message #341504
TheShadowlord

Thursday December 20, 2012 11:42 PM
Just finished "Jack of Shadows" by Roger Zelazny. Good, but not as good as "Lord of light", whith which it shares a few similarities.
On to "The Lion of Comarrie" by Arthur C Clarke.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341531 - This was a reply to message #341514
DarkDalamar20

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

Friday January 4, 2013 8:40 PM
Not reading anything right now, but in 4 short days I'll be reading A Memory of Light, the final book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Going to be bittersweet, but I can't wait. Been reading that series since the mid 90s so it's been a long time coming.

And with it being the last book, now you can start the series SL!
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #341577 - This was a reply to message #341531
TheShadowlord

Monday January 7, 2013 3:55 PM
Oh, I read until book 10 before I gave up. I think Book 7 was the latest at the time I started, so that would put it about 1997.

Read "The Tainted Sword" by D.J. Heinrich yesterday. First book of the Penhalgion trilogy.
It's been a while since I read the old D&D novels, and since I am running a Mystara campaign, I should get reacquainted with the literature.

Book 1 is good. A story of knighthood, honor, betrayal, redemption, love and tragedy, all set to the lovable Known World. I read it several times before finding the last two books. My first impression of the the rest of the series was not good, but it's been years since I have read them, so my tastes might have changed.

On to book 2, "The Dragon's Tomb"

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341584 - This was a reply to message #341577
TheShadowlord

Friday January 11, 2013 2:33 PM
(minor spoilers)

I enjoyed "The Dragon's Tomb" morethan I did the last time I read it. I still think "THe Tainted Sword" is the better of the two, adn despite my abhorrance of leaving stories unfinished, it actually works well as a standalone story.

Mostly, the two seem to have little in common in theme and content.

Actually, that's not quite true. The story of the trilogy is introduced early on and important elements and hints abound, but these elements work just as well as plot points for TTS only, ignoring the other books.

Anyway, now on "The Fall of Magic". I think what I disliked about the rest of the series is the apocalyptic nature of the story and the rather unhappy ending.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341587 - This was a reply to message #341584
TheShadowlord

Sunday January 13, 2013 11:39 PM
(spoiler warnings)

Have finished "The Fall of Magic" and what I didn't like about it was quite simply the apocalyptic story and when I was a bit younger I didn't at all like the idea of people in eternal torment for the sake of the greater good. Once the good guys won, things were supposed to go back to normal. People die, sure, but they aren't put in eternal torment when they win. Plus, the ending was a bit deus ex machina, even if it wasn't out of the blue. That lessens the effort of the heroes.

On to "Dark Knight of Karameikos" by Timothy Brown, another Mystara novel.

I'm so glad I decided to run a Mystara campaign. I've forgotten how much awesomeness there was there. Awesome epic fantasy and awesome cheese.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341592 - This was a reply to message #341587
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 15, 2013 2:49 AM
I got the boy hooked on Pratchett. I'm so proud.

Gearing myself up to slog through A Memory of Light. This is going to be painful, I suspect, but also highly satisfying - I have literally grown up around this series. (my older sister read them when I was still a wee sprog)
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341595 - This was a reply to message #341592
TheShadowlord

Tuesday January 15, 2013 2:00 PM
Good for you. Now just wait for the disappointment and pain when he starts reading TP's latest efforts.

I'm going to wait for the paperback of "A memory of light". I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341599 - This was a reply to message #341595
TheShadowlord

Monday January 21, 2013 11:37 PM
"Dark knight of Karameikos" had the same problems it had when I first read it. It started well, then right towards the end got rather silly and had a little too easy ending. It's like the last 20% of the book was a boring cutscene when it should have been playable.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341605 - This was a reply to message #341599

Listing 391 to 400 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 38 39 40 41 42