What are you reading now? IIII
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What are you reading now? IIII

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 381 to 390 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 37 38 39 40 41
Silveran
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday November 8, 2012 1:18 AM
All of the above.

My new DM is running a campaign for us currently situated in the Silver Marches. Being able to play is starting to recharge my DMing batteries, too.

I'm considering running a game to alternate with his, but with a number of tweaks. Once, I'm done with these, I think I might look back over the DragonLance source books. I'm thinking of running an Age of Might, just prior the Third Dragon War campaign. It would still let me have dragons in the game, but it also makes it a lower magic game than FR. My PC's bow is ridiculously overpowered, mighty +8 longbow +4 (large creature) so 2d6+12, with 2d6 Fire, 1d8 Sonic, 1d6 Frost, 2d4 Acid, 2d6/2d10 Shocking Burst, Keen, used by a lvl 10 Wemic Ranger {ECL 13}, with Many Shot and Rapid Shot feats. So, six arrows a round (class has 2 attacks per round, each attack has two arrows, plus Rapid Shot for a third ranged attack for two more). It also would let me restrict the class/races a bit. With the DL time period in question, the races are much more segregated, so I could tell them "these are the races you can pick, but everyone has to agree on only one race." And, then go from there (no mages if they pick dwarves for example). It also saves me from having to create something from scratch.

First, I've got to talk to everyone and see if they want to have an alternate game, of course.

[[Edited by Silveran on Thursday November 8, 2012 1:19 AM]]
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341417 - This was a reply to message #341410
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday November 8, 2012 3:02 PM
Good grief, how can you have all that magic on the bow without it slipping over into epic items? Or is your DM the kind that allows those absurd enhancement jewels from Magic Item Compendium?

And you cannot stack Manyshot and other attacks. Manyshot is a standard action, while the Rapid Shot works as part of your full-round action to make multiple attacks based on BAB.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341421 - This was a reply to message #341417
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 9, 2012 10:34 AM
No, it's not enhancement jewels... his interpretation of the item creation rules is a bit stupid.

I should have stated the DM ruled the Many Shot standard action as unrealistic. If you can grab and nock two or three arrows in 6 seconds, you can grab two arrows at the same time to load those same three shots. This was helped by the fact that I actually did it with two shots, both arrows hitting a target at 30 feet... he doubles the attack and range penalties for each arrow shot, though, as I pointed out it's almost impossible to aim consistently. He actually came to me to ask if it was possible, and I told him I didn't know, so we took one of my cheap fiberglass bows out to my shooting area on the property. This was helped by the fact that I actually did it with two shots, both arrows hitting a target at 30 feet... he doubles the attack and range penalties for each arrow shot, though. Using a modern notch nock it took me about 15 seconds to fire the two shots, but with my bulbous nock arrows I could do it just barely. Prior to that, I was just using the Many Shot feat, then at hitting the next feat level, grabbed rapid, thinking I would be able to have two arrows a round and chose different targets if I wanted to (basically more control). First time I declared using Rapid Shot, he asks me the attack roll of "the second arrow of your first shot".

I'm not going to argue if he's going to let me do something in my favor....I'm not an idiot. I did point out to him later that the magic items are WAY overpowered and the stacking was a bit much. He's letting it go for the moment. It's also part of the reason I'm thinking of running my own game.

Message #341424 - This was a reply to message #341421
TheShadowlord

Friday November 9, 2012 2:24 PM
Ah, that explains it.

In my current Mystara campaign the 'worst' houserule I've come up with is removing Item Creation feats as a prerequisite for creating magic items. The gang doesn't get a lot of gold, so they are not rolling in magic. ICFs making crafting easier and give a few minor bonuses on the side.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341425 - This was a reply to message #341424
TheShadowlord

Sunday November 18, 2012 8:30 PM
Reading some stories by Manly Wade Wellman

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341438 - This was a reply to message #341425
TheShadowlord

Wednesday November 21, 2012 12:42 AM
"Who fears the devil", about a guy (bard) called John who wanders the American hick country and comes across nasty supernatural things.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341453 - This was a reply to message #341438
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Monday November 26, 2012 12:33 AM
I will be reading Cold Days by Jim Butcher, as soon as my copy arrives. And no one will see me for several days.

In the meantime, I'm rereading the collected works of Edgar Alan Poe for the gajillionth time since I was seven or so. You'd think I might be bored of it by now... but you would be wrong.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341491 - This was a reply to message #341453
TheShadowlord

Tuesday November 27, 2012 4:13 AM
Poe is always worth rereading. I'm working through "The SEcond book of Wonder" by Lord Dunsany. If you like Poe and Lovecraft, you owe it to yourself to check out Dunsany.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341495 - This was a reply to message #341491
Silveran

Tuesday November 27, 2012 1:50 PM
The Barsoom Series by ERB. I was in the mood for some old school sci-fi/fantasy.

Message #341499 - This was a reply to message #341495
tassanaburrfoot

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

Wednesday December 5, 2012 12:22 AM
"Cold Days" by Jim Butcher.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341504 - This was a reply to message #341499

Listing 381 to 390 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 37 38 39 40 41