PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 371 to 380 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 36 37 38 39 40
Lunitari0
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday October 15, 2012 7:21 AM
I'm currently reading "The Dresden Files", book 6, "Blood Rites".

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #341368 - This was a reply to message #334870
DragonLady

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 310

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 16, 2012 2:43 AM
The Hunger Games
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
 Message #341370 - This was a reply to message #341368
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 16, 2012 8:41 PM
Reading "Kwaidan", Japanese ghost stories collected by Lafcadio Hearn, a Greek-Irish natualized Japanese citizen who did great work collecting Japanese (and other far eastern) stories and making the culture accessable to the west.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341373 - This was a reply to message #341370
TheShadowlord

Thursday October 25, 2012 8:07 PM
Kwaidan was good, though this particular collection had several Chinese supernatural stories, and a couple of brief informative texts about things like incense. All in all, good stuff.

On to Robert W. Chamber's classic "The King in Yellow". Apart from Poe and Dunsany, this is the one piece of work that was Lovecraft's big inspiration. The idea of the Necronomicon came from this work. I've only gotten 4 pages into it, but it is very promising thus far.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341397 - This was a reply to message #341373
TheShadowlord

Monday October 29, 2012 1:58 PM
So far the King in Yellow is good. Not quite as good as I'd hoped, but unrealistically high expectations tend to ruin things. Definitely worth reading if you like Lovecraft, or just creepy stuff in general.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341403 - This was a reply to message #341397
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 30, 2012 7:47 PM
Working my way through Gerald's Game by Stephen King. I started this one once back in high school and was icked out enough to never finish it, but I'm on a mission to read all his books. So far it's still... disturbing, but still quite good.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341405 - This was a reply to message #341403
TheShadowlord

Wednesday October 31, 2012 2:43 PM
I don't really like King. I started out reading "Pet Semetary" and thought it was great, then went on to "Four after midnight" and "It", "Desperation" and a couple others.
What struck me was that he has about half a dozen characters in his repotoire and just changes their name for a new story, and he writes the set-up of the story well, very well, then about halfway through he can't figure what should happen, so he pulls something stupid out of his arse which ruins the whole story.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341406 - This was a reply to message #341405
TheShadowlord

Monday November 5, 2012 4:01 AM
Finishsed "the King in Yellow". The four stories which comprised the title were good. There were several other works in this booklet. The story called 2The demoiselle d'Ys" was a good enough time-travel ghost story, but unfortunately something we have encountered many times before. That's the problem with having read so much before: you get a bit jaded.
The short piece called "The Prophet's Paradise" was odd and interesting. Then there were several short stories about various streets in Paris. They were well-written enough, I suppose, but rather boring. Most of them seemed rather pointless.

On to "The quest for the future", the last van Vogt book I bought this summer.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341408 - This was a reply to message #341406
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

Tuesday November 6, 2012 7:56 AM
Various Faerun D&D source books....
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341409 - This was a reply to message #341408
TheShadowlord

Wednesday November 7, 2012 5:58 PM
Going to play/run a game, or just for fun?

I know most of my RPG reading is because I like reading it and thinking about all the funs stuff that would be fun to try, even if I most liekly never will get around to trying it out.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341410 - This was a reply to message #341409

Listing 371 to 380 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 36 37 38 39 40