PAGES: 42 33 34 35 36 37
TheShadowlord
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday July 15, 2012 11:13 PM
"Fleet of worlds" by Larry Niven and some other guy. More Puppeteer stuff. Pretty good.
"Delirium's mistress" by Tanith Lee. Excellent so far.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341078 - This was a reply to message #341064
TheShadowlord

Wednesday July 18, 2012 4:40 AM
"Louisa the poisoner" by Tanith Lee.
In length and style much like a children's book, but one that would do Poe proud. The title says it all, really. Quite good. Another example of why I like Lee.

REading "WEb of illusion" by William W Conners, a Ravenloft module I bought on vacation.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341088 - This was a reply to message #341078
TheShadowlord

Friday July 20, 2012 4:14 PM
"WEb of illusion" was meh. I don't like Ravenloft adventures where you kill the Darklord and dissolve the realm. Kind of ruins the point.
¨However, it could be a decent enough adventure in a more normal setting.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341097 - This was a reply to message #341088
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 23, 2012 12:11 AM
QUOTED  I don't like Ravenloft adventures where you kill the Darklord and dissolve the realm. Kind of ruins the point.

That's the hardest thing to balance with most settings. I love ones with a good overarching plot, but if you make it too important, the players can't do anything significant without effectively destroying the whole setting.

Currently reading The Black Company by Glen Cook. I've read some of his other stuff and had this recommended to me approximately a gajillion times, but the first book is surprisingly hard to find. Thank god for used bookstores.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341100 - This was a reply to message #341097
Nix

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 23, 2012 8:35 PM
The Eberrron Campaign Setting for D&D 3.5. Not exactly heavy reading, but now that I've finally found a copy (after 4 years or so of looking) it'll be great to take my group into a vastly different genre than we've played before. I just hope I can pull it off.

The Black Company books are pretty good, especially if you like your wizards/sorcerers to be total badasses. No offense to Dresden, but he gots nothing on the Ten Who Were Taken. (BTW I have the first two Black company series in a couple of anthologies so )
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #341101 - This was a reply to message #341100
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday July 24, 2012 2:44 AM
Nix has it. You can grab the Anthologies for cheaper than the whole series individually at the major bookstores.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341104 - This was a reply to message #341101
TheShadowlord

Tuesday July 24, 2012 2:45 AM
HAve read "BLack Spine", a series of adventures for Dark Sun. Right up my alley since it had Githyanki, Githzerai and the Astral plane.
Now reading "Champions of Mystara", detailing places like the Sind desert, west of the Known World.

Also started on "Warrior Witch of Hel (sic)" by Asa Drake. I bought it on the strength of the name and the horribly cheesy classic pulp style cover. So far so meh. Just what I expected, really.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341105 - This was a reply to message #341101
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Thursday July 26, 2012 12:31 AM
QUOTED  The Black Company books are pretty good, especially if you like your wizards/sorcerers to be total badasses. No offense to Dresden, but he gots nothing on the Ten Who Were Taken.

Yeah, I'm loving it so far. Though... after the events of the last Dresden book, that final part might not be accurate anymore.

I really like the darkness of the setting, though some of my minor quibbles with Cook's writing remain there. (jumbled, sometimes very confusing to read since he moves so fast and doesn't like to stop) But it's quite good so far.

QUOTED  Nix has it. You can grab the Anthologies for cheaper than the whole series individually at the major bookstores.

Haven't been able to find the first anthology either. It's always Water Sleeps or one of the later anthologies.

And I'm going to take a moment here to get on my soapbox and complain about the other book I'm sort of reading - The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. So. This guy's made a big fuss with The Name of the Wind and being heralded as the fantasy writing messiah by some people, and frankly... I don't really care for his books. I think I've finally figured out why. You see, for fantasy especially, but really all writing, you need two things: solid writing, and solid concepts.

Rothfuss is a solid writer, which is why I've made it this far. He's good at snippy dialogue and pretty decent with characters. What he absolutely lacks, however, is good concepts. He doesn't know how to write backstory for shit - which is why no one in his books ever has any, except Kvothe - and all his foreign lands blur together in a welter of generic fantasy. Even Kvothe's people, the Edema Ruh who are supposed to be exotic and feared are... exactly like everyone else.

His complete refusal to explain anything about the Chandrian was cool at first. Okay, making them mysterious, that's dandy. Aaaaaand now that it's been two books without telling us anything, I'm forced to accept the more likely explanation: he's so bad at backstory he doesn't want to explain about them, because he knows it will not live up to the build up in any way. Everything people are lauding about being so original is cribbed off of other better fantasy series - which he could have totally done well, except oh derp, he forgot to give us any reason to find it different. Naming was cool when Ursula K. Leguin did it. The school of magic was cool when any five thousand books, but most recently Harry Potter, did it. If you refuse to give it something to distinguish itself, you're just feeding us the lukewarm leftovers of other, better writers.

He's sort of like the opposite of Robert Jordan. Robert Jordan's writing was not very good. Robert Jordan's concepts behind the series? Fantastic. He's a landmark for a reason, and it's not his great skill at describing every character's outfit.

Also, I swear to god, if the modern Kvothe plotline - the only interesting thing - doesn't move forward in the next book, I will NOT read any more of these until it does. I refuse to slog through 700 pages of mediocrity where he refuses to give any of the things that seem like they might actually be interesting. The Black Company has revealed more of the major backstory in the half a book I'm through, and you know what? That didn't somehow ruin the story. It didn't kill the mystery. It just made it that much more interesting and cool.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341109 - This was a reply to message #341105
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

Saturday July 28, 2012 11:29 AM
here.

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Black-Company-Glen-Cook/dp/0765319233/ ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343453305&sr=1-2&keywords=the+black+company

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/chronicles-of-the-black-company-glen-co ok/1022727438?ean=9780765319234
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341119 - This was a reply to message #341109
TheShadowlord

Sunday July 29, 2012 5:30 AM
"From the Earth to the Moon" by Jules Verne
To my shame, this is only the second Verne story I've read (well, will have read when I'm done), the other being "20 000 leagues under the sea". I'm only 2 chapters into it, but it seems prmising so far. I was slightly surprised by the humor evinced in this one, with the Gun Club.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341129 - This was a reply to message #341119

Listing 341 to 350 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 33 34 35 36 37