PAGES: 42 32 33 34 35 36
TheShadowlord
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 2, 2012 6:08 PM
"Ghost breaker" by Goulart. Light-hearted, rather tongue-in-cheek stories about an occult detective in a world where magic and ghosts etc. exist but are rare enough that most people have no experience with or knowledge of them, yet no of the existence.
Quite entertaining.

On to "Across a billion years" by Robert Silverberg. Starts aout promising. Epistilary story about archeologists working to find out about some ancient race.
Yes, I'm getting rather weary of the whole Ancient Superadvanced Race thing too, but cliches are cliches for a reason, and so long as the story is done well, who cares how cliched it is?
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340907 - This was a reply to message #340901
TheShadowlord

Saturday May 5, 2012 9:12 PM
I've reread "Moonshadow" by John Marc deMAtteis and Jon J Muth.
A watercolor story of the eponymous protagonist.
It never fails to amaze and move me. If only more graphic novels like this were made.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340920 - This was a reply to message #340907
TheShadowlord

Sunday May 13, 2012 7:03 PM
Finished "Across a billion years", which was excellent. It's stories like that which make old school SF my avorite genre. It's only the second Silverberg book I've read, the first being "The Book of Skulls".
I liked this one better. It's a perfect example of why 'the Ancient One' theme is so popular in SF, and not just Bioware's weird fixation on them.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340943 - This was a reply to message #340920
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday May 19, 2012 11:00 AM
Just finished Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth by Simon R. Green. If you've never checked out the Nightside books, I can't recommend them enough. This is the climax of the main plotline, and it's absolutely amazing. If you're a fan of Neil Gaiman or Jim Butcher, definitely give them a shot.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #340949 - This was a reply to message #340943
TheShadowlord

Saturday May 19, 2012 6:49 PM
Finished "Moons of Jupiter", sixth of Asimov's Lucky Star novels - SF adventure for younger readers. Not his best work, but I haven't yet read an Asimov story that wasn't entertaining.

On to "Th Martian way", four long stories/novellas by Asimov. I think I've read them all before, but je's always worth another read.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340950 - This was a reply to message #340949
TheShadowlord

Friday May 25, 2012 2:27 AM
Finished "The Martian way" and have started on "planets for sale" by A.E. van Vogt. Seems to be one of his better ones, so far.
I have this warm, gooey feeling from all the classic SF I've been reading.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340959 - This was a reply to message #340950
Lunitari0

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 25, 2012 7:42 AM
Book 12 of the "Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mysteries" series, by Charlaine Harris, "Deadlocked".

"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver was awesome!

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #340964 - This was a reply to message #340890
TheShadowlord

Wednesday May 30, 2012 8:49 PM
"CHaucer's Knight", by Terry Jones of MP fame. His scholarly look at the Knight from Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" and how the character is probably quite different than most Chaucerian scholars have hitherto believed. He certainly backs his hypothesis with a lot of references to the CT and history in general, but I don't really know enough to critique him either way. HIs POV certainly contrasts sharply with what I was taught and with what the Chaucerian experts I have spoken to felt, and I don't remember them bringing up this point, but that could be because controversy was beyond the scope of one course and literary analysis beyond the scope of the others.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340983 - This was a reply to message #340964
TheShadowlord

Tuesday June 19, 2012 9:48 PM
REading Asimov's "The stars like dust" for the first time in nearly 20 years.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341034 - This was a reply to message #340983
Lunitari0

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

Thursday June 28, 2012 1:53 AM
"Mocking Jay", the final book in The Hunger Games trilogy.

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #341064 - This was a reply to message #340851

Listing 331 to 340 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 32 33 34 35 36