PAGES: 42 28 29 30 31 32
TheShadowlord
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday February 7, 2012 3:15 PM
Indeed I did get a kick out of those. I read most of them for a course in Reception Studies I did several years ago.

On to van Vogt's "Tyrannopolis". This reads exactly like one of those awesome 70's social commentray SF movies, like "Soylent Green" or "Rollerball". IOW, a lot of fun.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340677 - This was a reply to message #340663
TheShadowlord

Tuesday February 14, 2012 12:19 PM
Finished Tyranopolis, which was good. Reread Transmetropolitan, which was of course brilliant, and am nearly done rereading the Sandman.
Don't know what I'll read now, but it will probably be "Waystation" by Clifford Simak.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340692 - This was a reply to message #340677
TheShadowlord

Thursday February 16, 2012 4:07 PM
Sandman is good as ever. I think my favorite story has to be Sunday Morning, the penultimate story in The WAke, about Hob Gadling. I don't know why I like it so much, but I find myself rereading that story more than any other in the series.

Have indeed started on Waystation. A Civil War vet becomes a pseudo-airport emplyee for a transgalactic civilization. Quite good. I read it years ago, and remember very little of it, so I want to freshen it up.
Ah, the eternal dilemma: read a new book or read a great book you have read before?

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340701 - This was a reply to message #340692
TheShadowlord

Thursday February 23, 2012 1:16 PM
Finished Waystation, which was good.
On to "The warriors of dawn", by a guy named FOster of whom I have not heard before this book. Looks like old 60's pulp SF. The blurb, something about a heroic tale of man and superwoman, does nothing to dispel this impression.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340712 - This was a reply to message #340701
TheShadowlord

Monday February 27, 2012 1:02 PM
I've been rereading Hellblazer. I guess I'm a bit blasphemous, because I think that Mike Carey's stint is undoubtedly best, though Denise Mina and Andy Diggle are quite close. Jaime Delano had a couple of good stories, but for the most part he was a bit too cheesy for my taste. Garth Ennis, whom many people feel to be the best writer, wrote the best story - the John dying of cancer bit, but the rest of his stuff wasn't that great. Good, but not great. Warren Ellis was ok, and the less said about Brian Azzarello the better.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340724 - This was a reply to message #340712
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday February 27, 2012 10:48 PM
I'd agree with that blasphemy, actually. If you haven't checked out Mike Carey's book series, the Fix Castor novels, you really should - usually comic writers have a hard time switching over to straight up books but his are fantastic.

I've been working my way through the fancy illustrated Poe collection I got for Hanukkah, but sadly the weather hasn't been cooperating - I just can't bring myself to sit around in the sunlight with a warm breeze reading the Cask of Amontillado.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #340727 - This was a reply to message #340724
TheShadowlord

Tuesday February 28, 2012 3:15 AM
Man, I don't think I've read any Poe in 20 years or more. Damn shame, really. So many books, so little time.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340729 - This was a reply to message #340727
TheShadowlord

Friday March 2, 2012 12:07 PM
Been reading through the old Marvel GI Joe comics. A step up in quality from the cartoon, but plenty silly in its own right. A bit too much ninja focus for my taste - I want to read about GI Joe, not Super Best Friends Ninja Squad of Awesomeness.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340732 - This was a reply to message #340729
TheShadowlord

Sunday March 4, 2012 11:26 AM
Started reading "Warriors of Dawn", which is ok. The author has some basic understanding of linguistics and makes a point of showing off, which makes me very happy.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340734 - This was a reply to message #340732
TheShadowlord

Thursday March 8, 2012 3:22 PM
Hellblazer. the stuff not collected in the TPBs. Haven't read any of these before, and was pleasantly surprised to see how good they were. Not the best, but certainly better than Azarello and the current guy.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340738 - This was a reply to message #340734

Listing 291 to 300 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 28 29 30 31 32