PAGES: 42 12 13 14 15 16
TheShadowlord
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 10, 2010 12:49 AM
After noticing a number of people here talking about the Dresden Files, I got and read the first book, Storm Front.

Passable, but I'm in no hurry to get the rest. It reminded me vaguely of Lukyanenko's Watch books, which you would think was a good thing, but it ended up annoying me.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335835 - This was a reply to message #335809
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 10, 2010 7:49 AM
QUOTED  After noticing a number of people here talking about the Dresden Files, I got and read the first book, Storm Front.

Passable, but I'm in no hurry to get the rest. It reminded me vaguely of Lukyanenko's Watch books, which you would think was a good thing, but it ended up annoying me.

Storm Front's probably my least favorite of the series - if you keep reading (which I would highly recommend) you'll notice that the first three are written a lot differently (and not as well in general) as the rest of the series. The first three were written together, then he found a publisher and wrote the rest of the series some years later.

QUOTED  It reminded me vaguely of Lukyanenko's Watch books, which you would think was a good thing, but it ended up annoying me.

That's interesting, because I read Night Watch some time back, and while I liked it, it felt like it could have been done much better. Passable, but I've never bothered to track down the rest.

Though, with that one I felt like it suffered from some translation problems that made it lose some of the grip I've been told it has in Russian. Even the best translation is bound to lose something, like the Vampire Hunter D books.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #335836 - This was a reply to message #335835
TheShadowlord

Monday January 11, 2010 4:30 AM
Now reading Charles Stross' "Saturn's children". Quite good. I have yet to read a book by Stross I haven't thought was good. There are a few I haven't read, so the chance is still there.

Just to amuse you folks with a very out of context quote (spoken in a very cutsy, girly, annoyingly cheerful voice):

"ooo, that's a big colon you've got! Does it go anywhere? It's been a long time since I've been in one of these!"

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335844 - This was a reply to message #335836
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 488

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 12, 2010 12:26 AM
Taming of the Shrew again...getting familiar with my Shakespeare plays again.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #335850 - This was a reply to message #335844
TheShadowlord

Thursday January 14, 2010 3:13 AM
"Saturn's children" wasn't quite as good as the other Stross books I've read, but still enjoyable. And he had a good reason for AI having recognizably human personalities.

Now working on the "Right hand of Doom and other stories of Solomon Kane" by Robert E. Howard. Good stuff. i really can't see why Conan is his most famous creation.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335860 - This was a reply to message #335850
SisqAlpha

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 953

Saturday January 16, 2010 11:01 AM
QUOTED  the Dresden Files

Hell yeah! I wish my coworker hadn't moved back to Oklahoma so I could have finished the damn series.

Currently, I'm reading Imajica (sp?), by Clive Barker. Picked it up just for the author's name and found that I actually enjoy the book....I better, the damned thing is about 800 pages!
"Tuna and bread. Tuna and bread."-----

"Fuck tuna and bread. Star Trek is on."
-------------------------------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~George S. Patton
 Message #335870 - This was a reply to message #335860
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday January 16, 2010 9:12 PM
The Black Company Saga by Glen Cook again....
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #335876 - This was a reply to message #335870
TheShadowlord

Sunday January 31, 2010 2:07 AM
Almuric by Robert E Howard.

Whoda thunkit? Howard writes about people who are extraordinarily large and strong and tough and fast and generally better than your average human.
Inspired by Burroughs' John Carter books, at least in part. Decent enough so far.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335919 - This was a reply to message #335876
TheShadowlord

Tuesday February 16, 2010 1:38 AM
The Haunter of the Ring and other stories by REH.
Yeah, I'm going through an REH period. In general, these are Mythos or Mythos-like stories, which are generally better than his super-barbarian stories.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335973 - This was a reply to message #335919
SisqAlpha

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 953

Tuesday February 16, 2010 10:46 AM
The SAS Survival Handbook.
"Tuna and bread. Tuna and bread."-----

"Fuck tuna and bread. Star Trek is on."
-------------------------------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~George S. Patton
 Message #335974 - This was a reply to message #335973

Listing 131 to 140 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 12 13 14 15 16