PAGES: 42 11 12 13 14 15
Kitiara
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,452

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday October 28, 2009 3:59 AM
I didn't even know there was a tv series, it certainly hasn't been shown here! I'll keep my eyes peeled for it, that sounds wonderful.
Anyone you can describe as chipper is to be avoided. You never know when they'll crack. Eventually, they're gonna start gnawing on the nearest thing they can, whether it's a hood ornament or wristwatch, wrist still attached; a moment when that uniform they've made for themselves breaks down and they fall to pieces, right out of it. Give me the life-haters any day. They'll play you straight. -Oobie
 Message #335580 - This was a reply to message #335579
goddess_dawn

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,249

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday October 28, 2009 5:09 AM
I know it is on HBO here, maybe FOXTEL will have it. I don't have HBO so I've only seen bits and pieces that are shown online. However, you can purchase the boxset - but it might not be PAL.... have to look into that for someone else so I'll let you know what I find if interested!!
Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

i'm going sane in a crazy world.....
before you insult someone, you should first walk a mile in their shoes.

That way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
 Message #335581 - This was a reply to message #335580
Kitiara

Wednesday October 28, 2009 5:35 PM
Thanks, that'd be awesome. Our video player isn't reliable so if it pops up on dvd anywhere that'd be the best bet for me! I'll definitely look for it with your recommendation!
Anyone you can describe as chipper is to be avoided. You never know when they'll crack. Eventually, they're gonna start gnawing on the nearest thing they can, whether it's a hood ornament or wristwatch, wrist still attached; a moment when that uniform they've made for themselves breaks down and they fall to pieces, right out of it. Give me the life-haters any day. They'll play you straight. -Oobie
 Message #335583 - This was a reply to message #335581
goddess_dawn

Wednesday October 28, 2009 6:46 PM
ok Kit, it looks like it is only available for region 1 dvd players

However, i'm sure you can play it on a pc - trailer

Message #335584 - This was a reply to message #335583
Kitiara

Wednesday October 28, 2009 8:17 PM
Looks great!! Region one is fine, we have a region free player anyway

Back on topic, I'm currently reading a bit of non-fiction; "Conception, Pregnancy and Birth" by Miriam Stoppard. Pretty much right where I'm at right now
 Message #335585 - This was a reply to message #335584
goddess_dawn

Monday November 2, 2009 10:31 PM
Started reading The Gathering Storm... I had to walk away for a bit as it gets INTENSE

Message #335603 - This was a reply to message #335585
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Sunday November 8, 2009 2:34 AM
Have finally finished Tanith Lee's "Anackire." Pretty much the same as "The Storm Lord".
Story is hard to get into, gets interesting, then is ruined by deus ex machina climax. I'm generally fond of Lee, but sometimes her stories suffer because she doesn't really manage to get the feeling she wants across.

just started on Tolkien's "the Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun" Most of the book is comments by the Prof or Christopher on the history of Norse, the poetics of Norse, and Tolkien's desire to do what he did, etc. Haven't gotten to the actual poems yet.
Really, this book is only for you if you a) are familiar with the tales in question and have some basic Norse philology, b) a fanatic adherent of Tolkien and need everything remotely related to him, c) preferably both.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335624 - This was a reply to message #335603
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday November 8, 2009 9:26 PM
Recently read two excellent books.

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker which was faboo. Awesome kid's book, but written in a way that older readers can appreciate it too, with some great art inside as well. All around solid piece that reminded me a little bit of Coraline.

Also read The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly, loaned by a friend who said I'd like it, and he was dead on. Can't say enough good about this book - the writing was well done, the plot was great, and the way the fairytales were twisted gave me chills in some parts. (especially Red Riding Hood, twisted enough to start with)
Highly recommended if you liked anything along the lines of Pan's Labyrinth or fairytales in general.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #335629 - This was a reply to message #335624
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Wednesday January 6, 2010 12:59 PM
Have read "Song of Kali" by Dan Simmons
Pretty forgetable. i cannot understand what it was doing in the Fantasy Masterworks series. guess they ran out of good stuff (how?)and started filling in with dross.

also read Tanith Lee's The Secret Books of Venus I & II ("faces under water" and "Saint fire"). Pretty good, though not as good as her Paradys books.
Again set in alt.u Italy (Venice, if you couldn't guess). Love stories with odd people and weird magic.

If there are three things Tanith Lee cannot seem to avoid putting in her books (except Piratica) it's:
- sex (often incestuous, for limited values of 'often')
- cross-dressing/transsexualism/hermaphrodites
- people being unwittingly or unwillingly used as vessels of power and discarded by magic/gods

often in some sort of combo. so long as the stories are good, fine, but sometimes I wonder if she is a little too hung up on these things.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335796 - This was a reply to message #335629
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday January 6, 2010 8:49 PM
So, finally some time to catch up on my reading over break.

Read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant after having several people recommend it to me. Following the life of one of the few female biblical characters, Dinah, who's only really mentioned in one story, it's a fascinating piece of historical fiction. Definitely recommend it, especially to those of you who liked Clan of the Cave Bear.

Finished the first book of the Faded Sun trilogy by C.J Cherryh, which I picked up cheapo in an omnibus edition. I'm still trying to branch out into scifi more, and this was a good pick - reminds me a bit of Dune. The characters are all very solid, and the odd three way relationship between humans, mri, and regul is well done.

Touch The Dark by Karen Chance was a gift from a friend, and I quite enjoyed it. It's very obviously a first book, but the author has enough interesting twists to make her world unique and I'm looking forward to the next one. If you like things in the vein of True Blood or the Dresden Files, this is up your alley.

Speaking of which, in order to keep myself from going insane with the lack of updates on the next Dresden Files book, I picked up The Devil You Know by Mike Carey. I'd mistakenly got the third of this series before I left home, but it was so damn good I've been keeping an eye out for them ever since. Wonderful blend reminiscent of Constantine, Dresden Files, a hint of Neil Gaiman, and something else altogether. I'm making myself wait to get the next one, since this is the only series that seems to work as a Dresden substitute.

Currently reading The Green Rider by someone whose name I'm too lazy to go look at. Nice air of mystery so far - the main character is a bit cookie-cutter, but there's enough good stuff going on here to keep me reeled in. (and the fact my sister might stop feeding me if I don't hurry up and finish it so she can have the book back, cough)

Looking forward to re-reading Frankenstein in the near future for english class.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #335809 - This was a reply to message #334386

Listing 121 to 130 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 11 12 13 14 15